Old 23rd April 2003, 22:17   #1
sean_malice

legal

What about rebroadcasting already existing TV Channels (Fox, NBC, etc...) ?
Can we do it, i mean legally ? Doesn't this infridge on copyright laws ?
I saw people doing it already and find that pretty cool. Watching TV at my job..
But is there any risk or is this / will be tolerated by TV copmpanies ?
I'd like this to go on for a long time.

Any views on this would be apreciated.
sean_malice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2003, 23:53   #2
Sawg

It's illegal. (Though that doesn't stop some people)
Old 24th April 2003, 01:27   #3
Jay
Moderator Alumni

actually copyright applies the same way as it does in any other medium so you should only broadcast what you have rights or permission to broadcast.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2003, 01:42   #4
Bean-Net-Ken

What actions would be taken is the question, Would they tell you to turn it off or would they come and get you? You could have sorce come from Canada, no RIAA.
Bean-Net-Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2003, 06:49   #5
Cody
dot com bomb
Beta Team

Just removed

Im sure some trained monkeys watch and ban the streams that get complaints from the content owners.
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2003, 08:52   #6
Jay
Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally posted by Bean-Net-Ken
What actions would be taken is the question, Would they tell you to turn it off or would they come and get you? You could have sorce come from Canada, no RIAA.
the RIAA would not be who to worry about, it's content owners, just like with audio. The RIAA represents content owners for music just as the MPAA represent content owners for movies.
Old 24th April 2003, 10:09   #7
Cody
dot com bomb
Beta Team

So...

Well then who does it for TV? If no one does this yet lets set one up. *grin*
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2003, 10:34   #8
Jay
Moderator Alumni

that's a good question, not sure, but I know that studio owners (IE NBC ABC CBS) and others would still have a vested interest in their content being distributed.

As for setting it up, where do you want to start
Old 23rd May 2003, 22:47   #9
Todd Daugherty

It's probably the N.A.B (National Association of Broadcasters)
todd
Todd Daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2003, 05:13   #10
Jeeper One
Major Dude

Hi everyone:

It's ILLEGAL to rebroadcast material that YOU KNOW is copyrighted. It's as simple as that.

Some would say that Old Time Radio programs are copyrighted, but the truth is that EVERY Old Time Radio program BEFORE January 1st, 1978 are considered PUBLIC DOMAIN. I would imagine there are a handful of old TV shows that you don't even see on TVLand are considered to be PUBLIC DOMAIN too, but that list is rather small.

Either way you look at it, unlike the early days of SHOUTcast, we KNOW what the rules are THIS time. As such, I'd be SHOCKED if we had another round of the very same thing which (STILL, thanks to The RIAA) plagues Internet Radio once Internet TV takes off in full swing.

Just MY $.02 worth....Cheers for now :-)

Patrick Cook
Jeeper One Radio Network
kpdcnetradio@msn.com
Denver, Colorado
http://kpdcnetradio.***********/ (Our Flagship Station)

Pat Cook
Englewood, CO
Jeeper One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2003, 05:36   #11
Element-LZC

Wouldnt that make all the music shoutcasts illegal too? I mean i dont think everyone running a shoutcast radio got permission from all the artists to broadcast their music on the radio.
Element-LZC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2003, 11:56   #12
sankt

Quote:
It's ILLEGAL to rebroadcast material that YOU KNOW is copyrighted. It's as simple as that.
Your also forgetting that Nullsoft has not released NSV tools for commercial use.
Any use of NSV tools for any form of compensation is not acceptable under the current users agreement.
sankt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2003, 16:11   #13
Vchat20
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by sankt
Your also forgetting that Nullsoft has not released NSV tools for commercial use.
Any use of NSV tools for any form of compensation is not acceptable under the current users agreement.
not to sound dumb or anything, but whatexactly does that mean? that currently since NSV is not released for commercial use it IS ok to rebroadcastcopyrighted material or it IS NOT ok to rebroadcast copyrighted material. cuz the main reason I am wondering is cuz me and a couple buddies over at a "Knight Rider" forum are planning on starting a live 24/7 netv that broadcast Knight Rider episodes non-stop and they are worried about legal issues involved in this.
Vchat20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2003, 23:09   #14
Element-LZC

Unless you get persmission by the owners t obroadcat that its illeagal. It does not matter what dosftware you use.
Element-LZC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2003, 00:59   #15
Todd Daugherty

Hello all,

I'm going to through my two cents in. First it is illegal to rebroadcast or even used copyright material. The problem I have with this however is the RIAA, MPAA and the Copyright Office attempt to make the cost of getting permission to high that the small webcaster can't afford it. Not only do you have the pay the $500 to $2,500 to the RIAA group but the you also have to pay around $200 or higher to ASCAP, SESAC, BMI. The next problem I have with it is the "Users Rights" how does that apply to webcasting. I mean think about it you can broadcast a tv program to your friends using shoutcast because you'll have the MPAA and the RIAA on your butt. But, at the same time you can invite your friends over to your house and watch the show. Don't get me wrong I'm all for Copyrights i've got a few stories copyrighted. However, I believe that the fee shouldn't be so high that no one can afford it and or it disrupt the free flow of idea's

Todd
Todd Daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2003, 00:46   #16
Bean-Net-Ken

Problem is these goverment groups don't want kids starting things like this. No kid would spend say 500$ a month to have a fun naborhood radio or in this case even the ability to start a TV station. In other news it is to keep the currently big to stay big and not see the great opertunities out there!
Bean-Net-Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2003, 04:05   #17
Jeeper One
Major Dude

Hi everyone:
Quote:
Originally posted by Bean-Net-Ken
Problem is these goverment groups don't want kids starting things like this. No kid would spend say 500$ a month to have a fun naborhood radio or in this case even the ability to start a TV station. In other news it is to keep the currently big to stay big and not see the great opertunities out there!
Maybe it's about time OUR OWN GOVERNMENT TAKES ITS OWN ADVICE when it comes to CONNECTING WITH KIDS...

Then too, about THE ONLY people the government knows how to IDENTIFY with are CORPORATE & BIG PAC SPECIAL INTEREST GROUPS AND THEIR FUCKIN' LOBBYISTS who could JUMP OFF A FUCKIN' CLIFF as far as *I'm* concerned.

Acting in OUR "best interests??? HA. They have NO FUCKIN' CLUE as to what my "best interests are (but they like to THINK they do though!).

Just MY (no-so-humble) opinion...Cheers for now :-)

Patrick Cook
Jeeper One Radio Network
kpdcnetradio@msn.com
Denver, Colorado
Jeeper One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2003, 04:11   #18
Vchat20
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeeper One
Hi everyone:

Maybe it's about time OUR OWN GOVERNMENT TAKES ITS OWN ADVICE when it comes to CONNECTING WITH KIDS...

Then too, about THE ONLY people the government knows how to IDENTIFY with are CORPORATE & BIG PAC SPECIAL INTEREST GROUPS AND THEIR FUCKIN' LOBBYISTS who could JUMP OFF A FUCKIN' CLIFF as far as *I'm* concerned.

Acting in OUR "best interests??? HA. They have NO FUCKIN' CLUE as to what my "best interests are (but they like to THINK they do though!).

Just MY (no-so-humble) opinion...Cheers for now :-)

Patrick Cook
Jeeper One Radio Network
kpdcnetradio@msn.com
Denver, Colorado
agree 100% with that brother!!
Vchat20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast TV / Nullsoft Video