Old 30th September 2007, 23:51   #1
Joel
Debian user
(Forum King)

About to change to Linux

Hi all!

It's been a while since I post
First: This thread is not about saying bad things against Microsoft, is about changing the OS.

Now...I'ven using Windows since 3.11 and now I'm about to change to Linux...I'm going to try Ubuntu and Mandriva and maybe Debian.

So, any hints about them?

Normally I use Windows with MSN Messenger, IRC chats, some p2p file sharing, programming (HTML, C, C++) so..I'm totally lost in this topics in Linux.

I'm sure I'm making a good step but, as a blind, I can fallout

* PC: Intel Core 2 DUO E6550 @ 2.33 GHz with 2 GB RAM: Archlinux-i686 with MATE.
* Laptop: Intel Core 2 DUO T6600 @ 2.20 GHz with 4 GB RAM: Archlinux-x86-64 with MATE.
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2007, 00:01   #2
zootm
Forum King

If you use Ubuntu, you can add programs to do whatever you want in the Applications/Add/Remove... menu. There's a couple of things which are more complicated to set up (DVD playback, for example) but most stuff is automatic.

One thing to note is that we're only about a week away from the next Ubuntu release, so you might want to wait for that. Many shiny new things.

For MSN, Gaim (now Pidgin) is included by default. For IRC you can install "XChat GNOME" from Add/Remove (or just search in the dialog for "IRC" and install any one that appeals, I like XChat GNOME though). For P2P I quite like uTorrent, which works completely flawlessly using Wine, so it might be worth trying that out ("Wine Windows Emulator" in Add/Remove, then just double-click the download as you would in Windows ).

For programming you could install Eclipse and the plugins for whatever language. I don't do a lot of C or C++ so I'm not sure if there's anything better.

If you don't see very much software available, go to "preferences" and tick the boxes to enable "universe", "multiverse", and whatever else is there. It's all very self-explanatory.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2007, 00:02   #3
fc*uk

remember the man pages....

personally I like the debian style distros better (ubuntu). There is something that appeals to be about apt-get.
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2007, 00:14   #4
Vil

IM: Pidgin/Gaim
IRC: XChat (I don't use XChat Gnome, just regular XChat... I've actually compiled the newest version from source, but you can install it from repositories easier)
P2P: Limewire and plenty of others
BT: deluge,ktorrent,rtorrent to name some of the better ones, rtorrent is a ncurses (command line) client, so that might not be your thing, the other two have GUIs
Programming: Geany is what I use mostly, but it probably isn't the best. I just like it.

All of these are in the repositories, making it very easy to install them.

Firefox comes with Ubuntu by default, and Opera is easy to install should you want that (www.opera.com - it isn't in the repositories). There are a world of other browsers as well.

present day present time
Vil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2007, 01:13   #5
mikm
Major Dude

On Ubuntu install build-essential from the commandline/in synaptic. It'll give you the libraries and compilers needed for doing most stuff. The ubuntu-restricted-extras package will give you a lot of the necessary libraries needed for stuff like MP3 playback.

Plain xchat (not xchat-gnome) for IRC. I like using irssi personally, but it's curses-based so you don't have too much in the way of a UI.
BT: I like ktorrent a lot.
I don't use any other P2P stuff, but I've heard aMule is pretty good.
kate is a pretty good all-around editor, but it's KDE app (it's Qt-based). If you want GTK (for Gnome), geany is pretty good.

powered by C₂H₅OH
mikm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2007, 01:16   #6
Joel
Debian user
(Forum King)

ok...cool..but how about security...
for example antivirus, firewall or spyware killers like adaware..
I know wine can run windows apps...but aren't this kida of apps just for linux os?

* PC: Intel Core 2 DUO E6550 @ 2.33 GHz with 2 GB RAM: Archlinux-i686 with MATE.
* Laptop: Intel Core 2 DUO T6600 @ 2.20 GHz with 4 GB RAM: Archlinux-x86-64 with MATE.
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2007, 02:01   #7
Vil

clam-av is the only antivirus I know of for linux... It works I suppose, its never been an issue for me.

Linux comes with a built in firewall, but by default I think Ubuntu has it setup to accept all... Firestarter might be a good GUI configuration tool for you, personally I do it by hand.

present day present time
Old 1st October 2007, 04:36   #8
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
iptables is your friend

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2007, 14:28   #9
Evil Lu
Forum Maitresse

I've been tinkering with Sabayon, it's based on Gentoo but isn't such a pain to install. Also comes with all your messengers, irc, p2p, etc. Might be worth having a look at their pages although they were slightly blinding last time I checked them.
Evil Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2007, 20:27   #10
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Joel
ok...cool..but how about security...
for example antivirus, firewall or spyware killers like adaware..
I know wine can run windows apps...but aren't this kida of apps just for linux os?
Virus software for Windows running on Linux would be largely useless (and probably not work, since they tend to interact with the OS at a very low level). Ad/spyware generally isn't written for Linux (there's just no market - I've seen one written in Java but it was so poorly implemented that it couldn't install on Linux).

As for viruses, they do exist for Linux, and it's always best to keep up with security updates. I don't use a virus checker on Linux but I typically didn't use one on Windows!

Old 1st October 2007, 21:48   #11
fc*uk

if you allow no install privs from the user account .... and only install software as root .... and never really run as root (sudo in a terminal), then there is a snowballs chance in hell that you are going to get a virus/spyware if they exist or not....
Old 1st October 2007, 22:38   #12
zootm
Forum King

You can always install programs as a user, you just can't install them globally. On Linux the user is completely capable of completely hosing their entire user account including anything they have access to, which when it's a single user machine is pretty much as much as anyone has to do.

Old 2nd October 2007, 00:24   #13
fc*uk

I have never been able to install programs as a user on any of the boxes I have setup without somehow switching to some form of root access first. Granted, this can be done from within the user account .... however, it is not really the user doing it. Or at least I never thought it was as root privs are needed.
Old 2nd October 2007, 00:40   #14
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
You can. Look at options to the 'ol ./configure command.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2007, 03:00   #15
fc*uk

Quote:
Originally posted by k_rock923
You can. Look at options to the 'ol ./configure command.
ahhhh yes indeed. Not the 'typical' was of doing things.... at least not the way I typically do it
Old 2nd October 2007, 09:45   #16
zootm
Forum King

In some cases it's as simple as just moving the executable, as well. You can always do anything you like locally, including running as much code as you feel like. root is required for global changes to the machine.

Old 2nd October 2007, 19:38   #17
Vil

If you backup the things your account has access to, even if you hose it you can just restore everything back to normal, no reinstalling the OS.

present day present time
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions