Old 17th February 2006, 08:19   #1
Daniel Primed

Send a message via AIM to Daniel Primed Send a message via Yahoo to Daniel Primed
Windows Media Player grabage, need help, dw I use Winamp!

I've been having some trouble with updating my music recently. I picked up a laptop a while ago and let WMP update all of my music. I had to disconnect from the net and the job was 1/2 done, anyways ever since I have reconnected it never updates the old music no matter how hard I try. I have tried every possible way in WMP and it won't do it. It loves to move my files around the place but thats about it. So how can I update the rest of my collection. I have heard of programs that update for you. Can anyone suggest one for me to use?

btw using WMP9

Need plentyof suggestions.
Daniel Primed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2006, 08:48   #2
NJK
FRYSK BLOED TSJOCH OP- FRISIAN

www.microsoft.com

they provided you with WMP,
since that is what you are using you should turn to them.

This here is WINAMP forum and not WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER forum

Each Thursday a new show on Celtica Radio with Darkwave music.

Nope, it's not a radiostation just a non stop darkwave music stream

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2006, 08:58   #3
. - .... .- -. ....
Backpacking

Send a message via ICQ to . - .... .- -. .... Send a message via Yahoo to . - .... .- -. ....
Quote:
Originally posted by spaceplay
www.microsoft.com

they provided you with WMP,
since that is what you are using you should turn to them.

This here is WINAMP forum and not WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER forum
Actually, from the title of the thread, it looks as if he uses, or intends to use Winamp as an alternative player. Might I suggest that if you are going to reply to people in that manner, it might be better that you not reply at all....

Daniel, I don't understand exactly what you mean by WMP "updating" your music? Can you provide more details?

Like my photography? Buy some here....
. - .... .- -. .... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2006, 10:23   #4
Vie
Forum King

Location: Thoron fields and Duranium shadows. Posts: Crap mostly
DRM protection.

Bet you.

Member most in need of SpellCheck Lifetime Achievement Award

I'm a Twitch Streamer these days, it's weird.
Vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2006, 10:32   #5
Daniel Primed

Send a message via AIM to Daniel Primed Send a message via Yahoo to Daniel Primed
I am a huge Winamp fan. Its just that I rip and update thru Windows Media pLayer as Winamp doesn't do that and WMA is a great format.

Okay, what happens is that Windows media player updates your music when your online. I was online for the first time of using my laptop(with my music just moved accross and some new ripped tracks as well). It updated my music as I was going as it should but was onlt about 2/3 of the way thru when I had to disconnect. Ever since then I have never been able to full update the other 1/3 of my collection. I have tried everything possible in the updating options, updating the album by itself, searching for non updated items etc.

This 1/3 is partially updated but is missing various parts.

Tonight I cleared my all of the music in the WMP libraya and put a CD in, assuming that all of the previos information is wiped. But it remembers the various details of that 1/3 still even though I have removed it from the library. When I rip it loads with 1/2 of the details filled in.

So what I have recently decided to do is to clear the library and to rerip the 1/3 of my collection. But there are still kinda thing holding the old information. I would probably want to delete it once I find out what it is.

So is there any sort of container that holds this information, if so what is it called and where is it located. It's prolly a dll file or something.... hmm

This is ever so frustrating. I absolutely love Winamp it and advertise it where ever I go. I'm currently working on a winamp skin. Winamp rocks I just wanna be able to have my collection all beautifully insync.

Been doing some indepth hunting and I think that I've found it. Man the support is terrible for WMP. Argh.
Old 17th February 2006, 10:48   #6
. - .... .- -. ....
Backpacking

Send a message via ICQ to . - .... .- -. .... Send a message via Yahoo to . - .... .- -. ....
Yep - sounds like DRM protection/WMP screwup. Basically what that means is that when you rip a CD with Windows Media Player, it encodes DRM-encrypted files which can be *only* played on the computer which encoded them. You can't give them to your friends; you might be unable to play them after reinstalling Windows on the same computer.

You might think that wma is a great format, but believe me, there are much better alternatives. For more information on why not to use WMA, read here.

Anyhow, back to your problem. Seeing as you are re-ripping your CD's again, might I suggest that instead of using WMA, that you download Exact Audio Copy and the LAME encoder, and rip your CD's to -aps mp3s instead. You can share them, they will work on any portable player, and it will eliminate all of the problems associated with WMA....

Like my photography? Buy some here....
. - .... .- -. .... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2006, 10:56   #7
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

/Winamp marketing mode on

Or purchase Winamp Pro for your ripping needs

/Winamp marketing mode off
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2006, 10:57   #8
Vie
Forum King

MP3, Ogg Vorbis, Monkey Audio and meny others.

MP3 with the LAME encoder is probably the best for your needs, as Ogg Vorbis is better for most needs, but isnt always suported.

Old 17th February 2006, 15:42   #9
mysterious_w
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Primed
and WMA is a great format.
I have a feeling gaekwad2 will have a minor stroke when he reads this.

mysterious_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2006, 21:12   #10
Daniel Primed

I have EAC on my PC which is great.

If I were to remove the details in the encoding of the songs how would I go about it. Every song or can I just remove a file?

Also what if I want to convert my some of my WMAs to MP3 the programs woyuld allow it. I've lost/scratched up some of my CDs.
Old 17th February 2006, 21:35   #11
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Quote:
Originally posted by mysterious_w
I have a feeling gaekwad2 will have a minor stroke when he reads this.
If that was true I'd be long dead.

No, instead I'll simply link to this as usual.

Btw that's WMA Standard, WMA Pro is pretty good.
Quote:
If I were to remove the details in the encoding of the songs how would I go about it. Every song or can I just remove a file?

Also what if I want to convert my some of my WMAs to MP3 the programs woyuld allow it. I've lost/scratched up some of my CDs.
If they aren't 'protected' you could do that, but you'd lose quality.

About the details, you'll have to update the tags in every file, I'd recommend you try some mass-tagging programs like The Godfather (don't know if it supports WMA though).
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2006, 22:00   #12
Daniel Primed

I might go for Ogg Vorbis. I don't think that I can update the music thru AEC, how can I update Ogg Vorbis music. ie what program?
Old 17th February 2006, 22:03   #13
gaekwad2
Foorum King

What exactly do you mean by update?

EAC can fetch CD information from freedb and use it for tagging.
Old 17th February 2006, 22:03   #14
Vie
Forum King

The best you can do is to just re-rip it.

And then all the files will be perfect sound, and you never need to "update" them.

Old 17th February 2006, 22:05   #15
Daniel Primed

By update I am refering to getting song info from the net. ier name, cover art etc.

EAC can do that for ogg vorbis?
Old 17th February 2006, 22:10   #16
gaekwad2
Foorum King

It can get the info when you enter the CD, before you rip it.

It can't update existing files.
Old 17th February 2006, 22:46   #17
Daniel Primed

Man I feel like the biggest novice here.

I have done some more research and stumbled accross this:

http://www.mgshareware.com/frmmain.shtml

It rips to ogg Vorbis and updates just like EAC, from the same database. I think that I'll just use that one as I've been having trouble with this encoding stuff.

I don't see much of a problem with this program so if there is then please say so. It seems ideal. Thank you for your help guys, very much apreciated.
Old 17th February 2006, 23:46   #18
gaekwad2
Foorum King

From the screenshot it looks as if Freerip contains MySearch spyware. I'd stay away from it.

If EAC is too complicated try CDex, it's absolutely clean and free, and comes with everything you need.
It can even convert files from one format into another (not from WMA though).

EAC in Secure Mode is the safest ripper though, it may even be able to produce error-free rips from your scratched CDs.
Old 18th February 2006, 01:10   #19
Daniel Primed

It doesn't do Ogg Vorbis though? Or have I missed something?

Is there any other Ogg Vorbis rippers/updaters like the other one that I had found. BTW the spyware thing was an additional extra that I could have installed with the program I chose not to.
Old 18th February 2006, 01:50   #20
gaekwad2
Foorum King

CDex comes with a Vorbis encoder.

EAC needs oggenc.exe, the currently best and fastest version can be downloaded from here (page is in Japanese but all you have to do is click on the link that says oggenc2... (and then unzip it somewhere)).

How to rip to Ogg Vorbis with EAC
(they recommend another oggenc version, quality is the same but these ones are a bit slower (lancer may not work with older processors though))
Old 18th February 2006, 03:25   #21
Daniel Primed

Its ok I've opted for MP3 instead as the Ogg one would some how encrypt the detailas and only load thru the player and now show any details as a file. So I'm not sure whats up with that.

So I'm using CDex and its brilliant. Thanks heaps for your help I am so pleased.
Old 18th February 2006, 10:49   #22
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Quote:
Its ok I've opted for MP3 instead as the Ogg one would some how encrypt the detailas and only load thru the player and now show any details as a file. So I'm not sure whats up with that.
That's just Windows that doesn't know how to read them.
Old 18th February 2006, 16:18   #23
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
Quote:
Originally posted by gaekwad2
From the screenshot it looks as if Freerip contains MySearch spyware. I'd stay away from it.

If EAC is too complicated try CDex, it's absolutely clean and free, and comes with everything you need.
It can even convert files from one format into another (not from WMA though).

EAC in Secure Mode is the safest ripper though, it may even be able to produce error-free rips from your scratched CDs.
I use freerip exclusively, and you have the option to install the mysearch stuff. The option to install is even UNchecked by default.

dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions