Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp for Android

Old 29th April 2013, 10:13   #1
Clem_Dye

Winamp (basic/Pro) plays album tracks in the wrong order

As a forum newbie, my apologies if this issue has been discussed previously, but could someone offer me some advice regarding a Winamp Pro on Android audio file playback issue please?

I use the program XLD on my Mac to rip my CD collection to FLAC audio files. Each album is stored in a folder, and each track is stored in the associated folder, named in the format: "Track Number Artist -- Track Title". So, taking the album Exiter by Depeche Mode as an example, the album format is as follows:

Folder name: Depeche Mode - Exiter
Files in the folder:
01 Depeche Mode - Dream On.flac
02 Depeche Mode - Shine.flac
03 Depeche Mode - The Sweetest Condition.flac
04 Depeche Mode - When The Body Speaks.flac
05 Depeche Mode - The Dead Of Night.flac
06 Depeche Mode - Lovetheme.flac
07 Depeche Mode - Freelove.flac
08 Depeche Mode - Comatose.flac
09 Depeche Mode - I Feel Loved.flac
10 Depeche Mode - Breathe.flac
11 Depeche Mode - Easy Tiger.flac
12 Depeche Mode - I Am You.flac
13 Depeche Mode - Goodnight Lovers.flac

The folder structure is identical on both my Mac when I use Finder to view the directory, and on my Galaxy S2 'phone, when I use the My Files application to view the contents of my SD card, where I store my music. However, when I use Winamp to playback my music, it ignores the track number altogether, and sorts the album's tracks in alphabetical order, which I believe is incorrect. Using the above album as an example, Winamp starts with track 10, Breathe. This is really very annoying! The metadata is correct in terms of album name, artist, etc., at least as far as I can see, but I don't think that that is really relevant here.

To confirm what I was seeing was wrong I tried some other Android music players, and for those that I tried (Rocket Player, as an example), they all listed and played back the album tracks correctly.

A colleague suggested upgrading to the Winamp Pro version of the software, which I did, but this has made no difference to the problem. I can't find any option in the program's settings to change this behaviour.

I seem to recall that when I looked at running Winamp on my Mac sometime ago, it needed cue sheet files (or something like that) in order for Winamp to recognise track layouts correctly. If this is the workaround, then it won't work for me because none of the 100+ CDs that I have ripped on my 'phone has any such associated file, and I don't think that it's something that I should need to do, if other Android music players recognise the track order of my albums correctly, as do external playback devices such as my Western Digital TV streaming box.

Am I missing something obvious here? I don't think that I am, but am happy for others more experienced with the software to correct my misunderstanding.

I hope that this can be sorted because in all other respects, Winamp is a really good player and I want to use it. However, if the program can't follow recognised track naming conventions properly then it's not something that I could ever see myself using.

Winamp Pro shows the following information:

Phone information:
Manufacturer: Samsung
Product: GT-I9100
Model: GT-I9100
Device: GT-I9100
OS Version: 2.3.3

Winamp information:
Winamp Version Name: 1.4.10
Winamp Version Code: 1036
Winamp Version (free/pro): pro
Winamp Washer (yes/no): no
Winamp Lyrics (yes/no): no
Memory Class in MB: 64
Notification controls preference: Basic
Git Hash: c8a3b6ecdeb6e7fae033562124e42c75058e433a:1036
App Location: Main Memory

As annoying as this issue is, what I also find annoying is the total lack of response from the WinAmp support team. I emailed support@winamp.com regarding this issue on 19 April -- so far, nothing by way of an acknowledgement, let alone a response. I could perhaps understand this if I was asking something about the freebie version of the product, but I have actually paid money (OK, not a lot, but the principle is there) for the Pro upgrade, so to get nothing by way of a response is pretty poor, IMHO.

TIA, Cheers

Clem
Clem_Dye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2013, 13:51   #2
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
do you have track numbers in the tags? what field name is used?

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2013, 14:32   #3
Clem_Dye

I haven't checked every file for sure, but for those few that I picked the track number within the album and the total number of tracks was present as expected in the metadata. So even if WinAmp was ignoring the track number in the file titles, it should have found it in the metadata. So, on two counts, it's broken, as it's ignoring valid data in two locations, not one, as I first surmised.

I did a scroll through of some of the review comments on Google Play, and I'm certainly not the only person who's reported this issue with the software.

Clem
Old 21st May 2013, 06:52   #4
RazzMaTazz

I'm frustrated by the same problem. My ID3 tags have the proper track number. In fact, the Winamp player for PC properly orders & plays songs in an album by track number. But Winamp for Android plays the songs in an album in alphabetical order. For many albums (like Pink Floyd's The Wall, or any musical or opera) it's critical to play songs by track number, not alphabetically.
RazzMaTazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2013, 17:40   #5
Clem_Dye

I'm glad that someone else has seen the issue. It confirms, if nothing else, that I'm ripping my CDs correctly and the application is at fault.

The guys at WinAmp did finally respond to my email. Here's their reply.

----- begin -----

Hello,

Thank you for your email.

The current support for FLAC files is limited due to Android OS and
carrier's decisions not to natively support FLACs. Most audio players on
Android uses the built in Google media database and media scanner to
discover files. Until recently, the Google media scanner did not find or
index any FLAC files. And some carriers chose to leave out FLAC decoders
from majority of their devices. Currently, Winamp also depends on the
Google db and media scanner. So our workaround is to include FLAC decoder
and the Folder browse capability to allow our users to locate and play FLAC
files.

And yes, I agree, it's not good enough. Any metadata including track
numbers and such are not honored and we fall back to alphabetical sorting.
If we are not honoring the preceeding "0" in "01..." file name and starting
from "10..." instead, then this is a bug, even with our limited feature set.

We're working on a new version of Winamp with our own media db and scanner
with full FLAC support. The ongoing beta is available in the labs area of
winamp.com. Although it's still not as stable as we'd like, we're working
hard to make it so. And as a music fan and a fan of FLAC, I'm really
looking forward to this release.

If you have any other concerns or questions, please let us know. Thank you
for using Winamp and caring enough to write to us.

Dan Hong
QA Engineer, Winamp for Android
support-android@winamp.com

----- end -----

That's all promising, and I think explains things clearly enough. Let's hope that the fix/fixes aren't too long in coming. because this issue aside, I really like the player, but until it's fixed, it's not something that I'll use.

Clem
Old 21st May 2013, 20:11   #6
RazzMaTazz

Clem_Dye: Thanks for posting that response. (And thanks to Dan Hong for responding to you.) But I have the same problem with my properly-tagged WMA and MP3 files. So it's not just Android's or WinAmp's handling of FLAC.

I have MP3 albums where WinAmp-for-Android lists the songs alphabetically, not in track number order--even though it properly displays the track numbers in front of the song titles.

WinAmp-for-Android doesn't seem to be able to read my WMA track numbers and doesn't display them in front of the song titles. (That could easily be an Android library issue since Google refuses to put any effort into WMA support.)
Old 22nd May 2013, 04:52   #7
RazzMaTazz

I just downloaded MixZing for Android. It has no problem playing an album's WMAs or MP3s by track number.
Old 22nd May 2013, 17:03   #8
Clem_Dye

Yes, but MixZing doesn't provide gapless FLAC playback. Or put it this way, it might -- I asked the developer the question weeks ago and got blanked, so no idea. RocketPlayer is pretty good, but has a bug in that in Album view it fails to list some albums and jumbles-up tracks so that tracks from one album can appear in the list of another. I have the pro version so I get gapless FLAC playback and tracks played in the correct sequence (bugs aside). I've reported the bug to the developer, starting with the 1.7.2 version and at version 2.1 still no fix ....

All in all pretty disappointing. Google Music on later versions of Android appears to handle track sequences correctly and offers gapless FLAC playback, but I can't upgrade my 'phone's software, so am stuck on an older, buggy version. The stock Samsung player is rubbish.

WinAmp will do for me, assuming that the bug can be sorted.

Sigh.

Clem
Old 23rd May 2013, 14:24   #9
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
have you guys tried the beta?

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2013, 01:31   #10
RazzMaTazz

Clem_Dye: MixZing is free. Why don't you try it to see if it does gapless FLAC playback?

MixZing has a couple of other nice features that WinAmp doesn't offer, including metadata/art updating, manual-ID3-tag-editing, folder-playback, video-playback, & one-touch-lyrics.

PowerAmp has the advantage of Shoutcast-- which is the only thing I'll use it for unless the aforementioned bugs get fixed. PowerAmp would have a big advantage of WiFi sync but it doesn't work for me.
Old 30th May 2013, 01:38   #11
RazzMaTazz

Mr. Sinatra:
Yes. I just side-loaded the latest beta from this website. Unfortunately (on my LG Optimus S, Android v2.3), it had the same problems that have driven me away from WinAmp for my primary player (which I otherwise love). I'll keep checking back on WinAmp in hopes that the following bugs get fixed.
1) Albums don't play in track # order. Critical.
2) WiFi sync doesn't work except intermittently and briefly.
Old 5th June 2013, 06:32   #12
RazzMaTazz

Clem_Dye: MixZing just revised their UI and added Shoutcast, so now there's seems to be little reason to use WinAmp instead of MixZing unless maybe you get WinAmp's WiFi sync to work. (I can't.)

I had been using Winamp for my primary music player but the new version of MixZing has won me over with its new user interface and the addition of Shoutcast Radio, etc. Winamp could have owned the Android player app market but they blew it. Terrible executive management and product management.

Some benefits of free MixZing over WinAmp:
1) Swiss army knife plays music, videos, & now Shoutcast radio stations.
2) Lyrics for a song are built-in, one-click away, & free (as are artist bios, YouTube, Wikipedia, & Google search.)
3) Plays by folder, playlist, artist, song, album, & genre.
4) Intuitive, clear, attractive user-interface.
5) Albums play in track # order (not alphabetically).
6) Automatic song recognition & ID3 tag retrieval.
7) Manual ID3 tag editing.
8) 10-band graphic equalizer, free, customizable by song.
9) Built-in search.
Old 2nd July 2013, 22:45   #13
bobcov

Can't seem to play in the order as seen on the screen

Well, I've looked around and I don't see a solution so unfortunately, I'll have to quit Winamp. I can't complain too much considering how much I paid for this beautiful app.( I always keep that little fact in mind) But I guess it's time to move on.
bobcov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2014, 23:51   #14
maximus61

I found some sort of solution to this, at least it works for me. In the media Library pane, the one to the bottom I choosed to show : track - artist - album - title and so on. But the main thing was to have track first, click on the small arrow so it always sorts by track numbers. For some reason now all my tracks plays in correct order
maximus61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2014, 06:05   #15
soulstace

Having the same issue with 1.4.15

Found a workaround. Touch and hold on the album you want to play and select "Enqueue". Tracks are added to playlist in the correct order.

Hope that helps.

P.S. - Tried MixZing. Way too many ads...
soulstace is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp for Android