Old 8th February 2002, 12:56   #1
Yathosho
Forum King

Protect Your Supporters

dear winamp.com staff,

i uploaded my winamp-skins and my avs-presets to winamp.com and in return i get a bunch of daily downloads. unfortunately that's not all i'm getting. there are 20-40 spam-mails in my inbox each day. many of these have attachments with common viruses and worms.

i'd appreciate if you set up the possibility to hide the users email to stop the madness! skinning was one of the features that made winamp that big back in the days (when winplay was the alternative) and plugins give people a lot of possibilities to express themselves. all these features assured winamp a huge community of supporters. please protect these people from destructive code and useless spam.

thanks in advance,

j
Yathosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2002, 15:02   #2
Rant

Send a message via ICQ to Rant Send a message via AIM to Rant Send a message via Yahoo to Rant
There is an email address gathered from the skin creator. Guess you shoulda set up a junk email addie.
Rant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2002, 16:00   #3
Yathosho
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by N e m e s s i s
are you sure the email address was gathered from winamp.com?
actually i set up that email account just for winamp.com, so nobody else would know it. so you might say that it shouldn't bother me. too bad i'm not that selfish
Old 8th February 2002, 21:31   #4
Vie
Forum King

Location: Thoron fields and Duranium shadows. Posts: Crap mostly
good lord I have never been virused once! well sombody sent me somthing about Snow wight and the 7 dwarfs wich was odd so I just bined it.

Member most in need of SpellCheck Lifetime Achievement Award

I'm a Twitch Streamer these days, it's weird.
Vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2002, 02:26   #5
Yathosho
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Vie
good lord I have never been virused once! well sombody sent me somthing about Snow wight and the 7 dwarfs wich was odd so I just bined it.

sorry pal, maybe you don't have any 5-star submissions here. getting spammed or not, users should decide wether they want to be contacted or not.

'm using different email-adresses for the skin and the plugin section and i'm getting spammed on both. the main-purpose of the email should be a backup for a forgotten password. you can hide your's on the board too (the board is not by nullsoft, but that doesnt make a difference).

i studied computer science and i've been working with computers for more than 15 years. i don't think those viruses will threaten me (unregarding the fact that i dont use that email-address anyway). not everybody has the same experience like i do.

all i'm asking for is protecting the supporters of winamp's features. if you never experienced spam or virus emails you're lucky, although it's hard to believe. anyway, don't bite the feeding hand. giving each supporter the option to choose by himself won't hurt anyone!
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions