Old 16th February 2002, 22:50   #1
Shaggyt

WMA to MP3 or WAV

HEEELLLPPPPP!!!!!!!!!! I am running Windows Xp and decided to use Windows Media Player to rip all of my cd collection. Here is the problem... My home stereo and car stereo recognize MP3 formats only, not WMA so when i try to make an MP3 disc (to get around having to chage discs every 30 mins or more) my mp3 players do not recognize the WMA format. Does WINAMP have a plugin for converting WMA files to MP3 or WAV?? I really really reall would greatly appreciate any input or help THANKS
Shaggyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2002, 22:57   #2
rm'
Banned

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....threadid=35634

It's very hard to do. I recommend using a quality ripper to rerip and encode your CDs to MP3.
rm' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2002, 22:57   #3
Rant

Send a message via ICQ to Rant Send a message via AIM to Rant Send a message via Yahoo to Rant
I'd recommend re-ripping them.
Rant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2002, 23:07   #4
Shaggyt

Well the problem with Re_Ripping the files is that over half of my collection which is in wma format I no longer have. The thing is that so far after a week of diligent searching I have failed to find an MP3 Decoder that recognizes the WMA format. They only want to recognize MP3. My only alternative that I can think of (and seriously do not want to do because it will cost me a fortune in cd-r's) is to use Windows Media Player to burn all of the tracks back to cd then re rip them back to my hd. Any extra help or suggestions you might have would be greatly appreciated. I would so love to be able to use all of the new toys that I have bought and not have to carry around a huge book of cd's. Thanks for the fast reply!!
Shaggyt
Old 16th February 2002, 23:10   #5
rm'
Banned

Well, to save money, you could use a CDRW to burn a cd, then rerip it. Problem is, that doesn't save time. Converting WMAs is so incredibly difficult and illegal, that you may as well not bother.
rm' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2002, 23:13   #6
Shaggyt

Well I guess I'm off to wally World to buy several stacks of Cd-R's Thanks for all fo your help. Shaggyt
Old 16th February 2002, 23:26   #7
randman

Didn't earlier versions of Winamp like 2.22 allow conversion of .wma to .wav?
Old 16th February 2002, 23:34   #8
Shaggyt

I'm not sure how long WMA format has been out for because i just recently made the mistake of using it. I only use Winamp 2.78 and have had no other experience with other versions of Winamp. If there is any way you could find out it would be so greatly (and I do mean GREATLY) appreciate any info you may have about other versions allowing this operation. Thanks!

Shaggyt
Old 16th February 2002, 23:39   #9
randman

I was trying to drop you a hint actually. I know for a fact Winamp version 2.22 converts .wma to .wav. It isn't legal, so don't do it. You can find version 2.22 at Winamp Heaven.
Old 16th February 2002, 23:46   #10
Lightspeed

Well there IS a way to convert any format to .WAV

You can play the piece of music you want to convert in any player u like. Meanwhile you start your Wave Studio (or whatever u use, I use Wave Studio ). Set your Audio Record control to 'All' and decrease Volume about to 50%. Now you start recording (make sure u disconnected the microphone if u have one). Start playing the music file. When done, stop recording, close the other player and now you will be able to edit the wave in the Wave Studio (like Volume Boost (which you surely should do) or cut the silent seconds at start and end away...) and save it as .WAV formant. Now you can use any MP3 decoder you like to convert these .WAV data to MP3.

As a piece of advice I can tell u that you should (in future times) never save any audio as WMA. It only takes away a lot of disc space, and is, in every aspect, a lot worse than MP3. I use MP3 (have about 4000 MP3s) and if I used WMA I weren't able to handle this huge amount of audio data. To get the audio CDs into MP3 i use CDex, some old MP3 compression util.

- hope I could help u.
-LgS
Lightspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2002, 00:03   #11
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

For my answer, see the crosspost
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....threadid=76207

Top tip #1
Always post requests for tech support in the relevant forum.

Top tip #2
Don't crosspost
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions