Old 3rd February 2002, 03:38   #1
Riushen

Send a message via AIM to Riushen
Just a newb question...

I posted a skin I made using a skinner. I got a review saying "It's not just for you, it's for everyone: STOP USING SKINNER PROGRAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!" by someone named "Elvis Dandrea" It was my first skin obviously. I cant get the hang of manual skinning yet but I'm still trying... Can someone tell me why using skinners is so bad? btw, the skin is called Puzzle Amp if you wanna see it.

Thanks
Riushen
Riushen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2002, 03:40   #2
s1138
Alumni?

Send a message via ICQ to s1138 Send a message via AIM to s1138 Send a message via Yahoo to s1138
several people put weeks, if not months sometimes into skinning winamp.

usually, skins using a skinner program, are just a picture pasted onto winamp. and all the windows arent skinned.

(i havent seen your skin, so i cant comment on it. because, i have seen some nice skinner skins. once, or twice)

s1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2002, 03:50   #3
Riushen

i see

I getcha... but what was the comment "Its not just for you" sposed to mean? I just made it to be a cute simple skin. Those are the kinda skins I like. ::shruggs:: Oh well.
Old 3rd February 2002, 04:29   #4
KelseyB
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to KelseyB Send a message via AIM to KelseyB Send a message via Yahoo to KelseyB
MOST LIKELY he was doing a general annoucement to everyone, like saying to everyone reading: "i am not liking skinner.exe skins. do not post them anymore. this is a skinner.exe skin. this is what i do not want posted."

the problem is what s1138 said, and that it is impossible to find anything good (well, not implssibe, just really freaking hard)on the winamp skins page due to the fact that there is a 100/1 ratio of skinner.exe skins to worked-on skins. this is a topic of great debate and *hopefully* something is being considered about being done about it.

if i didnt sound clear in that, tell me (here or in a pm), ill try to explain it better...
KelseyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2002, 04:55   #5
n_ick2000
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to n_ick2000 Send a message via Yahoo to n_ick2000
I read a post a couple of days ago that the skin review team is working on organizing the skin database to put all skinner.exe skins in one catagory. That will make things easier.

|
n_ick2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2002, 05:35   #6
Riushen

O.o

Thats rediculous! Whats it matter? Its not hurting anyone is it? I know that whopping 32 kb DL just takes seconds upon seconds to DL... I'm sorry to have wasted anyones precious time here... It atleast takes some creativity to make them with a skinner, its not like a just snapped some random image from the game and threw it on there all stretched the wrong way and looking stupid. You can see a preview of it before you DL it, if it looks stupid then dont DL it. I made that one for my fiance just to have something on winamp that I made, and uploaded it because there were no other Puzzle Bobble Skins. And look. its got 800 already! It has only been up a week, if not less. I must have done something right...

-Riushen
Old 3rd February 2002, 05:57   #7
KelseyB
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to KelseyB Send a message via AIM to KelseyB Send a message via Yahoo to KelseyB
try browsing through 400+ skins with only a 56k modem that'll connect at 19.2k, only to discover that there were only 5 in that whole bunch that wernt skinner.exe skins. then youll understand MY frustration.

Quote:
I made that one for my fiance just to have something on winamp that I made
what does that even mean? that youre trying to impress your fiance with your mad skinner.exe skills? why not just email him/her with the skin? (not trying to insult, just wondering what that means)

i havent seen your skin, but the simple fact that its a skinner.exe skin is what pisses people off so much. you spent at most 10 minutes making that. im not saying that there aernt any good .exe skins, but the sheer mass of the bad ones engulfs all the ones that had time spent on them into a sea of crap.

this really should be in 'bitchlist', shouldnt it?

(again, not meaning to insult, just inform... maybe rant a little bit)
Old 3rd February 2002, 06:00   #8
Anacific
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Anacific
First of all, I don't want this thread to turn into a flame war.

Secondly, IMHO I know that quite a few people like skins made with skinner so I have nothing against posting those on winamp's site. I just go to other community for my skinny needs

"He who desires but acts not, breeds pestilence." - William Blake
WSPA | WWF | RSPCA | AAPA | Green Peace - Know and help...
The Rainforest Site | The Animal Rescue Site - Click and help...
Anacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2002, 06:10   #9
John M
Puts the Cuss in General Discussions
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to John M
its sorta like this:

once upon a time (heh) there was a villiage. the village had master craftsman who were 1337 at making chairs. they took a lot of time and came up with a good product. along comes a dude who figures he can make a stool in a tenth the time it takes a chairmanker to do a chair, thanks to the machine he has. sure, they may not have as many features as chairs, and may be of crappier quality, theyre still something to sit your ass on, right?

so the stool maker goes to the marketplace with his warez. he sets them all out. when all the people get to the market theyre like 'WTF!!!' and they have to wade through all the shitty stools to get through the nice chairs. the people get mad and start bitching about those stool.exe stools. so they reckon something needs to be done.

(alt ending 1)
The townspeople burn the stools and run the stoolmaker out of town, or better yet, make him sit on one of his stools

(alt ending 2)
the townspeople give the stoolmaker his own section, out of the way, so they can all get to the nice chairs.

I personally think skinner.exe skins demean the work of skinners who put mucho time into their skins.

missyob made me post this.
John M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2002, 21:03   #10
Riushen

lol

Heheh Kelsey. Wouldnt it be rediculous to email it to her when I could just leave it on the desktop? Surely she'd see it when she went to use the computer... Its not an online thing, but we originally met online though. I made it for her because shes addicted to that game and there were no existing skins for it.

And another thing... I didnt just throw it together in 10 minutes. I took several snapshots of the game (one at a time), then edited the sprites I wanted out of the pictures. I collaged them all into a background and had to change it several times so it looked right. It didnt take me weeks or even DAYS. It took me like 2 hours. But its better than nothing. Better than waiting on the slight possibility that someone in 2002 just MIGHT make a QUALITY skin for a game that wasnt very popular to begin with, from like '96

My only real problem with making "quality" skins is the color palette... I try to put a certain color in it and I cant. Should I just be using a more powerful editor than MS Paint? (I think I just answered my own question... >.<)

-Riushen
Old 4th February 2002, 22:28   #11
Riushen

And while I'm at it (being a newbie that is) How do I set my avatar?
Old 4th February 2002, 22:41   #12
Rant

Send a message via ICQ to Rant Send a message via AIM to Rant Send a message via Yahoo to Rant
Quote:
Originally posted by N e m e s s i s
i am on the review team. there has always been a huge out cry against skinner skins but they do have their place. they are a good way to learn how to do a skin. keep working.
Nem makes a very, very good point here that shouldn't be missed. They are a good way to learn. Creating a skin manually looks like an overwhelming if not impossible task to a person who's never done any skinning at all before. If there is no skinning for beginners a lot of people may just not bother trying. This is a good way for folks to get their feet wet, see that they can do it and get excited about learning more and becoming more and more creative. This is why I think people should be encouraged to try skinner.exe and encouraged to take it to the next level after that. And YES I think skinner.exe skins should have there own section so that those who are looking for something more sophisticated know where not to look and also so that people know where to go to find skins made by those just starting out so they can offer advice, criticism and encouragement.
Rant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2002, 22:41   #13
KelseyB
Major Dude

okay.....
im not exactly saying that you shouldnt be able to, just merely responding to your question, with a little bit of ranting in there (if i offended you in any way, i apologize). but the point is still there. it took you at most 1/10 the time of a newbie's non .exe skin.

about avatars (btw- i made it in mspaint, along with my sigtag [can you tell?]) go to control pnael >edit options . [towards the bottom]>change avatar
Old 5th February 2002, 02:37   #14
Riushen

Thanks Kelsey!
Old 5th February 2002, 02:40   #15
Ian the Korean
Major Dude

You could also use a search engine to find one. just whatever you want it of with avatar after it. That's what I did not being very god with paint programs.

Bound by chain of dwarven magic, A tale of trickery, long and tragic,
Sword in jaw, awaiting the day, Ragnarok, when all gods shall pay

|JessNet|PabUK||Anime-Forums|
Jesus-half brother.
WHERES MY FREE DIGITAL ASSHOLE?!
Ian the Korean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2002, 02:43   #16
Riushen

I got a pretty good avatar already... Just stole it from Chrono Trigger... Knowing me I'll change it before the nights over though.
Old 5th February 2002, 14:01   #17
Merlin
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by John M
(alt ending 2)
the townspeople give the stoolmaker his own section, out of the way, so they can all get to the nice chairs.
Yes! do that one! I want fast access to l33t skins!

as he faced the sun, he cast no shadow
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2002, 14:09   #18
LENZ.NET

Send a message via ICQ to LENZ.NET
Just try skinning Winamp3! Then you can have fun and games for all involved.

"Some dance to remember, Some dance to forget."
Spacer | Previewer |
LENZ.NET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2002, 16:17   #19
binary hero
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to binary hero
Quote:
Originally posted by N e m e s s i s
i am on the review team. there has always been a huge out cry against skinner skins but they do have their place. they are a good way to learn how to do a skin. keep working.
I disagree. They show people how easy it is to make a skin, so they go and do it many many times, causing database problems. OK, if they (like mr Ruishen here) modify it (like opening it all up, editing the buttons, vol/bal etc), then yes, it is a great way to learn. (My next skin will be done in this way).
binary hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions