Old 10th December 2006, 08:46   #1
ancientweird

IPod songs

I have loaded some mp3s onto my new 2gig ipod nano and they show up in the correct folder, but I am unable to listen to the songs when I unplug it and try to find the songs in the menu. I am using winamp 5.32 basic. Any help would be appreciated.
ancientweird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2006, 21:58   #2
mjc2264

I too am having this problem. I upgraded from winamp 5.2 to 5.32. I previously had no trouble with 5.2, but now when I load songs I cannot access them from the player.

I tried resetting and formatting the player to factory defaults. It is an iPod mini running 1.2 firmware. Please don't make me use iTunes....I hate it.

Any help appreciated.
mjc2264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2006, 09:13   #3
mjc2264

I just realized it's treating it as a USB device? It's copying music to the root of the iPod instead of into the control folder....how is this fixed?
Old 13th December 2006, 06:50   #4
mjc2264

I've seen a a fair number of people having this problem. I havn't changed anything except moving from winamp 5.2 to 5.32...

Does anyone know why this happens?
Old 15th December 2006, 10:43   #5
mjc2264

There's a file called pmp_usb.ini in the root of the iPod.

[ml_pmp]
syncOnConnect_time=1166131650

Is this what may be causing it to detect as a usb device instead of an iPod? Someone must know why?
Old 25th December 2006, 02:33   #6
GazG

same problem

I have the exact same problem...my sister just got a brand new ipod nano for christmas and when I plug it in, it is as if Winamp thinks its just a standard USB device
GazG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2006, 02:40   #7
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by mjc2264
There's a file called pmp_usb.ini in the root of the iPod.

[ml_pmp]
syncOnConnect_time=1166131650

Is this what may be causing it to detect as a usb device instead of an iPod? Someone must know why?
Well, pmp_usb will create an .ini files on every removable drive. After you've connected your USB drive, it will ask you, if you want to handle the drive with Winamp. Winamp will save your decison in the .ini file.

This is the best solution, so most USB players should work with Winamp.

Have you tried to delete pmp_usb.dll from the plug-in folder?
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2006, 14:34   #8
ZeroASR

I have the same problem.
ZeroASR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2006, 14:42   #9
maillme

Count me in on this problem too

Neil
maillme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2006, 14:48   #10
maillme

do we need to format the ipod as a "windows drive" first of all?

Neil
Old 25th December 2006, 15:39   #11
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
Make sure you have the iPod support installed. If Winamp is seeing it as a USB drive and not an iPod, chance are you don't have it installed. Reinstall Winamp, make sure iPod support is checked under Portables.

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Sawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2006, 18:13   #12
Trygon

Doesn't work, even after reinstallation. Winamp sees my Ipod Nano 4gig as a USB drive, no matter what I do. I tried uninstalling pmp_usb, I tried installing ml_ipod, then I tried both. Nothing works.

So this worked in 5.2? Can I get a link to a download of the old version?
Trygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2006, 18:36   #13
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
ml_ipod is a third-party plugin and not supported. make sure you have pmp_ipod.dll located in your plugins directory

Old 25th December 2006, 18:39   #14
Trygon

Tried it with both. Neither works.
Old 25th December 2006, 18:50   #15
Trygon

Hey, seems the problem was fixed when I changed the ipod_control folder. Turned off hidden and readonly and now Winamp sees it as an Ipod.

While I get that annoying tech-stupid people clog the forums, being overly formulaic is just as bad. I hope next time I have a problem I can get help, instead of form letters.
Old 25th December 2006, 19:09   #16
Sawg
Forum King

Well, fuck you too. Sorry if my attempt to understand your problem and help you for free in my spare time wasn't good enough for you. With the information given, I went what what I had. It appeared the pmp_usp and not pmp_ipod was detecting the iPod. I hope next time I try to help someone I get appreciation, instead of a whiny little bitch.

Old 25th December 2006, 20:15   #17
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Trygon:

it'S a shame that there are people like you, we try everyday to help people as much as possible, sometimes it's easy to help someone, sometimes it isn't.

Sawg wastes lots of freetime to provide technical support, so you should respect his work.

I guess the knowledge base of the people, who provide tech support is a little bit bigger than yours.

I doubt that anyone will give you tech support again, if you won't change your attitude.
Old 25th December 2006, 22:25   #18
maillme

Sawg

I appreciate your support! especiall on christmas day!!

Ive tried to re-install - i am still not having any luck

When you say ensure that ipod support is checked - where should i see this checkbox? I cant see it under portable devices......

many thanks,
neil
Old 25th December 2006, 22:28   #19
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Make sure, you're running the 5.32 Full or Pro installer.
Old 25th December 2006, 23:07   #20
jmehl

Merry Christmas!

Bought my wife a 8 G Nano. Installed the mlipod software and plugged nano in. Winamp recognised it and I tried uploading songs but they don't appear on menu screens on nano (NANO is empty). Checked the nano and the songs are all on root directory. Its recognising it as a USB device not an ipod. I tried changing the ipod_control directory but it did not work.

Someone must have a solution.

Thanks in advance.
jmehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2006, 23:17   #21
Sawg
Forum King

ml_ipod is considered a third-party plugin and not supported, as Winamp has native iPod support using ml_pmp. But if you want to use ML_Ipod, thy their own forum.

Otherwise, if you are using ml_ipod, remove pmp_usb.dll and pmp_ipod from the Winamp Plugins folder so it doesn't conflict.

Old 25th December 2006, 23:18   #22
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....d=161361#specs

Provide us with a List of Plugins

[EDIT] via my_plugins_list.txt, not screenshots - see above link again! [/EDIT]

Let us see that Winamp's native iPod Support plugin (pmp_ipod.dll) is installed, and also that you're not using the (not supported here) 3rd-party ml_ipod plugin.

Also provide us with a HijackThis log so we can see what other processes are loading at startup & running concurrently, to help us eliminate the possibility of conflicts with other iPod management software.

Then maybe someone can help...
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2006, 03:03   #23
maillme

Hi there,

Thanks again for all your help with this.

OK, attached is a screen grab of my plugin's, a screen grab of my ipod root and my hijack list log.

Im running:

Win XP Pro SP2
Winamp Pro 5.32
ipod Shuffle

Many thanks for all your help with this,
Neil
Attached Files
File Type: txt hijackthis.txt (6.4 KB, 314 views)
Old 26th December 2006, 04:26   #24
i5xswipe

I also am having the same issue. Brand New Ipod opened Winamp up and connected Ipod and can transfer files to Ipod. Like a usb device, but ipod will not show files, windos explore the ipod, the files are there, and the pmp_usb.ini are installed. Winamp puts PMP_usb.ini file hidden on ipod not the pmp_ipod.ini?... will not recognize ipod. Winamp is and was configured with ipod support. Reinstalled twice, once to double check ipod support was checked, and second to uncheck usb device support. With the later, winamp doesn't recognize at all under portables. Using the latest version of winamp 5.32 pro.

Above pictures are my story as well. Winamp Preferences now shows under Plug-ins-->Portables: Nullsoft ipod Plug-in V0.54 [pmp_ipod.dll], Nullsoft Creative NJB Plug-in v0.51 [pmp_njb.dll], and Nullsoft PlaysForSure Plug-in v05.3 [pmp_p4s.dll], no pmp_usb.dll now because I removed support of it, because that was defaulting as support

Really not looking forward to having to install proprietary tunes software and another freeware program that I like is soon to have support so i'm stuck waiting, and last thing I want to do is have WMP11 to know what I have!

Please help.

Computer: WinXP SP2, USB2.0, Winamp 5.32 Pro,
Ipod: 30Gb Video version 1.2, Model MA446LL
i5xswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2006, 04:28   #25
Sawg
Forum King

Select the pmp_usb plugin and hit Uninstall

Old 26th December 2006, 04:30   #26
i5xswipe

Quote:
Originally posted by Sawg
Select the pmp_usb plugin and hit Uninstall
I have many of times, started from clean. Ipod currently is sitting as it came from factory with just Ipod_control folder!
Old 26th December 2006, 05:04   #27
i5xswipe

Just grabbed my Sisters Older Ipod, its also a Ipod Video 30Gb, but its a 4th Gen I believe with V1.12 software. It works fine within winamp, the new 5th Gen v1.2 must be the issue, they, winamp and ipod, are not compatible!
Old 26th December 2006, 05:57   #28
i5xswipe

Got it Working

Finally got mine to work. One of two things I did resolved the problem and should work for all of you. I first gave in and installed the Itunes software and check for updates... as it turns out there was an update from V1.2 to V1.21, after the update, I went ahead and finished the setup of the Ipod from within Itunes, after that, the I checked the File structure in windows and the calender, contacts, and notes folders where created and within the Ipod_*** folder the structure was a bit different also. It resembled the structure of my sisters. So my guess is itunes as to do an initial setup of the ipod, either that or the update fixed the issue I am not certain but this more then likely will fix all of our problems so we can use and love winamp forever!

Good Luck
Brett
Old 26th December 2006, 06:33   #29
Trygon

Wow, hostility. Just some friendly advice, not dissing you... I get that you're doing this in your free time and all, but so long as you're spending time to help others, you may as well HELP others, instead of running them through a mostly unneccessary rigamorale.

Has anyone else tried my solution? Go into the ipod, turn on 'view hidden', and make the ipod_control folder unhidden and turn off read only. I've been running my ipod all day without issue after fixing it that way.
Old 26th December 2006, 12:08   #30
GazG

resolved

I told Winamp to format the ipod and now it works properly.
GazG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2006, 15:48   #31
maillme

how do i get winamp to format it?

thanks,

Neil
Old 26th December 2006, 17:54   #32
jmehl

i5xswipe

Thanks for the help. I got mine to work by installing itunes and reformating ipod. Perfect.

Cheers
jmehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2006, 18:25   #33
maillme

hi all,

OK, i didnt want to - but i installed itunes!!! that seemed to do the trick - however, it wouldn't update my firmare - was giving an unknown error - anyhow, im happy, i have my shuffle working with winamp

thanks alot!
Neil
Old 27th December 2006, 01:26   #34
i5xswipe

Glade you guys got your ipods working too, the solution you offered, Trygon did nothing for me or the others. The fix so solve the problem everyone else here has had was a formatting issue where the ipods hd drive wasn't identified by winamp as an ipod, we had to install itunes to format the ipod... formatting the ipod with winamp was mentioned also, but I havn't looked into that or how to do that.
Old 5th January 2007, 21:00   #35
mjc2264

I'd like to report that installing iTunes solved the issue. APPARENTLY you can only get the newer iPod firmware through iTunes and not through the iPod updater. Sounds like some shady business to get people using iTunes if you ask me.

Has anyone that used this fix uninstalled iTunes? Everything works okay if you do?
Old 14th January 2007, 20:23   #36
RandomSquirrel

Stupid iTunes...

I had a similiar problem. iTunes was installed on my system and I was using that to handle music to my Nano. I installed mlipod to handle it, and it worked really well (though it had blank filenames for songs without ID3 tags). Figuring that I had this fixed, I uninstalled iTunes. ...Guess what? I would try to send over music and it would just dump it to the main directory as if it were a flash drive, and as such, the Nano would see the songs, but would just scroll through them instead of playing. Even moving music to the music-designated folders did nothing. A reinstall of iTunes allowed me to transfer stuff again, though I haven't tried it with Winamp yet. I'll try the changing of hidden folders, rip out iTunes again, and see if that works, too. But it does seem that iPods of any kind WILL NOT WORK without iTunes. Fark you, Apple, fark you. *Raspberry.*
RandomSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2007, 05:41   #37
mewsterus

Send a message via AIM to mewsterus Send a message via Yahoo to mewsterus
This appears to be the active thread for my problem. Same issue. Only thing is, I can't fix with iTunes because the bugger won't install; has to do with ISScript.msi. But thanks for...being here. I don't like going through support forums because I don't get instant gratification. Might be nice to have this as a FAQ. I couldn't find ANY documentation on the site about the portables feature.
mewsterus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2007, 01:01   #38
homes32

install ml_ipod
go to preferences <CTL-P>
select iPod Support
on the general tab select the drive letter and click the format iPod button
problem solved!

homes32
homes32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2007, 05:07   #39
RandomSquirrel

Okay, I have NO idea what I did, but this damn thing finally works. Here's my configuration, so you can test it off of yours:

Winamp 5.24, unregistered
ML_iPod, patch 02p13
iPod nano, 4gb
iTunes installed, completely ignored (raspberry)

The settings in iPod support are as follows: all of the boxes unchecked in "Misc" under General, checked both "synch on connect/disconnect," and I checked the box "Log Files Transferred or Erased" under Transfer Settings. Transcoding options are off, since this version of Winamp won't support it, apparently. And under last.fm, I enabled "Submit tracks" with "immediate submission." I told winamp to format the nano after I wiped all music off of it, and rebooted the nano and winamp. Then, in the Media Library, I imported the playlist from file, selected it so I could see the tracks in the right side, and right-clicked on that playlist to send it to the nano. For some reason, it drops (removes the names of?) one or two tracks every time, but considering the sonovab***h actually works, I'm QUITE happy. Next time I'll put on headphones and see if those are actual tracks, without file names, 'cause I deleted them off before I did a test. Oh well, I have a 666 song playlist now. The devil's playlist! Whoo! Eat that, Apple!

P.S. Good luck all, hope that this helps SOMEBODY.
RandomSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support