Old 25th October 2003, 01:34   #41
AtiUser

Send a message via ICQ to AtiUser
Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg When it goes final, there will be a Standard version as well as the Pro version.

The Standard version will include everything from Pro, except for:
- WMA support
- Burning/ripping suppor
I really hope they will release a standard version without burning/ripping.

I have tried to remove cd-ripping in the current beta.

The only possibility I found is to delete the gen_ml.dll

CD ripping isn't, but the libary is very useful for me.

So I hope you are right with the standard version DJ
AtiUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2003, 02:00   #42
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

For now, if you replace in_cdda.dll with say the version from 2.91
then those buttons (rip/burn) in the library should vanish.
(Or you could use CDReader plugin instead)

Not something I've tried, but give it a go and let me know.

afaik, there's definitely gonna be a standard/free version as well
I sure as hell hope so anyway...
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2003, 02:44   #43
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

What I don't get is, why do you want to REMOVE cdripping?
I can understand if you don't feel like downloading Winamp with cdripping because of the additional size, but if you already have it downloaded, why would you ever want to remove it?

-Plague
Plague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2003, 04:03   #44
AtiUser

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
For now, if you replace in_cdda.dll with say the version from 2.91
then those buttons (rip/burn) in the library should vanish.
Thanks DJ. I will try it ;-)

Quote:
Or you could use CDReader plugin instead
I am not sure, but the CDReader plugin does not work with WA 2.9x and newer.

Quote:
afaik, there's definitely gonna be a standard/free version as well
I sure as hell hope so anyway...
Please don't get me wrong, I like WA5

But a free Standard version without ripping/burning would be great

Quote:
Originally posted by Plague
What I don't get is, why do you want to REMOVE cdripping?
I just wanted to know if they must modify the gen_ml.dll to remove CDRipping from the Standard version.

If so then the Standard version must get another gen_ml.dll than the Pro version

I was interested in, thats all.

Last edited by AtiUser; 25th October 2003 at 04:43.
Old 25th October 2003, 06:33   #45
graigsmith

Send a message via AIM to graigsmith
yes. i agree they shouldn't have pulled the plug on winamp 3.. especially if the internal builds are as quick as i hear they are.
graigsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2003, 21:03   #46
AtiUser

Quote:
Originally posted by graigsmith
especially if the internal builds are as quick as i hear they are.
Don't forget, the internal builds of Winamp 3 have many new bugs, Winamp 3 is/was not ready.
Old 29th October 2003, 21:53   #47
WHEREamI
Major Dude

Quote:
I'm not going to argue . . .
but I still maintain the fact that wasabi is far far far from dead
and that there are other wasabi-based applications already out there.
Maybe some of the developers who are also forum regulars here (or even Brennan himself) could provide you with a much better reply than mine...
BizzyD wrote Wasabi IRC, a, well, IRC client written in Wasabi. you can use your winamp3 skins with it, i believe.
And i believe there's one other Wasabi app out there...

Quote:
And comparing WA2 and WA3/Wasabi is like comparing DOS and NT. And WA5 is like Win98 (WA2.9x=Win95). Too much new tried to put in to a limited old technology. Exept from the fact that WA2 was a good product in its own era, the period of the first MP3-players. DOS was never a good product and neither is NT/XP but that's another story...
hehe.. i think a better comparison is wa5 to win ME... a bloated UI update. a little better though. (i'd also say that DOS *was* a good product, but we'll leave those opinions alone.)

as for the whole aol BS... my life's goal is to make enough money (somehow) to buy Nullsoft from the evil clutches of the AOL/TW empire, and let the dev's do what they want. hehe. we should start a "save Nullsoft" campaign. (of course i'm not serious, and i do realize there are some benefits to NS to the ownership, mostly monetary.)

~WHEREamI
WHEREamI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2003, 22:04   #48
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

ummm, Darkain wrote wIRC (Wasabi IRC)...

-Plague
Old 29th October 2003, 22:06   #49
Bizzeh
Forum Pirate
Beta Team

yeah. i wrote the RSS client. darkain wrote the irc client
Bizzeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2003, 23:23   #50
Denyer

I think someone said it best when they referred to Winamp3 as a "wasabi example"...

Winamp5, as far as I can see, will be superior in many ways; by making skinning easy (via 2.x support) it'll continue to get exposure, and it'll do everything I find of value Winamp3 could... better. Freeform skinning (heck, skinning itself) isn't something I value: an MP3 player which is extensible and can be stripped down to minimum features required is what I'm looking for, what Winamp 2.x has kindly supplied me with for yeasr and what Winamp5 looks as if it'll provide well into the future. If I don't want a feature, I want it to be easy to turn off and, preferably, to be uninstallable. Resources are a principle thing as well as being a practical necessity on some hardware...

Colour me charmed.
Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2003, 01:40   #51
WHEREamI
Major Dude

Quote:
ummm, Darkain wrote wIRC (Wasabi IRC)...

-Plague
Doh! my bad. i forgot, it's at darkain.skin-zone.net, not simple skin-zone.net

Quote:
Originally posted by Denyer
I think someone said it best when they referred to Winamp3 as a "wasabi example"...

Winamp5, as far as I can see, will be superior in many ways; by making skinning easy (via 2.x support) it'll continue to get exposure, and it'll do everything I find of value Winamp3 could... better.
well, winamp3 supports wa2 skins as well. and the component to do that in Wasabi is not as bloated as the gen_ff wa5 plugin. ie, wa3 does wa2 skins better than wa5 does wa3 skins, net result, wa3 is the better skinning platform, imho.
Quote:
Freeform skinning (heck, skinning itself) isn't something I value: an MP3 player which is extensible and can be stripped down to minimum features required is what I'm looking for, what Winamp 2.x has kindly supplied me with for yeasr and what Winamp5 looks as if it'll provide well into the future. If I don't want a feature, I want it to be easy to turn off and, preferably, to be uninstallable. Resources are a principle thing as well as being a practical necessity on some hardware...

Colour me charmed.
wa3 also provides the ability to remove features, even more than wa2/5. you can even remove the audio core from wa3 (god knows why you'd want to..), and anything else. and the other components shouldn't break unless they depend on services from a component you remove.
Admittedly, wa3 requires more resources and cpu time to do this, but really not that much more, and you can't get something for nothing.

~WHEREamI
WHEREamI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2003, 15:22   #52
Nini
skin domptrice
(Major Dudette)

Send a message via ICQ to Nini Send a message via AIM to Nini
Quote:
Originally posted by WHEREamI
you can even remove the audio core from wa3 (god knows why you'd want to..), and anything else.
My bf has a computer without a soundcard and installed wa3 without audio

Look here: http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=134160

The skin love webring
Nini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2003, 15:39   #53
Ikarus7

how can be something be the beginning of the end if it is loved by the users like never before ?
Ikarus7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2003, 17:33   #54
evil_oj

Quote:
and maybe Xiph for OggVorbis encoding if it is ever implemented
I thought that with ogg, we could freely distribute "open or closed source implementations of Vorbis encoders, decoders, or other tools." (http://www.vorbis.com/faq.psp)

3 I encode my music in Ogg Vorbis
I know enough about music and computers not to like computerized music.
evil_oj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2003, 21:01   #55
jarsonic
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to jarsonic
Re: Winamp 5: The beginning of the end ?

Quote:
Originally posted by gouta
AOL locked the MP3 encoder which is available only in the Pro version and agreed for the AAC one to be available for free.. heh.. lame ..

hehehe, get it??? LAME?

do justly | love mercy | walk humbly
jarsonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2003, 22:03   #56
Amiantos

Send a message via AIM to Amiantos
Bashing a great product for bashings sake. Kind of sad, but I guess morons come in all shapes and sizes. Anyone who would look past the greatness of Winamp5 because it's stuck to its roots and added some great features (the media library is the best of any out there, in speed and size and usability), is completely without hope.

I don't care if they want to make money off their product with Winamp Pro. Heck, they deserve it due to the evolution of Winamp... But I suppose some cheapskates out there (most likely teenagers who have never worked a day in their lives) can't fathom the concept of making money off of your work... Sad day for the internet, indeed.

(I do think it is just mean to leave people who registered Winamp back in 1999 out in the cold. It's bad business and someone should report Nullsoft to the BBB, etc. The receipts are very clear about being for "All Versions" and if a group of users took Nullsoft/AOL to court for it, they would certainly win. Oh well, do what you want, you'll just lose the respect of paying customers... Who cares about them, anyway?)

Regardless, Winamp5 is a great product and I only see it getting better. If you wanted to cry for the death of Nullsoft, you missed your mark, that was back when Winamp3 was officially released. Winamp5 is the Renascence of Winamp.
Amiantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2003, 23:35   #57
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by Amiantos
Bashing a great product for bashings sake. Kind of sad, but I guess morons come in all shapes and sizes.
Quote:
If you wanted to cry for the death of Nullsoft, you missed your mark, that was back when Winamp3 was officially released. Winamp5 is the Renascence of Winamp.
This is kind of funny to me.
All of the sudden, people are morons if they complain about Winamp 5, but it's ok to complain about Winamp3?

Don't you get it?
If Winamp3 wasn't forced out and wasn't forced to be discontinued due to all the bashing, it would have today been what Winamp 5 is, but without beeing built on top of the 2.x codebase.

But yeah, I think you're right, morons do come in all shapes and sizes.

-Plague
Old 16th December 2003, 23:51   #58
Amiantos

Send a message via AIM to Amiantos
Quote:
If Winamp3 wasn't forced out and wasn't forced to be discontinued due to all the bashing, it would have today been what Winamp 5 is, but without beeing built on top of the 2.x codebase.
I didn't say anything about any of that. I don't recall saying Winamp3 was forced out, or that is was forced to be discontinued due to any bashing.

What I did say was that if you wanted to cry for the death of Winamp, it would have been when Winamp3 was released, since it was a bloated, slow, and very buggy beast from the very start. Winamp3 would have been the death of Nullsoft if it wasn't for keeping Winamp2 around.

Winamp3 could never have been what Winamp5 is, unless you alloted 5 years of grueling development time to it.

You can keep your moron name calling to yourself, and especially the sticking of words unsaid into mouths. Thanks.
Amiantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2003, 00:04   #59
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

Quote:
I didn't say anything about any of that. I don't recall saying Winamp3 was forced out, or that is was forced to be discontinued due to any bashing.
no, I said that, I don't remember ever saying it was a quote from you, I, ME, MYSELF, said that.
Winamp3 WAS forced out too early by AOL, didn't you know that?
Winamp3 WAS forced to be discontinued, due to all the bashing it received. Didn't you know that either?

Quote:
What I did say was that if you wanted to cry for the death of Winamp, it would have been when Winamp3 was released, since it was a bloated, slow, and very buggy beast from the very start. Winamp3 would have been the death of Nullsoft if it wasn't for keeping Winamp2 around.
And this is the reason I said it.
You just bashed on it some more.
It was NOT bloated, it WAS slow, but it WAS NOT finished, not in a long way, thus also explaining why it was so buggy.

Quote:
Winamp3 could never have been what Winamp5 is, unless you alloted 5 years of grueling development time to it.
Don't you get it?
Winamp 5 IS Winamp3, it contains the SAME sourcecode, minus the component support and not beeing built on top of the 2.x codebase.
The entire gen_ff.dll (Modern skin support) IS winamp3. Are you complaining about it? Does it suck?
NO.

Quote:
You can keep your moron name calling to yourself, and especially the sticking of words unsaid into mouths. Thanks.
Since I didn't stick any words unsaid into any mouth, I'm sticking to my original post.
And since you were the one starting to call people morons, didn't you expect someone to throw a punch back at you?

Dont do the crime unless you're willing to do the time.

-Plague
Old 17th December 2003, 00:16   #60
denilson3

Send a message via AIM to denilson3 Send a message via Yahoo to denilson3
people are never satisfied
denilson3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2003, 00:20   #61
Raftysworld

Send a message via AIM to Raftysworld Send a message via Yahoo to Raftysworld
Quote:
Don't you get it?
Winamp 5 IS Winamp3, it contains the SAME sourcecode, minus the component support and not beeing built on top of the 2.x codebase.
The entire gen_ff.dll (Modern skin support) IS winamp3. Are you complaining about it? Does it suck?
NO
-Plague
Word. The only difference is that every component of WA3 could be removed, as each component was it's own file. In WA 2.XX/5.XX, it's all built into the exe file.

Every Winamp3/Wasabi basher are all misinformed. Every single one. If you honestly hate Winamp3, take a moment to answer these two questions for me:

1) Did you download any dev builds? (In particular: Winamp3 Build 499, and wasabi.player build 499c)
2) If so, and you didn't like it, what did you feel it was missing from 2.XX/5.XX

Obviously there are little features here and there that may not be in the player, due to a lack of development, but there shouldn't (Read: SHOULD NOT) be anything big enough to keep you from liking WA3. It's as simple as that.

I've stuck with it, and will continue doing so. Winamp3 build 499 was the beginning of a GREAT player. The other dev builds and even the final version were all good in their own right, but 499 was speedy, quick, light, and showed Wasabi headed in the right direction. Although I use Winamp 5 as my default player, Wasabi/Winamp3, with a little more support could very well have been the next generation of audio players. It didn't deserve to be dumped like that.
Raftysworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2003, 22:43   #62
Dipso

Looking back though they should have done this the other way around, but then again they didn't know that winamp3 was going to get forced down the road.

Had they started to introduce wasabi like they are doing in winamp5 now, and co developed wasabi.player the audience might not even have noticed when the wasabi engine suddenly stood on its own legs. They'd only see that WOW, now winamp suddenly appears with a lot more plugins and components and shit, and suddenly there are installs for linux and mac aswhell.

In the end, what has happened has happened, and it all boils down to a lot of sad events, and AOL keeping their head in their ass (as far as i am concerned)

But now we have a product that a far greater part of the comunity is happy with, that shows great potential for getting even better.

For me having a good featurepacked, and configurable player is the most important thing, since i am not a developer.

And lets face it neither are most of winamps userbase (luckily some might say )

There is no use in going on thiese forums bashing either product, you can't change the tides of time, or the minds of the people at AOL.

This is the product we have now, so lets just put our heads and hands together and try and make this the best darn mediaplayer, and the best comunity forums on the planet!

Phear the headbanging llama!!!

http://dipso.deviantart.com <- Art, Graphics, Photography.
Dipso is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion