Old 13th April 2012, 14:51   #1
rockouthippie
Banned

Water Heater

Turn the knob. No hot water. Go in the garage... a flood. I need a shower!

So hell... I have a wood stove and I lit a fire this morning and I had a old canning kettle in the garage. It's about 5 gallons. With, I discovered, a little bitty hole in it. I didn't start cussing until about then.

I called my neighbor to see if he could run me down to Home Depot to buy a water heater. He didn't mention it before, but he lost his license a while back, got caught driving his truck and it got towed last night.

I've got a lot of other crap going on around here, and maybe it's good that life had to add insult to injury. Sometimes you just have to deign to the absurd.

/off for the quickest shower in recorded history

Right now, I have gone from pissed off to sorta numb, but I'm sure an icy cold shower will fix that. If I was only sure the rest of the day is going to be disaster proof, but I know I'm not gonna get that lucky.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 12:38   #2
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
I had the same thing happen to me a few weeks ago. Woke up to a flood. Times like this are one of the (admittedly few) times I enjoy renting - the maintenance crew had a new water heater installed by lunch.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2012, 00:32   #3
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
Damn. Sorry to hear that. The store delivers and installs if you're willing to let go of the money involved, but I'd hate to see someone do that considering how basic a water heater installation is. I suppose if it were gas or propane instead of electric, one might be afraid of the copper soldering work, but really it's not that big a deal if you've done it before.

I can't believe that I haven't seen this thread until now. Sorry about the rather late and obsolete commentary. I hope by now things are solved.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2012, 04:52   #4
rockouthippie
Banned

I fixed that... no biggie... except moving the old water heater.... The water here is real hard and the thing musta had 50 lbs of wet mud in the bottom of it. Picking up the new water heater. Not too neat. Picking up the old one.... uhhh.... I loaned my hand truck to somebody.... I'm too old for this......

Pulled a muscle getting it up the steps, but at least I got a hot shower. I also got the super big water heater because I caught a sale. And since I no longer have an infirm in the house, I have tempted scald danger with the water heater temperature.

The dishes now get clean in the dishwasher. I don't run out of hot water and it's completely un-green...

None of that "I could pee harder" flow restricted shower nozzles for this kid. I want 20 gallons... 50 gallons... I want to not be able to see the bathroom door.

I did use a bicycle today and did not turn on the car at all... so I get a shower.... a real pre Soylent shower.......

I can't complain about today too much. It was really nice here. It's supposed to be 90 on Wednesday, and I'm looking forward to that. Dry things out.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2012, 06:13   #5
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
Sell that old water heater at the scrap yard. The extra weight will work to your favor.

Most dishwashers these days create their own heat (there's a big heating element in the bottom) and don't require a water heater to be set very high. Also make sure to turn the thing down for company (safety) or for vacations (money savings).

As far as the hard water sediment goes, if it's an electric water heater, you can remove the lower element, creating a good sized opening, and clean it out with a coat hanger maybe twice a year (cut the power and drain first of course). If it's a gas heater, you have to use the drain nozzle for cleaning more often since the opening is smaller and not straight enough to jam hangers in (cut gas and electric to it and drain first of course).

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Community Center > The Bitchlist