Old 15th February 2013, 11:17   #1
sorein

Forum Supervisors, please be polite to the members

I have just noticed I cannot access this thread anymore :
"winamp shows wrong file duration"
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=339194

Instead of banning or otherwise sanctioning the member MrSinatra who insults other members via youtube links, you seem to have banned the insulted, meaning myself. Please be polite to the forum members and don't be abusive. Try harder to understand who the offender is.
sorein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2013, 11:37   #2
DrO

i moved it to an internal bug report forum so a) it is still exists, b) it can be referred to if anyone on the team if wanted (doubtful) and c) before it turned into a flame fest (as i took offence to the tone of your reply before MrSinatra's post).

i am not going to go into who was right or not as everyone in there (including me) can be said to be in the wrong however it wants to be viewed. and MrSinatra is just another user like you and has no 'supervisory' or 'moderator' like role.

so the thread still exists but only now as an archive reference for team members specifically for the issue raised in the thread.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2013, 11:49   #3
sorein

Indeed, you SHOULD take big offense when someone thinks differently than you or when they try to wake you up in a stylish literary way. That is very mature.

Bottom line, you must do something about that bug, otherwise Wikipedia will list WinAmp as a player not fully capable of dealing correctly with VBR. What I've recently noticed, not only the song length is wrong, but also, when you try to go to certain points of the song (e.g. the middle, or time 2:37 etc), WinAmp directs you wrongly. Of course, other players do that correctly. That's what I wanted to signal and then saw the thread was not accessible any more.

You may delete this thread, as it's not really useful to other members.
Old 16th February 2013, 12:18   #4
DrO

i'm going to leave this thread. it was explained what and why Winamp is doing what is incorrect to you. it was explained that it has been noted. it was explained that it is not a bug but is how Winamp is setup to cope with files that are poorly / incorrectly encoded (as the example files were). it was explained that if you don't like how Winamp does things then you should be using something.

it was explained that what you think (and now are demanding and threatening to do) leaves things at an impasse. and finally you have no idea about the amount of work that is needed to even start on making changes to things to 'fix' what is working as expected.
Old 24th February 2013, 06:11   #5
sorein

This is a dialog of the deaf. At least one side is deaf

It was explained very clearly that IT IS a WinAmp bug! When other applications are CAPABLE of interpreting correctly the song length (including Window Explorer!!) the weakness of WinAmp is clear. When other players show the duration correctly, this is enough proof that there is nothing wrong with the encoding, maybe it is just different and WinAmp is one step behind.

It was explained very clearly that IT IS NOT ONE SONG! Let alone mine. WinAmp does a terrible job with VBR, I have lots of MP3 files from various sources and many VBR MP3 files are chaotically interpreted by WinAmp. Probably thousands of users experience the same bug, but they just don't care.

I do have a clear idea of what programming work is, since I've been a programmer for a couple of decades. I also know how hard programming is for the new generations. See the terrible Facebook, Yahoo or even Google.

When someone gives you hints how to make a product better, and you reply "If you don't like is as bad as it is, go somewhere else", that is terribly unprofessional. If I were your boss I'd fire you instantly.

Too bad WinAmp has such people in its team. It's been a fine tool, but always one step behind. Remember how long it took to understand Unicode. I'm sure soon this bug will be resolved and one side of this dialogue will stand in shame.
Old 24th February 2013, 13:01   #6
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

So eh, how many more times are you going to spell Winamp the wrong way? It is NOT WinAmp, it is Winamp.
Now you can go stand in shame.
Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 19:33   #7
sorein

It would be another improvement. Maybe people with little professionalism and little imagination and little creativity should be ashamed. But they aren't It's their world, their call. When one stops, another will take over. "WinAmp" would give it a better image and a nicer pronunciation.
Old 5th March 2013, 01:15   #8
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
Hey, didn't it used to be WinAMP?

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2013, 13:59   #9
rockouthippie
Banned

I don't think so.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2013, 14:12   #10
DrO

WinAMP -> WinAmp -> Winamp

that's the progression of things.
Old 6th March 2013, 00:43   #11
Rovastar

Send a message via AIM to Rovastar
I don't hear the phrase "moon on a stick" often enough DrO

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...on%20a%20stick

Stick with it don't let the fr00tbats get you down, I don't want to start using Foobar or something..

"Rules are for the guidance of wisemen and the obedience of fools"

Visuals - Morphyre www.Morphyre.com
Rovastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2013, 19:37   #12
fc*uk

So, when is going to be winamp?

You know, in following the progression and things...
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2013, 20:49   #13
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Well, with that logic, I can certainly look forward to "win".

Old 18th March 2013, 23:16   #14
rockouthippie
Banned

WinAMPwinampwinampwinamp
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 18:40   #15
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

I was looking at the android forum earlier and it got me thinking...

naming an android application something that starts with win- is pretty lame.
Face it: andoidAMP just doesn't sound right.

For that reason alone (and more), AOL should expand to the other linux distro's too and call in LinAMP. Sounds better and more familiar.

(Not that this hasn't been debated since 1998 but whatever.)

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Warrior of the Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 19:01   #16
DrO

seeing as 'Winamp' is the brand and the Android app is 'Winamp for Android', yes it may seem weird to old time users but it makes sense based on the brand name. same for 'Winamp for Mac', it's just leveraging the brand name before the platform.
Old 20th March 2013, 00:28   #17
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

^I agree with DrO on the examples he cites, but I also have to say that WotL's "Linamp" idea is pretty catchy. Perhaps Winamp for Linux officially but still "Linamp" off the record if it happens.

Old 21st March 2013, 09:36   #18
sorein

It's interesting where this discussion has gone. I agree with those who noticed, that in time perspective, it turns out that "Winamp" was a lame choice of a name. It clearly speaks about one application especially made for Windows. (Newer platforms? Mac existed at that time!) Indeed, "Winamp for Android" sounds stupid. So stupid, that it's time for a major brand name change. (You can as well say "McDonalds Chips for KFC"!)
Old 21st March 2013, 17:31   #19
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

That's mostly hindsight talking though. Consider the minimal market share of other operating systems at the time, consider that the creator was mostly just trying to create a utility that could play mp3 files, etc. For some reason, I like the name.

Either way, I'll try to remember that when I finally get around to creating and naming an $80,000,000.00 computer utility.

Plus, McDonald's chips for KFC would probably help KFC's sales.

Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Community Center > The Bitchlist