Old 22nd March 2013, 03:07   #1
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
very sick baby

My 9-month-old baby has just passed the two week point of being sick with multiple illnesses:

RSV (human respiratory syncytial virus), a wicked-nasty respiratory infection
urinary tract infection
irritant diaper dermatitis (diaper rash) to the point of requiring medical treatment due to the frequent diarrhea/vomiting

This has caused:

high fever
vomiting
diarrhea, even the best diapers leak because of how bad it is, so we have to pressure-wash her clothes and sheets at least once a day
blood in urine, stool, and in coughing
ear infection
10% weight loss
lots of mucus coughed up and flowing out of nose
hoarse voice
lots of screaming and crying, since she can't sit or lay on her back without pain, plus from the severe pain associated with everything else listed above
lost work and many sleepless nights for myself and wife to take care of her
stacks of very expensive medical bills from two hospitals, a pediatrician's office, and a *******y
loads of stress for all three of us

Stuff we've done to help:

Drugs: (censored a l b u t e r o l)
Amoxicillin
(censored b a c t r i m)
Ibuprofen
(censored a c e t a m i n o p h e n)
Desitin
Clotrimazole
Pedialyte
Vicks Steamer/Vaporizer
Nebulizer

I fear that's too much for a baby to handle, but I follow doctors' orders.

increased banana feeding to replenish lost potassium due to vomiting and diarrhea
raised head side of crib to allow gravity to keep drainage out of the breathing area during sleep
stayed home a lot (mostly wife, but often me instead) to keep the baby from infecting others and to take care of her
cut off vegetables, reduced all non-formula foods other than bananas
increased formula intake
administered all that stuff I listed above on a careful schedule
drove a total of a few hundred miles, since we're nowhere near a hospital and yet we've needed 2 hospitals, and consulted with more doctors and nurses than I can count
changed clothes and bathed her twice to three times as often as usual

read dozens of books to her multiple times each to try to keep her mind off of her misery
probably much more that I can't seem to remember now

I really wish she'd get better. If it were me I'd just bitch and moan and not be so worried, but this little girl is going through hell and she's only 0.75 years old. I hate that she has fungal, bacterial, and viral infections at the same time. I hope she's indestructible after this is all over.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2013, 08:59   #2
sgtfuzzbubble011

I hope things get better.
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2013, 16:55   #3
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Thank you. She was in a better mood today and has had a better time sleeping at least. That made it so that we as parents were also able to catch up on a little sleep too. The forum censored all but the last letter of p h a r m a c y and I didn't notice. My post seems to be a big testing ground for all kinds of buzz words. :/

Old 26th March 2013, 20:18   #4
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

Sick children are one of the worst things in life or so I believe.

I'm not going to reply on how you must feel or what you should do as it's pointless, so this is my only advice:
Don't forget the most important medicine: Lots and lots of love, hugs and kisses.

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Warrior of the Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 21:00   #5
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Thank you, it almost seems inappropriate that I be complaining about all these things when compared to what your family has been through. Come to think of that, how has yours been?

Old 27th March 2013, 01:14   #6
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

You can complain, if You have so many pain and sorrows, especially, if it is Your own family. I myself do the same...
I am asking You both: How are Your children now?...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 03:30   #7
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I have one daughter, 9 months old. She's a little better now, but still not perfect yet. Honestly I'm confident that she'll be completely over it before the week is over.

Old 29th March 2013, 12:02   #8
rockouthippie
Banned

Welcome to being a dad Ted. Call your mom and tell her you love her. Try not to worry too much. Childhood puke is the human condition. We don't do so well until our immune system catches up. On the other hand, you absolutely need to suffer. Kids in the "plastic bubble" do not thrive.

I think it's sort of amazing kids can get that sick and don't die. But they don't. Just kind of keep an eye on the fevers to make sure that doesn't get out of hand, and you're good.

Remembering back, you probably freaked your parents out more than you remember. You get to look forward to bad flu, chickenpox etc. They will live. You will lose sleep, chew your fingernails and worry.

Really Ted, there is life after having a kid. If there is a reason for Faith, you have it right there. It might not seem like it, but humans are really hard to kill. Babies included.

Of concern:

Fevers over 102. Even those can be compensated for with a tepid bath. Fevers at 105 can cause brain damage. It wouldn't be really uncommon with a flu in a youngster. There is no magic bullet on that. Tepid bath. 80F.

Pain. Seek medical attention.

But hell, we usually live.. This sort of thing is really normal. We just don't remember.

Call your mom, tell her you love her. Kiss your wife. Tell her you love her too. You're covered

Your adorable little girl? If you did your job even half assed, she'll just about adore you as much as you adore her. Daddy should be a constant in the universe.

If you do your job right, and you will mess up, raising an adult woman of reasonable character will make you laugh your ass off. You didn't need to be perfect. You just need to be there.

I lost my daughter 11 years ago in a car accident. She'd be 31 now. Apple of my eye. She was a freaking sweetheart.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 29th March 2013 at 13:19.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2013, 21:35   #9
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I'm so sorry for You, rockouthippie. For a mother or father it's always very terrible to lose a son or a daugther, also, if that child has already become an adult...
If the embryonal mistake in my body wouldn't have been discovered before my 2nd birthday, then I would never have become 3 years. I was examined, because I slept only 3 hours each night, and then I was sent to the X-ray and because of the results I was brought into a hospital for an OP. The stay in the hospital was a trauma for me. My parents have told me everything, I myself don't remember that. With 4 and a half years I have spoken my first word...
Many babies suddenly can become sick. Some babies have to be brought also into a hospital, I remember that with another baby from another woman. But later the child will become a very viable and powerful person...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2013, 13:27   #10
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

Ted, I don't want to hijack your thread so here's a link

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Old 15th April 2013, 00:06   #11
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

So... how is she?

Old 15th April 2013, 00:10   #12
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

She was back to normal about 2-3 days after my last post here. She's been quite bright, active and cheerful since then. Thanks for asking.

Old 18th April 2013, 06:12   #13
rockouthippie
Banned

It's funny. I think there is some mercy in the human condition. Your daughter was puke sick and worried the shit out of you; you're the one that's hammered. She's all smiling and likely doesn't remember how sick she was. It was like that with my mom a lot. She'd be in the intensive care unit for a couple weeks, get better, be all smiling.... I was the one that was ground up, worried, in the ER in the middle of the night. She'd end up good, I'd feel like I was rode hard and put away wet.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Community Center > The Bitchlist