Old 25th September 2012, 15:54   #1
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
Apartment mainenance...

Since June I've been in my current apartment. About 2 days of being here I've been going to the office and putting in work orders at least once a week. For the same thing. The guy assigned to my building took 6 hours (3 hours for lunch) to replace the bathtub knobs. I could have done that in less than an hour. I still have 3 dripping faucets and a leaking pipe in the kitchen floor. I've been waiting for more than 2 months for this asshole. If he comes by and doesn't fix it to my satisfaction, I'm going to fix it myself and charge the apartment people for it. I can do the repairs myself but I have no money for parts. I knew these apartments were a bad idea.

There is no sig.
deeder7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2012, 02:05   #2
rockouthippie
Banned

It's kind of a rare apartment that's any different than that. You shouldn't make the relationship adversarial. Most of the landlords I ever had were happy to cut me a check on the spot for any repairs I did. You might just call em up and ask em if that's ok. It is a hassle when a 20 minute fix-it takes days. Usually... little stuff like light switches... leaks.. BS like that... is nickel dime stuff... and 2 days to wait for the repair guy.

In Oregon, you can force the landlord to make repairs or repair the place at their expense under fairly narrow circumstances. But you really don't need the pissing match. I'd start with a polite certified letter asking them to fix the problems. Offer to help. It's a good place to start. You can get nasty later... probably fairly shortly... but later.

If that doesn't work, then look at your landlord/tenant laws and see exactly how you can cause repairs to be done. It's probably possible, but you need to be very careful and follow the law exactly. Theoretically they can't take revenge on you for suing them. In practice I wouldn't count on it.

Send them a nice certified letter... signature required. You can be nice. It'll probably nudge them a little without pissing them off.

If they really piss you off, flush a bag of concrete before you move
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2012, 23:13   #3
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
Where I am, the maintenance guy is great. I put in a work request and he's there the next day and the problem is fixed. He comes while I'm at work so I never actually even see him.

A few months ago, I woke up to a pool of water under the water heater. Guy came in at 9:00 AM on a Saturday, with a new heater in the back of his truck and I was back up and running in a few hours.

What more can I ask for than that for a rental?

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 14:12   #4
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

The guy is here... again. The fucker better do his fucking job properly. Or THERE WILL BE A FUCKING PROBLEM. I've waited way too long for simple shit to get fixed. I highly doubt he will fix anything at all. Probably just make it look like he "did something" and leave again.

There is no sig.
Old 5th February 2013, 15:28   #5
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Since last Wednesday my building has been without gas. No gas means no cooking and no hot water. A couple of times the "maintenance" people have shown up for some reason and all they do is move the oven and look behind it and leave. I end up pushing the damned thing back to where it was. Pretty sure they'll be back to fuck things up again soon.

There is no sig.
Old 16th February 2013, 03:58   #6
sgtfuzzbubble011

Isn't there some sort of law that requires property owners to provide tenants with access to utilities in a timely manner or some such thing? I could understand if there were a natural disaster or something, but that's ridiculous.
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2013, 04:14   #7
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
Those kind of laws exist but are usually written at the state level. In most cases you don't really need the specifics if there's already language in the lease agreement contract. That in itself is usually all the documentation you need if push comes to shove.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2013, 03:44   #8
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Isn't there some sort of law that requires property owners to provide tenants with access to utilities in a timely manner or some such thing?
Yeah... but you really don't want to go there if you want to keep living where you're living. You only want to get adversarial as a very last resort. You want to be friendly with your landlord. So maybe you get a wrench yourself? If you need to lean on them guilting them into doing the right thing is usually more effective than getting pissed. They think: Here's this really nice guy and I'm too shiftless to fix his sink. Patience begets patience. Maybe you'll do something that pisses them off and get a pass. If you can work a little humor in your complaint, it doesn't hurt.

Before we all start getting legal and shit, you're at a point where you should have just moved.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2013, 16:02   #9
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I just stopped by here. This thread is very interesting, and I see, there are rules for both sides not only in Germany...
If we would have very much money, we would have already bought an own apartment without making debts, but we have only less incomes, and they didn't increase. We have to live in a leased apartment. We have our rights to live in 2 rooms, but not in 3 rooms anymore (the laws have been changed). Many people are forced to move into a new apartment with only 1 room after the have widowed...
In all cities the prices for the leased apartments (and also for food) have doubled in the last 10 years. But if we have to pay very much for the leased apartment, then we can expect, that the landlords or the management for the whole house will order an expert immediately, who will repair something, for example, if the front door lock is broken and I cannot open the door with the key anymore. I want to get into the house and go up the stairs to our leased apartment everytime without ringing. If I want to come home, then I want to come home!...
Yes, it's very important, try to be peaceful with Your landlords, but sometimes it isn't possible. Many tenats are going to the court...
Fortunately cats and dogs are allowed in our leased apartment. In many other apartments in many other houses pets are forbidden. The first landlord in the home of my childhood hated the children and she had forbidden the pets in the leased apartments (also rabbits and guinea pigs). After 1981 the new landlord had allowed the pets, and 1984 the first neighbors got a dog...
"you're at a point where you should have just moved."... if that would be very simple, many tenants would have done that, of course. But the movings are very expensive, many tenants are getting debts because of such a moving. And at first a tenant must have found a new (and better) apartment and the new lease agreement contract must have been made before the moving. In Germany many landlords are refusing to make such a contract with people, who have only less incomes, who are old and not healthy anymore or who have little children (many landlords hate children). And moving means much more stress: the old and mostly also the new apartment has to be renovated completely. And we would have to disconnect and reconnect hundreds of cables...
Why don't we simply own a house with a garden?...
Greetings from Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 11:05   #10
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

"Fortunately cats and dogs are allowed in our leased apartment."... They were allowed, and I've thought, they would be still allowed, until yesterday. Then all tenants got an angry letter from the management for all 4 houses. When I had this letter in my hands and I read it, suddenly I had tears in my eyes. I had to post also in these 2 threads:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....32#post2915832
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....35#post2915835
Today I rallied a bit. There were also many other hard words in this letter. For example a tenant is not allowed to help another friend and to let this friend live in the leased apartment for many weeks, if this friend has lost the home. The tenants got also many other anger, for example because some people are very messy with garbage and there were very often rat infestation...
1993 many lawyers said "A landlord can prohibit only dogs, but not cats and other pets.", but 2000 other lawyers said "A landlord can prohibit also rabbits and guinea pigs". The laws have changed many times. A tenant can think "I will adopt a cat now, nobody will know that.", because a tenant doesn't need to let another person go into the apartment. But an unknown neighbor can discover the cat behind the window, and if this neighbor hates cats, he or she will call the landlord and say "This tenant has a cat!", also, if another neighbor says "Please let him keep his cat now!", and this neighbor doesn't need to know this tenant personally. Suddenly the landlord can appear at the door, ring and force the tenant to give away his cat. It happenend to a friend many years ago...
The tenants have to be very careful also with other things. A tenant isn't allowed to have the music too loud, and if a tenant deviates from the norm, this tenant has to keep it top secret (for example the music-taste, the culture, the religion etc.). 1999 neighbors from another country with another culture moved into the house. In the beginning they had their music loud very often, and they forgot to turn off their stove once. They are still living here. Another landlord or management for the houses would have teminated the lease agreement contract, if the tenant would have been very old and would have forgotten to turn off the stove. Neighbors have moved out and moved in. Neighbors are not allowed to run into an apartment of another neighbor without permission, but 2012 a new neighbor did that with other neighbors. If neighbors don't know each other, then they should leave other neighbors alone. A tenat has to be very careful also with the contact to the landlord or to the management for the houses. A landlord or a chief from a management can be very friendly in the beginning, but such a person can change the mind, and after some years the tenant has to be very careful...
But also people with an owner-occupied apartment cannot feel 100% secure. If the neighbors hate dogs or cats, they can go to the court, and the court can force a limit for cats, then a person with an owner-occupied apartment can have only 2 cats in the apartment and not more. The court can also decide: the family has to give away the very loudly barking dog. But a court cannot force the parents to give away their very loud little children. Only other families in leased apartments can suddenly lose their home, because the leased agreement contract is terminated by the landlord or the management for the houses...
People with an own house & garden can be very happy, also people with an owner-occupied apartment, but many people have to live in a leased apartment...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Community Center > The Bitchlist