Old 21st November 2011, 14:57   #1
Norwood

Keep Ratings Consistent Across Computers

I have an exact mirror of my music collection on my laptop and my home machine.

While listening to music at work, I rate songs. I would like to be able to effeciently copy those ratings over to my collection when I get home.

I am familiar with the Winamp Backup Tool, but I'm not quite sure where in the options it stores only the ratings. When I run it each time, I don't want to change anything else other than the ratings.

Is there an easy way to do this?

Thank you.
Norwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2011, 15:00   #2
DrO

the backup tool is not what you want to do for that.

you could look at doing a library export and import to move them across though you'd need to do some processing on the output to just have it relate to the ratings - otherwise it'll import playcounts, etc (unless you want that as well).

if not, depending on how you're accessing the files, if they're on some sort of shared location, if Winamp's set to save the ratings into the files then that would work with just needing a re-scan of the library between the machines.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2011, 19:37   #3
Norwood

The music is stored locally on each machine.

So I would just have to copy and paste the entire library every weekend or so?
Old 21st November 2011, 23:50   #4
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
i'm not sure i follow the above, but i will say this:

i strongly believe in writing ratings to tags so that they persist in the face of application failure. if you do as well, then i would setup an rsync.

basically, u have a "home" and a "travel" collection. you want your file updates to merge back into your home collection. rsync lets you merge just the changes, ie. just the updates from the "current" travel collection to the home one, even something as small as a rating/tag update.

i have been meaning to do the same thing, just haven't actually done it yet.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2011, 10:01   #5
Norwood

Locally means the music library's are not on a shared location, as you asked me. They're local to the machine.

I then asked if I would have to copy the files every time I wanted to update machine's library of the other, which you answered by suggesting rsync. Which part didn't you follow?

Anyway, rating the song through Winamp's interface does save the rating to the ID tags, v3 at least (that's what I've been led to believe reading posts here).

Unless you're saying I need to open the properties sheet of each file and set the rating there as well. That isn't very efficient.
Old 22nd November 2011, 17:34   #6
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood View Post
Locally means the music library's are not on a shared location, as you asked me. They're local to the machine.
ok, but i didn't ask you tho.

Quote:
I then asked if I would have to copy the files every time I wanted to update machine's library of the other, which you answered by suggesting rsync. Which part didn't you follow?
i wasn't sure i had a handle on what you or DrO were saying. sounds like what i said made sense to you though, so good.

Quote:
Anyway, rating the song through Winamp's interface does save the rating to the ID tags, v3 at least (that's what I've been led to believe reading posts here).
i know it does, if enabled in prefs. i'm the one that got them to do it. not sure what the v3 you're talking about is tho?

Quote:
Unless you're saying I need to open the properties sheet of each file and set the rating there as well. That isn't very efficient.
nope, i never said that.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2011, 17:48   #7
Norwood

Gotcha, all clear. Thank you.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support