Old 4th December 2003, 14:39   #41
dirkdeftly
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to dirkdeftly
has been happening in w98se on wa2.x for a long time too. i seriously don't see what the problem is though....

"guilt is the cause of more disauders
than history's most obscene marorders" --E. E. Cummings
dirkdeftly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2003, 08:57   #42
EL-VIS2

Not a bug but to consider:

In previous version of AVS the image is lost on resizing the AVS-window. Now there is this option "reuse image on window resize" found in display settings which is turned on by default.

I do not know if this thing really makes sense here. Especially when doing SSC/DynaMove-coding depending on w and h it is comfortable to get an empty image after resizing to start back from "black" with the new res. Plus with some extra-code one can check for resizing and then start drawing from the very start, i.e.

Frame:
new=if(equal(resold,w*h),0,1);
resold = w*h;

Now with this new option some unwanted leftovers of the previous res stay on the screen which causes some of my presets to look ugly.

I think this new option should be better placed somewhere inside a preset i.e. inside "main". So one can decide for every single preset if the image is kept on resizing.
EL-VIS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2003, 14:09   #43
UnConeD
Whacked Moderator

Using effect list coding you can do your own check though, and make every effect 'first frame/resize only'.

By the way it's probably better to check w/h separately rather than their product.

UnConeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2003, 02:43   #44
Zevensoft
Major Dude

It's better to use h*1600+w instead, no one's really gonna run AVS at a higher horizontal resolution of 1600. Or if you can spare the division, h+1/w. This puts the height on the left, and width on the right of the decimal point, as we know that both w and h are integers.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 3W | 4WW
Zevensoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2003, 04:26   #45
UnConeD
Whacked Moderator

Why would a multiplication+sum or even a division+sum be faster than simple equal-checks?

Old 15th December 2003, 07:45   #46
EL-VIS2

Quote:
Originally posted by UnConeD
Using effect list coding you can do your own check though, and make every effect 'first frame/resize only'.

Yep, but I am thinking of compabilitiy - means running Presets made with previous AVS-versions in new AVS2.8
EL-VIS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2003, 10:16   #47
Zevensoft
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by UnConeD
Why would a multiplication+sum or even a division+sum be faster than simple equal-checks?
Because you know as well as I do that jumps kill the cache.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 3W | 4WW
Zevensoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2003, 15:41   #48
UnConeD
Whacked Moderator

True but FP multiplication and especially division are still slow. I'm not sure if branch prediction will have an effect on such a single piece of code.

Remember though, due to the evallib changes, a lot of code that used to be slow will be fast now (best example: Neon Coaster which runs 3-4x faster).

Old 18th December 2003, 23:30   #49
zamuz

ok maybe this isn't the best place to post but i didn't want to create a new thread...

when clicking the channel shift winamp crashes without even showing the menu, it happened in the final that came with wa5.

*edit: nevermind, spotted the problem... the channel shift ape was still in the avs directory, this is what makes it crash.
zamuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Visualizations > AVS