Old 5th February 2005, 09:47   #1
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
A million cookies can't even pay that hospital bill

Just...Fucking wow...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6914824/?GT1=6190

Quote:
That’s the way the cookie crumbles
Frightened neighbor sues teens over late-night gift — and wins

MSNBC News Services
Updated: 3:48 p.m. ET Feb. 4, 2005

DURANGO, Colo. - Two teenage girls who surprised their neighbors with homemade cookies late one night were ordered to pay nearly $900 in medical bills plus court costs for a woman who says she was so startled that she had to go to the hospital.

La Plata County Court Judge Doug Walker declined Thursday to award punitive damages, saying he did not believe the girls acted maliciously but that 10:30 was fairly late at night for them to be out.

Taylor Ostergaard, then 17, and Lindsey Jo Zellitti, then 18, baked the chocolate chip and sugar cookies one night last July. They made packages with a half-dozen cookies each and added large red or pink construction-paper hearts that carried the message, “Have a great night” and were signed with their first initials: “Love, The T and L Club.” Then they set off to make their deliveries.

The Denver Post reported Friday that the girls had decided to stay home and bake the cookies rather than go to a dance where there might be cursing and drinking. It reported that six neighbors wrote letters entered as evidence in the case thanking the girls for the cookies.

‘Shadowy figures’ and no answer to ‘Who’s there?’
But Wanita Renea Young, 49, said she was at her rural home south of Durango around 10:30 p.m. when she saw “shadowy figures” outside the house banging repeatedly on her door. She yelled, “Who’s there?” but no one answered, and the figures ran away.

The teens said they did not answer when the woman called out because they wanted the treats to be a surprise.

Frightened, Young spent the night at her sister’s home, then went to the hospital the next morning because she was still shaking, had an upset stomach and feared she had had a heart attack.

Apologies called insincere
The teenagers’ families offered to pay Young’s medical bills, but she declined and sued, saying their apologies were not sincere and were not offered in person.

The girls declined comment after the ruling. Taylor’s mother said her daughter “cried and cried.”

“She felt she was being punished for doing something nice,” Jill Ostergaard said.

Young said the teenagers showed “very poor judgment”

“The victory wasn’t sweet,” Young said. “I’m not gloating about it. I just hope the girls learned a lesson.”

The two were ordered to pay $871.70 plus $39 in court costs. They paid the judgment Thursday, a court clerk said Friday.

After seeing this article, I thought over it, and quite frankly, this lawsuit doesn't surprise me a bit...We're living in an age of trial lawyers and lawsuit-happy citizens where we can feel we can sue whenever the hell we want just because our coffee's too hot or your lawnmower doesn't have a warning sticker on it...Why do I just get the feeling Ms. Young was one of them, being simply paranoid? The parents offered to pay the medical bills, but it was just easier to go through the trouble of wasting the court's time to sue for the same amount of money to pay the same bill...

Besides, the article doesn't say anything that would prove evidence that the heart attack was even real in the first place...The warning signs of heart attack or cardiac arrest don't include shaking...Shaking is what you might have if you're having a seizure attack or you have Parkinson's disease, and Colorodo is a cold state, but I don't think you can get that from 2 teenaged kids...Was there any chest discomfort (Above all and most important)? Was there a shortness of breath? Any upper body discomforts (Stomach, yes, how how serious was it)? Cold sweat? Nausea? Lightheadedness? Hell, ask her if the doctors even did an electrocardiogram, since she was soo much at risk for a heart attack and we want to make certain that she really did have one...You either do or don't have a heart attack, you can't "think" you have one...Could've lost blood pressure or didn't have any sugar in her damn system, for all I could guess...

And even if the heart attack was for real and she was so damn worried, she wouldn't have spent the night at sister's to wait for eventual death...Isn't it a damn major and important thing that doctors recommend you call 911 the moment you suspect you have a heart attack, and not the morning after? Oh, thank God she's alive after this complex miracle... Or hell, why not just call the damn cops the moment those kids came on your property? If I cut off your electricity, would you still send the po-po on me, or wait to think you have a heart attack and send a lawsuit my way? Hope the Girl Scouts don't get in trouble for handing out cookies...

I'm really troubled by this...This seems like a load of bullshit...

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2005, 10:52   #2
Cognition
Some Random Guy
(Major Dude)

Sad.
Cognition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2005, 11:15   #3
Schmeet
Major Dude

I don't think it's paranoya - it's just plain stupid. How can people get away with this shit?
Schmeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2005, 11:26   #4
d0rk
I contribute nothing.
(Forum King)

It wasn't even a heart attack. She had an anxiety attack. They should have put cow shit in her cookies.

I came for the hatred.
I stayed for the ballbag.
d0rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2005, 12:27   #5
mark
Forum King

the old lady should pay the court fees. the kids' parents OFFERED to pay the medical bills anyway. what a bitch.
mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2005, 14:13   #6
cyu
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to cyu Send a message via Yahoo to cyu
Quote:
I have yet again lost faith in humanity - cyu
cyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2005, 15:11   #7
mikm
Major Dude

And I thought that a kid suing his school for homework over the summer was bad...

If I were the judge, I would slap a fine on the lady for improper use of the court system.

powered by C₂H₅OH
mikm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2005, 17:54   #8
S-uper_T-oast
Forum King

Wow.
S-uper_T-oast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2005, 18:13   #9
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
i wish there were people like that in my 'hood. i wouldn't mind having someone deliver cookies at 10:30.

There is no sig.
deeder7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2005, 18:17   #10
squakMix
wwwyzzerdd
(Forum King)

Fucking bitch.

On what grounds did she win??

Judge: "*cough* you guys... uh... should'nt come around at 10:30 at night! $900!"
squakMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2005, 19:41   #11
d0rk
I contribute nothing.
(Forum King)

She won the grounds that they did cause her to go the hospital because they were sneaking around. It is just stupid that she didn't forgive them and accept the apology or accept the parents payment in medical bills.

I came for the hatred.
I stayed for the ballbag.
d0rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2005, 19:47   #12
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
the old lady was probably faking it.

There is no sig.
deeder7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2005, 20:28   #13
ertmann|CPH
Forum Viking
(Forum King)

quote myself; "The US justice system is messed up"
ertmann|CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2005, 20:29   #14
gaekwad2
Foorum King

They can be glad she didn't have a gun.
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2005, 20:40   #15
General Geoff
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to General Geoff Send a message via AIM to General Geoff
If anyone wants to get back at her (prank call anyone? ), I know her home address and phone #.

General Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2005, 20:45   #16
ertmann|CPH
Forum Viking
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by gaekwad2
They can be glad she didn't have a gun.
Ha! suddenly the headline

"Old woman shoots, kills, two girls delivering cookies"

doesn't sound that far off...
ertmann|CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2005, 21:18   #17
squakMix
wwwyzzerdd
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by d0rk
She won the grounds that they did cause her to go the hospital because they were sneaking around.
Then what did she get extra ("extra" as in: Plus medical bills) money?

Hell, you could be buying something at the mall, the casheir hands you your change and you could run away screaming "OMG WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT!!!?" You could trip and break your ankle and sue on grounds that what they did caused you to become agitated and resulted in hospital costs.
squakMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2005, 21:35   #18
sgtfuzzbubble011

I've got a cookie for that bitch...
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2005, 22:21   #19
Cognition
Some Random Guy
(Major Dude)

Quote:
Originally posted by ertmann|CPH
"Old woman shoots, kills, two girls delivering cookies"
Woman sues dead girl's families for trauma and waste of bullets.
Old 5th February 2005, 23:31   #20
apollos
Forum King

america's legal system is abused by brain dead retards, sad.
apollos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2005, 00:27   #21
hgnis
Hobbit Humper
Forum King

The reason? Watch Bowling for Columbine and I think you'll figure it out.

I am so important I feel the need to let it be known like a liberal discovering the internets for the first time. Uh hur hur hur. I also wash myself with a rag on a stick.
Realitybites
<3
hgnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2005, 03:42   #22
Coman
Punk
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by General Geoff
If anyone wants to get back at her (prank call anyone? ), I know her home address and phone #.
post it so it's publicly accessible everywhere on the internet.

"Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?"
Coman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2005, 19:19   #23
EazMan

thats retarted. i think i should sue the mailman, i mean he does basicly the same thing as they were doing, expec he delivers mail not cookies.
EazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2005, 14:00   #24
Wolfgang
Forum King

what a country.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2005, 20:26   #25
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

I would've bitch-slapped the old hag. Sweet jesus, what the fuck is wrong with the bitch that she couldn't accept an apology for scaring her unintentionally? I could go on all day calling her all kinds of names.

After the parents had offered to pay for the medical bills and the bitch refused that offer, the judge should've dismissed the case. I rest some of the blame on his shoulders.
ShyShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2005, 20:51   #26
Phyltre
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Phyltre Send a message via Yahoo to Phyltre
I think she qualifies as a shut-in candidate. Wouldn't want her getting shocked by random everyday occurences, would we? Of course not! So lock her in for good!
Phyltre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2005, 05:03   #27
petitechloe664y

the hand of justice is long
petitechloe664y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2005, 06:01   #28
Cognition
Some Random Guy
(Major Dude)

And retarded.
Old 14th February 2005, 23:32   #29
DigitalAssassin

Quote:
Originally posted by Phyltre
I think she qualifies as a shut-in candidate. Wouldn't want her getting shocked by random everyday occurences, would we? Of course not! So lock her in for good!
Excellent idea!

DigitalAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2005, 02:23   #30
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Cookie update! How have things been doing since then?

I was listening to the Mike Gallagher Show last night, and he read this article that the Denver Post put out...

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,...715867,00.html

Quote:
Durango - Herb Young turned the telephone off again Tuesday after it rang at 12:40 a.m.

One recent caller had told him that "you should be found dead in a ditch."

Nine out of 10 calls to his house are from "crackpots," he said, ever since a plate of cookies and a case in La Plata County Small Claims Court turned life upside down.

Since his wife, 49-year-old Wanita "Renea" Young, successfully sued two 18-year-old girls for scaring her with a late-night knock on the back door and a then-anonymous cookie drop on the porch, she and Herb have spent the last two weeks trying to defend themselves. A barrage of crank calls and hate mail and truckloads of strange packages have been aimed at their rural home just south of Durango.

Almost everyone but the magistrate has taken the girls' side in the court conflict over about $900, part of the medical bill for Renea Young's anxiety attack. The case made headlines around the world.

"Last week the calls were all day, every day, and all night," Herb Young said. "It's slowing down."

He estimated that one-third of the calls to his home have been from the area, but two-thirds are from all over the country.

Many strangers have made their own cookie deliveries to the Youngs, everything from elaborately wrapped and expensively stocked gift baskets to an envelope holding Oreo crumbs.

Nationally syndicated radio talk-show host Michael Gallagher sent 1,000 boxes of Girl Scout cookies to U.S. troops abroad in honor of the "Colorado Cookie Caper" and the two girls who were sued, Taylor Ostergaard and Lindsey Zilletti.

On Tuesday, the Youngs' rural mail carrier told Herb Young that she had two small truckfuls of packages for him, but they appeared to be empty boxes.

"Send them back," he said he told her. He wasn't sure how to interpret empty boxes.

"Some people have been almost pleasant and said they were just calling 'to voice my opinion,"' he said. "The flip side is that I've heard every profanity you can imagine. And people threatening to cut me up or beat me up or my wife."

One caller told the Youngs that "you are what's wrong with society."

"All this over cookies," Renea Young said.

She is so devastated, she said, that she hasn't been back to her part-time job as a Wal-Mart cashier.

"Our home is like a funeral parlor," Renea Young said. "They've robbed us of our laughter. My spirit, my soul, is damaged."

She questions whether she can continue as president of the board and director of the Durango Food Bank, a volunteer position she has held for 16 years. The charity, where co-workers say Young is a dedicated and capable leader, gives away 8,000 pounds of food a month to families in need.

"The food bank has been my passion. It would be a real loss to me," Young said. "But I wouldn't want to bring any harm to it."

She said the deluge of criticism has been hard on their 19-year-old daughter, a friend of Taylor Ostergaard's.

Herb Young says his once-bubbly daughter is now frequently in tears.

"I love Taylor," Renea Young says. "She's a super girl. She's been in my house many times. I don't know Lindsey, but I'm sure she's nice too. I never believed the girls meant any harm. It was just a prank."

In spite of this, she said, she sued for good reasons that she doesn't think have been spelled out in the media.

On July 31, between about 9:15 p.m. and 10:45 p.m., eight scattered rural families received surprise plates of homemade cookies with paper hearts that said, "Have a great night, the T and L Club." The Youngs' delivery was just after 10:30 p.m.

Renea Young was alone in her isolated country home with her daughter and ailing elderly mother. Her husband was out of town.

The girls pounded loudly on the back door and didn't answer when Renea Young called out, "Who's there?" Young said she could see only shadowy figures that ran away to a car parked outside the gate.

She was so frightened, she had an anxiety attack but thought it might be a heart attack, she said. When a sheriff's deputy came to the house, he found the cookies and concluded that no crime had been committed. But Young said she still felt ill the next day and went to the hospital.

Young soon figured out who had left the cookies and complained to Taylor's mother, Jill Ostergaard. She said Ostergaard and Lindsey's mother, Martha, offered, "even insisted" on paying almost $900 in medical bills not covered by insurance. But the months dragged on, and the families never sent the money.

"I really tried to settle this out of court four different times," Young says. "I'm not sure where it all went bad."

The Ostergaard and Zilletti families said they first waited to see a bill. Then they asked Young to sign an agreement that, with the roughly $900 paid, she would not make additional claims. Young said she was bothered by that request and the lack of trust she believed it signaled. By Dec. 30, she said, she felt that she had to go to court.

Whether the girls meant harm or not, Young told The Post, they had been responsible for frightening her family and sending her to the emergency room. She offered this analogy:

"I backed into a car in a parking lot. I didn't mean to. But I caused damage, and I had to pay for it."

Young said that if she had it to do over again, she still believes going to court was the right thing to do.

"I don't know how to change. I don't know how to compromise my principles," she said.

The Youngs' recent attempts to tell their side on radio talk shows or national television have been disasters, the couple said. The two girls they sued have been overwhelmed by messages of support. But the Youngs said they have been attacked in interviews.

The Ostergaard and Zilletti families have said they feel bad that the Youngs have been harassed.

"We hope people will stop," Jill Ostergaard said.

Taylor's father, Dick Ostergaard, was scheduled to appear in court today over a restraining order he filed Feb. 4 against Herb Young for allegedly making harassing calls to the Ostergaard home.

Then, the families hope, the cookie war will be over.

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2005, 03:52   #31
MaTTFURY
Major Dude

no comment to the americans because I'm aussie and will always nod "Stupid americans"

i am not normal, no really.
MaTTFURY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2005, 04:00   #32
cyu
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to cyu Send a message via Yahoo to cyu
hmmm... where is her heart attack now?? So two girls delivering cookies gave her health problems, but people who are threatening to kill her, yet no heart attacks or anything.
cyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions