Old 12th November 2005, 01:01   #1
Omit Name
mostly harmless
Major Dude

Sony is headed for bankruptcy

because of lawsuits from customers, inevitable lawsuits of the rootkit thing (microsoft is sure to sue them for quite a sum) and because of bad business; the sony brand could soon be dropping out.

some details in the sony's nose thread in game center.
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....14#post1805314

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=229877
http://www.technologypundits.com/ind...article_id=231
http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/7554/

Last edited by Omit Name; 12th November 2005 at 01:18.
Omit Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2005, 01:06   #2
toqer
Winamp's Little Stalker
(Member)

They're way to big to be brought down.
toqer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2005, 01:11   #3
morgado
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to morgado
Well, I've got a really nice CD Walkman and stereo from them. What a shame they did this and yes, I can also see their ending very near ....

I Love You Ana Luiza
MSN
morgado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2005, 01:16   #4
tuckerm
Forum Emo

yep just saw it during my show, there screw'd now.
tuckerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2005, 01:38   #5
zootm
Forum King

I doubt Sony are going down any time soon.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2005, 02:37   #6
J_Darnley
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to J_Darnley
Quote:
Originally posted by zootm
I doubt Sony are going down any time soon.
I think I'd have to agree with this point of view.

Winamp ATF ReferenceMy cPro timer widgetMy port of AVS
Do NOT email me with general tech support questions.
J_Darnley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2005, 02:41   #7
General Geoff
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to General Geoff Send a message via AIM to General Geoff
Sony is a huge multi-billion-dollar corporation. A few rough years of sales and some class-action lawsuits won't bankrupt them. But it will force them to rethink their DRM scheme.

General Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2005, 03:41   #8
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
i have a Sony Discman from june of '99 that still works. i also have a Sony Trinitron 15in monitor from a few years ago.

There is no sig.
deeder7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2005, 08:03   #9
DuaneJeffers
Major Dude

Yeah, Sony won't die. This DRM thing will die down, seeing as they are stopping the production of DRM CDs. Also, the PS3, believe it or not, will be the best selling console EVAR! It will spank the the snot out of the Xbox360. Also, Sony will not be sued by Microsoft. Sony's Computer Business helps bring in cash for Microsoft, so, if MS were to sue Sony, then Sony can pull MS off of their computers, and give consumers an OS-Free computer, that or one that is Linux based. Sony, believe it or not, has alot of money that they have and will continue to be making in lue of some fucked up DRM problem. Yes, I will agree that if Sony didn't include the DRM, then we wouldn't be talking about this, but in reality, they did, and we will be talking about this.

-DJ

Website

Yeah, that's pretty much it. :-\
DuaneJeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2005, 12:16   #10
tuckerm
Forum Emo

but thats temporarly they said.
there not stopping it fully, just temporarlly.
tuckerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2005, 14:07   #11
Omit Name
mostly harmless
Major Dude

duane: follow the links and read what these financial guys wrote they have sources on their articles.

since the ps3 sells at a 100 dollar loss each, the more ps3's they sell the worse off they are. because of this they will have to control supply or delay the heck out of it. either way they will lose investors and developers. sony is sitting on a pile of money right now but since all of their branch companies didnt do well this year and because of all the lawsuites that WILL happen, the cost of manufacturing their upcoming ps3, and because stock holders are not known for patience that money wont last them very long.

Omit Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2005, 17:07   #12
ertmann|CPH
Forum Viking
(Forum King)

yeah, plus the keiretsu system and goverment support will keep Sony going for many years even if they run out of cash...
ertmann|CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2005, 00:18   #13
sgtfuzzbubble011

Quote:
Sony is headed for bankruptcy
I hope so.
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2005, 00:27   #14
Vie
Forum King

Location: Thoron fields and Duranium shadows. Posts: Crap mostly
Buggery, thats going to be a pain for theatres, there about the only people still backing MD, and a lot of theatres use that as there standard format.

Member most in need of SpellCheck Lifetime Achievement Award

I'm a Twitch Streamer these days, it's weird.
Vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2005, 06:57   #15
Naamloos
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Omit Name
duane: follow the links and read what these financial guys wrote they have sources on their articles.

since the ps3 sells at a 100 dollar loss each, the more ps3's they sell the worse off they are. because of this they will have to control supply or delay the heck out of it. either way they will lose investors and developers. sony is sitting on a pile of money right now but since all of their branch companies didnt do well this year and because of all the lawsuites that WILL happen, the cost of manufacturing their upcoming ps3, and because stock holders are not known for patience that money wont last them very long.
no, they will make a lot of money on the games. So if there are more ps3 sold, more games will be sold, which will result in less loss
Naamloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2005, 08:48   #16
DuaneJeffers
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Omit Name
since the ps3 sells at a 100 dollar loss each, the more ps3's they sell the worse off they are.
Every new console since the beginning of time, has always, shipped with a loss to a console company. The only reason for this is:

Manufacturing. When a new console is released, they have to start manufacturing, which costs money (usually, this is an initial cost to start a steady stream of supply). This cost is then figured in to the sales price of the unit. Since consumers don't want to pay too much (and at $500 bucks for the PS3, Sony is asking for alot), the console manufacturer/company has to price it at a reasonable price point for it to stay at for a year or more, so they can make up the money for the console once they have more of a stock (this is usually why you see console not drop in price for 2 years). And this is all not factoring in the cost of the components of the system once a steady stream of stock has been made.

The Xbox video game console has lost Microsoft a total of about 20 million (or more) dollars to date, even when they are going to launch the 360 in less than a week and a half. Hell, even Microsoft plans to lose about 10 million on the first year of the 360's "reign". Same with Nintendo, same with Sony. They know that releasing a new console is going to be very costly, and they report this in their stock analysis.

Quote:
Posted by Naamloos
no, they will make a lot of money on the games. So if there are more ps3 sold, more games will be sold, which will result in less loss
There is also the fact that when new consoles ship, they ship with about 10 games, costing about 60 bucks a pop, for the new console. If you do the math, the money for they lose on the manufacturing of new consoles, is made up with the games ... whodathunkit

But, Sony, somehow, seems to be making money on the endeavor, so, more power to em.

-Duane

Website

Yeah, that's pretty much it. :-\
DuaneJeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions