Old 28th October 2003, 20:26   #1
Starbucks
Forum King

Intel says 90 nano tech on 12-inch Wafers Ramping Fast

Intel says the 90 nano process has "experienced rapid yield improvement and the defect density is now down to the low level needed for high volume manufacturing".

Sound's like good news.
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2003, 20:34   #2
marvinbarcelona
Major Dude

This has never happened to me before, but......I didn't understand one word of that, not one single word. I don't even know what the images refer to.....*weeps* ....I don't understand..

It's been said that I could start an arguement in an empty room.....I see no reason to disbelieve this.
marvinbarcelona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2003, 21:28   #3
dylman
Forum King

http://www.overclockers.com/articles857/index02.asp

There's no need to tell me when I'm right;
I operate on that principle exclusively and with absolute certainty
dylman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2003, 22:02   #4
Starbucks
Forum King

broken link dylman.
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2003, 22:09   #5
dylman
Forum King

Goddammit... The link's fine on my end.

Try this, the relevant info is on page two
http://www.overclockers.com/articles857/

It refers to an article at the Inquirer about a possible delay to Prescott. The Overclockers.com editorial then says:

Quote:
t goes on to say that Intel has to redo packaging and come up with a C stepping hoping to come up with something that will work by February, with mass production only to come considerably thereafter.

Frankly, this sounds inexplicably bad. If (comparatively) dumb ignorant overclockers can get high-end Northwoods to run at 3.6GHz and 300MHz FSB speed with little fuss, and Intel can get Xeons to run at 3.4GHz and 3.6GHz, why can't Intel get Prescott (which is essentially a die-shrunk Northwood) to run at 3.4GHz and a 200MHz bus?

This is beginning to sound like the 1.13 [Pentium 3] all over again, and this is a critical point most observers haven't gotten yet.

A delay of a few months is really no big deal in the great scheme of things for Intel. It may be good for AMD in that they'll be able to charge more for the relatively limited number of desktop Hammers it produces early next year (but not if those higher prices leave most on the sidelines).

However, if this is a 1.13 situation, if the process is basically broken past a certain speed, and Intel has to go back to the drawing board to serious revamp, we're talking about Intel being on the sidelines for a long time, just like it was in the Thunderbird era.

At worst, Intel may have to forget about Prescott and Tejas, and force-feed the next major redesign, Nehalem. Should that be the case, the first Nehalems might as well get named Willamette IIs. They'll probably be rushed, cut-down design implemented a process generation too early, just like Willamettes.

Should all these bad things happen, the next good processor from Intel might not come until 2006.

This would be much, much better for AMD, and if AMD can get 90nm SOI right more or less on time, they ought to do quite well.

Again, what is good for AMD isn't necessarily good for overclockers. If AMD tries to charge skyhigh prices when they're the only guys in town, their current customer base won't buy, and it's questionable how much and how fast Intel loyalists will shift over.

Remember that AMD had to slash prices even when they had a huge lead against the PIV with the later Thunderbirds, and we saw the spectacle of the world's fastest desktop CPU at the time selling for about $110.

There's no need to tell me when I'm right;
I operate on that principle exclusively and with absolute certainty
dylman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2003, 22:45   #6
Starbucks
Forum King

Problem: Prescott is dalayed.

Possible reason 1: Heat
Possible reason 2: Prescott incompatable with 875 and 865 chipsets

E