Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop > MilkDrop Presets

Old 27th May 2005, 18:30   #41
StudioMusic
Major Dude

Rova, use these instead. Will have one more soon. SM
Attached Files
File Type: zip studio music - presets for winamp 5.1.zip (15.1 KB, 263 views)
StudioMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2005, 19:41   #42
Tag
Streaming Media Expert

Send a message via AIM to Tag
We're getting ready for another significant release of Winamp. Please gather your Milkdrop submissions as soon as possible and post here to this thread. A max of 6 submissions will be taken for each author. 3 max for teams. This means author a and b can each do 6, and can do 3 together.

Powered by Redbull and Progressive House
Tag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2005, 22:10   #43
Eo.S.
Milkdrop Moderator

okay, i really have to speak up on this because I have some serious issues here that everyone here will agree on.

Currently milkdrop in winamp 5 comes with 400+ presets, the majority of them are ANCIENTt. If we only each get to put in some 6-9 presets, [so total we're only taking about maybe 50-60 additions]... NO ONE will ever see them.

There is nothing in the existing MD bundle that is newer than 2 yrs old. The majority of the existing presets don't use any of the newer features [shapes, custom waveforms] and pale in comparison to new stuff. Aside from people who post/lurk on this forum, EVERYONE I've ever mentioned milkdrop to [who already knew about it] has the same "oh that cheesy thing" reaction [we've lost multiple gigs to do visuals for a party because of it]. Because they see presets that were written years ago for Geforce 2's running at 320x240 resolution, they have NO idea what MD is really capable of.

6 presets per author basically denies everyone here the chance to show their work. There are authors who haven't created a new preset or posted in this forum in years and have 20, 30, 50+ presets already in MD.

Seriously, if we want Milkdrop in this day and age to get respect, it's going to take more than this measly number of additions. Everyone that I personally show milkdrop to and show them the new hot stuff is impressed, but I can't personally show it to everyone out there.

What we really need to do is eliminate most of the presets that are already bundled [they have been download god knows how many times already], save the hottest, still modern looking stuff [cerebral demons, Geiss's fractal shape presets come to mind]. And put in AT LEAST 200 new presets. For those people that are interested enough in MD to view the history of presets they can always download them from Rovastar's site. [in my opinion i think we should just ship MD with only new presets].

Phat, myself, and other authors have put an uncountable number of hours and passion into MD and 6-9 presets sucks. There are several times past where new presets were supposed to go in, and many of us submitted them for such, but they were never added. Apologies if I come of pretty strong here but I couldn't feel more strongly about this, and I doubt any of the authors here would disagree.

Eo.S.

P.S. we are DEAD serious that we cannot get visualization gigs because people hear the word "milkdrop" and won't even take a look at our stuff, instead having someone do cheeseball "video editing" with a $50 radio shack video mixer and two dvd players.
Eo.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2005, 22:19   #44
Phat
Major Dude

Seriously everyone that we say the name Milkdrop to that knows visuals says something like...
"Milkdrop, isn't that the dated winamp plugin?"

We've had to tell people we use proprietary software, and they belive it when we show them new presets. Because honestly they look so much better it looks like the software has been upgraded.

Guess why? It has, hardly any of the currently bundled presets use any of the advantages of Shapes or Custom Waveforms, let alone real time 3d.

We should have had presets bundled with the last update, but that never happend.

Are you trying to make this software look like it is still 5 years old?
Phat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2005, 02:12   #45
StudioMusic
Major Dude

Tag here is my 6. Regarding the other authors. Phat and Eo.S should get to post the most because they made the most then yin, shifter, redi jedi a few less. I am happy with 6, but Eo.S should have at least 50 and the other's something like 25 and for the author's that don't see this in time some already have post here, but once again they are older, but it they don't post in time use the one's they have already posted. I am not sure how many you will put in the install of winamp but I think something like I have said here should not take up to much space if you remove most the other's already there. I am not a person to regulate so disregard this if you do not like my opinion, but I think something like this is fair. I am fine with just these 6 so I am finished. Now you just have to deal with the other's. Regarding Rovastar, Zylot, Unchained and Krash I do not know. Also disregard my other post in here because this is the 6 I want. SM
Old 5th June 2005, 02:54   #46
Eo.S.
Milkdrop Moderator

Studio, those numbers are fine by me....

How about we just delete the 200 oldest/weakest presets from what is currently bundled, and add in a combined 200 from the current lot of MD authors. I'll even volunteer to weed through the bundled presets to clean out the gutters.

Eo.S.
Old 5th June 2005, 03:03   #47
StudioMusic
Major Dude

Eo.S That is fine just leave some of Aderassi's and Unchained's and Rova's. By the way I forgot to mention some people like fishbrain and mstress and if I left anyone else out I am sorry it is not intentional. Also Eo.S forgot to mention that most the new presets are bigger in size than most the old one's because they have more code. In other words 100 of the old might take up as much space as same something like 70 of the new ones. SM
Old 5th June 2005, 11:51   #48
shifter

I'd agree with eo.s on this, 6 presets from each author is pretty minimal, particularly given that the hundreds which come with winamp are in desperate need of some culling

there's some good stuff in there tho, so trim the fat but i wouldn't say get rid of them all
shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2005, 22:11   #49
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Yes, we need to know which ones you reckon should be removed from the current package, and we also need you to post the ones you hope to be included here.

I'll leave the rest to Tag...
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2005, 23:51   #50
Eo.S.
Milkdrop Moderator

flames? No one here is flaming anyone, we just want all the hardwork that has been put into presets over the last two years to actually get seen [don't forget there have already been a few times past where new submissions were supposed to be added, and never were].

And as for tons of submissions, there's only about 8 people [if that] that even post presets in this forum at all. You only just posted for new submissions yesterday [6-04-05].

Eo.S. - sorry for actually caring about the art of MD and all the other authors in this forum...
Old 6th June 2005, 00:04   #51
Phat
Major Dude

"My hope was that there would be TONS of submissions, so far we got ONE (thanks studio).

But after thinking about this, and seeing the reaction from the community and the flames. Lets just forget the whole thing.

Thanks for your time."

TONS of submissions, take the time to read the posts here, there are like 5 active authers.

We've submitted presets before and nothing has happend. 6 presets is not anything, but if you want them, here are my 6.

I can't belive after 2 years of work 6 presets is all I am worth.

This is directly the reason why Milkdrop look out dated. Milkdrop has the capacity to look so much better then it does curently, and does on OUR COMPUTERS.

You have to understand with about 5 active users, 5*6= 30 presets. There are currently over 400 old presets in Milkdrop, that means the last 2 years is represented maybe once or twice for a few seconds of every hour that people watch the program.

Please, we are not flameing you. This is a valid concern.

Since you're an admin you should try to be a little less petty here and realize that 6 presets between the max or 8 authers you are going to get to reply is in no way proportional to the length of time since you have updated the presets. At all.

O btw, that whole I don't like a few people's responces so I'm going to punish the rest of you is the way 40 year old house wives opperate.
Old 6th June 2005, 00:11   #52
Phat
Major Dude

Here are my six, and 3 that are for me and Eo.S.

Furthering our titles as some of the most underrated artist in our day.
Attached Files
File Type: zip just_in_case.zip (14.7 KB, 217 views)
Old 6th June 2005, 00:14   #53
Phat
Major Dude

These are me and Eo.S's 3 together.

You do know these are just text files, and take up virtually no space right?
Old 6th June 2005, 01:17   #54
Eo.S.
Milkdrop Moderator

>(
Attached Files
File Type: zip eo.s.-6.zip (18.3 KB, 218 views)
Old 6th June 2005, 03:25   #55
StudioMusic
Major Dude

Your welcome Tag. Everyone just post six presets so we can get some new stuff in winamp. Tag I hope you put the stuff we post in. SM
Old 6th June 2005, 03:33   #56
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Well, I can't speak for Tag, but eg. if you've already got x amount of presets included with the current default distro, then maybe if you said 'remove these 10 old ones of mine (list) and add these 10 new ones'... (where 10 is a variable)

I guess the 6/9 limitation mainly applies to everyone else.

Though please wait for Tag's confirmation/final word on this issue, as he is the authority here, whereas I'm just using my initiative and making suggestions, heh ;-)

For now, just keep posting your presets please.
Note: Only the presets posted in THIS thread will be considered.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2005, 03:41   #57
StudioMusic
Major Dude

Eo.S if it is alright with tag you can take out one of my Unchained remixes and put in one of your new repeater presets. Your choice of which one of the remixes you want to replace with one of the repeaters. I think I like psychic the best. Just name the one so I can make a new pack of 5. SM
Old 6th June 2005, 04:11   #58
Eo.S.
Milkdrop Moderator

Egg... the thing is, we dont' have ANY presets in the existing winamp, so there aren't 10 to replace. The last time there was opportunity to submit new presets [a year ago], we did, and nothing evfer came of it. I don't understand why Tag thinks that there is any flaming going on here at all, we're only bring up the very real issue that most people do not respect milkdrop, because the majority of the bundled presets don't even look as good as current windows media player visualizations.
We've already been denied getting presets in once. There's people who don't even post here that have 20 or 30 presets from milkdrop 1.1. I could see 6 per person if there 30 or 40 people that were going to submit presets, but there's not. If i have to, i'll be the one to go through the bundled 426 and delete the old stuff myself to make room for the cutting edge stuff that should be in there.
Fact of the matter, presets that looked hot in 2002 on a 320x240 screen at the lowest mesh size are not impressive by any of today's standards.

Thanks Studio, though repeater 14-definitive is in my list. Why don't you just replace one of the presets in yours with your favorite one of mine.

Eo.S.
Old 6th June 2005, 04:21   #59
StudioMusic
Major Dude

Eo.s I just hope Tag puts the 6 everyone post in. And one of my favs of yours in Technicolor, I will let you pick the one of those you want. Or the psychic one. Your pick. Shifter, Yin post 6 presets. SM
Old 6th June 2005, 04:39   #60
StudioMusic
Major Dude

I have seen some Tag post here, but now there gone? SM
Old 6th June 2005, 04:39   #61
Tag
Streaming Media Expert

Send a message via AIM to Tag
I made a mistake in limiting the presets count. I had wrongly assumed that there would be 1000's of submissions, and we'ed be forced to wade through them. But since there's as you say 8 authors and not the 100 i thought there where, then I guess we'll make it a free for all.

Sound good? Can we stop ranting and upload the presets and put my mistake behind us?

Thanks.

ps: Here's a remix I did of someone's YIN remix. How do you guys keep track of all this stuff?

100 authors * 6 presets == 600 presets (bad math tag, BAD MATH)

SM: Re-submit your presets zip above, i screwed up and blasted yours.
Attached Files
File Type: zip tags remix.zip (3.5 KB, 229 views)