Old 21st February 2011, 06:39   #1
rockouthippie
Banned

This winter sucks.

I am in Oregon, and compared to some of the country, I got nothin to gripe about. It reminded me of high school and reading the Lewis and Clark journals and how a lot of the soldiers died of moldy weather like this when they hit Astoria.

It's been, dark, rainy, windy, nasty and moldy. I feel like I have mushrooms growing in my ears. The last couple days have been sunny, but the wind will just cut right thru you. Nexts weeks treat is "snow". Which means sloppy, rainish wind driven crap that will turn everything into a mud slurpee then freeze, thaw, freeze, thaw for a couple days. Auto insurance agents will be very busy Thursday.

I've seen a lot of winters here, good and bad. This one isn't unique. Luckily the days are getting a couple minutes longer every day now. More cold, clear and windy this week, along with a couple days of mud slurpee. This has been a pretty mild winter, no big snow storms.

I can't remember many winters where it was so miserable to be outside. There are a lot of winters that have been more severe. Somebody told me one time "You'll catch your death of mud" punning the "You'll catch your death of cold" old wives tale. It was a winter like this.

I grieve the poor members of the Lewis and Clark expedition who were slimed to death in a winter like this. I'd like to just go outside and not "catch my death of mud". I'd like a coat without muddy dog prints. Real snow would be so nice.

I know how fortunate I am this winter not to be back east, but this winter sucks.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2011, 21:31   #2
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

This winter "SUCKS THE BIG SNEAKER OF LIFE"™
Widdykats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2011, 00:56   #3
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
I was spoiled to very early spring weather for the Ohio Valley after a very persistent winter, with 60-degree weather, sleeves rolled up, and no jacket required...Because of the cold front that brought along a little rain, tomorrow's high is looking like lower-40s, lows below freezing...

GTFO winter

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2011, 19:27   #4
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

Well you could go to Tripoli... It's much warmer there.

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Warrior of the Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2011, 19:44   #5
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I don't like the Winter...
It is so cold, in the "Christmas Time" I was ill (4 weeks). And I feel the cold from outside again through the closed windows. My back and my shoulders pain me again now. I am waiting for the spring, for the sunshine...
So I am jumping into the "Ocean Of Thousands Colours" now (in my "Phantasy World"), to forget this Winter...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2011, 22:59   #6
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ Uh...er....good?
Widdykats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 00:38   #7
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
We're still getting the bitter cold. This morning it was around -5 at sunrise, with a wind chill in the negative double digits. I haven't see epic snow like last year though. Just a lot of serious cold and wind.

One good thing is that we don't get the mold or the damp cold, because the constant sub-freezing temperature prohibits it. Fall and spring don't really exist in the Midwest. You have very hot summers and very cold winters; almost nothing in between. I'm hoping to move somewhere with a better fall and spring soon.

Lewis and Clark's team sure went through a lot. I'm glad we have roads and automobiles now. I visited Astoria a couple summers ago ('08 maybe?) and was lucky enough to visit a lot of places that provided some of their history. When I lived in South Dakota, there were a lot of spots nearby that showed their path.

I trust you've visited here a couple times:

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 02:50   #8
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I hate to pick up very old threads...
But I have to do that now. We have the 21st March already behind us, and we have April now and Easter...
But it's still very cold in Berlin with Minus 1 until Minus 7 Degree Celsius with many snow, in the other German Cities it's not much better. Here I have a whole map for Germany:
http://www.unwetterzentrale.de/uwz/index.html
I have fears now, that there will be no Spring in Germany and that we will miss also a real Summer for this year...
How is the weather in the other countries now?...
Greetings again
Old 1st April 2013, 14:17   #9
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

same here but we're not really that far away from each other. We've had snowfall yesterday. Yesterday was also the first day of the summertime. Now we have an hour extra of sunlight at the end of the day to shovel snow.

Summer will come... eventually.

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Warrior of the Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 19:58   #10
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Do You want to know, what did I post as "Happy Easter Greetings" on my Facebook-Wall?... 2 Christmas-Songs from YouTube, also "Silent Night" from the "Jingle Cats"...
Oooh... the chat-guest from Netherlands is not in the radio-chat today, so that I cannot ask him, how is the weather in Netherlands now...
Edit: I am asking the people in a chat in Mixlr now, in Manchester it's also cold, but sunny...
Old 1st April 2013, 22:01   #11
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Sunny, 14 degrees C.
Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 22:50   #12
webthing
Forum King

webthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 02:44   #13
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

The people, who have visited Strandbad Wannsee in Berlin (Germany) last Friday (4 days ago) and who have bathed in this cold Water, must be crazy...
http://www.rbb-online.de/nachrichten...d_wannsee.html
No, no, no... I'm right with my fears... I don't go to Strandbad Wannsee, if it's so cold...
Old 2nd April 2013, 13:55   #14
rockouthippie
Banned

Much better.

No wool and no gloves for a week or so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wxpdx.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	50390  
Old 2nd April 2013, 23:38   #15
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I think, You know already, that I am always afraid of a next upcoming Winter, because I know, what will expect me in a Winter: Freezing very much, especially outside, becoming ill very often, and much more (for example pipe-breaks)...
We have currently Plus 1-2 Degree Celsius for Berlin, this night Brandenburg should get until Minus 7 Degree, and with 0 Degree the water will become ice. This week we will keep these very cold days in Berlin-Brandenburg:
http://www.rbbtext.de/171
For Germany we use Celsius, but I know, other countries use Fahrenheit...
Okay, the "crazy people" will have a very strong body, but I myself would become very ill immediately by swimming in such a cold water. I don't go swimming in a river or lake now in these very cold days, not in Berlin, not in Brandenburg and also not in Betannia...
Old 5th April 2013, 08:05   #16
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to mike-db
My winter was alright coldest we got was -20 degrees Celsius. Could have been colder.

The days here are getting up to about 15 - 20 plus area. I'm told to expect it to peak around 40 by summer maybe even hotter.

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
mike-db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 03:34   #17
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

All is warm now. 78 Fahrenheit was the high today. Sunny and windy.

Old 9th April 2013, 21:24   #18
rockouthippie
Banned

The weather isn't too bad today. Raining a little. It has been raining like you were in a car wash for a couple days. Like a cow pissing on a flat rock. Toads drowned. Oregon is like that.
Old 10th April 2013, 02:16   #19
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

High of 83 today on my way from work to my students' double-header ball game, but by the time the game started, it was down to about 79, and at the end of both games it was 64. Excellent baseball weather, and our boys won both games by a good margin. I had the wife and little baby there, and there was room to toss a blanket and toys down for the baby to play. The boys who usually try to act macho (especially when big and bad in their uniforms) melted and started cooing like little girls around her. It was a good night, in large part because this winter is over, even though I like winter too.

Old 12th April 2013, 02:02   #20
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Finally it is becoming warmer (You can look on the pages 171-173):
http://www.rbbtext.de/171
But I feel, my body breaks down. My body does not tolerate this weather conversion, then I always get nausea and weakness. I have to return to bed again and again, then I sleep the next hours, then I get up, but I am only shortly at my PC (today I had to leave my PC during a radio show). Each Spring it's the same with me, between March and May, then my body does not work, how it should...
But I refuse the blood examinations. I have no fear of the needle, but I have fears of the results, that my blood values could be very bad, and then because of these results my own life could be destroyed forever. The doctors could forbid me forever many things, I never would be allowed anymore to eat and drink them. I know, that's very terrible, because many other people suddenly got this problem because of a blood examination. But I want to eat ice cream, cake and other sweets and I want to drink beer and cola also in the future...
I will wait again, because I know, my condition is getting better by itself again. And then I hope, the current situations will leave enough time for me. The lake, the Berliner Schlachtensee, was so nice, and the lake is already waiting for me. I want to see this lake again...
http://www.visitberlin.de/en/spot/schlachtensee
http://unlike.net/berlin/escapism/schlachtensee
Old 13th April 2013, 01:12   #21
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Cool and breezy; girls softball today; brought the wife and daughter. Good win of a game, and although we had to wear sweatshirts and wrap the little one in a blanket, it was a good evening out after a heavy week of work.

Old 14th April 2013, 06:04   #22
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

This night 0 Degree Celsius and on the next day 26 Degree Celsius (the link to "rbbtext" is already in this thread). Then It will become much colder again, maybe next weekend also with snow. No wonder, that my body does not work...
Last evening I had to cancel my live-show, because I had not only sickness, also very massive headaches... http://mixlr.com/sabine-klare/chat I have redirected the people to Fingers In The Noise and Deep Joss. I have visited only one of them, and while the music was running, I had to return to bed. And during writing this text my back is paining me...
I have used also the Google Translator. The English word is "springtime fatigue". I want to get my body working again...
Old 14th April 2013, 17:58   #23
rockouthippie
Banned

Here it's been pretty cold... 39F last night. That would be ok except the wind is pretty nasty giving a wind chill factor of BRRRR! It's been raining some too, which is good because when it's raining the temperature comes up a few degrees.
Old 18th April 2013, 11:32   #24
fc*uk

Since we are the only country that uses it...

Here in sunny Florida our highs averaged about 23-25C over the winter and lowes were probably 15-18C on average.

Later this week we are looking to push 30C....

Wait, what is winter again
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 12:05   #25
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Here in sunny Florida
Where in America would you give a temperature in centigrade? Nobody would know what the hell you were talking about.
Old 18th April 2013, 12:17   #26
fc*uk

Yeah, you are right. Absolutely no where...

I did not finish the thought: since we are the only country on earth to use Fahrenheit...
Old 19th April 2013, 00:30   #27
rockouthippie
Banned

The metric system is a commie plot. We'll know we're done if they ever get us to switch

I was out in the weather earlier in the week. 45 degrees, but a mean wind chill factor. I got cold to the bone. Ever freeze your muscles? I just ache. A hot shower usually puts me right, but not this time. I've been keeping the house at 85, which seems to be helping some. I could sure use a 90 degree beach.
Old 19th April 2013, 03:22   #28
fc*uk

Yes ... FL is nice in that respect. The Atlantic is much warmer than the Pacific, so in that respect it stabizes our temperatures here ... 95+
degree days inland are always 85 here with a cool breeze off the drink.

In the "winter" it warms us and keeps the temps constant. It's hard to cool that large of a body of water; at least on this side.
Old 19th April 2013, 09:22   #29
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

In the Physic Lessons at school we have talked about Celsius, Fahrenheit and Kelvin (1979/1980).
I have made the AOL Search now:
http://www.aolsearch.com/search?s_it...renheit+kelvin
And I have decided for these 3 links:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grad_Celsius
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fahrenheit
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempera...erature_scales
Oh no, I have always thought, they would only use these 3 units of measure for temperature, but it seems, they use 8 units of measure for temperature...
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions