Old 28th September 2008, 05:14   #1
CMGaretJax

iPod Classic 120 gb Sync Problem - Missing Songs

I want to sync my entire media library to my new classic. For some reason the standard iPod plugin for winamp would not work (lots of files with a "cannot open file" error), so I figured I'd try ml_iPod. Big difference! but unfortunately there are a phantom 40 songs out of my library that do not sync. I have 6389 items and only 6349 want to sync. Any advice on finding/fixing these phantom 40 items?

I found a few songs that had japanese characters in them, which I got rid of, though that did not change the 40 song difference. Any other ideas of what could be driving it?

Note: I have windows vista, and I have 25 wma files that are not compatible, which I would assume (though I don't know) are part of that 40 difference. Also, I recently completely reset the iPod to factory defaults, deleting everything on it, so I doubt the problem is database related.
CMGaretJax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2008, 17:43   #2
frauhottelmann

You might want to read this thread: http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=296776
Look for Unicode symbols in your song names, they are not compatible with ml_iPod!

ml_Ipod-Wiki
iPod Classic Black 80GB
-
Samsung Galaxy S
frauhottelmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2008, 17:53   #3
CMGaretJax

how would I find those symbols in my large library?

I thought the Japanese text was unicode, which is why I mentioned that the 40 song difference did not change after I edited the files and id3 tages to remove the characters. Also, when you say song names, are you referring to the file names, or just the id3 tag titles?

I just have no idea how to find these 40 songs out of the 6,000 some songs in my library so that I can fix them.
Old 28th September 2008, 20:23   #4
Stupifier
Major Dude

Maybe look on google for a tool that finds Unicode characters in filenames throughout a given folder. I'm sure there is one.

also, I believe there are some MP3 Tag editor programs that are capable of avoiding unicode symbols.
Stupifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2008, 20:47   #5
CMGaretJax

I've attempted to do that, and I can't really find anything, though I'm continuing to google around. And I don't understand what frauhottelmann says is incompatible - the file name or the tags?

Notwithstanding, when I did remove characters that were japanese, It didn't change the difference between the files ml_ipod intended to synch and the number of files I have in my library. So I don't even know that unicode is the problem.

Last but not least, I'm down to only a 15 file difference, since I converted all of the other non-ipod compatible formats to mp3. I know 15 out of this many is insignificant, but I have no idea what isn't synching, so I might be missing a favorite, and I'd much rather have a complete sync anyway.
Old 28th September 2008, 21:12   #6
fatcerberus1
Major Dude

Do a sync and then attach your debuglogs. The debuglog should list all the songs that were considered in the sync--including ones that were skipped.

Windows 7 Beta
iPod touch (Second Generation), 8GB
Winamp 5.55 with ml_iPod 3.08
fatcerberus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2008, 03:30   #7
CMGaretJax

I finally figured everything out; for purposes of helping people in the future who can't sync everything, a good process is as follows:

1) sort all your winamp library by the file type to check for incompatible file types, if you find any, then you can convert those to something compatible.

2) If it still doesn't all sync, you should probably look for the unicode problems. I fixed most of mine by getting tag and rename 3.4.6, and setting it to not put unicode in id3v2 tags and then using the multi file tag editor to re tag all of the files, which deletes unicode characters.

3) last, but not least, if you still can't sync, the debug log is very useful to find any remaining problems. My last 15 were filenames that used one chracter for the roman numeral IV as opposed to an I and a V.
Old 29th September 2008, 16:07   #8
frauhottelmann

Good that you figured it out!

ml_Ipod-Wiki
iPod Classic Black 80GB
-
Samsung Galaxy S
frauhottelmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 01:50   #9
Stupifier
Major Dude