Old 15th April 2007, 02:44   #1
loop6719

5.33 freezes upon opening

I have a problem with 5.33 Full freezing up as soon as it opens and then I get the obligatory MS error report. I Have used 5.33 for a short time and had no problems, as I have had with previous versions of Winamp. This error was quite odd because I had used it the night before and it worked fine, overnight I downloaded a new security update, KB890830, from MS...only new thing added in the 8-10 hours between the time I last used Winamp.. The next morning as I prepared for work and go to load up Winamp...nothing...It begins to load the console and then it just stops and gives me the error report. I have uninstalled and reinstalled clean (Full Version) at least 4 times and each time i load it, it still gives me the same error. I have run Adaware and Spybot thinking it may be some nefarious deed ...still nothing. I did have some success when installed the Light Version so I decide to load the Full version on top of it...and Bam! it freezes again..Help me I had to call in sick on Friday because I did not have my internet radio.

Specs:
PC Emachines: T3092
CPU/RAM: AMD Athlon XP 3000+ 448mb ram (512) 2.17 Ghz
Sound card: Nvidia nForce
Videocard: Nvidia Nforce Geforce4 MX graphics integrated GPU
DirectX Ver: 9.0c
Plugins: I only downloaded the full version, so if it comes with any I have some...if it does not come with any then I have never installed any.
Attached Files
File Type: txt hijackthis.txt (0, 145 views)
loop6719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2007, 08:17   #2
J_Darnley
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to J_Darnley
When you get this report to Microsoft error box it should have a blue link saying "To see what data this report contains, click here" which will then reveal the following information:
AppName: Winamp.exe | AppVer: ? | ModName: ? | ModVer: ? | Offset: ?

Please give us that as you said Winamp Lite was fine but as soon as you installed Full you began to experience problems. This could be to do with the Modern Skin support or the Media Library or any of the other extra plugins you get with Full.

Also, your HijackThis log is empty....

Winamp ATF ReferenceMy cPro timer widgetMy port of AVS
Do NOT email me with general tech support questions.
J_Darnley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2007, 01:13   #3
loop6719

I do not understand why it was fine one night and then this problem just appears the next day????

app name: winamp.exe app ver: 5.3.2.1100
mod name: msvcr71.dll mod ver: 7.10.3052.4
offset: 00010428

I hope i attached the hj log txt this time

thanks for the help...i miss my winamp already...too quiet in here.
Attached Files
File Type: txt hijackthis413.txt (8.6 KB, 201 views)
Old 17th April 2007, 20:47   #4
siebe83
Forum King

Strange.

See if a clean install of Winamp 5.33 helps.
(the error message you posted says that you're using 5.32)

Good Winamp plugins by Joonas, DrO and shaneh.
If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2007, 02:08   #5
loop6719

My Mistake I mistyped my app ver as 5.32 in my previous post...It should read 5.3.3.1100 and it is what I just received from my most recent error report
I have tried a clean install at least five times, in fact I just tried it again as you requested(4/17) hoping for the best and got the exact same error. I load it .. and as the console is about to come onto the screen....it freezes and all I see is a blob of a console(best description for it). I do not get any buttons or anything but a silver blob so I have to close the program. I am in a fog??
Old 18th April 2007, 09:23   #6
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Please post a List of Plugins
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2007, 01:29   #7
loop6719

I tried to run "one for nunz" but it will not work since my winamp does not open...when it is finished loading it prompts me to open winamp and I receive the same error reporting box.

As far as I know I only have the default 1st party plug-ins that come with 5.33...from what I can remember, it looks very similar to the list(from 5.24) that you have posted in the FAQ section.

thanks
Old 19th April 2007, 09:03   #8
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Try disabling the usual suspects first...

Go to the foder where you installed Winamp, usually:
C:\Program Files\Winamp

Right-click the file PRIMOSDK.DLL
Select "Rename", and rename it to PRIMOSDK.DLL.OFF

(the caps are just for clarification, you can use smallcase if you wish)

Or just move PRIMOSDK.DLL out of the Winamp folder and into some backup folder elsewhere (eg. My Documents\Backup\Winamp)

Does Winamp startup ok now?

If yes, then this suggests a problem with your Sonic Burning/Ripping Engine installation. Either it wasn't installed correctly (or you haven't rebooted since installing), or there's a conflict between it and some other concurrently running process (eg. Nero InCD).

If the problem persists, go to the Winamp\Plugins folder
and move/disable ML_PMP.DLL

This is the Portable Media Player support plugin, for managing device such as iPod, Creative Nomad/Zen, USB thumbdrives, P4S & ActiveSync devices, etc (note that ml_pmp.dll loads the actual individual pmp plugins, eg. pmp_ipod.dll, pmp_usb.dll, pmp_p4s.dll, pmp_*.dll, but these won't load if ml_pmp.dll isn't present).

Does Winamp open ok now?

Let us know how it goes...

ps. If the crash still occurs...
Go the Winamp\Plugins folder
Click the "View" menu, select "Details"
Click "View" again, then "Arrange icons by > Type"

Make sure all DLL files are showing, take a screenshot (Alt+Printscreen), paste it into your favorite imaging app (IrfanView, PSP, Photoshop, etc), save it as a png or jpg, and attach it here (hopefully it will be less than 100k, which is the attachment limit, but if it goes over then upload it to stashbox.org and post the link here).
Old 20th April 2007, 18:07   #9
loop6719

Thanks EGG for all your help:

I did as you asked in the previous post and had no success
with primosdk.dll and/or the ml_pmp.dll It still crashes... so I have posted my plugin folder at the following link:
http://stashbox.org/18117/WINAMP%205.33%20Stbx.png

I could not fit the entire screen shot on one page so I edited it to be side by side..you'll figure it out.

Let me say I do not use ANY Mp3 players or do I burn disks using Nero or any other Ripping/burning software...about my only use for winamp is to listen to internet radio and the occasional CD(which I put in my D drive and press play) and the occasional media files. But radio is 95% of my use..hey I grew up with an AM radio

the only external device i plug in to my usb is my digital camera
Old 26th April 2007, 19:27   #10
loop6719

Followup...no new posts???

I continue to have the same problem....anyone have an answer.

I tried 5.34 and still it does the exact same thing, it freezes when the console is about to open and then it gives me the error report:
app name winamp.exe app ver: 5.34.1278
mod name: msvcr 71.dll mod ver: 7.10.3052.4
offset 00010428

I only have success when I use 5.33 lite??
Old 26th April 2007, 21:42   #11
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

But not 5.34 Lite?

Try a clean install of 5.34 Full

If the problem persists

Try disabling gen_ml.dll (the media library)
Does the problem persist?
If no, then we will need to determine which of the ml plugins (ml_*.dll) is causing the problem....

Move all the ml_*.dll files out of the Winamp\Plugins folder, put gen_ml.dll back in.
Restart Winamp

Does the error persist?

If no, then close Winamp and put one of the ml_*.dll plugins back in, eg. ml_local.dll (Local Media).

Repeat this process, putting one ml_*.dll back in the Plugins dir, closing & reopening Winamp inbetween, until the problem reoccurs.

The last ml plugin you restored will be to blame, and we'll take things from there.

If it's none of the gen_ml/ml_*.dll plugins to blame, then we'll move on to the other plugins...
Old 26th April 2007, 23:05   #12
richbenn

Do you have Nero 7 Ultimate installed? I had a problem and it turns out in my case at least the the two are incompatable. I installed 5.08 and all is well again!

Good luck, Rich
richbenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support