Old 15th August 2016, 13:49   #1
logansryche

Shoutcast Questions

Morning everyone I believe this belongs here but not sure as the thread descriptions are a bit vague. I've been trying to search for the best optimal equipment to handle hosting 10+ shoutcast 2.0 instances for people and have been coming up short. Each instance would be provisioned for 100 listeners at 128kbps with possibly AutoDJ using Linux & Centova. Now, what little info I did find stated I'd need high internet because of bandwidth and dedicated hardware for stability. I'm on Fios 100/100 unmetered so I have bandwidth covered.

Hardware wise I was thinking of using 10 dual-core 2gb ram laptops, running a server instance on each laptop. I was going to replace all the hard drives with SSDs for seek time and reliablity(I've yet to have a SSD go out on me). I was going to then run ethernet cords to a switch for again, reliablity. I'm only even considering this route for laptops low power consumption. Now, I was thinking of setting these up for 128kbps for 256 listeners. Would these laptops be able to handle that? If not, I'm all ears on hardware suggestions. I'd also go test my theory but I don't have any laptops lying around and figured i'd ask here before actually delving into this line of thinking.

Any info on this matter would be appreciated,
Thanks, Rycon
logansryche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2016, 14:57   #2
logansryche

I'm guessing by the thread views and lack of replies no one knows the answer to my question so I'll have to go hunt down a dual-core laptop from someone and test to find my answer.
Old 17th August 2016, 06:54   #3
jaromanda
Forum King

Quote:
I'm on Fios 100/100 unmetered so I have bandwidth covered.

does the 100 in 100/100 stand for GIGABIT or MEGABIT? I hope it's GIGABIT, because

Quote:
10+ shoutcast 2.0 instances for people and have been coming up short. Each instance would be provisioned for 100 listeners at 128kbps
100 * 128k * 10 = 128mbit ...

So, if you think your "bandwidth is covered", then you clearly have no idea what you are talking about

but it gets better

Quote:
10 dual-core 2gb ram laptops ... I was thinking of setting these up for 128kbps for 256 listeners
256 * 128k * 10 = 327Mbits

Truly hope your 100/100 is gigabits now, because your not even close to provisioning enough bandwidth

as for 10 dedicated PC's laptops? yeah, why not - if you can get them cheaper than a single low end enterprise grade server, then go for it

Is it just me or are shoutcast users getting dumber?
jaromanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2016, 11:58   #4
logansryche

Hello Jaromanda, thanks for commenting. You are correct in that my fios is provisioned for 100d/100u in mbits with a speedbooster(I run 5 desktops and an xbox on this service without issue). Since according to your figures I shouldn't be able to run a server instance without issue, my next goal would be to look into a paid hosted dedicated server(which I don't have an issue with).

I did research this a bit but I have more questions then answers. 1&1 is offering a 12-core 32gb ram server im guessing over gigabit net but isn't listed(just marked unlimited). How many 256 listener/128kbps instances can I run on that?

Thanks again,
Rycon
Old 17th August 2016, 23:58   #5
jaromanda
Forum King

Quote:
I did research this a bit but I have more questions then answers. 1&1 is offering a 12-core 32gb ram server im guessing over gigabit net but isn't listed(just marked unlimited). How many 256 listener/128kbps instances can I run on that?
NO idea - you haven't mentioned ACTUAL bandwidth, just a guess - I'd say you could run 100 instances - but bandwidth is the MAIN limiting factor when it comes to DNAS (or any streaming, actually)

if it is 1GB - then use the formulas I used in my previous answer - you'll get 20 to 30

Old 18th August 2016, 00:34   #6
logansryche

Then my next best thing is to ask them about bandwidth because they advertise unlimited - that could be anything i suppose. Thanks you the info and the formula for future use.

-Rycon
Old 18th August 2016, 05:39   #7
jaromanda
Forum King

sorry, when I say bandwidth, I mean Network capacity - not Network consumption

"unlimited" refers to consumption (for example gigabytes per month)

capacity is in bits (kilo/mega/giga/tera) bits per second

NOTE: someone can advertise unlimited bandwidth, at 100mbits/second, in that case they are advertising unlimited consumption ... mathematically, there's actually a limit of 32.85 TeraBYTES per month - while that's a snotload, it's not really unlimited

Old 18th August 2016, 07:27   #8
logansryche

Not, it really isn't but thanks for the further info and clarification
Old 1st September 2016, 14:34   #9
Taino

Taino

Every time I add a song to my playlist, winamp crashes, cannot find a solution for this, can someone help?
Taino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2016, 20:38   #10
logansryche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taino View Post
Every time I add a song to my playlist, winamp crashes, cannot find a solution for this, can someone help?
wrong thread to post on - create your own thread please.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions