Old 6th January 2001, 03:58   #1
Flynnz
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Flynnz Send a message via AIM to Flynnz Send a message via Yahoo to Flynnz

Question: where is the key in the registry that has to do with automatically starting things when explorer/windows starts? (You know.. lots of programs don't put anything in the startup folder, but they still load on startup of windows or explorer.)

So.. two questions I guess.
Flynnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2001, 04:29   #2
Flynnz
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Flynnz Send a message via AIM to Flynnz Send a message via Yahoo to Flynnz
KICKASS!!

Thanks a lot Sawg!

Now I just need to figure out which ones I can delete. Some crap in there I know I don't need to run at start up.
  • Go!Zilla dial-up fix? I [/i]think[/i] (hope) I can delete that.
  • Why is Tweak UI doing something at start up? ("RUNDLL32.EXE, TWEAKUI.CPL, TweakMeUp")
  • I can finally stop seti@home from loading automatically at start up.
  • Ditto with InoculateIT.
  • Vet Alert (vetmsg9x.exe) has something to do with InoculateIT, right? (I ask because it's in the windows\system dir)
  • What's TaskMonitor?
  • What's the point of the autoscan of the registry? (scanregw.exe)
  • What's the deal with the "LoadPowerProfile" value (it loads a bunch of dlls) and why is it in the Run and RunServices keys?
  • I think I can guess what systray.exe is... (speaking of that, where's the info on the system tray stored?)
How do I know which things only load when explorer is loaded.. and which ones load when windows starts up?

Many props to anyone who reads this and gives any feedback.
Old 6th January 2001, 05:37   #3
Flynnz
Major Dude

cooo beens

sawg - you're the man.

Couple things:

If things in the RunServices key are executed before logging in (with Microsoft Family Logon?), why doesn't ZoneAlarm's splash screen come up until after you've logged in?

Still don't know why the LoadPowerProfile thing is in the Run and RunServices keys...

I can safely remove the Tweak UI stuff, right? (I mean - clearing and repairing? Weird.)

I still don't get what Vet Alert is.. a seperate program just for malicious email scripts? Wha-huh?!

System tray: I was wondering how I could look at and modify what's loaded into the system tray. Or.. uhmm... hmmmm.. I was wondering that. I'm just realizing how.. I guess that the programs themselves just decide whether or not they're in the system tray... nevermind.
Old 6th January 2001, 06:13   #4
Flynnz
Major Dude

er...

I kinda already removed the Tweak UI thing. Hope that doesn't cause any problems. Eek.

I guess I need to know WHY. I mean.. I very much appreciate the advice, but before I go removing the Vet Alert thing, I wanna know what it is... And what exactly (does anyone know?) does Tweak UI do when Windows starts?
Old 6th January 2001, 06:26   #5
Flynnz
Major Dude

Hehe... thanks.

I've already got X-Setup though. Kick-bootay proggie.
Old 6th January 2001, 10:31   #6
PliotronX

If you're using Win98 or WinME, go to the run dialog and type in "msconfig", and click on the tab which says "startup" on the window that pops up.
PliotronX is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions