Old 21st October 2010, 18:00   #1
olegos

Unable to change genre for my station in DL

Hi, no matter how I change "genre" in my encoder, the DL lists my station as DANCE

How to change this?

Thanks!
olegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 19:17   #2
dotme

Make sure when you change genre info that you KICK the encoder and reconnect it.

The kick forces a YP removal and resubmission, which usually takes care of it. Allow an hour or so after making the change for it to appear on the YP.
dotme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 18:56   #3
olegos

Done this and it took just a few seconds to re-appear again.

Is this correct or it means that it did not "kick" properly?

Thanks!
Old 25th October 2010, 20:03   #4
olegos

Waited for 1 hour. Unfortunately nothing has changed. Same as it was - "Dance"
Old 25th October 2010, 22:22   #5
dotme

Hmmm. Well, first make sure the new genre appears on the DNAS status page (your IP : Port)

Next, be sure you are using approved Genres (Look on the www.shoutcast.com website for the genre listings)

Other than that, I'm not sure why it wouldn't be working for you - but it's possible that things are slow to update today as well...
dotme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 22:40   #6
olegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotme View Post
Hmmm. Well, first make sure the new genre appears on the DNAS status page (your IP : Port)

Next, be sure you are using approved Genres (Look on the www.shoutcast.com website for the genre listings)

Other than that, I'm not sure why it wouldn't be working for you - but it's possible that things are slow to update today as well...
Yes DNAS page displays my genres correctly.

Should I be able to use multiple genres tags or ONLY ONE genre from the approved list? (presently I have 3+ genres specified because I match all of them)

Thank You!

Last edited by olegos; 26th October 2010 at 00:14.
Old 23rd November 2010, 18:45   #7
olegos

Am I allowed to use multiple genres into my encoder?

For example if I enter:
Top 40, Dance, HOUSE, European, POP, TRANCE, ELECTRO, LOUNGE, R&B, 80s,

Will it work or there is a limit?
Old 23rd November 2010, 19:30   #8
DrO

it should take what you put in the string though if it's not a supported value from what is listed in http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=303241 if you're connecting to the YP then you will probably run into issues (plus i'm not sure if it's even meant to take multiple genres - seems a bit conflicting to do support something like that so i've a feeling it probably won't work).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2010, 19:38   #9
olegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
it should take what you put in the string though if it's not a supported value from what is listed in http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=303241 if you're connecting to the YP then you will probably run into issues (plus i'm not sure if it's even meant to take multiple genres - seems a bit conflicting to do support something like that so i've a feeling it probably won't work).

-daz
Thanks Daz, I wrote email to dev team requesting to provide some details on the proper functionality...

"1. WHAT IS THE PROPER WAY OF ENTERING GENRES INTO THE ENCODER?
(with spaces or without, with comas or without, could you give an example please...)

2. Are we allowed to input multiple genres into encoder?
If yes, what would be considered as primary by YP?"
Old 22nd December 2010, 18:30   #10
olegos

Anyone please?
Old 22nd December 2010, 22:39   #11
DrO

will reply with an answer tomorrow once i've checked things out for you (had slipped my long todo list, sorry).

-daz
Old 22nd December 2010, 22:51   #12
olegos

Thanks Daz!
Old 23rd December 2010, 16:42   #13
DrO

i've just tried it using a v2 DNAS setup and v2.1.1 of the Source DSP and the setting in the DSP is ignored when using a v2 style connection and what was setup for the stream via http://www.shoutcast.com/my-stations is used instead which basically means a main and secondary genre and that's it with no control from the source.

everything else seems to point to spaces or commas working for multiple genres with older v1 setups which shows in the 'tags' when you mouse over an entry in the SHOUTcast listing though my connection to the YP is acting a bit funky today (not connecting or just holding onto the cached version) so i cannot test things out much more at the moment. did seem that the middle of three tags was used as the genre (haven't been able to get a connection to update with only 2 genres at the moment).

[edit] - just managed to get a two field v1 connection working and that used the first part as the indicated genre though i'm not sure if that is reliable.

so really depends on what DNAS version you're using it seems as to how many genres you can specify though seems like only one many category will be used even if multiple are specified.

-daz
Old 30th December 2010, 17:35   #14
olegos

Thanks Daz.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support

Tags
genre change dl directory