MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
O ye of little faith.

Winamp 5.9 will be released soon,
after 3+ years of refactoring,
which included a covid-lockdown hiatus period inbetween two different sets of devs.
i'm a true believer egg.

u know i'm good with bugs, how about making me a beta tester?

has the team looked at wacup for some ideas to copy or include?

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2022, 19:47   #2362
Dr.Flay

Send a message via ICQ to Dr.Flay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr.Flay
For a company expressing regrets that COVID etc. has slowed down the work on Winamp, it seems to have successfully spent a lot of that time focused on stuff that isn't a new player.

The priorities are screwy when so much time and effort over the past few years has gone into making flaky NFT projects, that could have been time spent on developing a media player.
Priority 1) Invest lots of time and effort into creating a way to make money.
Priority 2) Make a new media player that facilitates priority No.1

Personally I think the priorities should be the other way round.
Make a true and valid replacement for Winamp, that can monetise the services it can access.

Do people use Spotify, itunes or other player because of NFTs, or do they use it because of the actual content in the service ?
It certainly isn't because they look nice or appeal to an artistic eye.

Then there is the crafty way this NFT thing is being marketed as a way to support creators.
Uuuuhhhh....?
We already have an excellent way to support people that make music.
It is called buying their albums, singles and real-world physical merchandise and buying tickets to see them perform live.

As an artist I see more value in putting my work in bandcamp, where the priority is music and serving the buying public what they want.
I see real value in real world items connected to music, such as my rodies jacket from the Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon tour in the 70s, worn by the guy that designed all their lighting effects.
I can take the jacket out of the wardrobe and hold it in my hands or even wear it.
I can even (as I did) wear that same jacket at a real Pink Floyd gig, where everyone was jealous.

Compare that to an image of the jacket and the actual jacket not existing but it is called an NFT.

My weekly radio show for nerds and wannabe nerds 15% Extra on Source FM every Friday
Dr.Flay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2022, 19:51   #2363
Myhrddin

Hmm.. If Bandcamp and/or Patreon could be integrated into the new Winamp that could be interesting. I've supported artists on both for audio-based works.

Was just pondering that after reading the previous post by Dr.Flay.
Myhrddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2022, 16:15   #2364
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
O ye of little faith.

Winamp 5.9 will be released soon,
after 3+ years of refactoring,
which included a covid-lockdown hiatus period inbetween two different sets of devs.
I have plenty of faith, but maybe not a lot more time.

I recently turned 71 and I'm still using version 5.666.3516 released Dec 12 2013, occasionally. Version 5.8 is too crippled for my needs.

My condolences for your unfortunate personal issues. Glad to see you're still hanging in there.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.6 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v21H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2022, 18:28   #2365
dynamicradio

Looking forward to it but will add the website is a little slow/buggy
dynamicradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2022, 14:18   #2366
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Thanks for the feedback. Keep it coming :-)

^^ Fond memories of the old Winamp Beta Team.
Would love to revive it somehow...
DJ Egg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2022, 14:33   #2367
NJK
FRISIAN (MOD)

Quote:

^^ Fond memories of the old Winamp Beta Team.
Would love to revive it somehow...
you mean the "class" of members who joined in 2000?
I believe that a lot of them still keep in touch so social media? or spread the word otherwise around.
Some of them lurk around every now and than and perhaps a former aussie Mod might know a few ways being balled and chained didn't stop them from meeting members back in the USA , i might know a way to contact Kaboon and perhaps Mr Jones knows a few?

Each Thursday a new show on Celtica Radio with Darkwave music.

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2022, 15:06   #2368
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Yeah, it was a Beta List with an email address to send bug reports & ideas etc.
and also with access to an ftp server for beta build downloads.

All the mods and devs (past and present, at the time) were on it, including many other forum & irc channel members.

We lost it when AOL shut down the project back in 2013.

Probably just nostalgic wishful thinking on my part, but yeah, those were the days...
Old 1st June 2022, 15:17   #2369
Pawel

Send a message via ICQ to Pawel
Winamp Beta Team and Winamp Translation Team was great. Great adventure
I have very good memories of it. Now, it is all gone

All changes made to Winamp seems to be not good so far. For most users Winamp is dead and there is no return.
New Winamp Website is the worst piece of code I have ever seen...
Winamp is not released almost 10 years! You only share BETA... You only keep promising new version, new mega-hiper-application... and what user gets? NFT shit...
Ehh, is there a hope for Winamp yet?

Indeed, those were the days...
-Pawel
Pawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2022, 20:35   #2370
0x5066

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawel View Post
All changes made to Winamp seems to be not good so far. For most users Winamp is dead and there is no return.
New Winamp Website is the worst piece of code I have ever seen...
Winamp is not released almost 10 years! You only share BETA... You only keep promising new version, new mega-hiper-application... and what user gets? NFT shit...
Ehh, is there a hope for Winamp yet?
and that is exactly what i meant with "and even then, the reputation of winamp is destroyed, i dont think you can salvage it.", and its not unreasonable to doubt anything coming out in regards to winamp if you've been following this whole thing for quite a long time, it's far too late to regain the trust of people, which is unfortunate but its the path you chose to go down to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra
has the team looked at wacup for some ideas to copy or include?
terrible idea, btw, if you still want some sort of rep, i wouldnt do this
0x5066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2022, 04:03   #2371
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:

We lost it when AOL shut down the project back in 2013.

Probably just nostalgic wishful thinking on my part, but yeah, those were the days...
I lurked around for years getting solutions for my issues before I finally joined the forum and started expressing my 2 cents. I will always regret waiting so long before becoming an active member. There was definitely a strong feeling of community between users, mods and devs back before AOL threw in the towel, I miss it.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.6 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v21H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2022, 13:24   #2372
ChocolateAdventurouz

Quote:
Winamp 5 for Windows is still an ongoing project.

[...]
We've now got a whole new development team!!! Yay!

The biggest job of all was to get the Winamp 5 project ported over from old VS2008 to VS2017 (or newer) and building...

The refactoring process is still on the way, but almost complete.

There won't be many new features in the next release, mainly refactoring, bug fixes, 3rd-party lib updates (Lame, libmpg123, libflac, libvorbis, etc.) - the main thing is to get the project building and active again.

[...]
On the one hand, it is great to port the SDK from VS 2008 to VS 2017 (i can finally be a plugin dev, yay) and support the project (even Radionomy doesn't seem to care for Winamp as a media player), but on the other hand, the NFT stuff and Radionomy 'destroying' Winamp doesn't make me feel ready to install the '5.9' version on my system (if it will be released). DrO's project, on the other-other hand, (3 hands? Dang it) doesn't make me feel ready either cuz, of the community and because it is still under Beta/Preview. That forces me to stay on Nullsoft versions.

P.S: Since the 'new Winamp 5' is going to use open-source codecs, I don't see really much of the point to keep the project as Freeware.

That's what I have to say. That's my opinion about things.

Thanks.
ChocolateAdventurouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2022, 14:00   #2373
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Just to reiterate, Winamp6 for Android, iOS & web is a completely different project.

Winamp 5.9 will be the continuation of Winamp for Windows (v2.x, v5.666, v5.8, etc).

There's no NFTs in Winamp for Windows.

But again, I can't guarantee that there won't eventually be e.g. an (optional) Online Services view available in Winamp 5.9.x (not v5.9.0, but a later release) which provides services from Winamp6... for which I don't currently have much details.

And again, I'm part of the Winamp 5.x and Shoutcast DNAS Dev/QA/Support teams, as I have been for many years.
I'm speaking about the good old Winamp that we all know and love, not the brand new/separate Winamp6 product.

Of course, all feedback (whether for Winamp 5.x, Winamp6, or other) is welcome.
Old 3rd June 2022, 17:10   #2374
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0x5066 View Post
terrible idea, btw, if you still want some sort of rep, i wouldnt do this
ad hominem. if you want a good rep, back up your statements with a viable argument.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2022, 20:29   #2375
NJK
FRISIAN (MOD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
ad hominem. if you want a good rep, back up your statements with a viable argument.

don't hold your breath waiting for that.

Each Thursday a new show on Celtica Radio with Darkwave music.

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2022, 10:08   #2376
TimbreWolf

Quote:
Just to reiterate, Winamp6 for Android, iOS & web is a completely different project.

Winamp 5.9 will be the continuation of Winamp for Windows (v2.x, v5.666, v5.8, etc).

There's no NFTs in Winamp for Windows.

But again, I can't guarantee that there won't eventually be e.g. an (optional) Online Services view available in Winamp 5.9.x (not v5.9.0, but a later release) which provides services from Winamp6... for which I don't currently have much details.

And again, I'm part of the Winamp 5.x and Shoutcast DNAS Dev/QA/Support teams, as I have been for many years.
I'm speaking about the good old Winamp that we all know and love, not the brand new/separate Winamp6 product.

Of course, all feedback (whether for Winamp 5.x, Winamp6, or other) is welcome.

This is such great news, thank you!!! Maybe the Android code base can help to provide a pathway towards a Linux compatible version of desktop Winamp in the future. I have been wishing for that for maybe a decade now so that I can finally escape Windows, which is becoming an increasingly urgent priority with the direction Microsoft is going in. But whatever about that, it would be great to breath some life into Winamp again to try to counter the view predominantly found on the internet that Winamp = Winamp 2.
TimbreWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion