Old 30th May 2014, 13:19   #1
Bryon Stout

still getting limit issues

Ugh.

I am still getting limit issues on my server. I am getting really frustrated as this is hurting my ability to grow.

Ive done numerous changes to my OS to allow more open files. I even took somaFM's advice from another thread on certain settings. This morning I woke up to an offline stream of mine. I see this in my error logs. LOTS of them.

2014-05-30 08:25:49 ERROR [MICROSERVER] Could not create signal pipe [Increase the open files (ulimit -n) limit]
Bryon Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2014, 13:30   #2
DrO

there is nothing else to suggest than what you've already done as it is clearly noted in the release thread there are known issues going to high numbers of concurrent listeners (which the steps you've taken can help mitigate against).

as for that error, it's related to what i've said above, though if the limits are correctly set, it really should not be appearing and either points to an issue with allocation of file handle resources on the machine or it's an additional bug in the DNAS.

hopefully when the new SC dev team is setup, they'll be able to sort out the issues and do what i was not able to do with trying to convert the v2 DNAS from it's compatibility over performance design for the networking implementation to work correctly (as that is the essential crux of the issue and goes back to how the v2 DNAS was implemented before i took it on) as well as having the time to focus solely on the DNAS (as i could not and my focus is Winamp nowadays so there is little else i can suggest / do on the matter).

otherwise, add extra DNAS to the stream (with them all given the same authhash so they'll be clustered correctly via the YP) so you've got a better spread of listeners over multiple DNAS or you'll have to try and find a copy of the unsupported v1.x DNAS and use that (along with dealing the issues that changing back from a v2.x to a v1.x stream causes for directory listings).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2014, 13:45   #3
Bryon Stout

300-500 listeners should not be making shoutcast crap out, correct?

im going to show you a print out of all my settings later today
Old 30th May 2014, 13:50   #4
DrO

going above 300 with how the v2 DNAS is coded can lead to what you've getting in the log output. things were done to mitigate against the issue with v2.2.x but due to what the v2 DNAS is fundamentally coded to use, anything above 1024 open file handles for the process (which is ~300-350 concurrent connections to the DNAS) can enter into the unknown on what will and will not work.

providing configs is not going to be help as i do not have the time to look into issues with the DNAS and the only solution is gutting the v2 DNAS's network handling and doing it properly for large numbers of concurrent listeners / performance. and hopefully whoever is taken on to work on the DNAS will be able to do what i could not do and fix the problems with it.

as i'm only replying in the SC parts of the forum where possible since there is no one from the new team yet to do it instead - as my focus (and actual passion) is Winamp.
Old 30th May 2014, 13:57   #5
Bryon Stout

gotcha. well that... sucks.

I specifically bought this machine with thoughts on having a large number of people tuned into it. Getting another machine will be costly.

would setting up a 2nd DNAS on the same machine fix the issue? If the "machine" can handle it but the DNAS cant. Would that work?

Im using centovacast3.0 as an autodj FYI
Old 30th May 2014, 13:57   #6
DrO

just run multiple instances on the same machine and just use different ports for things. it's no more different than a lot of hosting providers do.

[edit]
most of the above post was not there when i replied.
Old 30th May 2014, 13:59   #7
Bryon Stout

hah.. you said exactly what I edited my post to be. Well then I am not that upset if I can do that. Thanks DrO!
Old 30th May 2014, 17:20   #8
Bryon Stout

Question.

SO ill add my new DNAS as a relay and then add it in my .pls file. Is the below example correct way of setting it up?

EXAMPLE:

[playlist]
numberofentries=2

File1=http://xxxxx:PORT
Title1=DEEP HOUSE LOUNGE - [www.deephouselounge.com]
Length1=-1

File2=http://xxxxx:PORT
Title2=DEEP HOUSE LOUNGE - [www.deephouselounge.com]
Length1=-1

With all that said. I should edit my max user to 300? on each DNAS?

Last edited by Bryon Stout; 30th May 2014 at 18:52.
Old 8th June 2014, 09:00   #9
perfectlemon

Here's a message posted by DrO somewhere else:

"If you have the DNAS correctly grouped (same authhash used) and they are publically listed, then if one gets to capacity, it will pass on listeners to other DNAS within the group until the listener gets a valid DNAS (assuming that there is one which has free capacity).

And you should always be using DNS entries for the DNAS (configured via destip) as that makes life far easier if you need to add / change servers around instead of going with IP specific urls (which have not been the recommended way to do things for years now). It also makes things far better for the listeners - which all to often seems to be forgotten about by a lot of stations."
perfectlemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2014, 04:21   #10
Bryon Stout

Yea. That post he made was in reply to my post on centovacast forum
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support