Old 9th October 2012, 12:12   #1
josesilva1983

Should I pay 80 euros ??

i would like to know opinions about to pay 80 euros for a plugin to listen youtube by add url on winamp. i asked around some programers and one says he can make this plugin for 80 euros

what do you think i should do ?

waiting for somebody do that for free and post the plugin ? or pay? please i need advise.

tanks every one

sorry for my bad english writting
Old 10th October 2012, 03:53   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi,

IMO, if you need it and can afford it, I say pay the person (part up front and balance on delivery of a working plug-in).

Seems expensive to me, but what is it's value to you. Maybe you can get the programmer to come down some on the price.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Old 10th October 2012, 19:29   #3
josesilva1983

yes it is expensive for me i could go maximum 40 euros, but he says for that price he don t do it, because he says there is a lot of work to do.

i don t have any knowlege about programing, do you think i could do it ? maybe winamp can make sincronization stream thruth a flash player? what do you think ?
Old 10th October 2012, 20:30   #4
pjn123
Major Dude

Don't know what you need really but I think with the MiniTube plugin you can play your files and see the youtube video in sync (no sound from youtube source). And if you want to create a playlist of songs on youtube you can create your own playlist on the site itself.

But if you want to stream just the sound from youtube I guess thats not 100% legal but you can still download the MP3's or videos to your pc by using browser extensions for Opera, Chrome or FF.

ClassicPro© v2.01 : This plugin allows you to use cPro skins in Winamp. ClassicPro skins are all SUI skins and loads very quickly. ClassicPro skins is even easier to skin than Winamp Classic skins. A new layout have been added since version 2.
Download ClassicPro© ==== cPro Skins ==== ClassicPro© Homepage ==== SC Forums
Old 10th October 2012, 21:46   #5
josesilva1983

tks for helping, minitube is not what i m lookingo for. funny is i belive donwload from youtube was ilegal and not streaming just the sound....
the first things i want is legal, so if downloading from youtube is legal, is there a plugin for winamp, can make the download directly just by adding a url adress from youtube ?

tks again for the help.
Old 11th October 2012, 00:27   #6
Aminifu
Forum King

I don't know of a plug-in, but the basic, free version of YTD Video Downloader works just fine for me.

http://www.youtubedownloadersite.com/

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Old 11th October 2012, 10:09   #7
josesilva1983

it is fine yes, but what i really need is a kind of conection between YTD or other youtubedoanwloder with winamp, to download automaticly. any ideias to make this happen ?
Old 11th October 2012, 13:04   #8
arjun_kumar

hey josesilva1983 - if you dont mind can you put me touch with some of these developers your talking to? I am looking to get some pluins developed too... thanks
Old 11th October 2012, 20:53   #9
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
www.audiothief.com

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
Old 13th October 2012, 11:08   #10
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
i would like to know opinions about to pay 80 euros for a plugin to listen youtube by add url on winamp.
Are you gonna get a reach around afterwards?
Old 14th October 2012, 15:50   #11
josesilva1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockouthippie View Post
Are you gonna get a reach around afterwards?
sorry what do you mean ?
Old 14th October 2012, 15:53   #12
josesilva1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjun_kumar View Post
hey josesilva1983 - if you dont mind can you put me touch with some of these developers your talking to? I am looking to get some pluins developed too... thanks
do you what email or fone number ? i m from Portugal (where donwload are legal )
Old 14th October 2012, 16:28   #13
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by josesilva1983 View Post
sorry what do you mean ?
Please excuse rockouthippie. He's not a bad guy. That was just his colorful way of saying that at 80 euros you would be being taken advantage of.

Old 16th October 2012, 14:23   #14
josesilva1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Please excuse rockouthippie. He's not a bad guy. That was just his colorful way of saying that at 80 euros you would be being taken advantage of.
haa.. ok no problem tks for advice rockouthippie. maybe i will do that. if i do i will post here the plugin to everyone enjoy.
Old 26th October 2012, 03:18   #15
Xennex

If I was that programmer I would probably suggest you ask around to see if anyone else is interested.

Some programmers do job-based programming on the term that they retain the ownership/copyright of the work, so they can afterward sell it to other parties as well.

80 euro for a plugin is probably not that much in terms of work required. But if you can find 7 others, it is getting plenty cheap.

I guess you want to load playlists with youtube clips and then play the list as you would an album on your local disk? Youtube is going to want you to listen / view ads as well. It would most definitely break their ToS. But if it's just a plugin for you, no one will notice.

I don't really see the benefit of doing that without video though. I guess it saves the work of having to download those clips manually.
Old 27th October 2012, 08:36   #16
bienleanhhung

it is expensive for me i could go maximum 40 euros, but he says for that price he don t do it, because he says there is a lot of work to do.
Old 27th October 2012, 10:09   #17
DrO

€80 is cheap for software development - so just think about how much it would have cost for all of the crazy people spending hours upon hours doing free plug-ins (e.g. if i'd expected to be able to live on donations from my plug-ins then i'd have died of starvation in early 2004 - i only got into plug-in development properly in mid-2003). this is one of the main reasons people aren't developing Winamp plug-ins since there's just no financial interest for people to do it (if there ever really was) and because users expect everything to be free like the player *shrugs*

-daz
Old 27th October 2012, 10:16   #18
MrSinatra
Forum King

interesting.

perhaps winamp itself should consider "revenue sharing" where Devs are paid a percentage of winamp profits based on amount of downloads for their plugin.

given how popular your plugins are, you would prob get a fair amount of income from that, if winamp were to be fair about it.

personally, i think winamp should be free, no pro version, and the droid app be cheaper, say 1.99

use advertising and other methods to generate revenue, and then spread some of it around to devs like yourself to extend capabilities, as that should build interest around winamp.

19.99 for a pro ver is like trying to get blood from a stone, and its double hard since very few plugins are actively developed anymore. the idea should be, how do we turn that around?

--
Old 27th October 2012, 10:30   #19
DrO

i see what you mean but for me i don't care about the income from my plug-ins - if i did then i a) would never have made so many and b) they would be pushed down people's throats at every opportunity (which i don't do and with other things going on is why i don't even have a link to them in my signature anymore let alone putting them up on the main site). plus in my current capacity i'm remunerated in a good manner (only downside is it means i don't have the time to work on plug-ins which is ironic).

but ad revenue sharing would just be a horrible situation to get setup and manage and i just don't ever see that happening (just wouldn't fit with the corporate side of things). i see why you say it but historically plug-ins are expected to be free and that's why things have gotten the way they have (plus how many times can you make a plug-in that logs now playing info to a text file...).

and no one wants ads, look at the grief that comes from the ones in the online views (yes i know there's all the things that they shouldn't be there for pro users, etc), sticking it in more places would more likely lower the number of people wanting to use it and just promote people making shockingly crap plug-ins to get $$$ without caring for users. i know what you mean and in an ideal world if it could be done then it would work but alas that's not how it would go i believe.

times have changed so much from when Winamp appeared to what is now and for us long-time users it probably annoying, for new users it seems confusing but that's just Winamp and really i don't see things getting back to the 'peak' years (would love to be proved wrong but i don't see anything to indicate that).

-daz
Old 27th October 2012, 12:19   #20
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
times have changed so much from when Winamp appeared to what is now and for us long-time users it probably annoying, for new users it seems confusing but that's just Winamp and really i don't see things getting back to the 'peak' years (would love to be proved wrong but i don't see anything to indicate that).

-daz
As a 15 year user, not so much annoying, imo. I like many of the official upgrades that have been made. 3rd party development is much less exciting it some ways, but also less crap to waste time with. What I find sad is this time will probably become the 'good ole days' for new users.

Love your new signature.

Old 27th October 2012, 12:46   #21
Xennex

Perhaps I'm just the odd guy, but for things that 'ought to be free' I like to donate.

If Winamp was totally free I would probably donate $10. If I get everything set up the way I want to and it works really well for me, I will probably get the pro version for $20, but not for any of the features, rather, to give support. It's a lot of money though.

I like to deal out bits of money here and there but usually this is not possible. WinRAR costs $30 and I'm never gonna pay that for a simple tool like that. If I could donate, I'd donate $6 and then crack the software.

But I guess it's hard to get donations for stuff like plugins. A plugin is usually such a small thing (from a user perspective) that people just cba with it.

I once donated like $3 to a Go tutorial on the web. The guy mailed me and said I was the first one to donate in 4 years ;-). Something like that :P.

Donations is a different model from selling. Selling is a trade, but donating is a gift that is free on both sides. You get free music. You give free money to the artist. Doesn't exist really.

It should be easier to donate small bits of money. $1, $2 or $3 should be possible at the click of a few buttons. There's security hazards with that, but its really important that something like that come into existence some day.
Old 27th October 2012, 14:29   #22
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xennex View Post
It should be easier to donate small bits of money. $1, $2 or $3 should be possible at the click of a few buttons. There's security hazards with that, but its really important that something like that come into existence some day.
DrO has (or had?) a link to PayPal on his website for donations. But even PayPal has had problems with crooks attacking it. The structure of the current internet makes it impossible to keep the bad guys out. It will take a completely new internet to be really secure and that will take a long time to introduce, if ever (who's gonna pay for it).

Old 27th October 2012, 16:16   #23
Xennex

I know, right.

I think any system that allows easy payments will get abused till its broken and dysfunct and part of history once more.

But I sure would like it. Some authenticator device that gives out codes that are valid for a 30 second window for a single payment of $1 or €1 to $5.

I mean, Apple and Google and now Microsoft have app markets that do this crap right.
Old 29th October 2012, 11:29   #24
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
but ad revenue sharing would just be a horrible situation to get setup and manage and i just don't ever see that happening (just wouldn't fit with the corporate side of things). i see why you say it but historically plug-ins are expected to be free and that's why things have gotten the way they have (plus how many times can you make a plug-in that logs now playing info to a text file...).

and no one wants ads, look at the grief that comes from the ones in the online views (yes i know there's all the things that they shouldn't be there for pro users, etc), sticking it in more places would more likely lower the number of people wanting to use it and just promote people making shockingly crap plug-ins to get $$$ without caring for users. i know what you mean and in an ideal world if it could be done then it would work but alas that's not how it would go i believe.
just to be clear, i didn't mean advertising in the app, but rather the websites and maybe injected in shoutcast streams, etc... i would not oppose the DNAS forcing a 15 second ad to play every time someone starts the stream. or at least, if the stream is started via the shoutcast site.

i still think a social networking site that integrates winamp and users with the site, think orgler on steroids, would be a smart bet. let people browse each others collections, that kind of thing. i'd also like to see winamp partner with facebook or android etc, so its just part of the base thing. tivo might not survive if it can't become the de facto dvr box for a major cable system. i'd hate to see winamp die b/c windows is dying or b/c its not the de facto player for windows. (and no, i don't want to see it owned by microsoft! talking more partnership here, altho i realize they'd never do it)

anyway, i'd love to see winamp hardware, thats self contained and tied to a website that then lets users interact. and i'd also like to see a percentage of after tax profits split among the 3rd party plugin devs. i don't think it would be so hard to establish, since its time anyway to start a new collection of plugins that are actually verified to work with the latest winamp. u could also include a nominal fee, like .99, to download the plugin, kinda like the in-app store the droid winamp does.

while i love winamp, i just find it frustrating that there does not appear to be a cohesive big vision plan, or at least a sensical one. i still am fairly amazed that winamp doesn't have its own inhouse droid remote control, so i can control a PC winamp from a droid, or that it doesn't have DLNA built into the pc version, since i could then use winamp to power any DLNA media adapters in the house.

it is good that there is now a droid winamp, and a mac one for that matter, but i'd like to see more than just getting by, i'd like to see a full vision, a full implementation.

--
Old 29th October 2012, 11:38   #25
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
just to be clear, i didn't mean advertising in the app, but rather the websites and maybe injected in shoutcast streams, etc... i would not oppose the DNAS forcing a 15 second ad to play every time someone starts the stream. or at least, if the stream is started via the shoutcast site.
there are already ad pre-rolls before streams play via the site / in-Winamp after a given number of plays (which is only for US users and has not gone down well). as for putting something like that in the DNAS, most stations would just leave due to that. i see fully where you're coming from but there's a limit to what can be done before it pisses people off (and what was done with the ad pre-roll did just that).

-daz
Old 29th October 2012, 11:43   #26
MrSinatra
Forum King

sure, i understand, but how long were the ads? at a certain point, 15 seconds, 7 seconds, etc... how much can they actually complain? i would let it on my station, (altho i might need to figure out if i'd be allowed, since its a non-profit), but what i am suggesting is that if you create a large enough network, like via a social site, you can generate revenue in ways more effective than a dubious frankly "pro version" or whatnot.

anyway, i'm just thinking out loud more than anything else, i realize your take is the reality.

--
Old 2nd November 2012, 20:01   #27
Xennex

That's my impression as well... Winamp is a dying brand in this world where only the big players survive.

The problem today, but also the challenge, for small players is that the amount of functionality needed these days can only be funded by really big companies. For example, Amazon.com (the real one) is much better and much more fully featured than Bol.com (the Dutch Amazon). Bol.com has very meager catalog information available. If you need any detailed information, or expect there to be a decent number of reviews (or any at all) you need to go to Amazon anyway.

The only way small players can survive in this environment is if they would team up with their competitors and create a platform organization that does the interconnectivity and interface development (interface from a programming perspective, like the API system all programs would have in common). The API organization would be non-profit, funded by the competitors, even manned by the competitors, and revenue streams would be directed by the system straight to the participant companies, thereby not granting any power status to the top of the pyramid. Competitors would need to agree that they are not competing in the strongest sense, and would need to find niche differentiation such that every player has its own target audience and tries to excel in the specific domain it is specializing in (which can be language, or geographical domain).

That's the only way rich software development can be done these days by anything that is not a huge corporation.

Of course such a platform would tend to be cross-domain: it wouldn't be just a platform of software audio player companies, but also of independent DLNA hardware manufacturers (for example), or portable mp3 player devices, or whatever.

These platforms exist today like DLNA/UPnP but I believe they are of a different 'tonality', because they are controlled by the big corporations that are using it mostly to gain competitive advantage over the others. They share specs, but not technology. They provide the bare minimum to ensure inter-operability, but don't develop any infrastructure technology that is available to all.

The platform I would propose (or that I'm trying to envision) would be hierarchical in the sense of clustering smaller groups of companies that have chosen to self-organize by themselves. It wouldn't be a monolithic platform, every participant is there out of voluntary decision and can leave whenever they want, but because of the hierarchy it is much more likely that a cluster would choose to leave as a whole, because the companies that make up the clusters have more in common between themselves; the more down to the grass roots you get, the stronger are the ties, and because of that; the power is not at the top, but at the bottom.

But this is a pretty strange idea in this world.
Old 2nd November 2012, 21:24   #28
Xennex

For example Winamp could team up with MusicBrainz to ensure that files taged and named with MusicBrainz Picard play in Winamp to the best of standards.

Currently, given this example, there are the following problems:

- MusicBrainz likes to tag multi-disc albums with the same album name but differentiates with disc#. In Winamp, these multi-discs are going to show up as a single entity, and will be queued in its entirety.

- MusicBrainz puts "featured artist" information in the artist tag. Since these albums will not have the same featured artist on every track, Picard then adds the artist field to the filename, when all you want (what you prefer) is to not have any artist part in the filename, and when it does show up, for it to be consistent.

Imagine this folder:

Quote:
01 - All That You Give (feat. Fontella Bass).flac
02 - Burn Out.flac
03 - Flite.flac
04 - Evolution (feat. Fontella Bass).flac
05 - Man With The Movie Camera.flac
06 - All Things To All Men (feat. Roots Manuva).flac
07 - Everyday.flac
08 - Oregon.flac
09 - Horizon (feat. Niara Scarlett).flac
That's pretty decent. MusicBrainz turns it into this:

Quote:
00 - Every Day.m3u
01 - The Cinematic Orchestra feat. Fontella Bass - All That You Give.flac
02 - The Cinematic Orchestra - Burn Out.flac
03 - The Cinematic Orchestra - Flite.flac
04 - The Cinematic Orchestra feat. Fontella Bass - Evolution.flac
05 - The Cinematic Orchestra - Man With the Movie Camera.flac
06 - The Cinematic Orchestra feat. Roots Manuva - All Things to All Men.flac
07 - The Cinematic Orchestra - Everyday.flac
08 - The Cinematic Orchestra - Oregon.flac
09 - The Cinematic Orchestra feat. Niara Scarlett - Horizon.flac
Now you can skip this file renaming step, so that's not the biggest problem, or better said, it is a Picard problem. Winamp doesn't care about that anyway. But Picard DOES put that information in the artist tag.

Meaning, in Winamp it will look like this:

For a reason that is unknown to me, the album track list gets sorted by Artist, which means the album gets queued out of order. And in any case, it looks ugly in the playlist even if it is sorted.

So if Winamp and MusicBrainz would team up, at least issues like that could be sorted.

That's all I'm saying.
Old 12th November 2012, 16:20   #29
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Xennex,

Winamp already provides options that let you customize how things look in the playlist editor (on the right side), if your songs have proper metadata tags. Tags for your song files formats that support them can be setup with Winamp's tag editor or any 3rd party tagger.

The media library's tag editor will let you associate tags with song files whose formats do not support tags. In this case, you will also need to enable the option to "Use Library title information for Playlist Item Formatting". This option is on the General Preferences - Media Library - Local Media - Options tab.

After your files are tagged, use the General Preferences - Playlist option to disable showing playlist item numbers in the playlist editor. Then use the General Preferences - Titles option to make an advanced title formatting string. Something like, "%tracknumber%. %title% - %artist%".

After listing the songs from an album in the playlist editor, right click on the "MISC" button at the bottom of the playlist editor window (second from the right) and select the sort by title command to arrange the listing by song track number.

If you want to list tracks from more than 1 album, then using an ATF string like "%album% %tracknumber%. - %title%" would keep the songs from each album separate and arranged by song track number.

You can even change the font and/or font size of the playlist items to make long strings fit better in the available window space.

Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion