Old 8th November 2013, 05:13   #1
Xennex

Multi disc albums - what do you do?

I am using MusicBrainz Picard currently as my tagger.

It can produce filenames such as "2-03 title.mp3" where "2" is the disc number and "03" is the track number on that disc. The disc number is put in a tag and not in the album title.

Subsequently, this album shows up in Winamp as a single unit. Should you select it for playback, all tracks from all discs will be cued (in the correct order).

Squeezebox players do the same: all tracks from all discs are simply cued in the correct order.

In the era of physical discs however you would often select a single disc for playback and since each disc typically lasts for 40-70 minutes, this would be the default single chunk of listening time you would endure at a time. For instance, you would select the second disc from Nine Inch Nail's The Fragile because you liked that disc better and you were content with the 49 minutes that it played. Very rarely would you cue both discs after one another as a matter of habit.

Now however with this mode of tagging, it is more common or 'handy' to just play all discs, since you can no longer separate them in the user interface.

So what do you do, assuming you use the Winamp Media Library? Do you split your discs manually by putting disc numbers in the album title? Or do you combine them?

Do you feel the user interface should make disc# a useful element?

Do you feel differently about 'bonus discs' or do you treat them the same as regular '2nd' discs?
Xennex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2013, 07:09   #2
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
I have a SB, here's what I do:

1. filenames really don't matter, its all about tags. but I rip basically like this:

..\albumartist\album\artist - ## - title.mp3
or
..\albumartist\album\album - ## - artist - title.mp3
if its a comp.

## = a two digit track number

2. no disc/discnumber tags at all.
3. I put the disc # in the album tag. so if its a two cd set it would be eg:

Physical Graffiti (CD2)

or if its 3 or more:

Box Set (Disc 3)

by putting this into the tag at rip time, it also puts it into the folder structure.

I want one art, and one folder, per each CD. so 5 cd box set = 5 arts, 5 album folders.

4. I put albumartist tags on everything
5. I add comp tags to things I want detected as a comp

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2013, 16:03   #3
Xennex

Right, from a practical point of view that is the most useful. I have been using Picard, which detects multi-disc albums as disc sets. I kinda like the "203 - title.mp3" structure for filenames, but as you say filenames are not that relevant anymore. Picard can easily split the files into separate folders, but it can't normally easily add differentiating "(disc #)" to the album title.
Old 8th November 2013, 16:16   #4
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
I avoid picard and musicbrainz like the plague b/c it puts in proprietary tags that attempt to uniquely identify things, and which override normal tags to SBS for things like how many discs, and so on. I don't like weird tags in my files that I don't want there, and I don't like the way server and some software deals with them. I also want to be able to tag the way I want, I don't want some online DB dictating it to me.

some people think the way I do it for multiple cd sets is ugly. they want only one art, and don't want the album tag "abused" for numbers, but the problem is that their way is not universally supported, mine is, and also I think of things in a one to one ratio, so I want to see it represented that way.

the reason I don't like your filename system is what happens if the tags fail and the files get misplaced? or you need to browse by folder? it also helps autotaggers.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2013, 16:58   #5
Xennex

I don't allow Picard atm to move files around, it just renames them. I have been thinking about my folder structure for a long time now, but I will stick to "/genre/albumartist - title/## - title.ext". (Most of the time I care so little that I actually browse by folder and use m3u files to initiate playback.) Personally I like the idea of unique identification. I don't like the fact that I cannot queue individual discs.

So what I am going to do is to manually go into each multi-disc set and adjust the album title in the tags. I will (again) need to install some software for that. At that point both Winamp and Squeezebox will function fine.

It is not very automated, but I guess it's a compromise. I want my folder structure to remain intelligible and suitable for filesharing programs.

If at some point I will be tempted to run some big automated tagging operation on everything, some files might get displaced. And new folders will get created. So be it...

Also, one pro to your scheme is that sometimes discs have names. That NIN album contains a disc called "Left" and a disc called "Right". Many albums contain a disc called "Bonus". You lose this information if you just use disc#.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion