Old 24th February 2004, 23:17   #1
daKNIGHT

Smile The next Playstation and XBox

The new consoles will be rolling out soon in a few years and i want to know what people think they should have? What is your wishlist for the new systems?
daKNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2004, 23:32   #2
bored154
Major Dude

Location: near mid of CA Posts: not much........ B-Day: August 1st
Send a message via Yahoo to bored154
what next Xbox? anyway... i would like to see an operating system on PS3 i would put winamp on there

Supporting"RE-MOD Bilbo"
.::My SETI::..::My Forums::..::My New Site::..::Winamp IRC::..::My DeviantArt Page::.
bored154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2004, 01:20   #3
sgtfuzzbubble011

I'm waiting patiently for the next Nintendo system. So meh.
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2004, 03:45   #4
Mike H.
Forum Esperantist
(Major Dude)

Send a message via AIM to Mike H.
Even with an operating system you couldn't put Winamp on a PS3 because it doesn't use an Intel/AMD/similar processor. They already have Linux on the PS2 but it doesn't run normal Linux programs. They have to be recompiled for the PS2.
Mike H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2004, 05:51   #5
daKNIGHT

wow, you guys are asking for a lot here. ha i just hope that they are backward compatible with the older games. and that would be nice to have like winamp or some type of media player..no pun intended for the NEXT xbox. i believe that sony will have the best system...
Old 25th February 2004, 07:42   #6
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

By "best system", do you mean it'll have the least grunt of all the systems out there, be pretty much out of date as soon as it hits the street and have a billion and one crappy third party games released for it?

No, I'm not a Sony knocker, I have been a Sony console user for nearly 10 years now and there are some great games out there for them, it's just there are also great games and better systems out there.

I think it will be doubtfull that I'll purchase a PS3 unless is does something really really amazing and I can't see that happening based on past experience.
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2004, 19:06   #7
daKNIGHT

you dont think that the ps3 will be amazing...im so excited about the new systems rite now..and cant wait until i get them, xbox and ps3. i really think it will be amazing, bc of the newer technology and what not. AMAZING. oh and this goes for both microsoft and sony.
Old 25th February 2004, 20:06   #8
LollipopLustKil
Insomniac
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to LollipopLustKil
The only thing I can see happening at the moment would be better graphics. I mean come on, Xbox has brought basically everything together, now Playstation and the next Nintendo system will be copying off of it, it's a no brainer. What else could you see that will be a BIG difference?

Scotty Doesn't Know
LollipopLustKil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2004, 22:21   #9
sgtfuzzbubble011

Graphics aren't everything. Gameplay is what's most important. You could have the most awesome game system ever created, but if the games don't play worth a crap, then your mega system isn't worth anything.
Old 25th February 2004, 22:24   #10
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quite, look at 3DO, it was fucking leaps and bounds ahead of the rest of the field graphically when it was first being touted around, this was the days of Mega Drive/ Genesis, SNES etc etc and there was this new upcoming console featuring photo realistic graphics, amazing.

Shame no one made any games for it, and the ones that did get released were a right pile of toffee.

Result
3D0 > Failed console
3D0 > turned into software development house.
Old 25th February 2004, 22:28   #11
LollipopLustKil
Insomniac
(Forum King)

OK, I didn't mean ONLY Graphics. Gameplay and game speed has to do with it as well.

I mainly meant features. DVD playback, Karoke, hard drive, internet style (Xbox Live was the first), etc. Xbox has most everything.

Scotty Doesn't Know
Old 25th February 2004, 22:30   #12
sgtfuzzbubble011

Why on earth do people want all that extra shit? It's supposed to be a fucking GAMES CONSOLE. As a matter of fact, the Xbox isn't really a game console. It's a computer. I don't even compare it to the PS and GC.
Old 25th February 2004, 22:47   #13
daKNIGHT

xbox is a computer basically, people could hack into its main system and change the whole system up. and ps2 had the first online features, but it was "big" until the xbox had its "live" feature. but yeah, the new systems will base itselves on the power and what it can do...i heard sony will have a huge connection with other appliances and stuff..i just think game systems should stick to only gaming even if it is online play....
Old 25th February 2004, 22:49   #14
LollipopLustKil
Insomniac
(Forum King)

I say it's a console, but then again, that's me. The hard drive is very nice, I never liked memory cards. Internet style, who wouldn't want that on a console? It's every gamers dream to woop some Japanese guy's ass on Halo. DVD, got it from Playstation from their idea of CD playback. Karoke, just a purchaseable addon. Some of it is needed, other, like you said, is extra shit no one would really want. Though it's not added, you have to buy it.

Scotty Doesn't Know
Old 25th February 2004, 23:02   #15
daKNIGHT

the hard drive was the best idea ever for a console bc it just makes it so much easier to save and stuff. haha and i dont think the japanese can play halo...
Old 25th February 2004, 23:49   #16
TechBoy

It's every American guy's dream to whoop a Japanese guy at Tekken or a Korean guy at Starcraft. Internet will only let them kick our asses

Hard drive the best idea ever? You're right, watching Microsoft piss away tons of money on HDs for Xboxs is lovely. The NEXT is rumored to be HD-less, which would be so ironic. If the NEXT doesn't have a HD, Microsoft can't possibly expect the market it bought to support it's next console. They won't like it if it's lacking features they loved on the old one.

To be honest, I can't see how anyone is exited about the next consoles. It's way to early, technology has only minorly improved. Unless you're a total graphics whore, salivating at every extra frame per second, weeping at every anti-aliased edge, you won't be too happy realizing you just spent $400 dollars to play the same shovelware as before.
TechBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2004, 02:30   #17
daKNIGHT

haha, im not that excited about it...im just sayin that it will be exciting when all three consoles come out and duke it out. yeah, i heard the same thing about the HD and it would be horrible if they dont implement the thing in it.
Old 26th February 2004, 04:32   #18
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to EfaustuS9 Send a message via AIM to EfaustuS9 Send a message via Yahoo to EfaustuS9
Sony has stated that PS3 will be backward compatible with both PS2 and PSONE games and it will use the IBM CELL processor (it will also contain the PS2 and PSONE CPU's). Microsoft has not stipulated weather the Next Xbox will be backward compatible. Oddly enough The NEXT XboX will use a version of IBM's G5 in its next console (processor found in apple's), this will make backward compatibility more difficult bc its using a diff processor (unless it includes the old intel processor). ATI will supply the GPU’s for both the next Xbox and Nintendo system. Both the next Xbox and sony systems will have HD’s included, plus a bunch of other console/computer line blurring features.ETA of next gen in US 2006. Little FYI

EfaustuS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2004, 19:44   #19
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to EfaustuS9 Send a message via AIM to EfaustuS9 Send a message via Yahoo to EfaustuS9
I must amend a portion of my prior statement.

XboX NEXT may not have a HD included:
http://www.gamesindustry******content...e=dev&aid=3033
Old 26th February 2004, 20:31   #20
daKNIGHT

geez, you must be keeping up with all these information about the systems. do you know anything about the psp as well? bc that system i think will be great as a portable ps2 system..
Old 26th February 2004, 20:33   #21
LollipopLustKil
Insomniac
(Forum King)

Pffft, a portable Playstation couldn't be very good at all. Think about it, most of the games take combos and quickness of the fingers, cool graphics, etc. Not for a portable game.

Like putting Tony Hawk on the Gameboy, not a good move.

Scotty Doesn't Know
Old 27th February 2004, 05:44   #22
daKNIGHT

well, i bet the system will be just exactly like a ps controller but with a screen. sony is a smart company, they wouldnt want to mess this up.
Old 27th February 2004, 06:07   #23
xenosomething
Major Dude

http://www.the-magicbox.com/game110403c.htm

its going to flop.....way too expensive.

the gba is like a continuation of the good old snes days, while the psp is like what we have now.......but smaller

.........?.
xenosomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2004, 07:23   #24
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by daKNIGHT
well, i bet the system will be just exactly like a ps controller but with a screen. sony is a smart company, they wouldnt want to mess this up.
That's the worst suggestion I've ever heard, the PSP won't be very portable if it's shaped like a lumpy bumpy PS controller, imagine trying to tuck that into your jacket pocket.

There are some designs around somewhere, look on lik-sang.com, it looks like a highly polished spectacle case.

/edit, didn't see the link back there, yeah those are the same images.

It's also been delayed for launch in Europe/States as well, thus giving Nintendo time to perfect the new DS and storm the handheld market ahead of Sony.
Old 27th February 2004, 08:41   #25
Twilightseer
Frenchoderator

Well, if I get a PS3, I'll do exactly as I did for the PS2 : I'll wait for a year until lousy bugs are fixed before I buy the system. Seriously, I hope PS3 will be a lot better than PS2. Except for fabulous games developed by kick-ass developers (like Square and the FF series), most games are just average on a technical level, and honestly, GC and even XBox fare way better in that field.
Twilightseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2004, 08:49   #26
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

They should come out in 2006 but they will Push it to 2005 because they enjoy losing money

There are rumors microsoft will drop the hard drive in XBox2 and replace it with a permanant flash memory type internal thing. I dont like the idea unless the speed and amount of RAM is over adequate

PS3 has good concepts going for it.

Nintendo has said nothing

XBox2 might not be backwards compatible.

Xbox2 will not be a PC. It will be 64bit I believe running a G5 styled processor. (not a G5 just G5 in concept.) and ATI graphics. Nintendo will also use ATI graphics as well as PS2.

It all depends on the type of game you like. I like Xbox's type of game. Sarge likes Nintendo's type of game.

I'm Back?
whiteflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2004, 08:52   #27
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by Twilightseer
most games are just average on a technical level, and honestly, GC and even XBox fare way better in that field.
Quick 'Sarge, we've nearly got him, you reel him in and I'll get the landing net ready

'Seer is right though, there are some VERY average games on the PS2, and some very shit ones as well, if it wasn't for some of the really hard core developers out there who have produced some great titles, I probably would have ditched mine long ago, but the likes of FF-X, MGS, Wipeout, GTAvc have made me keep it, having said that, there is some new FF goodness coming to the Cube in a week or two, new version of MGS out at the end of march, and F-Zero is more than a match for Wipeout fusion.

In my limited time with the cube, only about 2 months now, I've found the games I have played on it to be a lot better produced and presented than the majority of PS games, don't know if this is down to Nintendos strict quality control, or Sony's lack of one.
Old 27th February 2004, 09:48   #28
Twilightseer
Frenchoderator

@ landing net

In fact, PS2 was the first of the "new generation" (at the time) consoles, so it would have been really odd if XBOX and GC had not outperformed it. I remember seeing the demo of the "Resident Evil" remake on GC in a store and was more than impressed by the graphics
On the other hand, I really like my PS2 and Sony's approach to gaming. And it's very true that the technical side doesn't make everything. Still, the PS2 obviously shows its limits today (though you can hardly say that when you play FFX, the kind of game that alone justifies buying the console ). I'm curious to see what Sony has in store for the future and I really hope for fierce competition
Twilightseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2004, 09:55   #29
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
I remember seeing the demo of the "Resident Evil" remake on GC in a store and was more than impressed by the graphics
Wait 'till you see Resident Evil 4 (exclusive to cube) you will quite litterally soil yourself

/side note, are you playing FF-X2 by any chance yet ?, wanted a hands on review to see if it worth purchasing, or I might just save my cash for FF-Crystal Chronicles...
Old 27th February 2004, 15:06   #30
daKNIGHT

FF-X2 is a good game, i would buy it and i would get the FF-Crystal Chronicles as well...if i had a cube. i got rid of mine a long time ago bc they werent producing anything good. i agree that the system is not a system without the great games. i just think that future games will be more graphical, and that will make it good. the FF series are great no matter what...cant wait for future releases. oh yeah, anything new with resident evil? i played every single resident evil, just love it.
Old 27th February 2004, 15:22   #31
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

I can't find a great deal of info on resi4 at the minute, there was a big chunk of stuff on IGN a while back, screen shots and stuff that would make your jaw drop, but they got yanked for copyright reasons, seems Capcom didn't want the cat letting out of the bag too early, but everyone who has seen it and played a demo of it has come away with a "OMG OMG" type feeling about it, same old rendered backgrounds, done in that lush style that Resi0 and the remake of Resi1 had on the cube, but now no longer static, full 360degree movement and interaction with the scenery.

Cube only though, you might have to go buy one back to play it
Old 27th February 2004, 16:07   #32
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Jones
Gives Nintendo time to perfect the new DS and storm the handheld market ahead of Sony.
Its a bad idear to start with and thus its capacity for prefection is exteremly limited.

Quote:
In fact, PS2 was the first of the "new generation" ....
How quickly we forget Dreamcast.

--------
The most prevalent console is the most desired by production companies, thus the console will be rife with average and sub-par title’s but on average it will have a higher number of quality totals. This it not a new circumstance, the case was the same on the Atari 2600 and the NES. Nintendo was able to greatly reduce the amount of sub-par titles though its licensing innovation which is still in practice today; sell the consoles at meager profit or loss and charge companies to develop games, for your system. This allowed a small degree of discression by Nintendo to ensure some degree of quality (still had plenty of crap in spite of this though), remember the “Nintendo Seal of Quality”. as Nintendos popularity and Power grew they became a bit tyranical with their licencing arrangements fortunatly today there clout is much reduced.

--------
The PSP shouldn't be too expensive.
http://www.us.playstation.com/news.aspx?id=224

Old 27th February 2004, 17:17   #33
xenosomething
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by EfaustuS9
The PSP shouldn't be too expensive.
http://www.us.playstation.com/news.aspx?id=224
http://gameforms.com/news/?1089

.........?.
xenosomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2004, 19:04   #34
Vie
Forum King

Location: Thoron fields and Duranium shadows. Posts: Crap mostly
Consoles mostly suck comapired to there PC counterparts. Ok they on the surface apear cheaper, but they lack endurance.

You can still play new PC games on a 4 year old computer that has been upgraded a fair ammount, try to play a PS2 game on a PSOne.

And when (And god can only hope if) Microbrain build a XCrap II (Hell lets call it the YCrap!) do you think they will have Bacwards compatibility? I doubt it.

Member most in need of SpellCheck Lifetime Achievement Award

I'm a Twitch Streamer these days, it's weird.
Vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2004, 21:00   #35
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

I play console games with other people. Multiplayer is more fun on a console. Consoles don't crash as often as PC's. Consoles are cheaper than PC's. Way Cheaper. Way Way Cheaper. The price to upgrade your Old PC is like the Price of buying a new console if not more. But your PC will probably crash from Hardware conflicts and shitty compatibility issues. There are choices to be made with consoles, you can have a cheap ass ghetto setup or a very expensive Setup.

I have a 27inch tv with an Xbox attached. My friend has a 64inch High Def with an Xbox attached. The PC comes with a monitor which varies between 15-21 inches or so.

Console games are easier to instal. Put disk in. Push buttons on controller. PC games take forever to install. Consoles don't have popups. PC's (if you are a retarded computer user) have many popups that interupt your gaming. Getting online with a console is easier than getting online with a PC. Old consoles can be played forever. Just because they are old doesn't mean you throw them out. Old PC's go into the dumpster.

PC is for work Console is for play.

I'm Back?
Old 27th February 2004, 23:32   #36
sgtfuzzbubble011

Whiteflip has lots of good points, there.^

Quote:
Quick 'Sarge, we've nearly got him, you reel him in and I'll get the landing net ready

Quote:
Quote:
In fact, PS2 was the first of the "new generation" ....
How quickly we forget Dreamcast.
The Dreamcast isn't being produced anymore. You can still go to the store and pick up a brand new PS2, GC, or Xbox... so that's why the DC isn't considered part of the latest generation of consoles.

Quote:
Consoles mostly suck comapired to there PC counterparts. Ok they on the surface apear cheaper, but they lack endurance.
Eh? My NESs play just as well now as they did 18 years ago.
Old 28th February 2004, 08:13   #37
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

I wish I could say the same for my Coleco vision

I'm Back?
Old 28th February 2004, 09:55   #38
karlsen

I will buy the next playstation
karlsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2004, 19:01   #39
cyu
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to cyu Send a message via Yahoo to cyu
A microwave...
cyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2004, 19:59   #40
Vie
Forum King

Location: Thoron fields and Duranium shadows. Posts: Crap mostly
Quote:
Originally posted by whiteflip
I play console games with other people. Multiplayer is more fun on a console. Consoles don't crash as often as PC's. Consoles are cheaper than PC's. Way Cheaper. Way Way Cheaper. The price to upgrade your Old PC is like the Price of buying a new console if not more. But your PC will probably crash from Hardware conflicts and shitty compatibility issues. There are choices to be made with consoles, you can have a cheap ass ghetto setup or a very expensive Setup.

I have a 27inch tv with an Xbox attached. My friend has a 64inch High Def with an Xbox attached. The PC comes with a monitor which varies between 15-21 inches or so.

Console games are easier to instal. Put disk in. Push buttons on controller. PC games take forever to install. Consoles don't have popups. PC's (if you are a retarded computer user) have many popups that interupt your gaming. Getting online with a console is easier than getting online with a PC. Old consoles can be played forever. Just because they are old doesn't mean you throw them out. Old PC's go into the dumpster.

PC is for work Console is for play.
If you get popups when using multyplayer on a PC, you are a moron, either your using IE still (So you deserve everything you get), or you just dont know how to use it properly.

Old consoles get played with by people who should realy get out more, lets face it, sgtfuzzbubble99 is how old? and he colects consoles... ..no offence but that beats almost everything in terms of sad behavyour. There mostly dumped as soon as the next one comes out, or kept untill they get broken.
PC's on the otherhand are for the most part kept for years for the symple reason that they keep working. New computers play new games, and if they have anything other from XP they play old games. But old computers can still play new games, with some provisions of corse.

You cannot play a NES game on a Game Cube, you carnt play a Gamecube game on a NES. There incompatable, the same is true of most consoles, the only exception is the PS2 wich can play PS1 games.

As I said they apear cheaper, but they arnt. Lets look at the Crapbox. Initial cost of £200, or there abouts, cost per game £30 - £50, cost for adon parts (Lets say a remote controle and an extra controler) £40. Thats £320 for a Xbox pluss one game and a couple of bits. Not bad on the wallet compaired to a PC you might think.

BUT WAIT! heres the XCrap 2! with new features, new bugs and copyright protection to prevent the insilation of Linux (The only real reason to by an Xbox anyway). And guess what, it costs £500 for the first week, £450 for the next month and £300 there after.

So, you now have to spend out £300 on a new game system just for the new game, Wich will cost £50, and you will probably need to buy new adons (Wich will be double the price of the old ones for the first year.).

And in 5 years the XBox 3 will be winging its way to the stores, at around £700. But ignoring that, your still spending out more money than on a PC.

Member most in need of SpellCheck Lifetime Achievement Award

I'm a Twitch Streamer these days, it's weird.
Vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Games Center