Old 3rd November 2006, 01:03   #1
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Send a message via Yahoo to Too-DAMN-Much
Talking Nfs - Carbon

has anyone here got it yet?

i did and i ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY L-O-V-E it!
it features (pretty much) all the good stuff from "MW" AND "underground 2" smushed together into one game that totally kicks ass (you'll see what i mean, when you get to autosculpt a classic muscle car, and make the blower stick outta the hood!) i'm only 20% career completion and (i think) less than 15% game completion and i couldn't ask for a better game from EA.

if i had to say anything bad about this game, it's that even my top-o-the-line system gets a measly 11FPS on it and it's completely unplayable if i max out the setting for my video card (from the nvidia controll panel thing) but i'm hoping EA will patch it and make it run a tiny bit faster, as it does seem to have a few other bugs, like that fact that sometime it gets stuck after you press the quit button and the comp needs to be manually rebooted, but that may just be me anyway.

[EDIT] if you have the game please post pics of your MAIN CAR here also

here is mine :

[/EDIT]

I hate everyone, so you don't have to.

Last edited by Too-DAMN-Much; 3rd November 2006 at 02:38.
Too-DAMN-Much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2006, 09:09   #2
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

another attempt at a better hood, and tons of "autosculpting" on this one, dodge charger R/T

Old 5th November 2006, 11:02   #3
Vie
Forum King

Location: Thoron fields and Duranium shadows. Posts: Crap mostly
I was looking at it, but I wont buy it if you cant drive non riced cars. Can you?

Member most in need of SpellCheck Lifetime Achievement Award

I'm a Twitch Streamer these days, it's weird.
Vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2006, 17:38   #4
sgtfuzzbubble011

I think those two pictures answer that question.

I think I might pick up a copy of this, myself...
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2006, 18:46   #5
Vie
Forum King

Just looked up on the carlist, its got Tuners (Ricemobiles, but the Subaru has a place in my heart) Muscle cars (Which never appealed to me) and Exotics, including a Brera and a DB9.

JUST for having those two cars I'm getting it.

Old 6th November 2006, 07:57   #6
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

the next race i complete unlocks the tier 3 lamborghini murcielago

Old 10th November 2006, 09:48   #7
Psichmich

yeah gr8 game...
but i can't drift there it's too hard...
Psichmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2006, 18:05   #8
PAK-9
Major Dude

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Its a fun game, the nfs series are consistently entertaining I find, I've played them since number 2 (I enjoyed porsche unleashed/2000 most of all probably). I think most wanted was superior to carbon however, mainly because:

- the police pursuits were more challenging and therefore significant
- the progression was more linear (there seems to be very little incentive to ever buy a new car; plus depending on the races you attempt its possible to unlock obsolete upgrades)
- It had a certain 'autumnal charm' (to quote eurogamer) wheras carbon has gone back to the cliche'd old neon nightime of underground.

My main other gripes with carbon are:

- The story is as turgid if not more so than the previous titles yet they insist on shoving it down your throat with overacted cutscenes all the time.
- As Too-DAMN-Much pointed out, overly high system req's
- The 'picture in picture' feature that lets you see your opponent sneering, damn that so useful how did I ever get by without it before?
- This is sort of similar to my first point, but the opponents/boss's are so two dimensional. You enter their turf and they 'roll up' on you and throw you an arrogant comment. That happens a few more times until you face them in a race. You roll to the start line, they throw you an arrogant comment. You race, they sneer arrogantly at you through the picture in picture. You win, they give you an arrogant comment and you head for the canyon. They throw you an arrogant comment and you race down the canyon. You win, and before driving off they slip in one last arrogant comment. WE GET IT! THEY ARE ARROGANT. With this sort of heavy handed characterisation you would have thought half life 2 never happened.
- The 'teammate/wingman' idea is so rubbish, it puts twice as many cars in the race which canes the frame rate and you arent really racing against half of them. Plus the roles they play are so unrealistic:
* 'blocker', a guy who smashes his car into opponents to slow them down... er right so he causes thousands of dollars of damage to his car to slow them down for you.
* 'scout', a guy who is capable of staying ahead of you the entire race to show you secret routes...er right so if he is capable of beating everyone who is racing including yourself
why is he your 'wingman' and not out winning all the races for himself? Plus the scout really shows the terribly unrealistic ai, they might crash their car into a wall behind you and 10 seconds later they are 50 metres in front of you, wow, where can I buy THAT car? The police are similarily guilty of being able to 'just' keep up with you regardless of how fast your car is.

I know realism isnt the aim of these types of games but that sort of thing totally shatters the illusion of reality and so makes the game a lot less fun. It feels like the game is just bending around how you are playing.

Having said all of that, its still very entertaining. I just wish it was marketed at a slightly more mature demographic.

http://PAK-9.deviantart.com

...innit
PAK-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2006, 11:21   #9
Vie
Forum King

I got it and I hate it with a passion.

But I play it purly to drive the XK, DB9, Brera, RX7 & 8, Audi LeMans and a couple of other good cars mixed in with the crap.

Old 12th November 2006, 18:22   #10
Psichmich

i'm 33% right now, nice game...
not too interesting, but still a bit nice...
Psichmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2006, 02:35   #11
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

i think it's funny how the murcielago is the best car in MW and carbon, yet not the highest priced...

if you don't believe me, yes i'm sure it's the best, i got a 100% savegame and beefed out all the cars at the end of the list, the 'lago is better statistically, but just barely.

Old 21st November 2006, 05:44   #12
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

I've recently "obtained" a copy to try out; on my 3.4GHz P4 w/1GB RAM and 128MB AMD Mobility Radeon 9700, I get a pathetic 12-17FPS on "medium" quality in 800x600. For me, that framerate along with the low resolution make the game experience nothing short of meh. To make matters worse, for some reason I can't turn the oh-so-essential-for-an-amazing-game-experience motion blur on (NFS:U had no problem w/motion blur; and it ran at 60FPS everything high in 1024x768! ).

I'd probably enjoy the game much more if it didn't run like a slide show on my not-that-old lappy. I don't plan on buying the game anytime soon until some performance improvements are made.

By the way; I'm currently 8% done.

This is a sig of some nature.
Psythik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2006, 10:28   #13
Vie
Forum King

100% here, mostly because I got fed up and used the trainer.

What the hell is the point of having a game with car tuning, if you cant access all tuning parts from the start, with only money as a restriction?

Old 21st November 2006, 15:45   #14
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

Quote:
Originally posted by Psythik
I've recently "obtained" a copy to try out; on my 3.4GHz P4 w/1GB RAM and 128MB AMD Mobility Radeon 9700, I get a pathetic 12-17FPS on "medium" quality in 800x600. For me, that framerate along with the low resolution make the game experience nothing short of meh. To make matters worse, for some reason I can't turn the oh-so-essential-for-an-amazing-game-experience motion blur on (NFS:U had no problem w/motion blur; and it ran at 60FPS everything high in 1024x768! ).

I'd probably enjoy the game much more if it didn't run like a slide show on my not-that-old lappy. I don't plan on buying the game anytime soon until some performance improvements are made.

just remember a mobility 9700 is not a 9700 core at all. its based on a 9600xt (but is in fact slower than an 9600pro)

the mobility x600 is the same core again only clocked slightly faster and pci-e.

don't expect to run anything thats new well.

try playing black and white 2. then you know what slow is(might take you 1/2 hour to go through the intro at anything higher than 640x480 with every effect turned off)
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2006, 03:57   #15
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

The odd thing is that almost every game I've played released up to 2005 ran smoothly in 1280x800 with all graphics settings maxed out (except AA; usually I would put that at 2x). (Examples include HL2, Doom 3, The Movies, SW:KotOR, just to name a few.) It's only the games that I own that were published in '06 that suddenly only run in 800x600 in medium to low quality.

Either game developers suddenly stopped supporting the 9700 and below, or I fried my graphics card; when I first bought Quake 4, I could play it in 1024x768 on "high" settings, now it's barely playable in 640x480 "low". Similar case with the Sims 2: about the time I got the expansion packs, graphics performance significantly dropped and artifacts here and there started to show up (but only in the Sims 2). Maybe there's something I can do to restore performance back to its glory days (I've already formatted my hard drive twice, disabled all visual themes, disabled unnecessary tasks and services, defragged the drive; can't think of much more to do)?

Old 26th November 2006, 04:42   #16
lostempire

Send a message via Yahoo to lostempire
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by PAK-9
Its a fun game, the nfs series are consistently entertaining I find, I've played them since number 2 (I enjoyed porsche unleashed/2000 most of all probably). I think most wanted was superior to carbon however, mainly because:

- the police pursuits were more challenging and therefore significant
- the progression was more linear (there seems to be very little incentive to ever buy a new car; plus depending on the races you attempt its possible to unlock obsolete upgrades)
- It had a certain 'autumnal charm' (to quote eurogamer) wheras carbon has gone back to the cliche'd old neon nightime of underground.

My main other gripes with carbon are:

- The story is as turgid if not more so than the previous titles yet they insist on shoving it down your throat with overacted cutscenes all the time.
- As Too-DAMN-Much pointed out, overly high system req's
- The 'picture in picture' feature that lets you see your opponent sneering, damn that so useful how did I ever get by without it before?
- This is sort of similar to my first point, but the opponents/boss's are so two dimensional. You enter their turf and they 'roll up' on you and throw you an arrogant comment. That happens a few more times until you face them in a race. You roll to the start line, they throw you an arrogant comment. You race, they sneer arrogantly at you through the picture in picture. You win, they give you an arrogant comment and you head for the canyon. They throw you an arrogant comment and you race down the canyon. You win, and before driving off they slip in one last arrogant comment. WE GET IT! THEY ARE ARROGANT. With this sort of heavy handed characterisation you would have thought half life 2 never happened.
- The 'teammate/wingman' idea is so rubbish, it puts twice as many cars in the race which canes the frame rate and you arent really racing against half of them. Plus the roles they play are so unrealistic:
* 'blocker', a guy who smashes his car into opponents to slow them down... er right so he causes thousands of dollars of damage to his car to slow them down for you.
* 'scout', a guy who is capable of staying ahead of you the entire race to show you secret routes...er right so if he is capable of beating everyone who is racing including yourself
why is he your 'wingman' and not out winning all the races for himself? Plus the scout really shows the terribly unrealistic ai, they might crash their car into a wall behind you and 10 seconds later they are 50 metres in front of you, wow, where can I buy THAT car? The police are similarily guilty of being able to 'just' keep up with you regardless of how fast your car is.

I know realism isnt the aim of these types of games but that sort of thing totally shatters the illusion of reality and so makes the game a lot less fun. It feels like the game is just bending around how you are playing.

Having said all of that, its still very entertaining. I just wish it was marketed at a slightly more mature demographic.
[Image]
i gotta admit he has a point... why can't it be more real? the only thing i can say about the game is i love the pure shock absorber and slide technique, but what really gets on my nerves is the constant crashing involved in the canyon race against the boss's.
oh another thing i noticed the drafter and the blocker, the so called wingmen (or should i say mixed gender) always gets in the way, slowing down in front of the players car so annoying!!!!

but outta 10 i'll give it a 7
EA GAMES can do better than this!!!
lostempire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2006, 04:50   #17
lostempire

Send a message via Yahoo to lostempire
Quote:
Originally posted by Psythik

well to be on the safe side i haven't had any problems on my computers. i currently use a AMD Sempron class 3 GHz with ATI Radeon 9250 128 mb Graphic card with 512mb ram... frame rates were faster than NFS:MW and coz of that i managed to get to 87% game completion.
my other pc works like a dream for INTEL pentium 4 ht duo core 3.6GHz with 2 gb ram and 512mb nvidia geforce graphic card works on the latest game gears of war.
lostempire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2006, 11:34   #18
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Meh
I tried it yesterday and thought it compared with NFS Underground.
Boring.
I still like PGR3 much, much better.
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2006, 22:12   #19
Sciencer

I agree, PGR3 imho much more interesting.

3.4GHz P4 | 1Gb RAM and FX5200 (!) - works well (NFS C)
Sciencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2006, 03:28   #20
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

ok, if you checked your FPS with a frames per sec tool such as "fraps" or something else like it, then, you are allowed to talk performance, if not, don't, but then again, maybe they've patched it and the slow speed on my comp was just a bug or some shit.

also, what the heck is PGR3?

Old 28th November 2006, 04:30   #21
sgtfuzzbubble011

PGR3 = Project Gotham Racing 3
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2006, 06:18   #22
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by Sciencer
3.4GHz P4 | 1Gb RAM and FX5200 (!) - works well (NFS C)
WTF, my setup is almost the same. My graphics card must be toast, then.

Old 28th November 2006, 06:34   #23
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

i know i know, i've got double the ram of that, and a ge force 5600 GS, possibly double the processing power too

is that system a dual core?

Old 28th November 2006, 12:39   #24
PAK-9
Major Dude

P4 3.0E (Prescott), 1Gb Dual channel DDR333, GeForce 7800GS

The frame rate is not smooth, with lots of other cars on screen I'm pretty sure it drops to single figures (I havent run it with FRAPS or anything but its not that hard to tell).

Its one of the reasons having these 'wingmen' was such a stupid idea; the car models in a racing game are the most computationally expensive object to render, they have the most polygons, highest texture detail, most shader effects, most particle effects of anything on screen. The idea of doubling the number of them for a gimmick as rubbish as 'wingmen' is ridiculous. The only thing I can think to explain it is that they developed primarily for the console systems (which I'm pretty sure they have been doing since 'Underground') and didnt properly optimise/port/recode/whatever for the PC.

...innit
Old 28th November 2006, 17:46   #25
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Update

after applying the latest patch, it now runs about 15-20 fps, which is halfway decent, although it barely ever touches 20 fps, it does hover near 18 most of the time, which i can live with.

Old 29th November 2006, 02:49   #26
Omit Name
mostly harmless
Major Dude

*omit considers posting videos of his cars from midnight club dub, then realises that would connotate effort, he pauses in thought, then suddenly begans to weep hysterically.

ive been playing that game aimlessly for weeks now. your supposed to progress but i just keep racing the fringe races. fun stuff, it can get fustrating though.

Omit Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2006, 13:03   #27
PAK-9
Major Dude

That reminds me of another slight irritation with Carbon:

Two of the most things to do in carbon is escape from the police, and race rival crew members to a random(ish) place in the city. However the only way you can do these things are in the career mode, meaning you have to hunt around and (in the case of police persuits) risk having your car impounded. The inclusion of a free roam mode as a quick race option would have been pretty simple.

...innit
Old 29th November 2006, 14:32   #28
Vie
Forum King

I completely agree on that point.

I just wish there was a NFS moding community still, but its just fallen apart over the years. Shame, NFS3 HP had some really good mods back in the day.

Hell, if EA themselves just added new cars it would be cool, or let you drive some of the Bonus cars in the Carer mode. I want a Lotus Europa damit!

Old 29th November 2006, 18:42   #29
PAK-9
Major Dude

Again, marketed/developed at/for the console market primarily. Making modding tools for the end user enthusiast does not make much sense with console games since there is always the problem of getting modded content onto the console and distributing it to other users. If the game had been developed for the PC primarily we might see more in the way of mod tools (although to be honest, the NFS developers have never hostorically been that interested in their modding community)

...innit
Old 29th November 2006, 21:05   #30
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by Too-DAMN-Much
i know i know, i've got double the ram of that, and a ge force 5600 GS, possibly double the processing power too

is that system a dual core?
Single core actually (I don't think dual-core processors existed back when I got my lappy in Jul of '04). It's an old-school 3.4GHz Pent4 w/HT. Runs so damn hot because it's a literally desktop processor thrown inside a laptop.

I'm gonna try the latest patch and see if maybe I'll be able to bump the resolution to 1024x768 while keeping the game playable.

Old 8th January 2007, 21:11   #31
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

I can't uninstall the damn game; I get the following dialog:
Quote:
---------------------------
EAUninstall.exe - Unable To Locate Component
This application has failed to start because EAInstall.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.
OK
I checked the game folder and EAInstall.dll clearly is in the folder. WTF? Now I've got this stupid game wasting 5+ gigs of space. I'm tempted to just delete the game folder.

Old 9th January 2007, 00:46   #32
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

that's actually not a bad way to do it if you follow up with a tool like registry mechanic also.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Games Center