Old 18th September 2012, 20:11   #1
Talonos

"Mood" Tag not appearing

I used to categorize my music using the "mood" tag in Windows Media player. When I made the informed decision to switch to Winamp, I can no longer view the "Mood" metadata. It does not appear in the "customize columns" screen when I right click on the column headings. Nor does it appear in the "View file info" when I right click on a song. When I right-click the file in windows explorer and select properties, I see the "mood" field, and it still contains my data.

According to here, the mood field is in ID3v2.4 and WM only. Does Winamp just not support these? Is there a plugin or something I can download?

Thanks for the info. I look forward to overcoming the growing pains so I can finally escape the tyrannic grasp of Media Player.
Talonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2012, 20:26   #2
DrO

mood is not supported in the library options. the library and most of the native dialogs only show what is covered by the ID3v1.x spec (which covers most key things people want) and tags which are generally shared across the other main tagging formats. so as you're finding, mood is not covered as one of those and unless the core code is changed to provide it, mood is not going to appear either as the ID3v2.4 tag or as a custom ID3v2.3 (as i'm aware other players have been known to use) and a plug-in isn't really going to help.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2012, 20:29   #3
Talonos

Thank you for the information.

So, in other words, the only way to maintain my music categorization is to transfer the contents of my mood tag to another tag Winamp does recognize, such as the comments tag, using some sort of mass tagging program, am I correct? Are there any programs you know of offhand that would allow me to do so?
Old 18th September 2012, 20:39   #4
DrO

mp3tag comes to mind for doing that.

-daz
Old 18th September 2012, 20:43   #5
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talonos View Post
Thank you for the information.

So, in other words, the only way to maintain my music categorization is to transfer the contents of my mood tag to another tag Winamp does recognize, such as the comments tag, using some sort of mass tagging program, am I correct? Are there any programs you know of offhand that would allow me to do so?
do you use the genre tag?

and do you set more than one value for mood?

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2012, 20:49   #6
Talonos

I do not use the Genre tag, and I do not use more than one tag for mood. What do you have in mind, Mr. Sinatra?

I will look at MP3tag immediately. Thanks, Dr. O.
Old 18th September 2012, 20:56   #7
DrO

i think he's going to suggest you use genre to store the mood (as ID3v2.x allows for custom genres which would work with whatever you're probably set for the mood tag).

-daz
Old 18th September 2012, 21:25   #8
Talonos

Okay, I am angry.

MP3tag was not working, so I opened up my MP3s in a text editor, and found that my mood tags weren't even in my mp3 files. I did a little digging...

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.dalepreston.com/Blog/2007/03/windows-media-player-metadata-backup.html
The other place where Windows Media Player stores information about your music files is in the Windows Media Player library database. There is a copy of the database for each user that logs into your PC and runs Windows Media Player. This database does not include the actual media but only metadata about the media - data like album name, artist name, when it was added to your library, etc.
Stupid Microsoft. My tags are wrapped up in Microsoft's proprietary database format, and unless I stick with Microsoft, there's probably no way to retrieve them.

That makes me angry enough to re-tag my music just to escape.
Old 19th September 2012, 01:17   #9
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
DrO read my mind. that is what i was going to suggest.

yes, free yourself from apps by storing the info in universally supported tags, like genre.

maybe you can find a way to sort your mood info and figure out how to replicate that sort in mp3tag. i bet someone else has had this issue and posted on the net about it.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2012, 04:34   #10
ryerman
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talonos View Post
...Stupid Microsoft. My tags are wrapped up in Microsoft's proprietary database format, and unless I stick with Microsoft, there's probably no way to retrieve them...
MOOD is available as a column heading in the details pane of Windows Explorer. If it is populated by the database involved here (and your 1st post suggests that it is) it is possible to retrieve the values using a script. I do it all the time when tagging album art with artist, album etc., using the GetDetailsOf method.
MOOD is detail #223 on my system.

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2013, 21:50   #11
robert.vienna

I did not find a direct solution: The mood-value in WMP 12 can not be exported.

My Workaround:

I saved all tracks with mood "Chill Out" in WMP as a m3u-Playlist "Chill Out". Then I imported this list in MP3Tag ("open playlist"), deleted what was written in the comments-field and wrote "Chill Out" in the field.

In Winamp I created an own view with "comment = Chill Out".

Same I did for other moods like "Party" etc.

Works.
robert.vienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support