Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Old 26th December 2005, 18:32   #41
Ethan5150

...and furthermore, after reading that post you refered me to, he summed it all up on the last line "I've never had the problem before" - EXACTLY! Maybe you found a "workaround" but the point is there's a problem with the software if it works on one release then doesn't on the next - U]the variable is the Winamp version![/U] - Logic 101 should be sufficient to tell you this! So don't tell me you "solved the problem" because you didn't - the point is; the software is still quirky - and this isn't the only instance of quirkiness I know of - I think anyone can tell you that! Let's get real here...
Ethan5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2005, 18:32   #42
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Either provide the reqired info*, or go away. Whining on isn't going to get you anywhere :/

*Required info
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....d=161361#specs
System specs, Windows OS, CD-ROM make/model, HijackThis log, Winamp version, confirmation of clean install (of 5.12) with no 3rd-party plugins (include a My_Plugin_List.txt log), CD Ripping Settings (Encoder, Ripping, Output File Settings tabs - including Destination Folder & Naming Convention fields), and the EXACT error message!

[Edit]

Re: your last post... nope, you're still wrong :/
I've got Creative's stupid CDROM Access service installed (my main soundcard is a M-Audio Revo 7.1, but my 2nd soundcard is a Creative Audigy 2), and I don't have ANY problems whatsoever. And seeing as Creative Audigy is probably the most popular used soundcard globally, and therefore probably used by thousands of Winamp users, but only one person has posted a problem with it... etc etc bleh blah
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2005, 18:33   #43
Ethan5150

sorry...I've got just enough time to whine...not enough to give you full system specs, logs, etc. - I'm out.
Ethan5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2005, 18:36   #44
quewoulderniedo

All we are saying... is give peace a chance...
quewoulderniedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2005, 18:43   #45
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

I absolutely agree with you, quewoulderniedo

Trolls are not welcome here, so byebye Ethan5150.
You can post in the Bitchlist or Recycle Bin if you want, but you're now blocked from posting anywhere else (to save you from wasting anyone else's time, heh) :/

(I'll give you a few minutes to read this post before applying the changes).
Old 27th December 2005, 01:28   #46
quewoulderniedo

Thanks again, DJ. I'm back to ripping LAME VBR 360kbps "Very High" quality MP3s at the pace of geriatric turtle sexx again. (quality takes time...)
quewoulderniedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2006, 00:24   #47
theo2520

Calmate, amigos.

The reason the problem could not be recreated is likely in the CD he is attempting to rip. The information CDDB provides for some CDs includes information that can't work with Windows, either due to the filename being too long or due to forbidden characters. Try right-clicking inside the CD track listing box, clicking on "edit CD info," and then shortening the Album or Artist Name box and making sure none of the characters included there or in the track names are forbidden (for Windows, \/:*?<>|). If this doesn't clear it up, take a chill pill and move on to the next CD to see if the fault is really in the CD or in the CD ripper. Move on from there, and sincerely seek help, including providing the information requested when you have more time.
theo2520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2006, 00:27   #48
theo2520

Oh, and seek open-source when possible, dev is a bit slow at times but the ability to work on the logic inside path-creators is invaluable at times like this! (i.e., telling winamp to disregard invalid characters or shorten paths)
theo2520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2006, 02:20   #49
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Winamp actually replaces illegal characters \ / : * ? < > | with underscores.
Old 12th October 2006, 06:54   #50
Tennyo

Send a message via ICQ to Tennyo Send a message via AIM to Tennyo
I'm having the same problem with this error, I've used Winamp to rip a number of my CDs over the past year and I've never had this problem until now. I recently formatted my hard drive to give my computer a fresh start, I had my WinampPro with a valid registration key saved on a cd and reinstalled them, upgraded them to the newest Winamp they have now (5.3) and have left everything on their default setting.

I've tried every fix there is on the forums, going back and uninstalling then reinstalling the program, uninstalling and removing all the registry keys, reinstalling (yet another) fresh copy, nothing worked. I tried looking for this spyware that everyone is talking about and I have NONE of it on my system, none of my spyware/adware/virus programs pick anything up and I'd think that with a full system wipe and reinstall that there wouldn't be anything on the hard drive to begin with. I don't know what's wrong but it's beginning to annoy me, any suggestions as to why this problem just randomly decided to pop up now?

WindowsXP Home Edition with Service Pack 2
Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GHZ Processor with 1.5 GB RAM
MP3 encoder options : Bitrate 128KBPS, CBR High Quality Stereo
Encoder : MP3 Encoder V1.3
Direct X Ver 9.x
Tennyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2006, 08:05   #51
Dovregubben

I just don't believe my eyes, you posted this information, which is exactly the same problem I got when upgrading from the Basic version to Pro this morning. And still no reply!!!!!!!!!

I have spent hours getting around the problem without success. The ONLY reason why I spent 20$ was to have the increased speed. I didn't do ANY change in the setup that worked just fine, now I have this problem. PLEASE don't tell me it's me or my CD that's the problem.

I will now require money back, uninstall Winamp Pro and re-install the basic version, if that doesn't help, bye-bye Winamp.
Dovregubben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2006, 08:15   #52
Dovregubben

I found a way around, since I used this string for the destination:

<Artist>\<year> - <Album>\## - <Artist> - <Title>

When I removed <year> it works OK. Upgrading, spending 20 bucks reduces functionality but increased speed from 8x to 12x, fantastic!!

I have already started looking for a more decent software.
Dovregubben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2006, 09:09   #53
sammysoul

DJ Egg,
it seems to me that the <year> format cannot be used just anywhere. I initially tried
<Artist>\<Album>-(<year>)\##-<Title> then

<Artist>\<Album>-<year>\##-<Title>
and got the error message both times.

After changing it to
<Artist>\<Album>\##-<Title>
everything works fine.
sammysoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support