Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Old 29th June 2005, 19:47   #41
siebe83
Forum King

Confirmed.
I'm stunned. Turning off AVG, killing all related processes, checking services manager, it didn't help. And with that option unchecked the problem is gone

Dunno what else to say, just wanted to confirm

If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2005, 20:00   #42
jmatthews112
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to jmatthews112 Send a message via Yahoo to jmatthews112
Quote:
Originally posted by Squadman
I've found out that if you disable 'scan documents' in AVG resident shield, the problem stops, but this obviosuly turns off a big part of AVG.
This is a bit off topic, however useful, I think. I have Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition v10 and I created an exclusion to the entire Winamp folder. In doing so, I was able to stop the preference window from creating an overlay on the main window [as stated before i could not reproduce the inability to open the preferences immediately after they were closed, like others].

Is there a way in AVG to create exclusions [and not turn off entire portions of the scanning engine], in order to more effective monitor your system, as I would agree that such an action taken as above is pretty drastic...?

[edit]

I am able to confirm that SAVCE is including winamp.ini in its Auto-Protect functionality upon closing the preferences window. I wish I could post a set of attachments to demonstrate, but I can't now that the post is committed. Anyway, disabling it obviously keeps the above scan from occurring and the preferences don't lag. Problem solved for me.

[/edit]

[edit2]

I just realized how utterly stupid and useless this post is. Feel free to disregard it.

Point is that my virus scanner is scanning winamp.ini as part of it's auto-protect process, and whitelisting it fixes the problem

[/edit2]
jmatthews112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2005, 20:57   #43
Squadman

Send a message via AIM to Squadman
Yeah, that's what I wanted to do, but I don't think it's possible in the Free version.
Squadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2005, 21:19   #44
Squadman

Something must have changed to 'winamp.ini', something to do with that, because that's when the problem started for everyone.

It's not JUST AVG.
Old 30th June 2005, 01:51   #45
Thunder Pussy
Feed me a stray dog
(Major Dude)

Turning off documents scanning removes the problem here as well, however I've posted on the AVG forum & they don't recommend disabling documents scanning. With 5.09 the way playlists are saved on close has been changed. I don't know what changes the dev's have made to the .ini though. Hmph. Sounds like we've got a bug.
Thunder Pussy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2005, 02:21   #46
jmatthews112
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to jmatthews112 Send a message via Yahoo to jmatthews112
Nothing has changed in winamp.ini beyond a few simple commands, I'm sure. It is all a matter that Winamp saves (or perhaps more simply accesses) to Winamp.ini after closing the preferences window, and most anti-virus programs with auto-scanning engines scan this file as it is being saved or accessed. There are no bugs. Simple as that.
jmatthews112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2005, 03:14   #47
Thunder Pussy
Feed me a stray dog
(Major Dude)

The solution, then, may be to pay for AVG, because only the paid version allows for whitelisting; or to change virus scanners. I called it a bug because a problem that didn't exist in the past suddenly becomes a problem with a new version (both the sluggish preferences window & the extended 100% CPU usage on close--along with a sound like the HD is being pegged hard). Grisoft mods are now aware of it, perhaps something will be worked out on that end.
Thunder Pussy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2005, 06:55   #48
MarkRH

I was kind of playing around with this.. and it also seems to be related to what the Preference Window is on top of. If I move the Preferences Windows over to my other monitor or in such a place that it does not cover Winamp, I get no overlay and the Window disappears quickly; otherwise, it takes about a second or two to go away and the underlying Winamp to re-appear.

It also does not stick around if I disable Norton's Auto-Protect.

I am wondering if part of the pause is also related to the skin reloading/redrawing itself since the overlayed parts of the Window only appear over areas of Winamp.

If I do exclude winamp.ini from Auto-Protect, then the overlay pause goes away like others have reported.

If I let my NVidia NView center dialogs or move dialogs to the cursor display and it covers Winamp when it does so, as long as I do not move the dialog box, then it closes without the Overlay delay, which is probably why I never noticed anything since it's always moving the preferences Dialog to my secondary monitor where Winamp is; otherwise, it always opens in my Primary monitor where my mouse isn't. This is what got me to thinking that it also has to do with Winamp redrawing/reloading the skin.

Last edited by MarkRH; 30th June 2005 at 07:16.
MarkRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2005, 17:09   #49
Squadman

I reckon it's just AVG, as it stops when you disable it.

So, now we have to wait until something (if anything)happens...

Or buy AVG Pro.
Old 7th September 2005, 13:48   #50
joeypablo

I think i got an idea what causes this..
The problem seems to be on quite a low level

When you kill all AVG Antivirus processes in your TaskManager, that doesn't mean all AVG related components are stopped.
Wanna know what i'm talking about? Check your DeviceManager under NonPlug&PlayDevices. I'm not really educated on this one, but it seems the kernel-modules for AVG are always loaded, regardless of the fact that all AVG related processes in TaskManager are gone.

So i'm thinking the AVG kernel modules do some sort of file checking (to facilitate on open / on close file scanning) even if all normal AVG processes have been killed.

That's why, with all the resident scanning options turned off, the WinAmp slow proces close and slow Preferences close doesn't happen, and why it DOES happen when you leave all resident options on, but kill all visible AVG processes...
joeypablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2008, 23:39   #51
Mike613

FIXED IT

Hey guys
This is my very first post here and I think i have found a solution to help you all out with the pref window being slow when closing.

In AVG you can open up the "Manage exceptions" list for the resident shield.
If you add the following file paths
C:\Program Files\Winamp\
C:\Documents and Settings\*YOUR USERNAME*\Application Data\Winamp\

This seems to have solved the problem for me and now my pref window closes soooo much faster.

I hope this has been of some help

Mike
Mike613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 17:14   #52
Kalez

I know I'm a bit too late to show up, about 5 years, but since this problem is still around I want to suggest a solution. After some research and browsing internet I found out that the problem is caused your Anti-Virus program ( I don't know if this problem consists all the Anti-Virus programs as I have only confirmed it with AVG and F-Secure) , particulary by its Real Time Protection or whatever it's called.

I haven't found a certain technical explanation but I believe it goes somewhat like this: When closing preferences system rewrites some winamp files making Anti-Virus program to scan them, which makes Winamp freeze.

==Tested only on Windows 7==

The solution is simple: You just have to cut winamp files out of the Real Time (or whatever its called in your A-V program) scanning. I'm sure every Anti-Virus program has this option, but unfortunately you have to find it yourself. I got the path only for AVG:
Resident Shield --> Manage Exceptions

The files/folders you need to add are (default paths):
C:\Program Files\Winamp\
C:\Documents and Settings\*YOUR USERNAME*\Application Data\Winamp\
C:\Documents and Settings\*YOUR USERNAME*\AppData\Roaming\Winamp

Hope this helps!
Kalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2010, 09:18   #53
ximike1006

I'm sure this didn't happen for me in the past, and now it's happening with older versions as well. Something changed at my end, maybe a Windows update or something in combination with the hardware setup. Although it's weird I don't experience any problems, slow-downs, freeze-ups with other programs. Any other suggestions are welcome, but I think it's just something I'll have to live with.
ximike1006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support