Old 17th March 2011, 15:03   #2921
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Smokes in NY now $9.45 per pack at CVS on Long Island , more in the city. And if you know someone who goes to The Res. $55. a carton. I almost can't affford to kill myself. *hack* wheeze*
Old 18th March 2011, 15:04   #2922
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Send a message via AIM to SSJ4 Gogitta
Came into some money (spent part of what I did have saved on the iPad). So, upgrades:

Acer Aspire AS8943G-9319
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i7 740QM (1.73GHz)
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5850
1080p 18.4" screen
Blu-Ray drive

Only two bottlenecks are a 5200 rpm HDD and DDR3 1066 RAM. Not really worried about it though.

Toshiba 18.4-Inch Metropolitan Case

Old 18th March 2011, 19:10   #2923
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ Looks like a way nice Laptop.
Old 18th March 2011, 21:27   #2924
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
And a nice bag. All too often people forget to buy a safe carrying case, and I'm glad you found a way to get one. There is room for a secondary hard drive in the unit. Therefore you could get a solid state drive as an ultra fast operating system/programs drive and use the drive the laptop came with as storage. Also, in this scenario, Windows 7 would shut off the storage drive while not in use, and SSDs use very little energy, conserving batteries even more.

The screen size is monstrous. I'd be willing to bet it would be impressive for movies on the go, but I'd be also worried about battery life with such a huge screen. Rip the movie and run from HDD or flash drive to save energy. That battery is only rated for "up to 3 hours". You might want to make sure your desktop background is a darker picture, along with dark themes for your programs when there are options to customize. Dark background/light text can extend battery life. Temporarily turning brightness down can help if you know you'll need extended battery life. There is a lot of potential for RAM upgrades if you’re worried about that too (using 2 slots, has 4 and can accept faster RAM).

The numpad looks to be correct. I see a lot of numpad-included laptops that don't get it right (they try to lace the plus, minus, and enter keys in the wrong location). The keys are designed much like those found on Macintosh laptops, which take some getting used to, but are mostly ok. The fingerprint reader looks nice and deep; hopefully deep enough that your wrist doesn't repeatedly activate it. On my personal laptop, they placed it between the mouse buttons; I like that. On my work laptop, it's where yours is, and I kept accidentally activating it with my wrist until I finally put tape over it.

eSATA is good for extra-fast high-volume data transfer from portable hard drives, and you have it on this unit. This will be especially helpful since laptops haven’t really caught on to USB3 yet.

Be sure to make regular trips to the weight room to make sure you're always able to carry the 10.1 pound monster!
Your one audio out port can function as either digital or analogue, something that is impressive.
The web cam is somewhat weak, but that’s good – if it were stronger and set to high settings, most internet connections couldn’t handle live feeds very well during video chat. 1.3MP is about 640x480 I think.
Good overall deal it seems; how much did it cost? Newegg has it listed as deactivated.

Don't forget to live before you die.
Old 18th March 2011, 22:49   #2925
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Yeah, newegg had a bitchin' deal on it at $1250, but unfortunately it sold out before I could get the money, so I had to go the $1600 route on amazon to get it (and even then, only 4 were in stock). It should be here monday.

The only problem about using two hard drives, and the primary complaint that laptop gets, is that the door to the laptop compartment doesn't fit when there are two drives. You have to get an aftermarket door (acer basically says "feck off, we dont have it"), and they're hard to find. Maybe one of these days I'll put in a SSD as the primary, and get a 7200 RPM drive for data. Until then, a 500 GB 5200 RPM drive will work alright.

Battery life isn't really an issue. The only time it'll be on battery is when the power goes off (in which case, it will be set to go into standby mode after 10 minutes), or if I put it into standby mode to take it somewhere. Otherwise, it'll always be plugged in.

Old 18th March 2011, 23:10   #2926
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I read that about the door when I was researching the unit. That sucks that Acer won't give you a replacement. SSD drives are sometimes slightly smaller than platter drives, so you might or might not fit it with the original door. You could mod the original too, as some have said, but they say that could void the warranty. Such would only be true if they could prove that your alteration contributed to the problem that you were seeking warranty work for. The price for the aftermarket door is pretty high. Take some pics and post when it comes in.

Old 19th March 2011, 01:25   #2927
fc*uk

13.5 inch copper paella pan.
saffron
smoked paprika
1 kg bomba rice
roasted piquillo pimientos
500 mL evo

Now, I wonder what I'm up to ....
Old 19th March 2011, 04:17   #2928
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, newegg had a bitchin' deal on it at $1250
I think I know why you chose the way you did. You basically wanted a laptop to act as a small footprint desktop. That drive bay thing would confound me a little though. If I was expecting performance out of the thing, I think I'd at least want to be able to run a pair of drives in RAID0. It's still a bottleneck... but twice the speed is noticeable. That's especially given Windows has such a nasty habit of writing unnecessary data to swap space. This machine is noticeably more "perky" running on a RAID0 array of relatively inexpensive drives.

For various reasons, memory speed probably doesn't matter that much. I could go into it, but won't.

From what I understand, you can DYI yourself a solution to hang two drives. I think Ted is right. They'd have to prove you screwed it up to void your warranty. I'd have to bite my tongue if I had to jury rig a new computer though.

Or you could just live with the machine the way it is. It's sure not a slouch. Unless you are routinely handling big files, it won't matter.... sorta... the operating system response is also improved enough to notice.

If you are going to run a laptop at 100% CPU for any length of time, you probably want a laptop cooler. It might not melt, but cooler is better.

Looks like a neat machine. Real aluminum.... sexy...

My laptop is a weaky, squeaky 5534 with an L310 dual core processor. I use a desktop if I need the juice... One of the Acer promised things was a high capacity battery. A year and a half later.... still nope... I have had zero problems in more than a year and a half. The laptop is very used. What has sort of surprised me is the way the cosmetics have held up. Very good. This machine probably will just get used as-is. It's slow, but it's good for watching movies, skype, email..... lightweight stuff like that.

I've also been looking at the falling price of velociraptor drives lately. Single or in a RAID, they really are fast. Faster than my 2 drive raid in quantity one by about half again. Supposedly you're supposed to transfer 75MB a second from anywhere in the platter. The stock drive would likely be in the low 20's.

This 450GB drive looked tasty:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136556

I think the hard disk is probably the most noticeable upgrade you could do to a machine in this class. It may be the only upgrade that would be noticeable.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 19th March 2011 at 05:39.
Old 19th March 2011, 16:46   #2929
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

^that's quite an impressive drive, but do note the comment that said it's a lot taller than most 2.5" drives. Make sure it'll fit before purchase. If it fits, it would create a very noticeable overall performance upgrade. A laptop cooler would indeed be nice, especially if you're using this machine for what it looks to be made for. If you're going to render or do some gaming, things might heat up. Where would you find a cooler for this though? It's a pretty large base. Do coolers generally try to fit the shape of the unit?

Old 19th March 2011, 17:28   #2930
rockouthippie
Banned

Like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834998685

You just set the laptop on top of it, and it cools things off pretty effectively. Because this is an unusual size laptop, you might want to make sure it fits. Yeah, if a guy was gonna do some rendering or video encoding a little extra cooling wouldn't hurt.
Old 19th March 2011, 18:34   #2931
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Cooler dimensions: 12.52" x 15.75"

Laptop dimensions: 17.34" x 11.62"

It could work, but it looks like the laptop would hang off the sides a bit. I guess it would depend on where the laptop's rubber "feet" were and whether or not they'd be touching the cooler. If too close to the corners, the laptop would sit and slide on it's undercarriage rather than on it's feet. If inward more, the laptop could sit and grip the surface of the cooler.

Old 19th March 2011, 22:46   #2932
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Not the same brand, but they do make coolers for larger laptops.

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-..._bxgy_pc_img_c

Old 19th March 2011, 23:18   #2933
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Send a message via Yahoo to Too-DAMN-Much
i think of chief importance, even more so than the price of gas is the question of:

what the fuck kind of money sign is that anyway? and what's it doing on a sign in the US?

I hate everyone, so you don't have to.
Old 20th March 2011, 08:58   #2934
rockouthippie
Banned

I think these are worth getting if you use your laptop for a desktop sometimes. If you are just browsing and checking email...np... but.... making DVD's... playing hefty games... video encoding.... it can get a laptop roasting. If it ever shuts down on you for heat, you really screwed the pooch. It's hard on parts.

Laptops are almost always a compromise between fans and power consumption.... so that's something you have to consider when you expect them to stay cold.

Oh, and never, ever leave one on a fabric surface like a couch or bed.....it can block the cooling vents.... it was something I didn't think of until I did it.... abrupt thermal wool blanket shutdown It came back after it cooled off for 10 minutes, but that can't be a good thing.
Old 20th March 2011, 11:59   #2935
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too-DAMN-Much View Post
i think of chief importance, even more so than the price of gas is the question of:

what the fuck kind of money sign is that anyway? and what's it doing on a sign in the US?
You mean the $? That's the standard symbol for "dollar" in the US.

Old 20th March 2011, 12:07   #2936
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ4 Gogitta View Post
You mean the $? That's the standard symbol for "dollar" in the US.
no

Old 20th March 2011, 14:01   #2937
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too-DAMN-Much View Post
no

That's a fucked up 9/10 sign. Gas is listed as x dollars and nine-tenths of a cent. Carried over from the days where $0.009 actually meant something.

Old 20th March 2011, 15:11   #2938
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

ah, well then that's the second dirtiest sign i've ever seen in that case.
it does explain a bit and i recall the nine tenths thing now that you mention it.

Old 20th March 2011, 18:10   #2939
rockouthippie
Banned

I am old enough to remember $0.249 gas. I bought $0.649 gas. It's an old sign. Marlboro's were 65 cents.
Old 20th March 2011, 19:06   #2940
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

My cheapest was the summer of '97 when I could get a gallon for $0.689. Before that it was always more expensive (in my lifetime starting 1978), but during that summer it fell quite a huge amount, helping to fuel the enormous SUV fad.

Old 20th March 2011, 23:58   #2941
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

i think the lowest i've seen is somewhere in the high dollar and some odd range.

Old 21st March 2011, 11:52   #2942
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Lowest I for certain remember is $1.14.

Also:

South Charleston, WV, United States 03/21/2011 7:00 A.M. Out For Delivery

Old 26th March 2011, 05:12   #2943
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

pentium.... 4... ?
did it come with a time machine? or from maybe?

Old 26th March 2011, 06:30   #2944
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

My box before this one was a P4. Since it was one of the first to be made, it was only rated at 1.3GHz.

Old 4th April 2011, 17:00   #2945
Accessory Geeks

Samsung Galaxy S, Captivate is my first Android phone & I am loving it. It has some lag issues but it was still a big upgrade compared to my iPhone 3G.
Old 4th April 2011, 19:02   #2946
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to mike-db
Carton of smokes, $35 total. Terrible quality tobacco, I'm pretty sure they are from Indian reserves and that they all get shit tobacco, bought a normal pack from the store and tasted waaay better. =/

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Old 4th April 2011, 21:19   #2947
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^The Reservations, here, on Long Island, are very good. Have name brands and fresh cigs. But, you have to know someone. There is also a limit to how many cartons.
Old 5th April 2011, 23:36   #2948
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Quote:
Two days later, on the 7th:

And this morning:

Old 6th April 2011, 00:55   #2949
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Yeah, it's been going up fast. I'm getting hit pretty hard too, because this weekend I drove well over a thousand miles for job interviews in addition to my normal 57 mile per day work driving.

Old 6th April 2011, 07:25   #2950
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

Regular gasoline costs me (just over an hour away of a major city in Australia) $5.48 a gallon. The cheapest we've seen it in the last month in the City as been around $4.98. And that's been our prices for awhile now.

I just filled up my car, using premium (better "mileage" in the long run) for about $50 and that's a weekly fill up.
Old 6th April 2011, 12:50   #2951
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Do they pay well "Down Under", Shy? Cuz, day-yum that's a lot of coin.
Old 9th April 2011, 00:19   #2952
fc*uk

The gas-oil folks are back to bending us over their oil barrel. We've not seen a price hike in a while; this summer is going to be a bear.

I recently bought a psp 1001k off eBay. I think it marks the third thing I have gotten off eBay. Not really looking for a portable gaming investment here (hence the oldest psp model). However, I must play The Third Birthday. Been waiting for an Aya Brea comeback since I beat PE2 for the PS1 back in 2001. Really pisses me off that Square Enix is making this a PSP only title. I sure don't hope they launch an exclusive PS3 title....
Old 9th April 2011, 16:38   #2953
NJK
The Frisian

new keyboard

with seven cats in the house it is likely one of them played with the old keyboard.
i found it this morning on the floor in 5 pieces.

wonderglue could not do the trick this time ( best invention ever to mend broken things)

Each Thursday a new show on Celtica Radio with Darkwave music.

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
Old 9th April 2011, 23:12   #2954
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ Don't be blamin' the kit-tehs!!! It's their job....to ruin..er...play with things
This Haircut...way nice
Old 10th April 2011, 12:29   #2955
cooky560
Major Dude

Send a message via MSN to cooky560 Send a message via Yahoo to cooky560 Send a message via Skype™ to cooky560
You've not seen the price of our gas have you?

in GBP per LITER

Cooky560 - Making Pointless Posts since 8/12/ 2002

WWW.
Victory Requires no explanation, defeat allows none.
All that Evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing
Old 10th April 2011, 18:15   #2956
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

You have the point nine bullshit over there too?

Old 11th April 2011, 00:21   #2957
Barter

Cat Fud...
Old 11th April 2011, 01:26   #2958
gaekwad2
Foorum King

^Gary Larson, is that you?
Old 11th April 2011, 11:01   #2959
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ A classic! ♥
Old 12th April 2011, 11:10   #2960
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Quote:
And this morning:

Last night:

Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions