Old 27th December 2009, 15:37   #1001
fc*uk

Yes, you should take your 30 route to get around Chicago completely.

When I actually had to get out of Chicago I tried like you did to find an off time where there would be less traffic. After about three to four failures of this, I finally conceded that there is no off traffic time for that city.

I remember when I first moved to the city, the American Chemical Society held one of it's semi annual conferences in Chicago. As a result a bunch of my friends were in town. On the last night of the conference we all went out drinking and ended up staying until the bar we were at booted us our around 2 in the morning. On the way home, I got stuck in traffic on an onramp to the freeway for two and a half hours. Jehebus!

I really don't miss the traffic of that place. In the end you are right; they need to have something for people who don't want to have to deal with Chicago to get around it without massively going out of their way.
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2009, 16:37   #1002
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Like I've said many times before, my favorite part of Chicago was the departure terminal at O'Hare airport.
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2009, 17:02   #1003
fc*uk

You are lucky that you actually made it out of O'Hare as well
Old 27th December 2009, 17:57   #1004
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

lol....Midway wasn't much better.
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2009, 22:25   #1005
fc*uk

Nope, Midway is not too much better, but, for regulars of the city, it is the only was to go.

I believe I have posted a few times in these forums that if a bird, leaf, snowflake, rain drop (depending upon the season) blows past the flight tower at O'Hare in the wrong direction, then the airport shuts down for hours.

As for my latest niggling annoyance: Torq, Snow Leopard, Xponent beta Snow Leopard drivers. Can't time stretch anything without making it cound like ass. Guess I need to dust off that Traktor box...
Old 27th December 2009, 23:18   #1006
gaekwad2
Foorum King

I heard there were those computers that just work. They cost a little more, and there's far less software available for them, but you never have the same hassle and hardware problems as with Windows or Linux, and...

couldn't resist
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2009, 23:44   #1007
Paul_Bags
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by gaekwad2
I heard there were those computers that just work. They cost a little more, and there's far less software available for them, but you never have the same hassle and hardware problems as with Windows or Linux, and...

couldn't resist
If I can't take it apart, figure out how it works, replace/hack/repair it's innards etc I'm not interested.

Also 99.5%* of the time windows just works for me, and I know i can fix it (or reinstall it) if it doesn't. And it's that 'dodgy' software that I want to run, mostly games.

*That works out to just under 2 days of the year, which is accurate, and most of that time was taken up with avoidable things like viruses. It's not five nines but hey, I'm not running a server.
Paul_Bags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2009, 23:50   #1008
fc*uk

This is actually a software issue on Avid's end. Take away either one of them (Snow Leopard specifically or Torq), and you have a working solution again. You go to their forums and you can see that Torq is riddled with problems on both the PC and Mac end.

But yeah, touche point taken. I'll concede that macs are not entirely without fault, especially in this instance.
Old 28th December 2009, 05:27   #1009
rockouthippie
Banned

A couple of the long time mac enthusiasts I know have recently become traitors and bought a more capable PC for half the money.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2010, 05:25   #1010
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
Well holy shit. Renee was taking her turn driving, I fell asleep, she missed turning down to 30 but stayed on I-80, and actually passed Chicago without slowing down all that much. Now why the hell do the gods smile on her and not me? If it had been me behind the wheel, I'd still be parked there.

Total drive was ~900 mi. in just over 13.5 hrs.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 03:05   #1011
fc*uk

Fluke accident Ted; don't worry it will never happen again

Today I learned a little bit of Canadian. Moved the wife to Toronto and I had to come back to Michigan today as I have to work tomorrow. It was randomly snowing in places from Toronto to Detroit.

Looked like lake effect to me.

Hopped online, learned some roads were closed due to snow (which I thought was a little odd that far south in Canada), but whatever. I had hours of drive before I hit the closed roads and if they were still closed when I got there I could easily get home by taking other roads.

Roads were still closed when I neared them. I tried to get around using roads that were not closed .... those roads sucked all sorts of unholy ass.

Translation: when Canada closes roads that means people need to stay the fuck home.
Old 11th January 2010, 04:47   #1012
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Too much computer use probably, but it seems that no solution exists to give my mouse hand circulation. My left hand stays warm and my right hand becomes quite cold if I use a computer for more than 20 minutes straight.

I've tried a couple different mouse pads, including 2 with wrist rests, but I think I may need some kind of arm rest attached to the table or something; maybe something from this site, but I don't know.

http://www.ergo-items.com/armSupport.htm

Old 11th January 2010, 05:12   #1013
Paul_Bags
Major Dude

Rise your angle of approach/ get a mouse you grip from a slightly higher angle/ maybe even raise your seat height if possible, just to take some pressure off your wrist.

Never understood wrist pads, just redistributes pressure into the hollow between the two major wrist bones, the hollow thats there to protect nerve and vein clusters.

OOO, my mouse works nicely on my leg. Damn that takes some pressure off. (what I really need is a higher chair)
Old 13th January 2010, 03:23   #1014
rockouthippie
Banned

I use a couple different mouses and a trackball. I think just having the different shapes helps not strain my hand in exactly the same way. It seems to help. You might want to get one of those springy hand exercisers too. I'm kinda screwed because I think most computer desks were built for 5 foot people.

Using the mouse on your leg. Yep. Do that too.

My pet peeve for the day... thieves.... My local grocery store was selling some fat Maine lobsters. I wanted one, but the meat counter lady told me they quit because more of them got stolen than they sold. She'd wrap em up... people would walk right out the door.

Damn. The stealing around here is getting pretty annoying. It's not just the dreg douche bags in town either. It seems like middle class people don't know what belongs to them either.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 13th January 2010 at 03:44.
Old 13th January 2010, 03:43   #1015
Paul_Bags
Major Dude

My desk is two bed side sets of drawers and a big bit of,er, some type of processed wood. An't pretty, but it's under desk clearance is about 29' high 23' deep 28' wide (I measured). I keep a toolbox under there as a footrest.
Old 13th January 2010, 04:13   #1016
rockouthippie
Banned

I use a tupperware cafeteria style folding table which is sorta fugly, but big enough, tall enough and I have a leather rocker chair with an ottoman ($100 K-mart) if I want to put my feet up. I have not found the desk that was stylish and comfortable. I have over the years had some rather expensive computer desks that fell apart. The $40 Costco plastic table seems to be better than the alternatives..... and more or less indestructable.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 13th January 2010 at 04:31.
Old 14th January 2010, 01:57   #1017
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Most computer desk (table actually) are made of shitty particle board with drilled holes for easy assembly (and easy breakage). I can literally jump on my desk with boots and land as hard as I can and not hurt it. It's a steel monster from the 60's - probably designed to withstand a good cold-war nuking. On top I built a hutch out of some old 2x4's and plywood. It's also able to be jumped on. I gave it a quick sandblasting and painted it black with some Rust-Oleum Professional rattle-can paint - used to be the old-school battleship gray with some scratches. This pic was taken at my last place in South Dakota in '08, and a lot of electronics have changed, but the desk/hutch is still pretty much the same workstation at this new place as it always was.

I really wish I could find one of those huge desks from that era instead of this table. They'd be even bigger, stronger, and include drawers. I'd pay a shitload of money for one in good condition, and hell, I'd keep it in the original color, just because. I'd probably have a lot more building options for a hutch over top too, considering the larger size.

To me it's either good looking and cheap quality or horrific looking but strong. I can climb up on top of that thing to adjust wiring without worries. If anyone can find me one of those old-school cold-war steel beast desks within 500 miles of here, let me know.

Ahh, found a pic for reference - this is a smaller version of what I'm talking about, but they used to make 'em like this and much bigger:

Old 14th January 2010, 19:32   #1018
rockouthippie
Banned

I had a desk like that, but gave it away when I moved once. I'll bet you could find one in a surplus store like I did. I didn't really think it was all it was cracked up to be..... too freaking heavy.

I bought a couple of these cafeteria type folding tables at Costco. They were both <$50. Rubbermaid? Tupperware? something like that. I use the small one in the kitchen. It handily holds up a mini-fridge full of beverages and the microwave. That's gotta be 100 lbs and I wouldn't worry about sitting on it.

For storage, I have a wire frame shelf unit with plastic storage containers and milk crates. Easy to find stuff. Not stylish, but I haven't broken it in 2 years. I can't say that for computer desks I've had.

You got the "easy break" particle board thing right. I have noticed that all particle board is not equal. I got some bookshelves from Target a while ago that look nice and don't bend under being full of books. They are veneer on the surface. 3 or 4 years old now.
Old 2nd February 2010, 23:35   #1019
fc*uk

The track It Only Hurts by Julie Thompson.

Can't tell you how long this one has eluded me.
Old 24th February 2010, 02:56   #1020
fc*uk

I was a full fucking bar off on a demo set I did tonight. Pissed me right off.
Old 24th February 2010, 02:59   #1021
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

How long before it was corrected?

Old 24th February 2010, 03:29   #1022
fc*uk

Well, it's not that the beat was off. The beat was on, the bars were off.

So, 4 beats in a bar ... blah blah blah ... in dance music something happens every 2, 4, 8, 16, or 32 ... bars. I was mixing two songs where something happened every four bars .... except I was a bar off so something was happening every three bars, which does not fit any of the molds above at all.

So, though it sound OK, it just felt wrong ... everyone knew it and was scratching their heads trying to figure out exactly where the screw up was.

edit-----

And to actually answer your question. I could not correct it. It was a deer in the headlights thing

Actually, it was during an energy boost transition so the keys of the songs did not match to begin with .... which means the transition was a fast one of only 12 bars.

And to correct my error, something was happening every three and one bars due to me being off a whole bar. At times I like to think I still have retained some of my math skills ... though the above statement seriously makes me wonder.
Old 24th February 2010, 05:01   #1023
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I understand what you meant originally, just was curious how long you were off - in other words, was it over after those 12 bars? Usually when that happens to me I'll just cut to the other track - it's a noticeable glitch, but most people forget about it in less than a minute.

Having unmatched keys isn't so bad if song A's tonic key is the 5 chord to song B, or some other natural key change progression where a few transition measures aren't a problem.

and now for my small (actually big) niggling annoyance - About the dance music - I usually see 64 bars or more of the same gawdamn 2-bar pattern before the fucking dj adds something; even several big name DJs (although thankfully not all). Some think it's good enough to add a stupid little percussion fill at the end of each set of 8 bars, but otherwise it stays the same until everyone in the place is nauseous. It makes me want to grab a caveman's club and take it to the DJ's gear while screaming "MAKE IT STOP!". Absolutely NO 2 bar phrase is good enough to hear 32 times in a row without at least adding or changing something.

Old 25th February 2010, 02:15   #1024
fc*uk

Yea, it was over those 12 bars. Cutting is no doubt the way to go, but I was at a massive low the track I would have needed to cut into. I felt that would have sounded slightly worse than throwing people off. Maybe, maybe not. The 12 bars were about 20 seconds in length; not too long, but long enough.

I agree with your gripe about the same 2 bars played 64 times over. Pisses me right off as well and makes me want to crawl into bed. However, there is a place for that sort of thing --- a place that I generally hate as well.

Generally your early evening folks are milking that all day because people are sober/afraid to get their groove on/eating/chatting with friends/trying to score that hot dude/chick, etc. Ya just can't change things quickly on them at that time because they are going to be all WTF! It also keeps the night slow. Of course, some people don't get that either; not everyone wants 140 bpm at 7:00 pm.

I took a gig recently where I felt I had to provide a transitional set due to the early time of my set. Damn near fell asleep at the decks at some points, but people ate it up. As everyone started to get a little more liberal, so did the music. I would hope that the difference with my set in the beginning is it at least provided a unique/soulful sound that most people don't hit.

Check it out if you want: http://soundcloud.com/fc-uk/city-lounge-shark

If you don't like it, I won't be offended as I am not sure I exactly love it yet.
Old 25th February 2010, 03:35   #1025
gaekwad2
Foorum King

I wonder what you think of sets like this.
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2010, 05:56   #1026
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by gaekwad2
I wonder what you think of sets like this.
acquiring slowly - will give you an opinion when I get it

Quote:
Originally posted by fc*uk
Check it out if you want:
Certainly something I wouldn't want to dance to or have as my focal club point, but, I don't see that as the intention. I hear it as cool, somewhat tame, and laid back - maybe good for an after-work cocktail, after-hours unwinding, internet cafe, or an urban joyride where the music shouldn't get in the way of conversation or other areas of focus but still should be a strong source of environment-creation and atmosphere. Pretty good stuff there.

On the thread topic - I can't stand scraping windows. I wish schools had garages for staff cars so that I didn't have to scape my windows after work before going home. I'd do the remote-start keyfob thing with the defroster pre-set (pre-installed on the car, cheap add-on for the truck), but I see that as a waste of gasoline. Would it break the windows to just use hot tap water? (The outside temperature is generally around -35F through maybe +25F.)

Old 10th March 2010, 20:37   #1027
rockouthippie
Banned

Today's annoyance. Oregon weather I like to call phlegm. 39 degrees, wind, rain, 100% humidity. Perfect weather if you are moss or tree fungus. Perfect for growing it in your ears. No wonder Lewis and Clark almost died.

It's just like granny used to say:

Put some clothes on, you'll catch your death of mud!
Old 10th March 2010, 20:53   #1028
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

That's one thing about the Pacific Northwest - precipitation. You have the whole country beat on it, except maybe the mountains on Kauai, Hawaii. But you do have some damn beautiful wilderness areas because of it.

We've had cancellations all over the place due to zero-visibility fog. We started the week with the snow that had accumulated over the past 3 months, totaling many feet. Finally we got some rain for two days straight that has been quickly melting it, filling basements with water. Now that the rain just ended, we have fog that makes you creep along in first gear with your 4-way blinkers on. Luckily my immediate area has just a bit of visibility so that you can still drive very slowly, but the neighboring areas have been shutting everything down.

Old 11th April 2010, 17:59   #1029
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
Other people on bike trails:

On a paved trail, please stay on your side of the road. I almost got into two collisions today because groups insisted on riding side by side across the whole path.

On any trail, if you want to have a conversation with a fellow biker/hiker/whatever, don't stop and block the whole path for everyone.

Also, please please keep your dog on a leash. Yes, your dog is probably trained. I don't know that, however and if something startles it, I don't want to have to be trying to outrun your lunatic animal, even though on a bike I'd probably be alright.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2010, 20:44   #1030
Paul_Bags
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_rock923 View Post
Other people on bike trails:

On a paved trail, please stay on your side of the road. I almost got into two collisions today because groups insisted on riding side by side across the whole path.
Bike paths that are supposed to be 2 way + joggers/pedestrians/aliens, and are only wide enough for one bike. With poor maintenance. The path I have in mind is there to get cyclists off the motorway, but frankly I think the motorways safer.
Old 12th April 2010, 02:56   #1031
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I love dogs, but I do not for a fraction of a moment hesitate to give one that chases me a good shove with my foot to send it rolling if/when it chases me. If an owner has a problem with that, it's their fault, not mine. It's a good shove (not an impact kick), and it teaches the dog a good hard lesson without really injuring it, and I don't slow down. Now, if it's someone that honestly lost control of it and it's off dragging a leash somewhere, I'll stop and help get it, but if it's clearly a loose/untrained dog, it's getting rolled.

Old 13th April 2010, 22:08   #1032
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Bags View Post
Bike paths that are supposed to be 2 way + joggers/pedestrians/aliens, and are only wide enough for one bike. With poor maintenance. The path I have in mind is there to get cyclists off the motorway, but frankly I think the motorways safer.
The one I'm talking about is wide enough. It's a path that's so convenient that it's actually "too popular" and there are more of the ordinary locals than the fascinating and mostly nice people that one normally finds on a trail.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 01:20   #1033
fc*uk

There are too many damn "social networking" sites for DJs. DJs are about as collected as a fart in a wind storm when it comes to this shit.

I suggest we eliminate all but one and someone sends me a pair of CDJ-900's for stream lining the community. Screw it, I want the CDJ-2000's if I am being given them for free.
Old 6th May 2010, 01:41   #1034
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

^I'd like to see that one site of yours, but only if you filtered it so that admission required something more than someone who bought an ipod and a stereo...

I had a small niggling annoyance today. Some dickwad that graduated a while ago made it a point to circle the school during the school day a bunch of times in a loud pickup truck, blasting music and chirping his tires. A quick call to the police fixed it quickly enough, but that's really sad if someone has to go back to high school for attention...

I'm hoping that I can create the kind of people who have better lives than that when they leave high school, but I guess there will always be those kinds of people - high school superstars, later-life-losers.

Old 6th May 2010, 01:59   #1035
fc*uk

That is pretty low. When I was in college, I could have come up with hundreds of other things to do that would have beat out driving around my old highschool like an ass. But at the end of the day you are right: there will always be those kinda of people.

As for the sites, I would like to see SoundCloud pull it off as well (at least that is the one I believe you are referencing). However, the downside to them is you do find a fair amount of filth.

Let's Mix generally draws a more serious crowd, but the networking abilities on that place are next to nothing. If you can attract people there, good for you you will do well in their competitions, but there is no true way to build a fan base.

Mix.dj is total crap because of the amount of bullshit spam you get. Plus, they are massively expensive. However, they have smart phone apps, so you get a lot of exposure. However, the site is such crap I can't bring myself to deal with it other than to upload the occasional mix.
Old 7th May 2010, 05:53   #1036
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I really like the site you use to upload your lounge sets (and then post on the what are you listening to right now thread). It is simple and effective.

That dumbass came for another visit, this time more quietly but with a dozen eggs. The cameras recorded/caught him, and of course so did the same cop, who I just found out ironically was a graduate of only one year prior to this guy.

This is my first year at this place, so I don't know much about either one of them, but the teachers that have been around said the two didn't really get along while in school... so I'm guessing they really don't get along now.

Old 10th May 2010, 04:37   #1037
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
It's a good shove (not an impact kick), and it teaches the dog a good hard lesson without really injuring it
If it's not a vicious type that is going to bite, stop, fold your arms and look away from the dog like "I don't want to play with you". They will understand your body language.

It works to train a dog that jumps on people too. Get your friends to cooperate with you and do the same thing. If you are on a bike, dismount the bike between you and the dog and do the same thing.
Old 10th May 2010, 04:44   #1038
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

If I stop, the dog gets what it wanted; a reward for it's misbehavior so to speak. I don't stop unless the dog is in front of me and I can't steer around it. Otherwise I just keep going. Usually dogs that chase aren't within range of me giving a push, and if that's the case, no problem for anyone involved.

Old 10th May 2010, 04:45   #1039
rockouthippie
Banned

A dog doesn't look at it that way by instinct. It usually just wanted to play, and you did not give it play. It's a good thing to teach kids too. A good shove might even be interpreted as play in their pea brain. Don't even talk to them until they settle down.

Sit gets pets. Chasing, jumping gets nada.

It's a technique by which youngsters can end play with a dog getting too rough too.
Old 11th May 2010, 06:05   #1040
hgnis
Hobbit Humper
Forum King

Why the fuck can people not STOP at the damn STOP sign? Is your cell phone conversation while sipping that stupid Starbucks in one hand while playing your damn hair with the other more important than driving? Why the fuck do you even have a car?
If only there was some way to make these fools wake up before they kill someone.....

I am so important I feel the need to let it be known like a liberal discovering the internets for the first time. Uh hur hur hur. I also wash myself with a rag on a stick.
Realitybites
<3
hgnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Community Center > The Bitchlist