Old 14th February 2004, 01:34   #1
aarmenaa

Send a message via AIM to aarmenaa
True Toolbar Object

I really like using my Winamp as a bar across the top of my screen-it's really pure genius! But, it covers up the top row of icons on my desktop, and I have to fight back and forth with my other programs and Winamp. It would be nice if you could make Winamp run in a "true" toolbar mode, like the bar that MS Office makes (only less sucky). That way, Windows is aware of it's location, shifts icons, title bars, etc...to avoid conflicts. You could also make it "auto-hide," so it would appear when your cursor hit the top of the screen, and remain invisible when it wasn't needed (this would have to be an option, as some people really don't like that). I don't know how difficult this would be (considering the nature of Winamp's interface), but it would be a completely new way of utilizing Winamp, and I love it. Or maybe I'm just a noob. Just thinking out loud, I suppose.

-aarmenaa

| Shuttle AN35N-Ultra (Nforce 2 ULtra 400 Chipset) | AMD Thunderbird 1000 | ATI Radeon 9800 NP | 512 MB PC 2700 (DDR 333) | Promise Ulra ATA 100 Controller | Western Digital 80GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache ATA100 | Maxtor 40GB 5400RPM ATA100 | IBM Deskstar 30GB 7200RPM ATA100 | Windows XP SP1a | Winamp 5.01 |
Old 14th February 2004, 04:09   #2
EdgeOfEpsilon

Send a message via ICQ to EdgeOfEpsilon Send a message via AIM to EdgeOfEpsilon
There's already a thread here about that...

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=154897

sfx
Old 14th February 2004, 04:58   #3
aarmenaa

Yes, those threads are kind of like what I'm describing, but they're all at least a year old, and this isn't on the wishlist. The link also appears to be dead for xdock, and I'm not sure it does what I'm thinking about anyway. Also, I'm not realy sure what it is I'm trying to describe. The best analogy I've been able to come with is the equivilant of the Windows taskbar with autohide on, only at the top of the screen. I suppose this would be a skin capability. Anyway, sorry if this idea seems redundant-it's hard to search for an idea without a name.

-aarmenaa
Old 14th February 2004, 05:17   #4
EdgeOfEpsilon

Send a message via ICQ to EdgeOfEpsilon Send a message via AIM to EdgeOfEpsilon
Well, the auto-hide is a unique idea. I do agree there should be a docking plugin for Winamp modern skins, though.

sfx
Old 14th February 2004, 05:51   #5
aarmenaa

I crawled through the archives again. Even the docking plugins seem mostly dusty, probably because they've been made obsolete by Wasabi skins. Speaking of which, many of these skins are close to what I'm looking for. Both Invitica and MMD3 have a "stick mode" where they are elongated along the top of the screen (or anywhere else you put them), and others seem to have implemented this too. Now if only the skin would disappear from view when I don't have my mouse on it I would be happy.

That last part is probably the biggest problem, I think. How would you get all the windows (main, playlist, etc) to slide out of view, or would they? It would take lots of user settings to decide which windows would behave which way. You could even have options to choose how each window would slide out (main window goes off the top, playlist off the bottom, this window to the right...). It's probably too complex to ask, but as long as we're dreaming we may as well dream big, eh?

-aarmenaa
Old 14th February 2004, 07:03   #6
Sawg

Winamp 5.0 Wishlist (Read this first before posting here)

mini/deskband mode

*whacked*

Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist