Nullsoft Newbie (Moderator)

uh, send songs to iPod?

DO NOT PM ME WITH TECH SUPPORT QUESTIONS
Old 23rd February 2006, 18:58   #82
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

@Jipcy

Well spotted my friend. Even I didn't know that (I actually still had build 469)

Looks like just a few minor installer changes related to the musicnow offer.

IMPORTANT

@ all Win9x users

Please see my edited previous post
re: unicows.dll missing
Old 23rd February 2006, 19:33   #83
KaHOnas

Thanks Trent. Got it...

There are 10 kinds of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.
Old 23rd February 2006, 19:52   #84
Juanus
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Juanus
Quote:
Originally posted by will
uh, send songs to iPod?
Thanks for all of your great work Will, I know that the future versions of this plugin will be super. Sending Playlists to the Ipod is just as important as sending the music itself. I personally can't wait till the next version of ML_PMP.

Great release Devs.
Old 23rd February 2006, 20:00   #85
danboarder

Send a message via AIM to danboarder
Shoutcast TV and Radio - PLEASE FIX

Shoutcast in 5.2 - Several observations:

Search field problems:
- I can't double-click an old search term and type
a new one over it. I have to 'backspace' to clear it!

- Search only searches stream titles?! It should also
search by tags/genre/rating, etc.

Browse by Genre needs work. This should be part of the search/advanced search.

For example, in the old Winamp, I could search for "Trance" and get dozens of genre and title based matches. Now I get a total of 3 streams! Browse by genre to get results for this seems redundant. At least include Genre in the search function.

Default themes in the shoucast views seem hard to read (at least when set to MonoDark). This was never a problem before.

When I first saw this I thought "Maybe AOL is trying to kill off Winamp and Streamcast... since they are not making money on the streams, etc..." Prove me wrong!
Old 23rd February 2006, 20:02   #86
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Build 473 uploaded

Fixes the issue where unicows.dll wasn't being installed under Win9x

[edit by benski: if you are using Windows 98 and Winamp wasn't working, you'll want to re-download. Make sure you clear your browser cache]
Old 23rd February 2006, 20:14   #87
danboarder

Shoutcast TV and Radio - furthermore...

I use winamp for Radio more than anything. I have CDs but get bored so Shoutcast has been great.

PLEASE fix the Search and Genre functions in the new version! I can't select an old Search term in the search field with the mouse. I can't search by rating or genre... Please make this a full test search of all stream info.

Feature Request: There is no user 'tagging' functionality. Visit www.LAST.FM for some examples of how to add something like this. If this was built into Winamp, all my search worries would go away... I would tag what I like and easily find it again! I can't seem to find the streams I used to listen to in the new interface.

Thanks for your work on Winamp, I love it, but don't want to see it die and then have to use a resource hog like iTunes.
Old 23rd February 2006, 20:18   #88
monsta45

shoutcast is now a pain

listings are awful to say least

beginners will not find stations they previously listened to

C
Old 23rd February 2006, 20:40   #89
ujay
Forum King

@ monsta - give it a chance, it's slowly improving all the time.

UJ
Old 23rd February 2006, 21:00   #90
mullins_Mcd

Hey all,

Long time user, first time poster. I noticed that, when you have your Playlist Editor minimized so that only the playing song is shown, 5.2 capitalizes all the letters in that song. Since his is a small issue so i did not want to create a new thread, but could someone either PM me or post me a setting to change so that it appears as normal.

Thanks,
Brandon M Smith
Old 23rd February 2006, 21:09   #91
papadoc
Comfortably Numb
(Forum King)

I'd have to agree they kinda screwed the pooch on the Shoutcast browser.
But I'm willing to wait and see what they do with it.

And what's with AOL Radio with XM streaming @ 16kbps?

Last edited by papadoc; 23rd February 2006 at 21:32.
Old 23rd February 2006, 21:44   #92
xunil2

Shoutcast browser

Bad. I don't like.

The multi-line entries are the biggest problem. When things are one line and I can choose which columns I want, I am happier.

I used to be able to go to the top line and type "ess.tv" and all the items would appear quickly and I could sort them according to ESS's channel numbers.

Now the joy is lost. I will leave 5.2 on this machine, but my other computers will remain pre-5.2.

[Edit] Reminds me of the New Coke debacle.
Old 23rd February 2006, 22:03   #93
Omega X
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Omega X Send a message via Yahoo to Omega X
Quote:
Originally posted by papadoc
I'd have to agree they kinda screwed the pooch on the Shoutcast browser.
But I'm willing to wait and see what they do with it.

And what's with AOL Radio with XM streaming @ 16kbps?
There is a lot of complaining about the SHOUTcast browser. But if its a new system guiding selections, its bound to have problems.

AND the lo grade XM streaming is probabaly an AOL tactic to get you to pay for a(better quality) subscription to XM.
Old 23rd February 2006, 22:11   #94
ozzymanborn

I'm Backing 5.13

I'm not liked new media browser. It Slows My PC And I Can't find Anything all wanted. In Winamp 5.13 All Aol Radios (200) Backed Again And New Idiotic HTML Version they dissapear to (20) again. I Like The Media Library because its not HTML and easy to search. I Will Uninstall This And Reinstall My Older Good 5 Star Winamp 5.13. I am Waiting A Winamp 5.21 media library just like 5.13 (Maybe With One Difference If You Want Show Media Library All Stream You Can View Them in Media Library Search Box.)
5.2 5.13
Old 23rd February 2006, 22:12   #95
danboarder

I actually like that the new Shoutcast TV and Radio browser is web-based, it can potentially be great. The search and genre/sorting/filtering/tagging features are just not great yet - this is like an 'alpha' version or something... hopefully.
Old 23rd February 2006, 22:22   #96
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
Originally posted by danboarder
The search and genre/sorting/filtering/tagging features are just not great yet - this is like an 'alpha' version or something... hopefully.
Correct :-) It will improve in time, and with patience.

I don't know... all those great new features and improvements/fixes in the new version, and all some people can do is moan ;-)
Old 23rd February 2006, 22:35   #97
YtseJam
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to YtseJam Send a message via AIM to YtseJam
Why shouldn't they?

They are users...
They can appreciate and at the same time moan. I see nothing wrong with that.

Old 23rd February 2006, 22:47   #98
danboarder

"... all those great new features and improvements/fixes in the new version, and all some people can do is moan :/"

All the features and improvements are great! Thanks!!

Now, sorry to sound like Simon from American Idol,

"However...."

... the Shoutcast portion hit many users as a downgrade... so when changing a core feature (i.e. SHOUTcast browser), make sure it's at least as functional as the old one was. I know it has the potential to be even better, but it's not there yet, maybe it should have stayed in the CVS until it's at least as functional as the old SHOUTcast browser.

Beyond that, mad props to you all who work on this. I guess it's not an open source app yet, but for many of us if almost feels like one, and you all do deserve credit. - peace.
Old 23rd February 2006, 22:51   #99
ozzymanborn

Give Library Selection to Users. Like Classic Skin(*****), Modern Skin. This Is Solution For Fight. And Problem Is Not Only shoutcast Portion All "Online Media" part is full of problems. (No Artist or genre folder I seen yet in winamp Music) (I've seen genre Browser In Winamp Video) (And Only 20 station in AOL Radio Browser.)
Old 23rd February 2006, 23:07   #100
upsfeup

I installed winamp 5.2 and now it just don't run!

Windows XP fires the little windows that says the program will be terminated and asks if it can send an error report.

Is there an safe-mode? Or a debug report? It might be an plugin that causes it, so if I can disable it?

Till then.. I'll revert to 5.13

[edit]
:S
Now the 5.13 doesn't run either! HEEEELp! I can't live without music!
Old 23rd February 2006, 23:33   #101
deppy
Banned

@upsfep:

Try a clean install, if it still doesn't work go into the winamp tech support forum and post what is going on along with any needed info from http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=161361

Please don't PM me for technical support. Other users can't search through PM's so it does the other users no good.
Old 23rd February 2006, 23:43   #102
upsfeup

Thanks deppy!

With a clean install of the plugins directory and winamp.ini I was able to run-it! I then installed only a few plugins. I still don't know wich one caused the problem...
Old 24th February 2006, 01:22   #103
xunil2

Moaning

All some users can do is moan, eh?

I'm a registered Winamp Pro user, and I'm telling the developers something I don't like. Why focus on that? Well, lately, ShoutCast is what I've been using Winamp for, so it was the very first thing to hit me -- suddenly it is a hell of a lot more difficult to find my ess.tv feeds (for which I'm also a paying user).

In any product such as this, changes to the user interface are the very changes users are going to notice and complain about first. This is fundamental. The other fixes and changes are non-obvious to most end-users so therefore they won't clue in to them. Take the moaning with a grain of salt; it is the cross you bear as a developer of widely-used software.

That said, I do love Winamp. It is far superior to anything else out there, which is why I paid for the Pro version. The UI is well-designed overall. We really do appreciate the work you do on this.
Old 24th February 2006, 01:46   #104
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....41#post1872741
Old 24th February 2006, 01:49   #105
michelhack

WHY WHY WHY
SHOUTCAST INTERFACE NOW SUCKS
I'm going back to 5.13 until this stupidy is fixed
Old 24th February 2006, 02:26   #106
Jeeper One
Major Dude

Re: Winamp 5.2 Released

Hi everyone:
Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
Winamp 5.2
[snip...]
Quote:
Whats new:
[snip again...]
Quote:
* New: [in_nsv] Using Coding Technologies AAC playback within NSV container
Hopefully this will solve the problems I've had with H.264 based NSV streams like mine.

Cheers

Pat (ala Jeeper One)

Pat Cook
Englewood, CO
Old 24th February 2006, 02:46   #107
spin26

what if after installing winamp 5.2 without the new media library then install the old library dll that i copied from 5.13... will it work?
Old 24th February 2006, 02:53   #108
danboarder

Tag (developer) said earlier that it's impractical to load all the stream data into the old interface (using XML).

How about creating the interface using the same interface as the Local Media section? I have thousands of songs and Local Media handles this fine, no speed problems. If my system could cache an XML file and simply check for stream updates on login (not updating playlists etc all at once). Just an idea.
Old 24th February 2006, 03:18   #109
LobsterX

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
@LobsterX

[EDIT]

Ahh crap! We've just found out that unicows.dll isn't being installed on Win9x due to some bug in the installer.

Download, unzip and place unicows.dll in your Winamp root folder
and then try to run Winamp again.

Hi... I downloaded and instlled the file you've recomended. But while extrcting, i notticed have already the file in my winamp root dated 15/9/05 which is "newer" then the one in the zip[14/9/05]

Tried reinstalling with the 469 build with no success. uninstalled.

Downloaded the new build (473). Noticed it did an external down of some windows media files. I found it quite interesting. The installation was a sucess... am now running winamp playing my songs....

thanks for the bug fix!
Old 24th February 2006, 03:25   #110
JavaJones

My biggest question about all this (and yes I've posted elsewhere about it ) is, given that it seems even the mods/devs agree the new ML online content browser isn't fully featured, why is it even in the official install now? Why not beta test it for a while until it's up to snuff? Was the old system really causing that many problems? From our end (the users), it seemed to be working fine right up until the change. I think the average user at least deserves the courtesy of new functions being well tested before being introduced! If nothing else there should have been an option in this install to choose which display format was desired, so that when the new interface is ready it can be used, but you don't yet lose the old one. This could have been included with some kind of time limit, say 30 days and it would auto-disable itself. That would give the devs plenty of time to get the new system into better shape. As it is we get a very incomplete, low functionality replacement for something that seemed to work great. Very disappointed.

- Oshyan
Old 24th February 2006, 04:25   #111
shepard

I'm getting confused on the iPod support. I want to continue to use ml_iPod for now until I have time to learn the new portable support but I downloaded 5.2. Was that a mistake? Should I have stayed with the last version? I ask because the new portable stuff is visible in the media library and my iPod shows up there. The ml_iPod does not seem to be working.

On edit: I now see what I think is ml_iPod down below in a separate devices category. When I right click on a playlist and choose "send to", there are now 2 iPods listed. Probably because both 5.2 and ml_iPod are installed? I'll play with it and see if I can get it figured out.
Old 24th February 2006, 04:30   #112
drewbar
Sawg 2.0
Major Dude

Go to C:\Program Files\Winamp\Plugins

Delete or change the extension ml_pmp.dll (or pmp_ipod.dll).
Or there is the lazy way, uninstall and reinstall

Count with us!
Jan 1st, 12AM (PST, GMT -8) 2010 - 282,246
Old 24th February 2006, 04:32   #113
shepard

Are you saying that if I just change the "dll" of either one, that one won't be loaded when Winamp starts?
Old 24th February 2006, 05:04   #114
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Yes, something like that.
eg. close winamp, rename ml_pmp.dll to eg. ml_pmp.dll.off and pmp_ipod.dll to pmp_ipod.dll.off, then just continue to use ml_ipod as before.
Old 24th February 2006, 05:06   #115
osmosis
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by spin26
what if after installing winamp 5.2 without the new media library then install the old library dll that i copied from 5.13... will it work?
should work. if you don't want to mess with installers and installer options, you could just delete the media library and online services plugin dlls, and copy your old media library one in.

note that there were other updates to the media library so you will be losing some possibly beneficial changes.
Old 24th February 2006, 11:04   #116
Hanschke

where i can get the 473 build?
Old 24th February 2006, 11:50   #117
ATomCZ

And very uncomfortable is, that I move to another part of media library a return back to list of shoutcast radio, it lost last state, my last find result, or selected group.
Old 24th February 2006, 12:51   #118
borisfutbal

The only thing I use winamp for is listening to shoutcast and now it's a terrible interface (IMO). The genre list doesn't work and there are a significantly smaller number of choices... I'm just going to deinstall and reinstall the previous version.

When are you going to fix this and give us the choices back?
Old 24th February 2006, 15:39   #119
Elvis_1967

but it's soooo slow to open...

I'm sure all the above things are just wonderfull & my life will be so much better for Winamp having them but 5.2 takes a full minute to open from clicking the icon to the player appearing on my desktop.
I've timed it twice, the second time was after a reboot with nothing else running, it was still 60 seconds. I'm running Win2K with a 2.4Ghz processor & 1Ghz of RAM... I wish I could get the older version that fired up in a couple of seconds back.
Sorry guys but so far 5.2 is annoying the crap out of me... and I don't even use Shoutcast!
Old 24th February 2006, 16:04   #120
andyolinyk

Send a message via AIM to andyolinyk Send a message via Yahoo to andyolinyk
dude im impressed . great build release.looks great .i like new things and this is a fresh new break into 2006. it works great with the toaster plugin. befor it didn't quite work with the aol with xm streams but now it shows them . thats awesome. right on. kudos to the winamp team im happy
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion