Old 16th September 2009, 03:03   #1161
PlanetX

Watching "The Man Who Knew Too Much" (TCM)

I take everything with a grain of salt.

SOLACE RADIO: Talk Radio's red-headed stepchild | Join me at Facebook!
PlanetX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 08:04   #1162
rockouthippie
Banned

Which one? Both were pretty good movies. Here's the old 1934 one.

I'm sitting down to watch the latest episode of Warehouse 13. If you haven't caught this show yet, I think it's great fun. It's reminiscent of the X-files and the characters are quirky and interesting. I'm hooked
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 18:11   #1163
PlanetX

It was the one with Jimmy Stewart.

Old 18th September 2009, 02:42   #1164
rockouthippie
Banned

Doris Day was such a 1950's babe. Worth it just for that.
Old 18th September 2009, 02:49   #1165
PlanetX

I can remember going around, as a little girl, singing all her songs.

Old 23rd September 2009, 02:03   #1166
RockyRacoon

oddly enough, it was The Great Debaters.

good show!
RockyRacoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 04:34   #1167
PlanetX

Just finished watching the Hitchcock film Psycho, and it's still scary. I haven't seen it since I was a kid, with my most memorable Hitchcock movie being The Birds. I missed the first part of Psycho, though, and don't remember the first part of it, doggone it. I began watching when that motel guy was sinking the car into the pond...
Drats.

Old 23rd September 2009, 08:00   #1168
rockouthippie
Banned

Earth

If you can get past the gloom and doom message that accompanies all modern nature films and a predictable narration of James Earl Jones to the conclusion that everything will be extinct tomorrow unless you drive a Prius, this movie does have some fantastic photography.

Personally, I'd turn off the audio and listen to some music while I watched it and spare myself the "save the planet" garbage if I were to watch it again. It's really depressing.

3/10 for politically correct drooling.... 8/10 for photography.. Bluray required.

God! If a guy could just watch a nice nature film with pretty pictures BUT NEEEWW! It's gotta be an inconvenient truth revisited....
Old 23rd September 2009, 09:20   #1169
onlyican

just saw year one
funny stuff
onlyican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 01:44   #1170
rockouthippie
Banned

Children of the Corn

This movie draws an average rating at imdb, but it's a perfect example of 1984 horror movies and it's release in Bluray didn't hurt either. I haven't seen this movie in about 15 years and found it worth revisiting.

Village of the Damned

Not the most astonishing John Carpenter film but Christopher Reeve and a pre- Jenny Craig Kirstie Alley made a pretty good double feature with Children of the Corn.
Old 25th September 2009, 01:21   #1171
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
^That's quite a long memory lane there. I'll have to dig those out some day just for old times' sake. Corny as hell but interesting at the same time.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2009, 14:16   #1172
watchmovies

Quote:
Originally posted by laz
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King.
OH GOD is this movie awsome. I was in awe at its shear awsomeness the intire movie. Soo good, so amazingly awsome. 11 out to 10.
I am completely agree with you. Its awesome. I have seen this movie 9-10 time. It is excellent. All credit goes to maker of this film. Kudos to all...
watchmovies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2009, 09:17   #1173
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
It's been a bit, and I have been busy with Netflix.

I Love You, Man - First off I have to say that Jason Segel is still awesome, plus he isn't nude in this one. But I found this pretty funny. A lot of guy and physical humor, as well as boldly function jokes. There is that whole story and moral wraped in there, but it doesn't beat you over the head with it (I'm looking at you Knocked Up). Not too much to say about this one, but if you liked Forgetting Sarah Marshal then you will probably like this. 4 out of 5.

Big Trouble - Might not have heard about this one. A comedy movie (based on a Dave Barry book) that features both a bomb and a gun on a plane, originally scheduled for release on September 21, 2001. Timing not so much on their side. It was released with little advertisement and fanfare the next April. That being said, this also is a really funny movie. A pretty impressive cast plus it kept me laughing through almost all of it. Personally, I think it is worth checking out. A really funny movie that suffered from really shitty timing. Another 4 out of 5.

Knowing - Look, Nicholas Cage released another movie! Why do studios let him do that? It starts off as a decent sci-fi flick when a time capus from the 50s is unearthed and Cage's son gets a mysterious page full of numbers. He figures it out and it turns out it has predicrted all the nautral disasters and the end of the world (not a spoiler, that was in the damn trailer). Does Cage have to prebvent these disasters? Where does the note come from? Can he save the world? Does anyone actually care? This movie falls for the good idea, poor execution problem. The first half of the movie is good, suspenseful and mysterious. Then the movie explains what is going on, and there is just gets stupid and stupider. Also, I am sumhow susposed to belive that Nick Cage is a MIT professor? Really? The movie starts off well enough at a decent three and then takes a sharp turn to stupid, slamming into one. Going for the middle ground... 3 out of 5.

Finally, just returned yesterday:
Secretary - James Spader and a naked Maggie Gyllenhaal (not for all of it sadly). A self-mutilating and self-loathing woman goes to work for an egomainac lawyer. A S&M relationship forms, emtions get mixed, things get all fucked up for the both of them. It's a pretty emotional movie and it does in to multiple psychotic issues of both parties. Did I mentioned a totally nude Maggie Gyllenhaal? Worth seeing, I think. 4 out of 5.

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Sawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2009, 12:14   #1174
! 4Tex

Inglourious Basterds - What a great movie! Tarantion is a great director!
! 4Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2009, 21:09   #1175
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ I liked most of his movies. Cool
Cadillac Records
Bounce( yeah, I know) Knowles is no Etta, but the movie holds up.
Widdykats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 16:17   #1176
corey26

I just watched SuperBad again last night, which I think is still the funniest movie I have ever seen. I also recently saw AdventureLand which is also a really good flick.
corey26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2009, 17:18   #1177
treker1

The last movie I saw was Blast from the past - an excellent movie..
treker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2009, 20:32   #1178
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Quote:
Originally posted by Sawg
It's been a bit, and I have been busy with Netflix.

I Love You, Man - First off I have to say that Jason Segel is still awesome, plus he isn't nude in this one. But I found this pretty funny. A lot of guy and physical humor, as well as boldly function jokes. There is that whole story and moral wraped in there, but it doesn't beat you over the head with it (I'm looking at you Knocked Up). Not too much to say about this one, but if you liked Forgetting Sarah Marshal then you will probably like this. 4 out of 5.

Big Trouble - Might not have heard about this one. A comedy movie (based on a Dave Barry book) that features both a bomb and a gun on a plane, originally scheduled for release on September 21, 2001. Timing not so much on their side. It was released with little advertisement and fanfare the next April. That being said, this also is a really funny movie. A pretty impressive cast plus it kept me laughing through almost all of it. Personally, I think it is worth checking out. A really funny movie that suffered from really shitty timing. Another 4 out of 5.

Knowing - Look, Nicholas Cage released another movie! Why do studios let him do that? It starts off as a decent sci-fi flick when a time capus from the 50s is unearthed and Cage's son gets a mysterious page full of numbers. He figures it out and it turns out it has predicrted all the nautral disasters and the end of the world (not a spoiler, that was in the damn trailer). Does Cage have to prebvent these disasters? Where does the note come from? Can he save the world? Does anyone actually care? This movie falls for the good idea, poor execution problem. The first half of the movie is good, suspenseful and mysterious. Then the movie explains what is going on, and there is just gets stupid and stupider. Also, I am sumhow susposed to belive that Nick Cage is a MIT professor? Really? The movie starts off well enough at a decent three and then takes a sharp turn to stupid, slamming into one. Going for the middle ground... 3 out of 5.

Finally, just returned yesterday:
Secretary - James Spader and a naked Maggie Gyllenhaal (not for all of it sadly). A self-mutilating and self-loathing woman goes to work for an egomainac lawyer. A S&M relationship forms, emtions get mixed, things get all fucked up for the both of them. It's a pretty emotional movie and it does in to multiple psychotic issues of both parties. Did I mentioned a totally nude Maggie Gyllenhaal? Worth seeing, I think. 4 out of 5.
I loved Secretary. It was so twisted. It's why they make indies.
Old 2nd October 2009, 12:58   #1179
rockouthippie
Banned

Motel Hell

Motel Hell is the just about worst movie ever made. It might even be as bad as Ed Wood films. If not, it's close. I remember watching it at the drive-in back in 1980.

It's so bad, so camp and so You'll love it!

My rent by mail selections this week included the Blu-Ray Bourne Trilogy. Suprisingly, I never saw any of them, maybe because Matt Damon looks like a dork and I didn't want to ruin the novels. He still looks like a dork. It's not as good as the Robert Ludlum novels. I've seen "Identity" and "Supremacy". Waiting a couple days on "Ultimatum"

7 or 8/10

Duplicity

Trite, smarm, awkward, lumbering plot line that could have been clever but comes off sorta ailing. Made me look at my watch a lot.

Quote:
Originally posted by ! 4Tex
Inglourious Basterds - What a great movie! Tarantion is a great director!
I'm not a big Tarentino fan. If you are entertained by his predelection for extreme and almost ridiculous violence, you should like this film. I thought the plot was pretty thin. I liked Pulp Fiction, after Kill Bill I think I got bored.

Inglorious Basterds gets a "meh"... Rent it later....

Quote:
Originally posted by Widdykats
Quarantine
Well, if you like the shaky; faux documentary thing this is for you. It's not badly done and it has some truly scary moments. But the it is predictable..still it's on STARZ this month...
For an indy film, I thought this was surprisingly well done. Reminded me of Blair Witch. It jumped on the same hand held look fad bandwagon as a lot of films after Blair Witch. Given that, it's one of the better offerings in the fad. I like to see stuff like this that's obviously budget, but still worth it. I'll be tired of the mockumentary thing next time I see one, so no one should ever do this again. Quarantine gets away with it.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 2nd October 2009 at 14:09.
Old 2nd October 2009, 21:17   #1180
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Rocket Science

Very good little movie *See Review*
@ROH: Yeah, I liked Quarentine. The end was creepy as hell. Which is what it should be.....
Old 10th October 2009, 10:07   #1181
rockouthippie
Banned

ihave been renting Season 7 of 24. 24 leaves me with mixed feelings always. I really liked Season 1. I think Kiefer Sutherland freaking out all the time gets a little old. He sure isn't his dad.

The writings a little stupid. The characters always spend a lot of time arguing about nothing. To torture dude or not?

I say get out the electric nipple clamps amd get on with the story
Old 23rd October 2009, 15:24   #1182
NJK
Frisian Spamfighting Mod

The boat that rocks

Each Thursday a new show on Celtica Radio with Darkwave music.
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2009, 07:56   #1183
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
Well, back on the obscure Sci-Fi filler on Netflix, which brings up two movies:

Code 46 - Future dystopia, cloning is big, light is bad, people lives in restricted cities and the outside world is slums for the genetically impure. Code 46 refers basically to inbreeding, and with cloning technology and all, it is hard to know if you are genetically related to someone or not. Guy goes on a business trip, falls for a woman, turns out to be from the same clone batch as his mother. An odd concept really, but an interesting movie that I enjoyed. A bit hard to follow at times, but the story kept me interested though most of it. A pretty decent movie, but far form amazing, but maybe worth checking out. 3 out of 5.

The Gene Generation - This one shares similar concepts with genetic manipulation and the genetically pure being allowed into the safety of cities and genetic manipulation outlawed. Though is leads to "gene hackers." This has Ling Bai as a hired assassin, and also features her in gratuitous leather outfits (a popular genre with me) and a topless scene. Plus oddly featuring the Medical Examiner form CSI: Vegas. But there is more to this movie then Ling Bai's tits, it is pretty entertaining and features some fun action scenes. It features some beautiful choreographed fight scenes where Ling Bai 's character (Michelle) is just mowing baddies down. The overall story is decent, but not all that captivating, and I found myself confused a few times. Not bad, but not something to go out of the way for, another 3 out of 5.

And I finally made it to the theater to see...
Zombieland - I was a little worried this movie might have just been a romantic comedy with zombies in it. While the pairing was the one of the main points, the pairing of Columbus and Wichita didn't seem to take over the movie. Columbus's "Rules for Surviving Zombieland" and Woody Harrelson's (Tallahassee) managed to be comedy gold. Though if you are really into zombies, they are pretty much a background character and don't play a major part until the end. The movie is mostly about the interactions and development of the characters. Add that to the cameo I dare not spoil (though plenty of professional reviewers have) was excellent. Add the fact the Comedy Zombie genre is limited to this and "Shaun of the Dead" is has a semi-unique basis. As it stands so far, it might be the best comedy of the year. 4.5 out of 5. (I usually avoid half starts, but it was amazing, just not quite perfect).

Old 26th October 2009, 08:10   #1184
jeffersonrob

I watched 'Faster Pussy Cat Kill! kill!' and it was pretty bad. Proper American Trash movie really.
Tonight I am going to see Blue Velvet at the cinema though, seen it a hundred times before but I love it. Will be interesting to see it on the big screen.
jeffersonrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 07:20   #1185
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
But there is more to this movie then Ling Bai's tits
But hell, that sure don't hurt an otherwise fun movie.

http://retrovision*****freevideo/horror-hotel-1960/

Try Horror Hotel for a little Halloween fun
Old 28th October 2009, 13:40   #1186
jeffersonrob

Also, not quite a film but almost as good as, I have been watching Twin Peaks recentley. It's so so good and each episode feels like a mini Lynch movie...
jeffersonrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2009, 19:04   #1187
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

I loved Twin Peaks..
But I'm a House and TrueBlood junkie, now. TrueBlood is tacky and fun. I fit right in.
Old 4th November 2009, 18:20   #1188
rockouthippie
Banned

I just finished watching the new V miniseries pilot. I thought that when you re-imagined something, it required reimagining. Dull.

The really stupid thing is that we get the first 4 episodes in November and have to wait until March to see the last 9.
Old 5th November 2009, 10:54   #1189
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^You have cable, no? Ya' ever watch True Blood? It's addictive. I'm in love with the shape shifter, Sam.♥
Now that the World Series is over, House will be back on Fox.
Old 5th November 2009, 11:26   #1190
rockouthippie
Banned

True Blood. nope. no cable. netflix. Will look for that on DVD.

Hulu posted the Sergio Leone spaghetti western films with Clint Eastwood and Lee VanCleef. Fist full of dollars, For a few dollars more, The Good, the bad and the ugly...

Been watching Clint Eastwood and VanCleef blast the bad guys to Ernio Morricone music. How can a guy go wrong?

http://retrovision*****movies/clint-eastwood/
Old 5th November 2009, 11:50   #1191
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ Lee Van Cliff is a way cool bad guy!
Old 5th November 2009, 12:05   #1192
rockouthippie
Banned

VanCleef is THE cool western gunfighter. He did make some movies that really sucked though. I guess ya gotta eat.

John Wayne and VanCleef made "The Conqueror" which is infamous as one of the biggest high budget klinkers ever. It's so bad, you just don't know what to do.

There are other examples. Here's one:

http://retrovision*****freevideo/master-max-1980/

VanCleef, Timmy VanPatten and Demi Moore. OMG! If you play it, you'll need something to take the stink out of the room.
Old 5th November 2009, 12:19   #1193
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Awful is too polite a word!
Old 5th November 2009, 19:09   #1194
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

I'm rewatching The Usual Suspects! This movie is just great fun with great dialogue.
Todd Hockney(Kevin Pollak):
[in interrogation room]
Interrogation Cop: You know what happens if you do another turn in the joint?
Hockney: Fuck your father in the shower and then have a snack? Are you going to charge me dickhead?

The Usual Suspects
Old 6th November 2009, 07:36   #1195
Sawg
Forum King

Sometimes a movie is all about perspective of how you watch it. I have heard good reviews of this movie and some really horrible reviews as well. Seemed a little off, but a few minutes in I now get why. So a quick review of the same movie twice: Crank 2: High Voltage.

Crank 2: High Voltage (The Action Movie) - The studio calls this an action movie and so does Netflix, so lets start there. A dumb concept that is way over played with the mechanical hart that needs to be charged by shocking the crap out of one's self. So the entire movie is pretty much Chev (Statham) running around trying to find out who stole his heart (after surviving falling out of a helicopter). Basically fast scenes of him either kickign someone's ass or shocking himself, or both at the same time. While over-the-top action can be quite entertaining, it can also get dump if poorly planed and ventures too far outside of the realms of reality. Throw in a couple annoying supporting characters (such as Bai Ling). It's hard to take either the plot, action or even characters seriously. One out of Five.

That being said, a few minutes into the movie (honestly after the opening "News Report" I saw how to really interpret this movie....

Crank 2: High Voltage (The Comedy Movie) - Though I am not sure if it was intended to be this way, Crank 2 feels like Jason Statham doing a parody of Jason Statham movies. Even at one a point a witness in a "news report" saying Chev looked like the guy from those Transporter movies. The movie is so over the top of the gratuitous violence and improbable physics it is near impossible not to laugh. Every character in this movie plays their role in an action move to the extreme which gets to be quite silly fun. There is one scene near the end, the "Godzilla Scene" that I found myself laughing nonstop though out. If you liked Shoot 'em Up and the Action Comedy type movies, if you watch Crank 2 as a comedy you will probably get the same vibe. Being comedy gold, though I don't think intended that way I have to give it a Four out of Five.

Old 6th November 2009, 19:40   #1196
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ Good review skills!
Old 7th November 2009, 08:32   #1197
Sawg
Forum King

Why, thanks.

Old 7th November 2009, 10:01   #1198
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^Welcome!
In Bruges
Worth the watch, well acted, not contrived and just interesting.
Old 7th November 2009, 23:40   #1199
rockouthippie
Banned

The Taking of Pelham 123

This is a 2009 remake of the 4.5 star 1974 movie of the same name starring Walter Matthau. John Travolta is usually good at playing a psycho killer, but he's a little lost in this script. Denzel Washington stumbles through a pretty lackluster performance as the train dispatcher.

Most of the movie varies little from the original Pelham movie and where it does, it's not as good. The cinematography is reminiscent of a Tarentino film, but since it isn't one, the effect is almost annoying. The reimagined end of the film borders on stupid, but could be considered boring if you felt like being kind.

2 stars
Old 9th November 2009, 09:31   #1200
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Kalifornia(with a K)
Well worth a watch.
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Community Center > Movies and Television