Old 30th July 2004, 07:07   #1
Viper007Bond
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Viper007Bond Send a message via AIM to Viper007Bond Send a message via Yahoo to Viper007Bond
Partioning suggestions?

I just bought parts for a new computer today and will be putting one of my hard drives from this rig (an 80 GB IDE that currently has Windows + Program Files on it) into the new machine plus a new 250 GB SATA.

I want to reformat as it's been 2 years since this OS was installed, so I was thinking of just moving the entire 80 GB contents to the 250 GB so I could pull off what I needed. I'd then format the 80 and install Windows, Program Files, and such on it.

Now I don't know how I want to set up the 80 partion wise. Just 1 large drive or shall I do Program Files and Windows on seperate partitions? I'm thinking that'd make it easier to reformat Windows.

My other problem is that the SATA is the faster drive and it would make sense to use that for the primary drive for faster game load times and such, but is it really that much faster? I'd like to have the 250 as one large drive for files...

Comments plz. Oh, and I can post the system specs if it matters.

--------------------------------------------------

On a side note, I'll be formatting a 120 GB IDE for my sister's new computer. Same kinda question for that one, but I assume I should either have 2 partions (Windows/Prog File for one, other files on the other) or 3 partions (Windows on one, Prog Files on another, and other files on the third). What do you suggest?

- Viper007Bond | Viper007Bond.com
Viper007Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2004, 07:33   #2
drewbar
Sawg 2.0
Major Dude

I would use the big one just for data. Especially if you are handling a lot of video and large files, it would make a difference. I don't think it would make that much of a difference in the speed for normal applications. Unless you have some LARGE applications.

If you want to be anal, create a small partition for Documents and Settings, the Cache file and Temp folder on the 250. (10 gigs-ish).

And probably would be fine keeping Windows\ and Program Files\ on the same partition, with the registry and DLL stuff, if you have to format and reinstall the OS you will have to reinstall most Program Files too.

Edit:
For sis, I would say two partitions. 40 System / 80 data would be good, probably do less with the System too, depending on if she is a gamer or likes large apps. Hell, a 20/100 might be perfectly fine.

Count with us!
Jan 1st, 12AM (PST, GMT -8) 2010 - 282,246
drewbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2004, 08:10   #3
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

If the 80gb drive only has a 2mb cache, the 250gb sata drive (with all that i've seen having an 8mb cache) will be a bit faster. Not that much faster, but enough that it should be noticable.

Having your program files on a seperate partition isnt worthwhile.

The only time it's faster is if the partition with windows is fragmented and the program files partition isnt. As has already been stated, it doesnt make reinstalling windows any faster either, since you'll have to reinstall all those programs anyway.

Having your program files on a different drive can be a little faster. A workstation running disk intensive applications can benefit from having the OS on one drive, the programs on another, the data being created/edited on another drive, and the scratch/page file on another. Having one fast and one slower drive thrown into the mix would probably slow things down though, it would be more benefficial to have everything on the faster drive.

My suggestion for a general use pc is to have one small (5gb is heaps) partition at the start of the fastest drive (in this case the 250gb) for the swap/page file, then a partition large enough for windows + program files. If you create a partition 2-3 times larger than the ammount of space you currently use for that data, you shouldnt have to resise partitions for quite some time.

Assuming there's enough space left over on the 250gb, create another partition for documents, music, movies, downloads etc.

Use the smaller, slower drive for regular backups.

If you were to add a second SATA drive as fast as the one you have, then installing programs and storing data being worked with on that may speed things up a little. However, you could probably run them in a RAID0 array, which would probably be faster again.

My own setup comprises of a 320gb SATA RAID0 array with 5gb for the swap file, 180gb for windows and program files, with the remaining space for work data. I then have an 80gb 8mb cache drive for documents, music, movies and downloads, and a 60gb 2mb cache drive for backups. I spent a long time messing with different configurations, and have found that to be the fastest setup for myself anyway.
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2004, 08:11   #4
Lapikas
Major Dude

I like small partitions. My own setup as an example:
-7 gb for windows and program files
-25 gb for music
-5 for linux
-15 for games
-and the rest for 'my documents', that is full of videos, downloaded programs and stuff that just waits for getting burned to cd/dvd..

total: 80 gb

So if one partition is borked for some reason, I wouldn't lose too much stuff. I'm not sure if that could happen, but still. Everything is also nicely organised..

The requested SIG could not be retrieved
Lapikas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2004, 21:45   #5
xzxzzx
Forum King

I'd suggest using one partition per drive, unless you're installing linux or something. True, it's nice to be able to organize things by partition, but that's what FOLDERS were invented for.

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
The DMCA. It really is that bad. : Count for your life.
xzxzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2004, 22:15   #6
General Geoff
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to General Geoff Send a message via AIM to General Geoff
I typically like to keep one partition per drive, or in my case, array. I have one big 220GB partition that takes up my entire RAID-0 array, and I simply use directories to organize. It's true that it can be helpful to put Windows on its own partition, but I'm not going to do that until I have an extra drive with which to back up my media.

General Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2004, 09:01   #7
Viper007Bond
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Viper007Bond Send a message via AIM to Viper007Bond Send a message via Yahoo to Viper007Bond
Sorry, forgot to state my intentions: I want this device to OWN at gaming as much as it can. I don't mind music/videos/whatever loading slow - I just want minimal game lag.

I have no idea about the 80 - it came with this Dell. I'd like to use it as Windows & Program Files and then the 250 for files (so I can have all my files on one drive), but I've been told that SATA really makes a difference and if that's true, then I should probably use the SATA as my primary and like partition it to 2 "drives".

As for my sister, it's a 120 GB that's in this computer right now that I'm going to format for her. She wants to be able to game, but never plays online which means that lag isn't as big of an issue. She still wants it to rock too though. However, I don't see her installing a ton of games (probably only like a 1/2 doezen) or having a ton of MP3s, so the 40/80 sounds good.

Thanks for the input and hopefully you guys can help me pick which drive should be my C: (i.e. tell me if SATA is really that much better and whether I will see any improvement in my games by using it as a primary).

[edit] Oh, and I'm starting fresh, so fragmentation won't be an issue. [/edit]

Old 3rd August 2004, 19:37   #8
Viper007Bond
Major Dude

May have a solution: I'm working on selling this 80 GB IDE to my dad as he needs the space and then I'll just buy this:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...144-160&depa=0

Bwah ha ha!

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions