(Senior Member)

what is the better firewall

sygate or zonealarm? Thanks

TheMilhouseMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2005, 15:49   #2
xzxzzx
Forum King

Zonealarm.

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
The DMCA. It really is that bad. : Count for your life.
xzxzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2005, 15:52   #3
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

I've only ever used Zonealarm.
As a matter of fact, I think I'm going to buy the pro version.
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2005, 16:04   #4
Evil Lu
Forum Maitresse

They're both utterly shite in my opinion, hardware firewalls are the way to go. http://zelow.no/floppyfw/ has a nice example, I used that for many years.
If you're using a NAT-enabled router you don't need a firewall anyhow.
Evil Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2005, 16:10   #5
MagnumOne
Banned

I've been running ZA Pro since it first came out..It's another software wall with stealthing capbilities. I believe as far as software walls go, it's one of the best.

I also run it behind a hardware wall.. D-Link, I've owned other hardware wall/routers as well...I have also tried countless firewalls, experimenting...

My systems have never been compromised. ZA Pro runs me around $20.00 a year, it also has some other great features the privacy control and cache cleaner are excellent additives.

So...I would recommend ZA Pro..Easy to config,nice package and as software walls go..I've found it to be tops...

I guess being on the net for years and years and not having a hack issue is pretty good reason to go with what seems to be working..
MagnumOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2005, 16:21   #6
MagnumOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by ElChevelle
I've only ever used Zonealarm.
As a matter of fact, I think I'm going to buy the pro version.
You won't be dissed with the Pro version..Has alot of lil extras that come with it... The quickest cache cleaner I've ever encountered and a great cookie eliminator for unwanted cookies..Also allows you to file the ones you do want to keep very easily...

Anti Virus reminder, all kinds of neat lil extras...
Old 19th June 2005, 16:34   #7
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
I used to use kerio but it fux0red samba, now i'm back to zone alarm.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2005, 16:40   #8
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

Software firewalls don't do anything more than snake oil deos. We just had this conversation.

elevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladylevitateme
shakey_snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2005, 16:46   #9
MagnumOne
Banned

Millhouse...??

I hve three routers/hardware walls... Two I am not using...

DO YOU HAVE A DSL OR CABLE CONNECT..??

If you give me your addy I will email you mine....)Send it to me in my messenger here at WAF..

I will send you the linksys BEFSR41 Router...It's just sitting here gathering dust anyways..

You will have to go to the Linksys site to update the hardware..

It works great, very fast..I just wanted to try the D-Link out with the printer port..

This is my newest..

This is the Linksys you can have if you like...

Old 19th June 2005, 17:25   #10
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

Try BlackIce

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Warrior of the Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2005, 18:00   #11
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

ZA pro nows comes bundled with anonymizer (spyware blocker).
It's the way I'm going.
Old 19th June 2005, 18:43   #12
S-uper_T-oast
Forum King

Right now I'm just using the one built into my netgear router, but I'm in the process of building my own hardware one, but we've hit a little finacial snag... meaning I'm broke.
S-uper_T-oast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2005, 18:58   #13
MagnumOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by ElChevelle
ZA pro nows comes bundled with anonymizer (spyware blocker).
It's the way I'm going.
I have always been a big fan of ZAP..As I said earlier..

The spyware blocker works excellent in it.. It does leave a few behind that my Webroots finds. Don't know if ZA just doesn't update as quick as Webroot or what it is..

The Webroot grabs em all at the door..Updated defs are available almost everyday..As quick as someone brings em out..Webroot has got it in file...

Old 19th June 2005, 20:10   #14
Smeggle
Just Strolling By
(Major Dude)

shit - thats that supposedly anti spy prog from Kerio - that thing is crap - loads tool bars to i.e., connects to the internet on it's own - it drove my za firewall nuts.
Kerio firewall is good for the more technical user but you have to be really careful with settings as it interferes with normal system commands. It will block say notepad from opening if you set it wrong or wordpad, so it's a fairly intensive solution to use.

On the other hand, I've used za now going on 3-4 years and have yet to be bothered by anything. In fact, za was the only firewall that blocked the worm invasion. SoBIGF and the lovebug. It was the only solution that blocked them where all others failed. Thats gotta say something IMHO. sobig was even getting past a lot of the hardware firewalls as well.

Currentlty I'm testing the new beta version of AVG's firewall. Seems to be working fine, though it doesn't have user control options so I'm gonna switch back to za with AVG Anti Virus.
That combo along with ad-aware and spybot has kept me safe now for like I say 3-4 years but I also use 'History Kill' which is quite aggressive ay cleaning your hidden caches. The 2005 version even cleans Firefox as well. It's a good prog and if you use i.e. I'd definately recommend it.

Music is Life, Love and Happiness :|: Life is Music. Serren - 1985 - 2005
Religion? Religion is a Blasphemy against humanity - From the film What the Bleep do we know

siggy link So stumbling? whats it all about
Smeggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2005, 21:52   #15
MagnumOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Smeggle
shit - thats that supposedly anti spy prog from Kerio - that thing is crap - loads tool bars to i.e., connects to the internet on it's own - it drove my za firewall nuts.
Kerio firewall is good for the more technical user but you have to be really careful with settings as it interferes with normal system commands. It will block say notepad from opening if you set it wrong or wordpad, so it's a fairly intensive solution to use.

On the other hand, I've used za now going on 3-4 years and have yet to be bothered by anything. In fact, za was the only firewall that blocked the worm invasion. SoBIGF and the lovebug. It was the only solution that blocked them where all others failed. Thats gotta say something IMHO. sobig was even getting past a lot of the hardware firewalls as well.

Currentlty I'm testing the new beta version of AVG's firewall. Seems to be working fine, though it doesn't have user control options so I'm gonna switch back to za with AVG Anti Virus.
That combo along with ad-aware and spybot has kept me safe now for like I say 3-4 years but I also use 'History Kill' which is quite aggressive ay cleaning your hidden caches. The 2005 version even cleans Firefox as well. It's a good prog and if you use i.e. I'd definately recommend it.
Are you talking about the Webroots Spy Sweeper....??

I've been using it for quite a while now....Without any concerns at all...Stops the headaches at the door..Kicks them out..Works Perfectly the way it's supposed to.. LOL!!

Definately does not load anything to my browsers...Or anything other than I choose to have running..Or configured..

You say it's owned by Kerio.... ?????
Old 19th June 2005, 23:23   #16
Evil Lu
Forum Maitresse

Why do any of you think a software firewall is good? It bloody well is not. Stop it now please.
Evil Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2005, 23:44   #17
MaTTFURY
Major Dude

SELinux the firewall, always does well (if you use linux)

i am not normal, no really.
MaTTFURY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2005, 23:55   #18
Smeggle
Just Strolling By
(Major Dude)

Quote:
Originally posted by mrs_squid
Why do any of you think a software firewall is good? It bloody well is not. Stop it now please.
em no -and there as reasonably good as a hardware firewall - if someone wants to get in they will get in. (.box.sk anyone? )
And if your hardware firewalls are so good - Why is it they never stopped the Internet Worm Invasion a couple of years back?

Oh wait there was a firewall that did - Zone Alarm (And it was the only one that did!). Point is unless you use a 'Process Monitor' to monitor Registry activity as supplied with Spybot(it's basic but works reasonably well) or the more advanced tools like 'Hacker Eliminator' then your still at risk be it with a software or hardware firewall.

@magnumone - nah I got spy sweeper over at Kerio when I was testing there latest incarnation of Firewall solutions last month. It loaded (Or tried to) A tool bar to i.e., BHO, and also launched i.e. twice during install. All instances of this were blocked manually by me via my 'Process Monitor'. That certainly looks like the same prog you have there. Whilst it may work well for yourself, I can only say what I found. Plus it never caught my three test files that I purposly installed (Ad-Aware even miss's one of these - but good old reliable Spybot does the job).
One thing I found out recently is that these groups are now removing certain apps/spyware from there detections. Ostensibly it's because these companies have supposedly 'Cleaned up' there act. They are not going to inform you that this has happened. Spybot as far as I know are not following this option and will remain blocking the garbage. Also remember that all these companies are following on from Spybot and I wouldn't touch a commercial one such as spysweeper. Spybot does it for free, well they ask for donations (Please do!), so in that sence I have a lot more trust in someone who will try there best to protect me with decent software wether or not I pay him anything.

Music is Life, Love and Happiness :|: Life is Music. Serren - 1985 - 2005
Religion? Religion is a Blasphemy against humanity - From the film What the Bleep do we know

siggy link So stumbling? whats it all about
Smeggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2005, 01:38   #19
MagnumOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Smeggle
@magnumone - nah I got spy sweeper over at Kerio when I was testing there latest incarnation of Firewall solutions last month. It loaded (Or tried to) A tool bar to i.e., BHO, and also launched i.e. twice during install. All instances of this were blocked manually by me via my 'Process Monitor'. That certainly looks like the same prog you have there. Whilst it may work well for yourself, I can only say what I found.
Really....

Well....I've never had one headache with it... I think I've owned it about 1 1/2 years now..

I still run adaware..Although it's just for a comparison issue..If Adaware grabs it the Webroots usually already has it quarantined..

Good luck in your beta's...
Old 20th June 2005, 02:01   #20
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

Ad-aware has sold out to spyware companies.
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....09#post1701309

Old 20th June 2005, 02:03   #21
drewbar
Sawg 2.0
Major Dude

Linksys router for a hardware firewall and Kerio 2 for a software firewall to watch things that try to go out.

No fulltime virus scanner or spyware scanner. No issues, ever.

Count with us!
Jan 1st, 12AM (PST, GMT -8) 2010 - 282,246
drewbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2005, 03:06   #22
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally posted by mrs_squid
Stop it now please.
Ermmm, no.
Old 20th June 2005, 03:46   #23
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by shakey_snake
Software firewalls don't do anything more than snake oil deos. We just had this conversation.
Bullshit. Utter bullshit.

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
Old 20th June 2005, 04:17   #24
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

[sarcasm]
Yes, software firewalls do absolutely nothing at all.

They certainly dont:

Add a second line of defence for incoming packets.
Allow filtering of outgoing packets.
Allow filtering of packets incoming from the local network.

Also, if you're not running a hardware firewall, remember that no protection at all is always better than some!
[/sarcasm]

Seriously, if you dont like them, or if you think they're useless that's fine. You're entitled to your own opinion. But making a blanket statement (based on your opinion) that they're useless is just wrong.

By the way, Ipcop + kerio has served me well for the last few years.
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2005, 04:36   #25
General Geoff
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to General Geoff Send a message via AIM to General Geoff
Using a software firewall is like wearing a bullet-proof vest. Yes it's a form of protection, but not nearly as good as sitting in a concrete bunker (which would be a hardware firewall).

General Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2005, 05:29   #26
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

Quote:
Originally posted by Atmo
Add a second line of defence for incoming packets.
Allow filtering of outgoing packets.
Allow filtering of packets incoming from the local network.
In the six months that I used Kerio (without my router) I never had it alert me of incoming packets that wasn't from a prog I was running.
Filtering outgoing packets is like checking luggage for bombs after they get off the plane.
I can see how it might be useful on a big unsafe intranet, but then if your intranet is unsafe, you've got much bigger issues.

Quote:
Originally posted by General Geoff
Using a software firewall is like wearing a bullet-proof vest. Yes it's a form of protection, but not nearly as good as sitting in a concrete bunker (which would be a hardware firewall).
I'd say that it's more like using a wizinator. You may get someone to think that it's your penis, but that doesn't mean you're not on drugs.

Old 20th June 2005, 05:49   #27
S-uper_T-oast
Forum King

Quote:
I'd say that it's more like using a wizinator. You may get someone to think that it's your penis, but that doesn't mean you're not on drugs.
random analogy...
S-uper_T-oast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2005, 06:12   #28
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Quote:
In the six months that I used Kerio (without my router) I never had it alert me of incoming packets that wasn't from a prog I was running.
Good. It shows your router was doing it's job properly. But are you 100% certain that a vulnerability will never be found in your router/firewall and those you use in the future? If not, a software firewall makes a good backup, just incase.

Quote:
Filtering outgoing packets is like checking luggage for bombs after they get off the plane.
I dissagree. In the case of trojans/spyware it's not until you're infected and it tries to call home that the firewall will pick up on it, but if you can prevent the data being sent back, the damage is often a lot less than it could have been. If it prevents someone getting their hands on your banking/credit card details, or some other personal information, it's worthwhile in my opinion.

As for your analogy, i see it more like disarming the bomb while it's on the plane.

Quote:
I can see how it might be useful on a big unsafe intranet, but then if your intranet is unsafe, you've got much bigger issues.
Most of the school/buisness networks i've seen are though.
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2005, 17:53   #29
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Atmo
Most of the school/buisness networks i've seen are though.
Not to mention wireless LANs...

Old 20th June 2005, 18:40   #30
TheMilhouseMan
The Weird One
(Senior Member)

Re: Millhouse...??

I actually have the router. I use to be hooked up on a lan with a couple of computers when i lived at my parents house...I may have to hook that back up. Thanks for the offer, but offer it to someone else that would need it since i have one. It was really nice for a perfect stranger to offer something for free. Winamp members are the best.

Quote:
Originally posted by MagnumOne
I hve three routers/hardware walls... Two I am not using...

DO YOU HAVE A DSL OR CABLE CONNECT..??

If you give me your addy I will email you mine....)Send it to me in my messenger here at WAF..

I will send you the linksys BEFSR41 Router...It's just sitting here gathering dust anyways..

You will have to go to the Linksys site to update the hardware..

It works great, very fast..I just wanted to try the D-Link out with the printer port..

This is my newest..

[Image]

This is the Linksys you can have if you like...

[Image]

TheMilhouseMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2005, 19:08   #31
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

I've used sygate for along time now. I don't like ZA's UI.

I'm also behind a router but I mainly use the SW FW for outgoing filtering.

"We think science is interesting and if you disagree, you can fuck off."
fwgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions