Old 16th April 2008, 11:00   #1
kgbvsgru

ML_Impex help!

OK I have read quite a few threads in regard to this plugin, but none have aided in my problem.

I got a new PC a few days ago, Raptor 150GB C: drive and a 500GB E: drive. I want to put music on the E: drive so it doesnt clutter my games/apps drive.

My old PC had a single 120GB C: drive, where Winamp and my music was kept.

I downloaded ML_Impex, and after re-organising my library using ML_Org, exported an .xml database.

I copied the mp3s from the old PC to the new one (E:/Music).

I installed Winamp on the new PC (C:/Program Files), installed ML_Impex. Restarted Winamp as directed.

I edited the Location Path of all the entries in the xml database from
Quote:
file://localhost/C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%20Documents/My%20Music/etc
to
Quote:
file://localhost/E:/Music/etc
Saved a copy of this in the Winamp/Lang folder.

Opened up Winamp, went to Library > Import Database > Winamp/Lang/library2.xml hit OK and Vista tells me the program has stopped working. It does show a small dialog box which says 'Importing XML Playlist', but it doesnn't appear to be doing anything.

So, any ideas as to what it might be? Is it the fact that I am trying to open a database that is on a different drive to the one Winamp is located in, or am I editing the XML entries wrong?

Any help would be appreciated - I really wanna get Winamp working on the new PC and be able to keep my play counts and ratings.

Thanks in advance!
kgbvsgru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2008, 13:17   #2
kgbvsgru

Thinking out loud here:

Could this work?

1) Remove Winamp from the new PC
2) Copy the OLD Winamp folder across from the old PC to the new one (preserving the original database..)
3) Move my music to the same direc path that the old files were in
4) This should theoretically let me play all the tracks on the new PC..
5) Use ML_Organizer to Organise them using a new base path (E:/Music as I want it to)

Hmm gonna give it a try, i'll post how I go.
Old 16th April 2008, 13:24   #3
kgbvsgru

Well that failed - Vista won't let me create the path through C: instead it re-routes it through the 'Users' folder. boo.
Old 17th April 2008, 02:30   #4
kgbvsgru

anyone?
Old 17th April 2008, 04:26   #5
kgbvsgru

Well to quad-post - problem fixed. Kept the music in E:/, uninstalled Winamp. Copied the OLD version over to new PC's C drive, and THEN generated a database and exported it from the new PC, not the old one (which I think was causing the problem), changing the file paths as necessary using find/replace tool in WORDPAD not MS WORD (which may or may not have been the problem i'll never know). Imported the edited .xml file and for once Winamp didn't crash. All is working well and the good thing is my Smart Views and all ML preferences have been kept in tact because I copied over instead of installing a fresh version.

Hope this helps others having the same problem.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support