Old 15th September 2008, 15:06   #1
papaschtroumpf

music on network drive: can't connect

My music and video database (over 40G) won't fit on my laptop, instead it's on a server in my basement.

At first I tried using a UNC name for the media location (\\server\drive\music)but when scanning for music, winamp only found a few songs out of the thousands it should have found.
I found some posts on the 'net that suggested mapping a network drive: this seems to work, winamp now finds my entire music libray.

But windows is not cooperating: I'm on a wireless network, so it takes a few seconds at boot for the network to come up, and windows complains that it couldn't access the network drive, and winamp can't get to the music.

One could argue that this is a well known window problem, but the fact that winamp can't seem to be able to deal with UNC paths prevents the usual solution to the mapped network drives from working.
papaschtroumpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2008, 16:20   #2
ujay
Forum King

Maybe I'm not understanding what you are trying to do here.

I've always used a laptop to access files on a different machine without(much) problem.

All I've ever done is put both machines in the same workgroup and share the relevant folders.
Files on the other machine are accessed through 'My Network Places', that should appear whenever you use an Open files/folder window.

The main gottcha here is if you create Playlists on the 'server' machine(with local addresses) that are later transferred to the laptop(that requires network addresses).
i.e. transferable playlists need to be made on one of the network machines.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support