Old 5th September 2007, 14:33   #1
Eagle Creek

Docking problem with dual monitor

Dear reader,

I'm using 5.35, Windows XP Pro.

The problem is this:
Recently I discovered Winamp's docking feature (modern skin, menu, window settings, docked toolbar). The problem is that it always tries to dock on my primary monitor, while I want to have it docked onto my secondary monitor.

So what I usually do is open the program to my second monitor and perform the action I want to do, eg, maximize the Window. When I'm at the second monitor and I tell Winamp to dock, he goes to my first monitor.
(Also: docking to the left or right are gray and not clickable. Not that I want to do dock it at those positions but it's a little bit more info (however docking on the right side of my second screen would be nice also)).

Please advice .

EDIT: When Winamp is dockted into the first monitor, it still displays my Winamp taskbar icon on my second window (I use ultramon for a double taskbar). I can't minimze to hide the button either).

The best way to kill malware,
is to kill it together.
http://www.nucia.eu/
Eagle Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2007, 14:36   #2
Eagle Creek

Anyone got an idea ?

is to kill it together.
Old 30th October 2007, 10:29   #3
koesper

I also have the same symptoms, I am using winamp 5.5

better dual screen support would be really nice!
koesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2007, 22:19   #4
AhoyThere

Hi there.

I am running two monitors with ultramon. The secondary monitor, which I run winamp on, has a smaller resolution than the main monitor. I upgraded to the new winamp recently, and was using the bento skin. I found that while the media library (ie all that bottom stuff) is hidden I can maximize it and it will stay on the right monitor. When I try to open the media library it always jumps and maximizes itself to the main monitor. This is really weird, because it didn't do that when I first installed the skin, but a few days later it started doing that. I didn't change any settings that I'm aware of, but I did use winamp normally. I tried messing with the Bento's window sizing settings but nothing helped.

Also, this happens when winamp is "maximized" and I try to open the media library. If it is "minimized" but stretched to the same size it seems to work OK.

I'd like Bento to stay where I put it instead of it making itself nice and cozy on the larger monitor. Can anyone help???

Thanks!

Last edited by AhoyThere; 31st October 2007 at 00:57.
AhoyThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2007, 18:21   #5
Infidellic

Bump and added

Dear All,

Any update on this as I am running Vista (Business Ed) with Dual Monitors and like everyone else when docking to the top it docks to the top of the primary when I want the secondary!

Bah, never mind. Any progress/work arounds would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Infidellic
Infidellic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2008, 21:41   #6
zzhumphreyt

The only workaround I'm aware of to fix this is to set your second monitor to be your primary monitor. After that move your taskbar back to your first monitor. This kludge works to get Winamp docking on the second monitor but now all windows that would appear on your left monitor appear on the right one. Stuff like your login screen, notification windows, etc.

I really want proper docking on non-primary monitors myself. The taskbar can be docked on secondary monitors and so can Trillian. Apparently Winamp is using Windows functionalty called AppBar to achieve docking support and since that functionality doesn't support multiple monitors neither does Winamp. There's just gotta be a better way to implement docking if other programs can do it.

EDIT:
I'm not a Winamp developer but would this MSDN article help to explain why Winamp's appbar implementation is stuck to the primary monitor: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms534610(VS.85).aspx

Key quote, "Using SM_CXSCREEN and SM_CYSCREEN to determine the location of an application desktop toolbar (also called appbar) restricts the appbar to the primary monitor. To allow an appbar to be on any edge of any monitor, use the appropriate system metrics to calculate the edges of the monitors. Also, use the GET_X_LPARAM and GET_Y_LPARAM macros to extract the coordinates, otherwise the sign of the coordinates may be wrong. These macros are included in Windowsx.h."

Last edited by zzhumphreyt; 14th April 2008 at 22:07.
zzhumphreyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2008, 04:11   #7
Eagle Creek

I found a work around and it's working!
I just found out and it doesn't seem to be the official way but it does work.

Make your toolbar docked on primary screen.
Go to WINDOW SETTINGS -> DOCKED TOOLBAR -> DOCK/UNDOCK WINDOWS BY DRAGGING.

Now drag Winamp away from your first monitor into your second. Then put it on top so it auto re-docks.

There it is! Winamp on your secondary monitor!

is to kill it together.
Old 3rd August 2008, 01:20   #8
Eagle Creek

Would this be important enough to stick or did I find something out people already knew?

is to kill it together.
Old 4th August 2008, 14:35   #9
zzhumphreyt

Yay, bout effin' time!!! Thanks for this Winamp developers!! When you've got two monitors docking Winamp on the second one is highly convenient.

BTW Eagle Creek, they must've added this between versions 5.5 and 5.54. You don't have to drag it from the primary monitor to the secondary for this to work though. You can just have Winamp be on the secondary and set it to dock and it'll work.

EDIT:
Yep, they fixed it in version 5.54. The version history has this line:

Fixed: Various multi-monitor docking issues
zzhumphreyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 15:30   #10
DrO

yes it was done for 5.54 though according to one thread in the bug forum i've messed up it's handling for non-standard setups when i did all of the required fixes for allowing the docking to work on a 2nd monitor *shrugs*

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2009, 03:32   #11
Infidellic

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
yes it was done for 5.54 though according to one thread in the bug forum i've messed up it's handling for non-standard setups when i did all of the required fixes for allowing the docking to work on a 2nd monitor *shrugs*

-daz

I'm running dual monitors at different resolutions, is that the kind of situation you're on about? I appreciate the addition of support for multi-monitors but for me whenever I try and use dock to top on my 2ndary the player window disappears (although my ML stays visible) and despite its appearance in the taskbar I cannot summon it.

I cannot right-click on the taskbar to interact even though it functions fine (hotkeys still work and it plays etc), however right clicking then left clicking does the usual action of right click (brings up the menu)

I can't find an option in the config anywhere either. Suggestions as to where to look?

FYI: My primary runs at a higher resolution (1280x1024) than the secondary I want to dock to the top of (1024x768), my guess would be that it's trying to dock at where it assumes the top of the monitor to be based on the resolution of the primary but that's a wild guess that I have no basis of making

Any help is much appreciated,

Infidellic

EDIT: I know this is an old thread but it is the most relevant to my issues. In addition I am running an up-to-date 5.541
Infidellic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 05:06   #12
toddalex4

Docking problem with dual monitor

Quote:
Originally posted by Infidellic
I cannot right-click on the taskbar to interact even though it functions fine (hotkeys still work and it plays etc), however right clicking then left clicking does the usual action of right click (brings up the menu)

I can't find an option in the config anywhere either. Suggestions as to where to look?

You probably know this already, but you can right-click the Desktop, choose Properties, choose the Settings tab; and then whichever monitor is currently selected as primary, select the other one instead; then left-click Winamp in the taskbar to make it appear on the newly selected primary monitor. You can then drag it back to the other monitor.

What a hassle to have do this, though. I switch between single and dual mode a lot, and it gets annoying have to go through this every time.

Last edited by toddalex4; 19th March 2009 at 05:24.
toddalex4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 17:49   #13
Allenz

Hi,
Thanks for your suggestion and support...........
Allenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support