Old 23rd October 2011, 22:43   #3201
fc*uk

I've got the same knives and a massively older version of the cookware set.

The knives I have had for 13+ years. Just get a sharpener for them; they will get dull.

The cookware I have had for 6-7 years. I have used it on both gas and ceramic electric ranges. Electric was great; no issues.On gas I have noticed that the cookware tends to bronze quite easily. No biggie, just buy yourself some stainless steel cookware cleaner. I would personally recommend the cleaner sold by chefs.
Old 23rd October 2011, 22:50   #3202
DrO

a 2-door & a 3-door wardrobe and 2 bedside cabinets as finally found what me and the gf want which will fit in the alcoves in bedroom without too much of a gap (the fun of a 1920's house that was affected by bomb damage in the war). then just have to finish some other diy jobs before being allowed to re-decorate the bedroom and sand-down + paint the chest of drawers to fit in with the new stuff. so should have that done in time for the next rugby world cup, heh.

-daz
Old 23rd October 2011, 22:54   #3203
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
Quote:
Originally Posted by fc*uk View Post
I've got the same knives and a massively older version of the cookware set.

The knives I have had for 13+ years. Just get a sharpener for them; they will get dull.

The cookware I have had for 6-7 years. I have used it on both gas and ceramic electric ranges. Electric was great; no issues.On gas I have noticed that the cookware tends to bronze quite easily. No biggie, just buy yourself some stainless steel cookware cleaner. I would personally recommend the cleaner sold by chefs.
I do have a steel from my previous knives, so I think I'm good there.

Good to know about the good experiences with Cusinart. I really was a little hesitant. I just didn't want non-stick again (except, at my mothers suggestion, one small pan for making eggs in).

I also need some new cutting boards, measuring cups/spoons, and a bunch of little stuff. I suddenly have a lot more free time and now have time for more serious cooking - figured since I need to replace a lot, I may as well replace it with quality equipment.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
Old 23rd October 2011, 23:02   #3204
fc*uk

If you want to go all out on a cutting board, I would recommend what people like to call a Boos block. It will be the last cutting board you will ever purchase ....

Edit ...

To give you an idea about Boos' quality. My father-in-law has a butcher block from John Boos ... which he got out of his father's restaurant when he passed away. In the restaurant it was used every day and the place was open for 30 years ...
Old 23rd October 2011, 23:15   #3205
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
Those look fantastic!

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
Old 24th October 2011, 00:22   #3206
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Send a message via Yahoo to Too-DAMN-Much
why don't you want nonstick?

if you use the plastic type steel wool and don't fry with metal utensils in them (like an idiot) there's no reason i can think of to avoid them.

I hate everyone, so you don't have to.
Old 24th October 2011, 03:11   #3207
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
You can't get much better than your choice in knives, and the cookware is very stylish and quite gorgeous. Congrats on the new stuff, and hopefully you're ok with the gf thing.

Some foods are better cooked on non-non-stick though, especially for searing. Most of my cookware is non-stick, but sometimes I prefer without.

Most of the stuff you need can be found at the everyday Bed, Bath, & Beyond store. That's were Renee and I got most of our stuff.

Don't forget to live before you die.
Old 24th October 2011, 04:13   #3208
fc*uk

No, no, no ....

The reason why you don't ever use nonstick is because eventually that Teflon coating breaks down. Then you start to slowly eat it with your food. That's not good.

Under normal conditions Teflon will stand true for about 6 to 12 months. Then you start eating it. No resteraunt in the world uses nonstick as a result of this; you simply can't replace cookware every six months ...

If you want something good for searing, then get de Buyer mineral pans like I just got.... they become naturally nonstick over time; without the edible Teflon coating.
Old 24th October 2011, 23:17   #3209
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ I HATE Teflon!!!
Old 25th October 2011, 04:54   #3210
rockouthippie
Banned

Nobody who is even half serious would even consider Teflon. A good stainless steel pan with some weight to it (so it won't hot spot) is just as slick as Teflon and you won't end up eating it. Just use some cooking spray and don't burn it.

Quote:
Teflon will stand true for about 6 to 12 months
That's if you paid really good money. The cheap stuff isn't even that good. If you accidentally overheat Teflon, it's done.
Old 28th October 2011, 23:09   #3211
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

You guys are ranting about the cheap Wal*Mart bullshit that people love to hate, especially the stuff that flakes off after a while. Stay away from that like the plague and you'll be fine.

That said, I've cooked hundreds of meals (very likely well over a thousand) on my Calphalon Contemporary Nonstick pots and pans since July of 2007, and they have never caused me any problems. Eggs still release and flip effortlessly with no need for spray release or butter. Food remains wipe off with a wet washrag on the first or second wipe, even if I accidentally left them in the oven too long or burned something on while on the cook-top, without needing "elbow grease" or pressure. If I had to buy all over again (which I won't since they're guaranteed by a no-questions-asked policy forever), I'd still purchase the same exact products.

When I don't want non-stick, I use the Calphalon One line, which I have found to be fine for what I do. That stuff takes a little more work to clean, but it is still not too bad. I have stainless cookware too - less expensive stuff, but I pretty much never use it any more except maybe for boiling.

Good quality nonstick can be much healthier and can cause foods to taste more authentic because you don't need to use anything as a releasing agent. Most restaurants I go to cause my wife digestive issues because of the enormous amounts of releasing agents and butter, which her body doesn't like. If I cook the same thing at home without all that, on non-stick cookware, she's fine, and I find I like it more because the taste isn't masked by all that junk.

Old 29th October 2011, 01:34   #3212
fc*uk

If I had to do it all over again, I would go with Le Creuset. Porcelain coated cast iron. It's naturally non-stick.
Old 29th October 2011, 11:03   #3213
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Le Creuset is expensive and worth every single penny. And on a less pricey not; I love my Lodge and Wagner Cast Iron. It's not non-stick, it's heavy as hell, and I have a 14" deep frying pan(not a deep fry) that I wouldn't sell for anything.
Old 29th October 2011, 14:18   #3214
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

soon enough i'm going to need a mousepad.

so as soon as i get paid that'll be the next thing i buy.

the current one i've got:
http://xfxforce.com/en-gb/Products/A...XFXWarPad.aspx

it's decent enough, but within less than three months the extra padding crap turned into a noticable indent where my wrist usually sits on it that now makes it more difficult than it should be to mouse precisely on the stupid thing.

honestly i might try to just take the stuff it uses off since it looks like it's just taped and glued into place and the mousepad is a decent idea and pretty damn comfortable as well, the indent is really a deal killer though.

Old 29th October 2011, 14:31   #3215
fc*uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widdykats View Post
Le Creuset is expensive and worth every single penny.
I actually do have some Le Creuset cookware and you are correct. I actually am also doing it all over again. The problems with what I currently have are twofold. First there is no lifetime warranty and they will not last forever. Second, this cookware is not induction capable without one of those interface disks.

Le Creuset has a lifetime warranty and is amazing on induction surfaces. Additionally, the cookware is so bloody heavy that you don't suffer from hotspots, which are common in induction cooking.

I am truly convinced that induction is the way to go. Sure, the ranges cost several thousands of dollars, but the energy/time savings would be immense. I've never seen a full pot of water (8.5L/9 QT) boil in under five minutes at 50% power. I've never once used by induction surface past 50% power; it just gets too hot too fast ...
Old 29th October 2011, 17:16   #3216
rockouthippie
Banned

We were talking about flashlights a while ago:

I've had this one for years. It's high impact kid plastic, runs on 2 C cells. You can set it down flat.

This thing was designed as a kid toy, but it's really a very useful, extremely durable flashlight. If you need to set a flashlight down to work on something, it's just ideal.

This mornings' purchase was a new doggie bed for BB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mickey.JPG
Views:	322
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	49248  
Old 29th October 2011, 17:25   #3217
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

^very cute. It's not often I see products that take C batteries anymore though. I still see C's on store shelves though.

Old 29th October 2011, 17:38   #3218
rockouthippie
Banned

That might be a good thing. Since I have nothing else that uses C cells, I can be pretty sure that I didn't scavenge the batteries out of it. As near as I can figure, this flashlight is 27 years old.

A hound that has been expelled from daddy's bed isn't really happy about it. We slept outside last night because we didn't like our "box". Today we are tired and deciding whether protesting our "box" as a matter of principle is really worth the effort.

Spoiled dog. There have been times in my life when I didn't have such a nice place to sleep.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	zzzzzz.JPG
Views:	259
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	49249  
Old 29th October 2011, 18:06   #3219
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

How could you resist? Look how happy..
Old 29th October 2011, 19:40   #3220
rockouthippie
Banned

This is not really a happy dog. She wants to be on my bed. Because of the spitz in her, she is scheming. This is a mix with that, mad and sad. BB doesn't like to lose arguments. Also tired because we didn't like our indoor accommodations last night and ended up spending the night outside.

Poor! Poor! Puppy!

One thing about dogs you might want to know. If they are bigger than about 50 lbs you need to have something soft for them to sleep on and train them to always sleep on it. Sleeping on hard surfaces screws up their elbows. You've probably seen dogs with chafe marks. In their old age that turns into a really bad situation. If you didn't want your old dog to limp around like a gomer, they shouldn't be sleeping on the floor.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	49250  
Old 30th October 2011, 04:10   #3221
sgtfuzzbubble011

Last purchase: Pumpkin Pie Blizzard from Dairy Queen. It was delicious.

Earlier this evening, I bought things for the old battlewagon: spark plugs, oil, oil filter, air filter, gas treatment. The odometer recently turned past 302,000 miles. Maybe I can keep it running for another 302,000 miles.
Old 30th October 2011, 20:19   #3222
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I posted about the chair recently; it's been good but my latest acquisition is the rubber-bottom rug that's now under it. The chair rolled too easily for my taste on hardwood flooring, and I found that this rug gives me the perfect amount of resistance where I can still easily roll, but not too easily that I can't stay put when I want to. Plus, it'll protect the hardwood flooring.

Old 30th October 2011, 20:27   #3223
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockouthippie View Post

This is not really a happy dog. She wants to be on my bed. Because of the spitz in her, she is scheming. This is a mix with that, mad and sad. BB doesn't like to lose arguments. Also tired because we didn't like our indoor accommodations last night and ended up spending the night outside.

Poor! Poor! Puppy!

One thing about dogs you might want to know. If they are bigger than about 50 lbs you need to have something soft for them to sleep on and train them to always sleep on it. Sleeping on hard surfaces screws up their elbows. You've probably seen dogs with chafe marks. In their old age that turns into a really bad situation. If you didn't want your old dog to limp around like a gomer, they shouldn't be sleeping on the floor.
She is a very happy dog, who is also scheming. It is her job to look sad, so you give in. I always gave in.
Old 31st October 2011, 03:15   #3224
rockouthippie
Banned

I wish I had hardwood floors. Carpets are a pain in the ass.

As for poochy, she has started to figure out that her big puffy bed is ok. Daddy still loves us even though we got kicked out of bed.

I don't compromise with BB much. Give her an inch and she'll take a mile. Then look innocent. This is a dog that would control you if you let her. It's the spitz. I should have known. Don't get me wrong, BB is a good dog, but I was used to the calm Rottweiler. I'm sure she will mellow out a little bit as she gets a little older, but she can really be hell on wheels. I usually run her with my bicycle a couple miles a day just to keep her from getting too full of piss.

Like the other 2 spitz dogs I've had, I will never be quite her master. Stubborn! Wow. I'm glad she's not mean.

As for buying things... my espresso machine disintegrated.. I'm bidding on some higher end used ones on ebay. I think I can get something with pretty good quality, made out of metal, for a couple hundred. It sure hasn't been economy buying $100 machines new.
Old 31st October 2011, 04:10   #3225
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

This is an old 1920's brick coal-mining house with absolutely no carpet. It does at least have good quality hardwood flooring and steps throughout. It's cold and hard, and when the tiniest little micro-pebble gets on it, it will bug you or even hurt if step on it in bare feet or socks. For that reason, you need slippers or thick socks or something that will help. For living rooms and bedrooms, I prefer carpet. For dining rooms, kitchens, and bathrooms, I prefer hard surfaces. As far as I have experienced:

Pros of hardwood:

* Easy to clean (just get a dust mop for weekly cleaning and wash the floors once a year),
* More hardy than one would expect in terms of resisting scratches and other damage,
* Looks good especially since it doesn't go out of style,
* Lasts pretty much forever

Cons of hardwood:

* Not comfortable without slippers,
* Expensive to buy and seal at first,
* Will separate over time if not seasoned in-home before install,
* Requires treatment every few years,
* Slippery and hurts like hell to fall on,
* Lack of insulating properties can increase utility bills and make the room feel cold.

The dog looks pretty comfortable. That dog bed is probably far more comfortable than anything I ever slept in until about 2 years ago. My dogs for some reason won't sleep on actual dog beds, but if you toss old clothes and coats in a big box, they'll jump right in, shuffle around for a minute, and then pass out like babies.

Old 31st October 2011, 04:35   #3226
InvisableMan
Ninja Master!
(Forum King)

Most recent purchase is some accessories for my Hookah:

and one of these:

I was kind of reluctant to get the diffuser, but it turns out that it really does smooth out the draws and makes the hookah pretty much silent. Combined with the bowl, which produces huge thick clouds of smoke for ages, on my little Mya Vento hookah, makes for the best smoking sessions I've ever had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingdjted View Post
My dogs for some reason won't sleep on actual dog beds, but if you toss old clothes and coats in a big box, they'll jump right in, shuffle around for a minute, and then pass out like babies.
I'm willing to bet it's because of the smell.
Old 31st October 2011, 05:07   #3227
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

yeah diffusers are no brainers, that's why glass on glass bongs only ever come with diffusers built into the female piece anymore (downspout, some call it that too) it makes much less commotion in your water and helps you clear it easier.

if you want a smooth hit though you'll want something with an ice catcher built into it.

Quote:
my espresso machine disintegrated
grab yourself one of these, you won't look back http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/kitchen/8e3a/?srp=1

it's not quite espresso though, but it's taste is miles ahead of what you're used to.

Old 31st October 2011, 05:36   #3228
InvisableMan
Ninja Master!
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too-DAMN-Much View Post
yeah diffusers are no brainers, that's why glass on glass bongs only ever come with diffusers built into the female piece anymore (downspout, some call it that too) it makes much less commotion in your water and helps you clear it easier.

if you want a smooth hit though you'll want something with an ice catcher built into it.
The diffuser isn't ~necessary~, but it just smooths the draw out and is more of a experience enhancer than an actual smoke enhancer. As far as ice goes, you put ice straight in to the base. The biggest two actual smoke enhancers are a good hose and a good bowl. With proper heat management, as long as you know what you are doing, you can get a good session out of a $25 hookah bought at a thrift store, provided the bowl and hose as mentioned.
Old 31st October 2011, 14:26   #3229
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

actually on second though i bet you're right on the ice with a hookah at least, it works just as well in the water or in the long tube section with a bong though.

actually on third thought, does the diffuser go below the water line on a hookah? it has to on a bong.

and yeah diffusers are far from necessary, but if you're shopping for glass on glass bongs you're not shopping for cheap in the first place

Old 31st October 2011, 17:12   #3230
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingdjted View Post
About hardwood
I used to have hardwood floors. I put a lot of nice area rugs down. That saves the floor and cleaning the rugs uses a hose and some soap so you can get them clean.

Spending a couple - three hundred on area rugs every couple years is a lot better than replacing wall to wall carpeting. If you spend some real money and buy wool, you are probably good for 10 years.

The next time you refinish your floor you should have a talk with the Home Depot dude. Some of the new floor finishes are good for at least 5 years even with being scratched (or not scratched) by dog toenails.

I remember when I was a kid. The floor finishes were really soft. You'd end up refinishing the floor every couple years. My grandma kept pouring Liquid Gold on her floor until it was a quarter inch thick. That's the other way. Lots and Lots and Lots of wax.

Another thing I would like in a house is heated floors in the bathroom.

The thing I like is that you can get the dust out of the room. Even after a professional cleaning, your wall to wall carpet must still have 10 lbs of dust in it. I got my vacuum cleaner used for $300 at an auction. Retail $1800. Even it doesn't get all the dust out, but it is better than anything I've ever used.
Old 31st October 2011, 17:19   #3231
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Send a message via AIM to SSJ4 Gogitta
Hung out at a friends (and with one of his friends) last night, helped record his YouTube thing (user/TheFirstPlaceLosers), did the filming with my D7000. That episode isn't up yet (Halloween special). Bought four large pizzas from Pizza Hut for us.

Old 31st October 2011, 17:20   #3232
rockouthippie
Banned

So does the new camera pass muster?
Old 31st October 2011, 17:25   #3233
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Send a message via AIM to SSJ4 Gogitta
Quote:
So does the new camera pass muster?
I'm gonna say yes. Limited to 20 minutes of video at a time, apparently because the sensor gets hot (which is sort of understandable, because dammit, Jim, it's a camera, not a camcorder). But it worked out fine. 20 or so minute sessions left them time to go through stuff between shoots and whatnot. Hopefuly it works well with their green screen. Their last green screen glitched really bad, hopefully my camera provided a better source for it, though better lighting would he a huge improvement.

I think one of the next things they're going to try to get is a stereo mic.

Old 31st October 2011, 17:27   #3234
rockouthippie
Banned

That doesn't seem like much of a drawback. Mostly I've shot clips of a few minutes or less when using a camcorder.

Quote:
Jim, it's a camera, not a camcorder
Purists might bitch that it can be used as a camcorder. That is; if there is any compromise in snapshot quality because of camcorder functions. It seems like that is less of an issue in the last couple years.
Old 1st November 2011, 16:59   #3235
Barter

A new color laser printer! Now we rock...
Old 11th November 2011, 15:10   #3236
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Finally after 16 years of hard use, I blew a woofer from one of my infinity SM125's at a school dance. I had 4 of these running at once, so no one noticed the problem, not even me until I brought them home after the dance and hooked them back up. The other 3 are fine, and the midrange and tweeter on the affected one seem unharmed. I realize these aren't meant to be DJ speakers, but they fill a gymnasium packed full of 260 people quite effortlessly, and their quality and clarity of sound is better than typical DJ gear. I've never had issue with using them that way. I found a pair (only need 1, but oh well) of used replacement woofers for a relatively low price, so I'm awaiting arrival of them (seller's pictures):

Old 24th November 2011, 10:53   #3237
rockouthippie
Banned

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B000MX3HOQ

I actually bought this a while ago. I reserved judgement until I decided whether I liked it or not. I got a refurb for $90 incl. S&H (Abes of Maine). Good little machine. Has a hot water dispenser so you can make cocoa w/steamed milk. Powerful steamer. Good crema in the coffee.... ZZZZ!!! Espresso good

I wouldn't have liked this machine as well at it's $270 retail, but for $90... it's a hell of a lot of machine.
Old 24th November 2011, 12:21   #3238
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

cool, now you don't have to be a zombie in the mornings

Old 26th November 2011, 18:41   #3239
rockouthippie
Banned

A double shot of Kenya AA in the morning will wake you right up. You are a mountain dew drinker. Espresso takes caffeine to a new level. I have to be careful of coffee virgins and I do have some decaf. I just about killed my 70 year old uncle a while ago He drinks a pot of coffee a day, so I figured he'd be ok. He just couldn't take the blast I guess.

A double shot of Kenya AA straight and a piece of chocolate.... Yep. Perk ya right up. I don't know anyone else who drinks straight espresso. I like it sometimes. You gotta have a piece of chocolate with.... takes the bitterness out of your mouth...
Old 29th November 2011, 11:34   #3240
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

http://www.frys.com/product/6742155?...ages%20page:p1
"dark grey saturday" one day sale deal, 24GB of that memory for $89.99 before and $54.99 after rebate.

and the old power supply decided to give up and do a little fireworks show yesterday, so i splurged and picked this really nice one up for $249.99
http://www.frys.com/product/6907217?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

and i also picked this little number up too for $85, nice little water cooler for the CPU
http://www.frys.com/product/6756095?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions