Old 8th December 2003, 00:03   #1
ErrorS

I wanna give my opinion on Winamp3/5

I love Winamp3. I wish it had some features Winamp2 had, but overall I think it's the cleanest player I've ever used.

Why stop Winamp3 development for Winamp5? In my opinion Winamp5 is a step backwards. It takes the good features from Winamp2, some of the decent ones from Winamp3 and puts them together, good idea in theory, but Winamp5 doesn't have ANYTHING good Winamp3 did.

Do those of us that like Winamp3 a favor and put up a paypal donations link. Let us donate to Nullsoft so Winamp3 development can continue. Don't kill the project all together. Do something to keep it alive, so us Winamp3 users can at least have small updates.

I don't follow winamp very closely, so I have no idea whats happening on the 'inside'. I just know I love Winamp3. I came to the site to see if there were any updates and saw "Winamp3 IS DEAD! Use Winamp2 .. err *cough* we mean Winamp5!"

Eventually WindowsMediaPlayer will come out with some new nifty feature and I'll have to switch, because IMHO it's the closest thing there is to Winamp3. Not the god awful ANCIENT Winamp"5" that's no more then an update to what I was using 6 years ago to listen to MP3s.

This is just my opinion. I understand alot of people dislike Winamp3 and even more actually like Winamp5. I might be in the minority, but I know I'm not alone. I'd be willing to do whatever I could to keep Winamp3 alive.
Old 8th December 2003, 02:12   #2
WHEREamI
Major Dude

Only Winamp3 as a product name is dead. Wasabi is continuing, and the Winamp3 Wasabi program is now wasabi.player.

I'm glad that you're still interested in Winamp3. If you still want to use it, you still can, just use wasabi.player instead. Go to the Winamp3 Development forum (soon to be Wasabi Development) and read the sticky there titled "Wasabi and the Future." Pick yourself up a copy of wasabi.player build 499e! much newer than the Winamp3 1.0 (build 488).

~WHEREamI
Old 8th December 2003, 02:24   #3
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

Winamp3 development has not stopped, check out this. Winamp3 is not dead, that's just the dramatic PR trick .

Thanks, I really appreciate your concern. Feel free to contact me .

[edit]What he said.[/edit]

For long you live and high you fly, but only if you ride the tide, and balanced on the biggest wave you race towards an early grave.
|Musicbrainz|Audioscrobbler|last.fm|
Old 8th December 2003, 10:40   #4
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

I've added wasabi.player section to wa3 faq
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....eadid=67254#wp

http://genghis.winamp.com/~brennan/wasabi/

wasabi.player build 499g

[edit]

Build #499g is a strictly developer build only.
It is NOT intended for use by the average user,
so do not even download it unless you plan to develop for/help debug it.

Users wishing to test the awesome power of wasabi.player should download the latest stable internal build, eg. #499c

Thank you

[/edit]
Old 8th December 2003, 11:39   #5
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

Shush, we were trying to keep that one quiet .

For long you live and high you fly, but only if you ride the tide, and balanced on the biggest wave you race towards an early grave.
Old 9th December 2003, 00:52   #6
WHEREamI
Major Dude

haha!!! too late! it's not even in the dev forum...

Quote:
[edit]What he said.[/edit]
that's a first for me... hehe
Old 9th December 2003, 20:04   #7
squall14716

Send a message via ICQ to squall14716 Send a message via AIM to squall14716 Send a message via Yahoo to squall14716
Wasabi.Player 499f is out? Man, and I'm still using tha ancient 499c.

I'm upgrading when I get home then.

EDIT: Make that 499g
EDIT2: Or is it 499f? Huh, huh?
Old 9th December 2003, 20:09   #8
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

Read this.

Old 10th December 2003, 06:05   #9
ErrorS

OMG I'm cursed! The ONLY reason this happened is because I posted that I liked Winamp3

I'm sorry Russ, I'm bad luck.

I hope you can continue development on any part open source.

I'll stand by how I feel. Winamp3 is the best piece of software on my computer. It will be the LAST Nullsoft/AOL product I ever use!

Good Luck
Old 10th December 2003, 06:05   #10
ErrorS

double post

edit: might as well post my opinions on wasabi.player.

I like it so far. I had problems with freetype and my playlist(7000+ songs) slowing to a crawl when I tried scrolling, but got rid of the freetype.wac thing and all is good.

Dunno what's new yet, but its at least as functional as winamp3 public.

Time to go play around with it..

Last edited by ErrorS; 10th December 2003 at 06:42.
Old 10th December 2003, 15:43   #11
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by ErrorS
I had problems with freetype and my playlist(7000+ songs) slowing to a crawl when I tried scrolling, but got rid of the freetype.wac thing and all is good.
Yea I'm experiencing that aswell.
I'm hoping freetype.wac can be optimized in order to resolve this, however due to recent events, that's a much much later problem.. :/

It's good to see there are still people who are willing to show their support for Wasabi.player and that not everyone has migrated to Winamp 5 without crying rivers..

-Plague
Old 12th December 2003, 06:49   #12
superunknown

Winamp 5 is a vast improvement over Winamp 3, which was the worst piece of software ever made in the history of mankind. No I'm not exagerating.

Thank you Nullsoft for finally laying version 3 to rest once and for all. Winamp 5 has the stability of 2 with none of the headaches of Winamp 3.

Old 12th December 2003, 07:47   #13
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by superunknown
Winamp 5 is a vast improvement over Winamp 3, which was the worst piece of software ever made in the history of mankind. No I'm not exagerating.
Like hell you aren't.
You don't even have all the facts.
build #488 sucked, yes, but don't trash the entire software because of AOL's piss poor decision to FORCE Nullsoft to release a very very much unfinished product.
What winamp 5 is, is what Winamp3 was going to be plus more, given the time it needed (like, up till now).

Quote:
Originally posted by superunknown
Thank you Nullsoft for finally laying version 3 to rest once and for all. Winamp 5 has the stability of 2 with none of the headaches of Winamp 3.
I'm sorry you feel that way, but noone forced you to use it.
There was no reason whatsoever to kill Winamp3, except because of people like you who couldn't stop whining about it without even knowing what the hell you/they were talking about..

Oh, and by the way, you chose a really bad time to write this, as two of the lead programmers of Wasabi and Winamp3 were recently laid off by AOL, which has pissed off quite a few people.

-Plague
Old 12th December 2003, 19:46   #14
squall14716

Send a message via ICQ to squall14716 Send a message via AIM to squall14716 Send a message via Yahoo to squall14716
I'm still wondering why Nullsoft never officially released any updates to Winamp3 whatsoever. Of course people will say it sucks when the only official release in a year sucked. If Nullsoft had released a dev build like #499 as Winamp3 1.01 or something, more people would probably like it.

Either way, I hope Wasabi.Player continues in some form or another. It's a great program.
Old 12th December 2003, 22:31   #15
D-151

I disagree. Winamp5 only takes up 5 megs of memoery to accomplish the same task that wasapi (winamp3) accomplishes, which takes up 18 megs of memoery. If you play winamp in the background while playing games (like I do) you will realise that winamp5 is the way to go.

Quote:
you who couldn't stop whining about it without even knowing what the hell you/they were talking about..
But those were all valid reasons to whine:
1. Buggy
2. Slow
3. System Hog
4. Random Crashes
5. Did I mention slow?

If you advance your software, you want to make it more efficent while maintaining the same quality your previous releases did (like Winamp2)
Winamp3 failed to do this, hence its downfall.
Winamp3 tried to focus to much on eye-candy - when it forgot to improve it's roots, which was: a small, reliable, good-quality mp3 player.
Old 12th December 2003, 22:39   #16
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

dude, you're STILL talking about build 488 of Winamp3, which is REALLY old and VERY outdated.

The newest builds take up LESS memory than Winamp 5 and are actually also FASTER than Winamp 5, etc etc etc etc..

Check your damn facts already!

edit:
and still, NOONE forced ANYONE to use Winamp3!
There was NO reason to kill it before it was even finished!

-Plague
Old 13th December 2003, 00:58   #17
DrO

Quote:
If you advance your software, you want to make it more efficent while maintaining the same quality your previous releases did (like Winamp2)
which takes time to do. just so you know Winamp 2 has had over 7 years of development to put things into place. also without Winamp3 then there wouldn't be a Winamp 5 as we know it.

Quote:
Winamp3 tried to focus to much on eye-candy
that's a load of bollocks. Wasabi is one of the most flexible systems i know of. Can Winamp 2 be used to create a new program? i think not. Winamp3 was to demonstrate the Wasabi platform which as already mentioned was created from scratch which is no mean feat in itself.

as Plague has mentioned, the later builds were far better, even my PII can cope with the latest builds at a decent speed.

damn, i'm going to try and see how i can help with the player to keep it alive since i don't want to see a great piece of software be lost!

-daz

(sorry but i'm annoyed by the comments here and else where slating Winamp3/Wasabi Player)
Old 13th December 2003, 01:12   #18
D-151

Quote:
The newest builds take up LESS memory than Winamp 5 and are actually also FASTER than Winamp 5, etc etc etc etc..
No, I think you need to get your facts straight - the newest Wasabi build I d/l takes up 14 megs of memory on initial launch - and ironicy, it keeps slowey eating up memory the longer it runs (had it take up to 19 megs) - while winamp 5 remains around 3-6 megs of memory usage. And the results? IMO - the same. There both a Mp3 player. So to me, wasabi and winamp3, are fubar.
Old 13th December 2003, 01:16   #19
D-151

LOL, I laughed when you said W5 takes up LESS memory ... LOL, I can post a screenshot if you want - if thats what it takes. Or just do it yourself - Use taskmanager to see how much memory winamp.exe takes up compared to wasabi.exe - maybe you need to get your eyes checked??
Old 13th December 2003, 01:21   #20
D-151

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
which takes time to do. just so you know Winamp 2 has had over 7 years of development to put things into place. also without Winamp3 then there wouldn't be a Winamp 5 as we know it.

that's a load of bollocks. Wasabi is one of the most flexible systems i know of. Can Winamp 2 be used to create a new program? i think not. Winamp3 was to demonstrate the Wasabi platform which as already mentioned was created from scratch which is no mean feat in itself.

as Plague has mentioned, the later builds were far better, even my PII can cope with the latest builds at a decent speed.

damn, i'm going to try and see how i can help with the player to keep it alive since i don't want to see a great piece of software be lost!

-daz

(sorry but i'm annoyed by the comments here and else where slating Winamp3/Wasabi Player)
Conclusion: Winamp3 ate up more memory, was slower, and buggier to accomplish the SAME task winamp2 did. To play mp3's. And winamp3 even sounded worst (Then again, I use the MAD plugin for Winamp2/5)

What was the whole reason why alot liked winamp anyways? Because it was small, quick, and got the job done. Winamp5 is merely bringing those days back, but with added features - like the way winamp3 shouldve been.
Old 13th December 2003, 02:29   #21
WHEREamI
Major Dude

ok, fine... w.p 499g, you're right. more memory, more cpu. Try 499c, which was a STABLE build. 499g is not a stable build. it is more like an internal build. the only reason it's out is b/c nobody except those of us working on it cares about it.

Bah... you don't even deserve our attention. Go away. Learn something about software, then come back when you actually have valid evidence to support your claim.
Old 13th December 2003, 05:33   #22
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

^^what he said..

-Plague
Old 13th December 2003, 06:14   #23
D-151

Ok, you said I was right with that build, but then you turn around and say I need evidence to support my claims. I supplied all the evidence, hence the reason I was right.

Anyways, Winamp 5 IMO IS the right step forward. I believe wasapi.player will be the "pat yourself on the back for being different" player.
Old 13th December 2003, 06:32   #24
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

you really don't get it, do you?
Winamp 5 loads Wasabi as a plugin, which means it cannot possibly be faster when using Modern skins, than Wasabi standalone is/will be!
It MIGHT be able to be optimised to the level of beeing just as fast, but it CANNOT be faster, get it?

And the same thing goes with how much system resources it eats up.
Winamp 5 with Modern skins CANNOT use LESS resources than Wasabi standalone, due to the fact that Winamp 5 uses system resources for both the Win32 (Winamp2) part AND Wasabi at the same time.

Now, before you go on about how wrong I am, consider the fact that Winamp 5 is FINISHED, and wasabi.player is VERY far from finished.
499g was thrown together ONLY because of the recent events and should not be considered the least bit stable.

You really have no clue whatsoever about software development, do you?

Also, when you're comparing Winamp 5 with Winamp3/wasabi.player, you should compare with Wasabi build 499 or later, because Winamp 5 uses build 499+.
And for the love of god, compare with a STABLE build.
if 499c is stable and gives better results than Winamp 5 and 499g is NOT stable and gives worse results than Winamp 5, you should trust the 499c build, get it?

-Plague
Old 13th December 2003, 12:14   #25
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Re: I wanna give my opinion on Winamp3/5

Quote:
Originally posted by ErrorS
I wanna give my opinion on Winamp3/5
If we want you to have an opinion, we'll give you one.
Old 13th December 2003, 13:33   #26
WHEREamI
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by D-151
Ok, you said I was right with that build, but then you turn around and say I need evidence to support my claims. I supplied all the evidence, hence the reason I was right.
Ummm... i said =>> VALID <<= evidence. 499g is not valid evidence, b/c, as now said three times (including this one: ) 499g is not a stable build!!!

c'mon... i dare you to try 499c. then try to tell me it doesn't rival wa5's cpu and resource usage.
Old 13th December 2003, 20:36   #27
scbadger

winamp 3 sucks big time.
it took at least 30 secs to load on my pentium 400 and totally killed my XP with 192 Mb.
It crashed the computer more often than not and I know others who say the same.

Winamp went backwards when they started other media types.
Winamp developers, if you're listening, go back to what you do best and make winamp THE BEST MP3 player going.

You are killing your rep by bringing rubbish out!

PS don't tell me winamp3 is good cos you're wasting your breath.
Old 13th December 2003, 21:14   #28
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

what the hell are you doing with XP on a lousy p400 with just 192MB RAM anyways?
You dug your own grave dude.

OFCOURSE it was slow on your computer, you can't run NEXT GENERATION software on everything, you can't run Winamp3 on a god damn calculator!

geez

-Plague
Old 13th December 2003, 21:22   #29
Darkain
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Darkain Send a message via AIM to Darkain Send a message via Yahoo to Darkain
Quote:
Originally posted by Plague
what the hell are you doing with XP on a lousy p400 with just 192MB RAM anyways?
You dug your own grave dude.

OFCOURSE it was slow on your computer, you can't run NEXT GENERATION software on everything, you can't run Winamp3 on a god damn calculator!

geez

-Plague
its like that one time i read an article bout a guy bitching that unreal2 ran poorly on his voodoo5 card....

thaz just how it is... you have older hardware trying to run newer software, and it doesnt work well.

-=- Darkain Dragoon -=-
-=- RM-X Home Page - Controlling Winamp via RM-900, RM-1000, RM-1500, ATI Remote Wonder, Joysticks, Gamepads, Wheels, Keyboard shortcuts, Multimedia keyboards, across the net, and much more! -=- Defenestration !!! -=-
Old 13th December 2003, 22:27   #30
Raftysworld

Send a message via AIM to Raftysworld Send a message via Yahoo to Raftysworld
What is it with all WA3 haters? They are all the same. "Waaaaa It uses too much memory on my PI 150" "It takes to long to start up" BOOHOO. Here are the steps to becoming a Wasabi supporter.

1) Get a comp that is capable of something. Eg, at least 128 Megs of RAM, 800 MHZ, etc. Something that is up to date with the software world.

2) Download Wasabi.Player build 499c. Like WhereAmI said, we dare you to tell us that it doesn't compete speedwise with WA 5.

3) Get your damn facts straight before incoherently whining. Jesus...

WA3 was and still is MUCH more flexible than WA 5. I'm terribly sad to see development halted on it. I use WA 5 as my default player, but Wasabi was not given the chance it deserved. This is mostly due to whiners like you guys.
Old 14th December 2003, 00:13   #31
scbadger

Hold on a minute!

Winamp is an MP3 player!
My system may be slow by todays standards but the fact is Winamp 2 ran perfectly well whereas that garbage didnt.
It's that good its been dropped, remember!
If my system can run crappy win XP then it ought to be able to handle Winamp3.
It was the only program that crashed my comp, nothing else does and I've got 50 Gb on here.
Internet explorer gobbles more resources than winamp but its never given me a blue screen! unlike winamp3
Face it, it sucked
Old 14th December 2003, 00:36   #32
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

You have no clue whatsoever about software development, or software in general for that matter..
You're just another whining newbie who is pissed off about anything that doesn't run perfectly by YOUR standards.

and NO, Winamp is NOT just an MP3 player.
That was a VERY long time ago..
And Winamp3 was never meant to be just an audioplayer, where's Winamp2 was up till 2.9, Winamp3 was meant to be a full featured media player.
Just because YOU disagree with that, doesn't make any differnce..

-Plague
Old 14th December 2003, 00:56   #33
scbadger

I do disagree!

The fact as i see it is that Winamp was the best,most intuitive MP3 player to be found. that's what made it so popular. simple.
Perhaps I'm in the minority here, I doubt it, but admit it's a possibility.
I want an MP3 player that plays a song when I press the button.
I don't want it to play films (I'll use DiVX player or B.S or suchlike)
I'm not interested in skins(although I admit looking on the website, quite a few are)
In short, I want it to do what it is supposed to. play mp3s.
Which it didn't on my m/c
And as for not knowing anything about software, that's prob true.
But again the fact is I have been running betas for over 10 years.
My 'calculator' even ran the beta of XP 10 times better than winamp3.
I can run 'championship manager 4' which is the most processor intensive game I've seen(I'm not into games really) but I can't run an MP3 player!
That tells me there is something wrong big time.
And I'm sorry if you don't agree, but it should never have been released in the state it was ,even as a beta.
Finally, I thought 64bit was next generation.
Wonder if I'll get that to run :-)
Old 14th December 2003, 01:07   #34
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

you're right about one thing: it shouldn't have been released in the state it was in, but AOL FORCED them to release it!
Not many people ever gave Winamp3 a chance. They just took one look at it and said "It sucks! Get rid of it!".
However, it WAS in beta shape, and if you disagree with that, well that's your opinion, but then again you don't seem to know jack shit about software development.

If you JUST want an mp3 player, why the hell don't you keep whatever version of Winamp2 you have and leave it at that?
If you aren't interested in new flashy features at all, or even the ability to play more formats, then what the hell are you even LOOKING at the new versions for?

geez, it's not like someone FORCED it down your throat.

And finally, yes 64bit is next generation, but stuff doesn't HAVE to be 64bit to be next generation. Everything that isn't THIS generation is next generation and 64bit is just ONE of those things..

and no, you'll not get 64bit to run on your computer because your hardware doesn't support it.
This only proves how little you know about both software and hardware..

-Plague
Old 14th December 2003, 01:37   #35
Raftysworld

I may be reitterating some things you've already said Plague, but I think I've been pushed over the limit with this one. I'm so sick and tired of people saying the exact same goddamn thing. So listen up scbadger.

Winamp is *NOT* just an MP3 player anymore. It is a multimedia player, complete with a full featured media library, and video support. When installing the player, you had the option to CHOOSE what components you wanted to install. Don't want video? Don't install it. Also, if you want just a simple little MP3 player, THEN GO GET IT. Download WA 2.81, or 2.0 for that matter. Just cause your computer can't take it, DOESN'T MEAN IT SUCKS. Get over it.

And I still have the hunch that you've yet to try wasabi.player or even WA3 Build 499, both comparable, if not speedier than WA 2.XX.

Bottom line, if you don't like it, then don't use it. But just cause you don't like it doesn't mean it sucks.

[Edit] I knew I was saying things you've already said over again Plague, sorry. I was so angry I replied to his post after only skimming over yours. [/Edit]
Old 14th December 2003, 01:38   #36
scbadger

I take it you didn't notice the little smiley at the end of my message. You really ought to calm down a bit.
Ok lets have a few home truths here.
Winamp was and still is best known as the most popular MP3 player in the world.
The fact is that it is not really well known for it's different media
formats and in my opinion Nullsoft are banging their heads against a brick wall trying to compete against WMP, realplayer and the like.

I'm not trying to criticise Winamp, just version 3 cos i found it to be rubbish.
I realise that Nullsoft have to try and keep up and that's why they have gone multi format.
BUT if you are going to compete against the big boys, you really ought to have something to compete with.
Ok, so you say AOL were responsible. fair enough.

I didn't just look at winamp3. I ran it for about 3 months and kept it on because I refused to believe a simple MP3 player would crash my previously rock stable computer. I was mistakenly looking at other programs like Nero and such like.( which have loads of dlls and all sorts of troublesome stuff, oh I forgot, I don't know anything about software)

As for why I bother upgrading, well I thought that was the way to get a better product. I even expect betas to have slight glitchs, but not be totally unstable, which Winamp3 undoubtably was.
Which is why I've downgraded to 2.9
Old 14th December 2003, 01:40   #37
scbadger

PS I didnt install video, but it still crashed big time
Old 14th December 2003, 01:44   #38
scbadger

just realised I'm talking about winamp 3 and 5beta2. both the same
Old 14th December 2003, 01:45   #39
Raftysworld

I'm not even gonna bother replying to your entire post, since you're basically just restating what you've already said, but at least get your facts straight.

Winamp3 (Wasabi Player) and Winamp 2.XX are two different products, and in that sense, it isn't a downgrade in going from WA3 to WA 2.9, Especially since WA 2.9 was released AFTER The public release (Build 488) of WA3.

Oh, and how come thousands and thousands of WA3 users made it their default player (including me), and found (in particular, the build 499) that it was very stable, and quite fast? Did you ever stop to think that it might be, *gasp*, your calcu--- err, system that is the problem?
Old 14th December 2003, 01:52   #40
scbadger

very possible. I cant remember exactly which version of 3 I had, but 5beta2 was exactly the same.
You'll have to enlighten me here. what is so 'next generation' about winamp3?
For the sake of repeating myself, if I can run any other type of media player that you care to mention and only have problems cos i dont have the correct codec sometimes, why won't winamp3 run. Is it because of the reasons mentioned at the beginning of the thread, or is it something totally different from anything else thats been written

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp3 > Winamp3 Discussion