Old 22nd July 2004, 19:47   #321
siebe83
Forum King

That's odd...
Using the latest version? (i.e. 5.03)
If you are using a 2.x version, that might be the cause (since with +/- 5 the drawing of extra windows has changed)

btw, i used modern for a while, but now classic skins all the way: much faster...

Good Winamp plugins by Joonas, DrO and shaneh.
If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
Old 22nd July 2004, 19:50   #322
d3x7r0

Send a message via Skype™ to d3x7r0
LOL I use 5.03 with update patch and Windows XP Home Edition with all the latest patches.

PIV 3.06Ghz
ATI Radeon 9600pro 256mb
Creative Audigy LS
512mb RAM

EDIT: Another thing, from those plugins you say you have on you sig I only have one more: AMIP.

EDIT2: I remenber having a very similar problem with Skinned Preferences by DrO and after checking in his website it seems to be related to XP. I'll browse for those posts.

NOTE: I am Dextro!
Old 22nd July 2004, 20:02   #323
siebe83
Forum King

Well, in that case I don't have a clue. Maybe it's white for me because my Winamp is screwed up (Joonas?)

Hehe, cool. Err, what's AMIP?
/thinking, thinking, abbreviation, what could it be..?

@Joonas, sorry for messing up your thread

[edit]
i'm using xp as well...
classic style though
i'll now try how it looks with xp style
YES, you are right:
with XP style, the text is black...
only that text though, the words on top of the window is white

@Joonas:
is it possible to define the text color of the modes the same as the words at the top? (i.e. 'Browse:' and 'Search for file... etc.')

Old 22nd July 2004, 20:06   #324
d3x7r0

LOL I just checked DrO's thread and the thread stops with DrO Saying he would try to see what he could do, nothing more from there...

btw AMIP stands for Advanced Mirc Integration Plugin, I hate that blasted thing but I don't want to script my own mp3 ad for mirc.

Old 22nd July 2004, 20:10   #325
siebe83
Forum King

ok, i see
I don't use mirc...
btw: take a look at my edit in my previous post

Old 22nd July 2004, 20:24   #326
jojo 544
Major Dude

Collor depends on skin, but yes, in many skins its hard to read that lines.

*sigh (still) under construction*
Old 22nd July 2004, 20:28   #327
d3x7r0

well just got to the bottom of it: KILL WINDOWS! JK

Damm Xp Style, I kind of like the Silver one

Old 23rd July 2004, 13:54   #328
Joonas
Forum King

Geez, you guys really had quite the discussion about the colors...funny thing though. The ones you think are "right" if I understand correctly "Browse", "Search for..." etc are the ones I forgot so they aren't handled at all
So I removed it for the older ones too, any change?

Though that's not a good fix anyway, can someone point me in the direction of the skin that doesn't display right so I can test it myself? (Always look splendid on my machine )

Quote:
- when 'display ... that orinate from playlist root in search mode' is UNCHECKED, tree playlists will still be displayed
I don't quite follow...tree playlists aren't root playlist and thus should be in Search mode, no? Or perhaps I'm not fully grasping what you're saying

I've had a heck of a few hours fixing your bug though, when you messed up in Preferences I think I've fixed it. On this machine it even got a little quicker to execute I dunno if it happend on ALL changes though...not for me at least. Only those that affects the tree structure I think...at least I don't get the error anymore, do you?

This'll be the last release before Sunday as I'm going away to visit my grandparents. try it and post all comments and bugs plz..

/Joonas
Old 23rd July 2004, 13:58   #329
Joonas
Forum King

Damn, school's messing with my account. Uploading it here instead. Link in signature only leads to the old release.

[edit]a few more comments...
* Tree can be hidden
* Think roots won't be lowercase now...at least not new ones
* View file info now works as in Winamp, Cancel, cancels all

These are the new stuff... + siebe's bug fix.

Just noticed that in fact there are a bug with the auto-update feature. That's something for me to do on Sunday
[/edit]

[edit2]
One last fix with switching...NOW I think it works
[/edit2]

/Joonas
Attached Files
File Type: zip gen_library.zip (55.7 KB, 201 views)

Last edited by Joonas; 23rd July 2004 at 14:32.
Old 23rd July 2004, 14:48   #330
Kebabrov

Quote:
Originally posted by Joonas
* Tree can be hidden
D'oh, I meant i wanted the file list hidden. Ah well, no problem, i made my own bodge-it fix in Visual Basic to mess with your window

I dont use the file list much, if at all, but the names are all lowercase (not much of a problem) and I'm guessin this is to do with some internal workings of the plugin (I do similar things with stuff). Does C++ have a function that converts lowercase to 'Proper case', e.g. "lost prophets - burn burn" will turn to "Lost Prophets - Burn Burn". It could be a temporary solution.

One last thing... the selected item colour for the tree isnt the same as the usual-skinned selection colour.

Cheers, and have fun at your grandparents
Old 23rd July 2004, 15:10   #331
Kebabrov

small bug

when resizing the window up and down, the treeview shrinks.

not exactly critical, but its there if you cant find anything better to fix
Old 24th July 2004, 18:31   #332
Joonas
Forum King

Ehm...all lowercase yes..but does it matter? It doesn't show since it always loads ID3-tags...?
I guess I can fix it though if it's important
I'll also look into making the file view disappear as well as the tree...

/Joonas
Old 25th July 2004, 10:54   #333
siebe83
Forum King

I don't like the lowercase...
it isn't possible to just show the filename as it is?
When the filenames were still displayed 'normal', the file order would be ABCabc, but that I preferred to how it is now...
What exactly is the reason to lowercase all?
(sorry if I missed something...)
Root folders/playlists are lowercase as well...
Also, the files are loaded in Winamp in lowercase as well
(I have 'read metadata on display' selected')

As far as I see, you fixed the bug

About the text colors: the problem only occurs when loading a XP style theme in Windows (not the 'classic' one). In that case, the text will be displayed black (in skin 'Winamp Classic'). It's still black in the latest release.
I think you need to use the 'window text color'.
(it's the fifth pixel in gen_ex.bmp, see here, though that's only for classic skins; the same problem is for modern skins (i.e. the 'mode' text is different from the other text when XP style theme is selected))
But I'm not a coder, so doubt this'll help you... :/

[edit]
when xp classic is loaded, the 'window text color' will be used for both
when xp style is loaded, the 'window text color' will only be used for 'browse' and 'search for file......(etc.)' only
i don't know which color is used for the 'mode' text in that case (as far as I see, it's always black?)

Old 25th July 2004, 11:18   #334
Joonas
Forum King

I don't get anything...the only thing that are lowercase are when the files are loaded into Winamp. All the rest is not...if they are just re-add the roots and it should be fixed...

oh and btw..what is XP Style theme? how do I set that?

/Joonas
Old 25th July 2004, 11:26   #335
siebe83
Forum King

ok, i'll try that.
But i don't get why filenames should be loaded in lowercase

If you right-click the desktop > properties, you can select themes at the tab 'Themes'.
If you want to keep your current theme, you can save it first. After that, load the 'Windows XP' theme there.

Old 25th July 2004, 11:46   #336
Joonas
Forum King

Filenames are loaded in lowercase since playlists where the case doesn't match the current case will not be loaded...that was the whole reason for why I changed that...
Although I don't see the problem...it doesn't show anywhere except in the View file info box that the path actually are lowercase...or in the Path column in DL granted...but everywhere else the ID3-tag supercedes the path and thus it doesn't matter, no?

/Joonas
Old 25th July 2004, 11:52   #337
chronon

Very nice plugin, but one small thing is annoying to me: very slow to show large list of files at first time, need to scroll the list fast a few times to make it faster. Maybe you should cache every thing like ML(or something like that). And one small idea: use winamp lighting to show DL would be cool.
Old 25th July 2004, 11:59   #338
Joonas
Forum King

It is slow because it works like Winamp Playlist editor and only reads the id3-tags of the files being requested. However, I will not pre-cache anything since that would null and void the whole point of this plugin; to accurately show your mp3-files on disc. I dislike caching since it requires me to scan the directory multiple times if I add and remove lots of files like I do myself...
If the reading of id3-files could be increased so let's say 2000 files could be read in like 5 seconds I would implement that it on every startup quickly reads all the id3-tags...however now we speak more of a 20-30 seconds delay which I don't find acceptible.
Sorry if I sound rude but this has been up for discussion before

/Joonas
Old 25th July 2004, 12:04   #339
siebe83
Forum King

It's not a big deal...
Suppose you have a folder with 2000 files in it. If you play that folder, all files will be loaded in the playlist in lowercase. The id3-info will not be read until the files are played or viewed. So when I press J (Jump to File box), almost all will be in lowercase.

It's just that I tend to be a perfectionist, so when I notice an error in the filename, I will correct it (also case errors). As it is now, that won't be possible in DL: I won't notice case errors.
But again, it's not a big deal and it doesn't downgrade your plugin

Old 25th July 2004, 12:06   #340
Kebabrov

Maybe it could draw the list items first with dashes in place of ID3 data, and then show the ID3 data once it has been read.

just a thought
Old 25th July 2004, 12:14   #341
shaneh
Major Dude

I havent read this entire thread, so sorry if youve already thought about this. I also just use the ML plus explorer so dont have much experience with this plugin. Anyway...

If you want to speed things up a bit, or at least give that illusion, you could try just quickly guessing the info from the filename and directory, and then read the ID3 stuff in a seperate thread.

This way the list will be availble virtually instantly, with the extra meta data filtering through as it becomes available. So the list can be scrolled painlessly, with the currently displayed items getting moved to the _front_ of the ID3 processing thread. This way when you pause scrolling on a selection of songs, they will be next to be processed. And the next items in the list will continue to be processed so the data is available when you scroll down a bit.
Old 25th July 2004, 12:34   #342
Joonas
Forum King

I've thought about the separate thread...but it would cause a lot of disc activity which I am uncertain would be considered any better...I mean your harddrive would tick a lot...but I guess I could try. Could be an option

I will also fix the lowercase issue since it seems to be an issue

/Joonas
Old 25th July 2004, 12:35   #343
Kebabrov

Quote:
Originally posted by Joonas
Could be an option
Nothing wrong with too many options
Old 25th July 2004, 12:38   #344
shaneh
Major Dude

The seperate thread would not have to process the entire collection or the entire list. You can limit the queue to whatever you like, but by having it at least large enough to process the current showing items plus a few more, the GUI will be much more responsive.

It will let you scroll while the tags are being processed. And if you pause for a bit, and your queue is large enough to process the next 10,50 100 or whatever items, resuming to scroll will be much better.
Old 25th July 2004, 12:46   #345
chronon

Sorry I did not read the entire thread, too much thing to read.

However ML cache id3tag when you add folders/files. ML have options to remove missing files and rescan the media folders, winamp team did this to make ML faster. I don't see how this would remove the hole point of the plugin since you read id3tag info when user selects a folder, this would just make it a better and faster plugin. Shaneh's idea isn't that bad, winamp do that if you have some options unchecked for playlist, it adds all files and then start reading id3tag info, I choose to read id3tag info when adding files.

sorry for my poor english...
Old 25th July 2004, 13:00   #346
Kebabrov

chronon, the reason joonas made the plugin was so that it was dynamic... so that it is an *exact* replica of the folder layout on the hard drive, whereas the library is more of a cache of the contents of the hard drive, so it requires updating.

however, I can see where you are coming from.

Joonas... maybe you could implement some simple sort cacheing of ID3 tags that get saved in a file. My first brainstorm of how it could be done: make a hash of the filename, and store this in a hashtable (or some other sort of fast-access data structure), so the next time that ID3 is needed it can be retreived without having to extract the ID3.

However, will accessing the hashtable/dictionary be any faster than just reading the ID3s. If the hashtable was stored in memory, then of course it would be, but this might eat a lot of memory for those that have many MP3s.
Old 25th July 2004, 13:22   #347
chronon

Kebabrov: OK now I've got it.

I don't to downgrade your plugin, but with a few improvements it could completely replace ML. However, I don't think everybody update the list at every minute to make it dynamic...it was just an idea. I'm programmer too, sometimes when people gives ideas for my programs I don't see the point to implement some feature, but I do make program not for me(just a little bit ) but for my program's users! (poetic isn't it?)
Old 25th July 2004, 13:26   #348
siebe83
Forum King

@Joonas:
it's not that i cannot live with filenames in lowercase
if it's easy too fix, would be great, but if it's too much trouble, don't bother

Old 25th July 2004, 13:45   #349
Joonas
Forum King

Quote:
I don't to downgrade your plugin, but with a few improvements it could completely replace ML. However, I don't think everybody update the list at every minute to make it dynamic...
Although if it's not dynamic I could just as well use ML

Quote:
it was just an idea. I'm programmer too, sometimes when people gives ideas for my programs I don't see the point to implement some feature, but I do make program not for me(just a little bit ) but for my program's users! (poetic isn't it?) [/B]
Yes and the idea wasn't bad I agree that the program is not for me alone but that's has been the whole point of this thread...I had most of the stuff I wanted from this plugin at day 1 but see how far we've come I might sound like I am throwing your suggestions away but I only need to understand the "why" and all these little things. By understanding the reason for a feature request I can hopefully make the feature better suited than if I just throw in every little thing...

As for this Id3-thing...I am currently looking into the solution of using a separate thread to access the tags. There will not be any static file where the id3-tags will be saved. Yes it would be faster, but no I hate those things

/Joonas
Old 25th July 2004, 15:46   #350
Joonas
Forum King

* No lowercase anymore...

I hope the ID3-reading is a bit faster now...the update thread got the task of reading ahead a bit...might have to add more to that queue but it's a fine-tuning. I don't want it to hog the harddrive too much...and on my computer (XP 1900+) it runs pretty smoothly. So let's hear your opinions...

About the XP thingie...ahm well. I have to test that out some more...I dunno what's going on really, but I guess some color that's white in Classic W2k style is black in XP...

Ah well..

/Joonas
Old 25th July 2004, 15:48   #351
Joonas
Forum King

Good thing to attach the plugin as well..

/Joonas
Attached Files
File Type: zip gen_library.zip (55.8 KB, 183 views)
Old 25th July 2004, 16:01   #352
siebe83
Forum King

cool!
i appreciate you took the effort!
(though i did not test the tree playlists yet)

scrolling is smoother now, as long as you don't scroll too fast
i like it

did you change anything concerning the layout in the latest release?
(see attached screenshot)

[edit]
good job on the divider thing! (i.e. possibility to hide tree or list view)
except for the mode buttons
isn't it possible to position those buttons relative to the search bar?
(instead of right-aligning them, as i suppose now is the case)
[edit2]
not sure wether my suggestion in my edit ^^^ makes sense... :/
Attached Images
File Type: png scroll-mode.png (1.9 KB, 233 views)

Last edited by siebe83; 25th July 2004 at 16:24.
Old 25th July 2004, 16:21   #353
Kebabrov

joonas, excellent work with the splitter. I can decommision my VB thing now

still needs a bit of work...
when just the treeview is visible, the radio buttons are still there.
when the filelist is visible, the listview is slightly too large... maybe the width of the splitter hasnt been taken away? the radio buttons should be moved to the left a bit. finally, it may be an idea to abbreviate them so they say 'browse' and 'search' when it is smallish, and then 'B' and 'S' when it is absolutely tiny. this should allow the search textbox to be larger.

Great work!
Old 25th July 2004, 21:36   #354
chronon

something wierd: when changing the size of the window the splitter moves by itself, making treeview disappear.
Old 25th July 2004, 21:42   #355
Joonas
Forum King

* Fixed so that the tree doesn't move when resizing window
* Also tweaked it a bit, and made it so that Search and Browse mode becomes just Search and Browse when the window is small enough

Try and comment.

/Joonas
Attached Files
File Type: zip gen_library.zip (55.9 KB, 183 views)
Old 25th July 2004, 22:29   #356
chronon

Small bug, radio button still show
and if you move the splitter all to right and change the size of the window really fast, the splitter don't move correctly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imagem.jpg (1.7 KB, 195 views)
Old 25th July 2004, 23:34   #357
Kebabrov

i think some of the problems with sizes are caused by using the 'client area' (not including scrollbars) width of the treeview instead of the full width. (of course, i may just be talking crap, but here are the bugs i've found anyway)...

make the treeview so it is quite wide (much wider than longest item) and has its vertical scroll bar, then resize the window vertically so that the scrollbar is not needed, and disappears. then make it smaller again, and then bigger, and the treeview will shrink, until it is just large enough to show the longest named item.

another...
resize the treeview so that it is just wide enough to show the longest named item, then wiggle it a little to find a 'sweet spot' where it will dance about.

and one more...
make the treeview small so that the horizontal scroller is needed, but the vertical scroller is not visible. now make the whole window smaller, and the treeview will grow until it fits the widest named item.

final suggestions:
when making the window larger, maybe set the tree and list views so they are the same % width of the window as before
maybe an option to lock the treeview width during resizing of the window
maybe an option when expanding the window, only resize the treeview until the horizontal scroller is not needed. (i think you were trying this?)

btw... I hope you feel that i am just giving you feedback... and not that i'm demanding stuff or saying it sux... because it really doesnt suck
Old 25th July 2004, 23:52   #358
D&B
Banned

Very cool plugin, thanks alot. I just found it.

I haven't read through the 9 pages of this thread, cause Im lazy and have to go study, but here are my 2 thoughts:

1. For the File Types field in the options, can it just use the filetypes from winamps preferences? I have a ton of input plugins set for a ton of fileformats, do I really have to type them in? Cant it be smart about it?

2. I wish this could be a pane in the ML, or otherwise somehow integrated. Im already flipping through the PL, ML, and JTFE windows, one less one would be nice.
Old 26th July 2004, 00:35   #359
jojo 544
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by badrad
Im already flipping through the PL, ML, and JTFE windows, one less one would be nice.
Yes, i just found the singleGUI skin,
http://www.downloadcounter.com/cgi-b...=21&nobounce=1
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....&pagenumber=1I also like the all in one window, but it's not finished (beta version).

It would be nice if you could toggle between ML & DL.
The button that opens ML would then also work for DL, same for the lib. space in UI skin.

You're not the first asking to make it a ML plugin, but let's wait till its finished standing on its own, and then see what happens
Old 26th July 2004, 01:22   #360
D&B
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by jojo 544
Yes, i just found the singleGUI skin,
http://www.downloadcounter.com/cgi-b...=21&nobounce=1
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....&pagenumber=1I also like the all in one window, but it's not finished (beta version).
That is sweet. My default already! Even more of a reason for the DL to be integrated somehow to in ML now.
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Developer Center > Winamp Development