Old 17th February 2006, 18:20   #1
testa12

RIAA to make CD ripping illegal?

I hope for WINAMPs sake, this article isnt true...

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=29733
testa12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2006, 18:33   #2
Squadman

Send a message via AIM to Squadman
There's no way they could pull that off...
Squadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2006, 18:36   #3
testa12

well, theyve just about got their way already with these new copy protected CDs that are flying about.

What I find really sad is not only are they going after the music pirates (which is acceptible), but they are going for the average person who just wants to listen to music on their walkman as well as on the CD.

The whole copy protection thing sucks IMO
testa12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2006, 20:20   #4
Squadman

Send a message via AIM to Squadman
Yeah, but, they'd never be able to stop CD-Ripping completly.

They're are just too many CD's and CD Drives out there.
Squadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2006, 20:25   #5
YtseJam
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to YtseJam Send a message via AIM to YtseJam
This one is just pathetic. See-through. Pointless. Moot.

*shrugs*

YtseJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2006, 12:09   #6
bemymonkey

Hahah, don't worry, it's hopeless. Someone will always find a way to crack the copy protection and put the music on Bittorrent or something like that - the only people they're screwing are the ones who actually BUY the CD... and if they really do this, I won't be one of those any more.

Weeeeeeeeeeee
bemymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2006, 05:52   #7
MarkRH

Well, if some copy protection scheme was employed, all you'd have to do is play the CD normally and then select the "What you hear" option in the Sound Card mixer and record the audio that way. Or, play it in an external audio-cd player that is connected to the line-in jacks on the sound card and record it that way.

What's kind of funny, is that the last several CDs I've purchased, I purchased them because I wanted to rip the music into MP3s I could play on my Jukebox in the truck or stream to work and listen to them there without hauling the CD itself around.

I don't buy music from iTunes or any of those other stores because I'd be stuck to that format which is generally lower quality than a CD should I choose to record/convert them to another format.

If there was some audio CD like that, I'd probably be more inclined to just not buy the CD.
MarkRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2006, 09:02   #8
The Goat

if you un-DRM the music from itunes into the same format (but this time, unprotected) with same settings (128kbps/44khz), there is no loss. (128kbps/44khz in itunes encoded AAC has less loss than mp3 in 128kbps/44khz)

As for recording to the line-in or 'what u hear;' that's pretty much true. If you're using a sound blaster (any model), make sure the dsp effects are off (in case you want them on) because it isn't called 'what u hear' for nothing.
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2006, 10:21   #9
bemymonkey

Quote:
Originally posted by The Goat
if you un-DRM the music from itunes into the same format (but this time, unprotected) with same settings (128kbps/44khz), there is no loss. (128kbps/44khz in itunes encoded AAC has less loss than mp3 in 128kbps/44khz)
Not quite... Going from lossy to lossy is always bad, even if you're going from 320kbps to 128kbps... might not always be noticable, but if they're files you want to keep and maybe use for other stuff too, it's not advisable...

Weeeeeeeeeeee
Old 19th February 2006, 20:49   #10
The Goat

I know about the negatives of transcoding, but do this.

Get a song from itunes, un-DRM, but instead make the app spit out a WAV (DO NOT make the app delete the original). Then un-drm the same file you bought into unprotected aac (aka m4a). Do a spectrum analyzation.

There should be no loss going from lossy -> lossless.
Old 19th February 2006, 21:07   #11
Kickboy12

Send a message via ICQ to Kickboy12 Send a message via AIM to Kickboy12 Send a message via Yahoo to Kickboy12
I'll say it again:

As long as the CD can be read, it can be copied. Not ammount of DRM or fancy protection schemes is ever going to change that.

[@imho] man
[@imho] I had dreams about unit testing last night :-(
[@sim`a] i have nightmares about syntax errors, whats your point
Kickboy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2006, 16:20   #12
Lord Darius

I think RIAA and friends will end up banning the use of computers...
after all, computers are nothing but a tool for pirates, thieves, criminals, spammers, crackers... etc
so... yes, let's make computers illegal, and so piracy will disappear

side-effects ? they don't care, as long as they can sell cds...
Lord Darius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2006, 20:27   #13
Omega X
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Omega X Send a message via Yahoo to Omega X
Quote:
Originally posted by The Goat
I know about the negatives of transcoding, but do this.

Get a song from itunes, un-DRM, but instead make the app spit out a WAV (DO NOT make the app delete the original). Then un-drm the same file you bought into unprotected aac (aka m4a). Do a spectrum analyzation.

There should be no loss going from lossy -> lossless.
M4A = MP4 = ACC

Un-DRM and get a program to change the container from M4A to MP4 or AAC. No transcoding necessary.
Omega X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2006, 21:06   #14
The Goat

I know what it is. <_<

m4a is usually AAC in an mpeg-4 container
Old 23rd February 2006, 08:24   #15
UltraZelda64

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkRH
Well, if some copy protection scheme was employed, all you'd have to do is play the CD normally and then select the "What you hear" option in the Sound Card mixer and record the audio that way. Or, play it in an external audio-cd player that is connected to the line-in jacks on the sound card and record it that way.

What's kind of funny, is that the last several CDs I've purchased, I purchased them because I wanted to rip the music into MP3s I could play on my Jukebox in the truck or stream to work and listen to them there without hauling the CD itself around.

I don't buy music from iTunes or any of those other stores because I'd be stuck to that format which is generally lower quality than a CD should I choose to record/convert them to another format.

If there was some audio CD like that, I'd probably be more inclined to just not buy the CD.
Very well said. Practically every "album" I have (get this) "bought" in the last several years was in CD Audio format. Why? Not exactly because I want to support those greedy dickheads at the RIAA, but because I simply want to buy my music in a familiar format, so I can easily rip it in the same exact quality to my computer in lossless format.

This way, I will have the ability to convert these files to MP3 or whatever else lossy format I can, and keep a copy on my PC to be able to play while gaming on my Xbox 360 when I get it. Also, I will be able to create MP3 CDs (or DVDs if I get a head unit upgrade) to play in my car instead of switching CDs and wearing them out by constant usage and extreme temperatures.

Sorry, but CDs are NOT durable enough to depend on for normal use where temperatures can reach the extremes, and even regular use unfortunately causes some nasty scratches. It's something that can't be helped, so a backup is damn-near required.
UltraZelda64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2006, 10:10   #16
bemymonkey

Quote:
Originally posted by UltraZelda64
Very well said. Practically every "album" I have (get this) "bought" in the last several years was in CD Audio format. Why? Not exactly because I want to support those greedy dickheads at the RIAA, but because I simply want to buy my music in a familiar format, so I can easily rip it in the same exact quality to my computer in lossless format.

This way, I will have the ability to convert these files to MP3 or whatever else lossy format I can, and keep a copy on my PC to be able to play while gaming on my Xbox 360 when I get it. Also, I will be able to create MP3 CDs (or DVDs if I get a head unit upgrade) to play in my car instead of switching CDs and wearing them out by constant usage and extreme temperatures.

Sorry, but CDs are NOT durable enough to depend on for normal use where temperatures can reach the extremes, and even regular use unfortunately causes some nasty scratches. It's something that can't be helped, so a backup is damn-near required.
My thoughts exactly - I have about 400-500 CDs in storage, all in perfect condition, most of them taken out of the case only once or twice to rip 'em... This way I can prolong the life of my music collection by a looooooooong way.

I'm starting to hate this world where consumers continue to buy DRM-restricted media without a second thought (the majority of people still do, that's why the RIAA is able to impose such RIDICULOUS restrictions on us...). I think if this law goes through (I hardly think it will, what with the huge revenues due to MP3 player sales), I'll stop buying CDs altogether and turn to illegal sources for my music (those will always be there - whether CD ripping is illegal or not, obviously...)- I'll spend my money on guitars instead of crappy DRM-wrapped CDs.

Screw RIAA.

Weeeeeeeeeeee
Old 9th June 2006, 16:45   #17
Cirkustanz

Every time that I have been aware of a CD having wierd copy systems that created annoyance for the end user, it has only ended in catastrophe.

Sony root-kit anyone?
Cirkustanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion