Old 12th December 2010, 16:46   #161
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
The Midwest got hit pretty hard yesterday. This pic is from this morning. A few of the roads have been one-lane plowed, but I wouldn't try taking a car on them. I had trouble even with a 4x4 pickup getting around. Right now it's 1 degree Fahrenheit.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2011, 03:15   #162
amp'd

Whoever started ths thread is a douché, the term is "climate change".
amp'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2011, 04:45   #163
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amp'd View Post
Whoever started ths thread is a douché, the term is "climate change".
"The term" depends on who is speaking.

I have already used both "climate change" and "global warming", and although scientists have agreed on one over the other, that doesn't mean people should lose terms based on what others say. Our globe (overall) is warming; that is proven. Those who say "global warming" aren't measurably wrong if you consider the planet as a whole.

Like I said before, the change in climate isn't the question. The cause is the question. [Human, or unrelated factors?] Arguing over what to call it is a waste of time and doesn't lead to any productivity whatsoever.

Calling someone a douche, and worse yet, tossing an acute accent over the e makes you lose a lot of credibility. Name calling only makes sense if the name actually describes the accused in a related and appropriate way. Instead, you used a feminine hygiene product to describe someone's use of vocabulary, while going out of your way to use punctuation that doesn't even make sense for that word anytime, anywhere.

While I don't mind people presenting an argument, I do find it annoying when someone resorts to unrelated name-calling and completely out-of-place punctuation.

(can you tell I'm in a bad mood today?)

Oh, and since I've treated this as a thread to post snow pictures, it would be unfitting for me to post without a snow pic. Here's an odd pic of the car's wheel.

Old 6th March 2011, 05:19   #164
amp'd

My, you are having a bad day if you are having a pop at someone for spelling a word correctly.
amp'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011, 10:44   #165
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Our globe (overall) is warming; that is proven.
I don't think there is enough evidence to prove that as a trend in a time scale that would be necessary to make such a statement. The world has probably been getting warmer, but we don't have enough data to prove that to be the case over the long term.

Will the world be warmer in 100 years than now? I don't think anyone knows.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011, 13:13   #166
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Send a message via Yahoo to Too-DAMN-Much
Quote:
Originally Posted by amp'd View Post
My, you are having a bad day if you are having a pop at someone for spelling a word correctly.
same could be said of anyone still proud of being wrong.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/douche

I hate everyone, so you don't have to.
Too-DAMN-Much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2011, 23:16   #167
timewarptickers

Does it really matter that much, even if "global warming" isn't real could we just try to ruin the environment less anyway or are those ideas mutually exclusive
timewarptickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 07:49   #168
thinktink
Forum King

Send a message via Skype™ to thinktink
Quote:
Originally Posted by timewarptickers View Post
Does it really matter that much, even if "global warming" isn't real could we just try to ruin the environment less anyway or are those ideas mutually exclusive
Your question presumes that mankind's activities causes environmental "ruin." Personal environmental stewardship is not the issue. The validity of the theory of anthropomorphic climate change is challenged and the consequences of it's promoters' solutions are dire.

http://reason.com/archives/2010/11/1...ironmentalists
http://www.washington.edu/uwpress/se...ks/HUGFRC.html
https://students.law.duke.edu/shell/...Pol%27y+F.+161
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=33169880349
thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 05:47   #169
itsupportguys

haha so classic.
itsupportguys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2012, 00:41   #170
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Not sure where else to post this, but...

http://g1.globo.com/mundo/noticia/20...a-croacia.html

Old 19th November 2012, 21:28   #171
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I am 46 years now. And I know the difference between the 70ies / 80ies and today...
I am living in Berlin (Germany) since my birth. In my childhood there was a lot of snow in the winter, nowadays only very rare snow. Sleigh or build snowmen, these things have become very difficult. If we have snow, I see families with sledge, of course. Today, the ice on the lakes is very thin, so it is too dangerous to walk over the lakes. But in the 70ies / 80ies we were able to do that...
I have to think of the icebears and penguins in the polar landscapes. Where should they go, if the ice is melting forever? The global warming will become a very big problem for the "fauna & flora"...
When I became an adult, in my fantasy I was flying over the "Land Of Eternal Ice". I had drawn and painted many pictures with polar landscapes. 2009 I began to create Terragen Artwork, which I have used also for my YouTube-Uploads:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...4267684&type=3
I don't want to lose the "Land Of Eternal Ice" on "Planet Earth", because it is so unique. But can we avoid this loss? I don't know that...
Greetings from Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 08:47   #172
LostinSpaceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too-DAMN-Much View Post
same could be said of anyone still proud of being wrong.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/douche

I'll see your Mirriam's and raise you an Urban Dictionary! LOL!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...&defid=5607367
LostinSpaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 21:11   #173
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

My personal opinion: (not based on anything because for every study that proves one thing there are at least 10 different studies that prove otherwise):

Our climate is always changing. Sometimes it goes faster than at other times but it's always changing. Maybe we caused everything, maybe we didn't change a thing at all and maybe, most likely, we changed it for less than 1%. Maybe we'll have a new ice age within 100 years, maybe the Sahara desert will be a rainforest... Thinking we have complete control over this gives arrogance a new definition. My suggestion would be to deal with it, no matter what comes.

Still, we'll have to take care of our planet as much as we can but it's not like we're completely responsible for whatever happens.

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Warrior of the Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2012, 10:17   #174
rockouthippie
Banned

Africa desperately needs power production facilities. And the G8 countries have decided that because Africa might create some greenhouse gas, that they can have 2 nuclear plants, mainly for the South Africans who have about half the power they could really use. The rest of Africa gets three solar powered yard lights. If you look carefully at this satellite picture, you'll see the 3 yard lights.

In that pitch black, live 1 billion people.

The G8 or members could easily build Africa some cheap coal plants but they won't. It's gotta be green. And Africa can't afford green. So it's dark. A billion people. 400,000 with access to electricity.

We might have some West Coast cities below Sea Level in 2180. But cities in Oregon and Washington probably aren't gonna last that long. The Japanese earthquake is prophetic and we're almost completely unprotected. We didn't know we were in an earthquake skull and crossbones, so we aren't built for it.

So.. since town isn't gonna be here anyway...... I think we should help the Africans.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 21st November 2012 at 13:11.
Old 21st November 2012, 13:05   #175
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Today we cannot believe anymore, a life can be very nice also without electric power. In the TV-Documentations they are trying to tell us, how we can live with less energy consumption. We can try to do that, but we will never be 100% perfect. Alternative energie sources are much better, of course. I have already seen a lot of wind power plants on the yearly group tours since 2007. 30 years ago I saw a lot of coal power plants, when we did the family travel several times a year...
But we didn't have always electric power in the history of the civilization...
How did the ancient indigenous people live for thousands of years, for example the Indians in North America? I don't think, they had lived bad. No, they got along very well with their life instead...
If the europeans would be suddenly forced to live the same life-style, they will have problems, because they don't know that...
They would miss many things, of course, but a spiritual life would be also wonderful. I am thinking of the very nice old cultures now, also of the celtic people near Stonehenge...
We cannot do something anymore against these changes, because we have them already, also, if we would only use alternative energy sources in the future. But we can try to do the best, to maintain these changes in boundaries...
Old 21st November 2012, 13:12   #176
rockouthippie
Banned

Those Africans are perfect. Zero carbon footprint permanently.

I agree that with you that we need to adopt a more agrarian existence, but screw running around trying to stab a deer with a stick if you need lunch.
Old 21st November 2012, 13:21   #177
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I think, I am one of the people, who are not very good and who don't do very good things for the "Planet Earth"...
Old 21st November 2012, 13:35   #178
rockouthippie
Banned

I assuming that you didn't take a private jet to Finland. Then fly around in a helicopter and watch ice melt. That's our ex-famous speaker of the house Nancy Pelosi. She got there and said... wow... it's water.. Is that what happens when ice melts? I thought only gin did that. It must be global warming.
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Community Center > The Bitchlist