Old 5th January 2009, 01:04   #81
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

Global warming is a stupid term, much used in error and for propaganda. It should be, global climate change (which is initiated by a warming trend in ocean waters due to holes in the ozone layer over the poles).

"Which is worse, ignorance or indifference?"

"I don't know, and I don't care."
watadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 01:09   #82
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
@W-W ~ Beautiful. Thanks for posting.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 04:27   #83
sgtfuzzbubble011

The low temperature tonight is supposed to be 8f. More snow forecast for tomorrow with 1 to 3 inches by tomorrow night. High temperature tomorrow is supposed to be below freezing.

Woo.
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 05:19   #84
Razzinno
Piffle Producer

Fort Yukon, Alaska -47°F

The worst I've seen in Ohio so far this season, is -1°F. Less than a week later it was 63°F.
Razzinno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 05:50   #85
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Yeah, that was strange... I was out on the patio of Renee's parents' place (just south of Canton, Ohio) in a long sleeve shirt (no jacket) talking to some friends on the phone, and I could swear it was even warmer than 63. It was some time between the 26th and the 30th of December. Later, still before New Year's, there was a bad thunderstorm (lots of lightning) in western Pennsylvania, something I have NEVER seen between Christmas and New Year's. Strange.

Now that I'm back in South Dakota, I'm back to the cold, but it's not intolerable.

Old 6th January 2009, 02:29   #86
gas-attack

Send a message via ICQ to gas-attack
When I read some of the posts here, I must say that we're relatively lucky with the weather here in Europe (SW Germany). The lowest temp I recorded during the last weeks was -6°C (21.2°F), At the moment (3 AM) we have -5,5°C (22,1°F). But the last two years were definitely warmer (no snow at all last winter, except a little on Eastern (!)).
The coldest I've ever experienced over here was -19,9°C (-2,2°F) on Sylvester 1996 and the warmest was 41°C (105,8°C) in Aug 2003 and Jul 2006.

However I've always been against the theory of significant man-made influence on climate ever since that global warming hystery started ~2 years ago. There are enough credible scientists in the world who have alternative theories for the climate change we're (maybe?) just experiencing, but they are all ignored by the IPCC. It wouldn't amaze me if some of the officials there were actually "funded" by those who profit from that hystery (like e.g. solar cell manufacturers). I'm glad that all that fucking "global warming hype" has decreased strongly during the last half year, thanks to the current global economical crisis, and I hope it never comes back again, at least not in that annoying form (WE WILL ALL DIE, IF WE DON'T ... BLA BLA BLA )!
gas-attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 04:37   #87
sgtfuzzbubble011

Snowed 3 inches this afternoon. And I was working out in it. Again. It stayed well below freezing all day long. We actually had to have another coworker bring out a large diesel-powered jet heater just to keep the back of the drill rig and the tooling from freezing up. 12 hours out in that crap. I'm tired.
Old 6th January 2009, 22:30   #88
gas-attack

Send a message via ICQ to gas-attack
Yay! New negative temp record for this season until now: -11,2°C (11,8°F), and it's just 11:30pm here. I'm curious what the night minimum will be... And I'm even living in one of the warmest parts of Germany. There was a low of -24,8°C (-12,6°F) in Saxony last night.

And BTW, driving a 14-year-old car without air conditioning really sucks That thing takes about half an hour to reach an acceptable temperature.
gas-attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2009, 03:21   #89
sgtfuzzbubble011

Worked 12.5 hours out in that crap today. It never stopped snowing the entire time we were out there.
Old 8th January 2009, 02:33   #90
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

You know, after a few years indoors (with the exception of the paint crew during summers), I think a job like yours would be good for me. For some demented reason I like cold weather so long as I can find a way to stay mostly dry.

Old 8th January 2009, 05:06   #91
sgtfuzzbubble011

Staying dry in this line of work is definitely not guaranteed, but once you know the basics and a few tricks of the trade, that goal is mostly attainable. And there's a somewhat decent possibility that my boss might be hiring for a couple new positions in the not-so-overly-distant future. It's tough work, things go wrong sometimes, the weather and site conditions are never ideal, site technicians can be a pain in the ass sometimes, and personal injury is always lurking close by... but it's an honest living.

Today wasn't quite as bad as the last two days (as for the weather, anyway). It was sunny and much warmer (it warmed up to a little above freezing). We finally finished the boring we've been working on for the past several days. The site tech was expecting us to hit rock at ~135 feet. We drilled 165 feet and still had nothing but soft slightly sandy silty clay, which is not good for the supporting foundation of a proposed bidge overpass. The engineering firm and subcontractors ought to have fun with that project. :P
Old 8th January 2009, 06:00   #92
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

The beauty of it is that you get paid your same rate whether the project is successful or not, right? Although the long term might be less desirable.

Old 9th January 2009, 05:21   #93
sgtfuzzbubble011

The success of each project determines how much work we get in the future. If the site technicians/engineers like the work we do, we get more jobs from them as they pop up. If we constantly screw things up, damage things due to neglegence, cause personaly injury which could have been avoided, etc... then we probably won't be chosen to do future work for them. Of course, things happen that we just can't control. Samples will fall out of the sampling tubes from time to time. Equipment will be damaged here and there. Drilling tools will be lost in the ground on occasion. Traffic and weather conditions will cause us to be late once in a while. And regardless of how great a site might appear on the surface, it's a completely different ballgame 50 or 100 feet below. "I'm sorry the shelby tube was damaged, but we shoved it into a layer of SOLID ROCK with 10,000 POUNDS of pressure."

My company pays me a steady hourly rate regardless of which client we happen to be working for each particular time. My time is billed to the client that we're working for on each particular job, so yeah, I get paid the same amount regardless of how well the job goes. We try to make the jobs go well so that we'll get more business from the clients, though. I just hope I can stick with it for a while.
Old 9th January 2009, 05:32   #94
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

That's basically what I meant. I'm just saying work time = pay for you, while others either get paid big for success or owe money for fail.

Old 9th January 2009, 07:12   #95
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Send a message via Yahoo to Too-DAMN-Much
weatherman.

be wrong 365 days and still have job security. that's cushy

I hate everyone, so you don't have to.
Too-DAMN-Much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2009, 09:56   #96
Razzinno
Piffle Producer

Today I have -18°F (-28°C). About the only area colder on the continental US map at this moment is in Maine where it is 33 below 0 (F).

[edit - I see now a few miles west of me, it's -26F.]

Last edited by Razzinno; 17th January 2009 at 10:53.
Old 17th January 2009, 14:44   #97
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

jeezze, we're in the middle of a drought cycle and are seeing the warmest and driest January since the last drought back in the late seventies. It was in the 70's and sunny all week in San Francisco. lots of girls in shorts and tanks. A bit of upside to the lack of moisture. The Sierra are 40-60% down from the usual snow pack and water shortages, power failure and fire will be a part of next summer. Yet the rest of the country freezes under a shitpile of snow and ice. Freaky weather this winter.

Old 26th January 2009, 04:07   #98
sgtfuzzbubble011

It was raining for the past few days, and it switched from raining to snowing earlier today. Got an inch or two on the ground now, and it's supposed to continue through tomorrow sometime. Power connector fried last night, so we had no heat in the camper. Froze my ass off trying to get sleep. Had to get a new connector and cut/splice/repair the cable this morning out in the rain/snow. And fun was had by all.
Old 27th January 2009, 04:18   #99
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88

WTF is this shit?

3"-5" in Louisville expected tonight

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009, 04:42   #100
Razzinno
Piffle Producer

and it's coming my way...

yeh!
Old 28th January 2009, 04:33   #101
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Our temps range from -5F to +25 We have about 4-6 inches on the ground. Not bad really.

Old 19th March 2009, 05:38   #102
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Old 21st March 2009, 18:18   #103
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Too-DAMN-Much
weatherman.

be wrong 365 days and still have job security. that's cushy
Sorta like being a US President, CEO of AIG or in Congress....
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 17:49   #104
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Last night we went from no snow at all to a couple feet of snow. Last day of March. Go figure.

Some of the drifts go right over buildings making them look like a roof that starts at the ground.

Old 1st April 2009, 02:04   #105
rockouthippie
Banned

Here's Daisy trying to find global warming:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KPznwYUYEM

Note the look of confusion. Daisy was a liberal, but she's beginning to realize that Bush wasn't the only one that lied.
Old 1st April 2009, 06:02   #106
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I liked the post and video until the political part. She looks like she's doing pretty well otherwise though.

We had a 2:00 p.m. early dismissal Monday, School off Tuesday, and (at least so far) a 10:00 a.m. late start Wednesday. Here's why (this is where I work):

Old 5th April 2009, 10:35   #107
rockouthippie
Banned

Daisy is such a priss. She really hates to get wet. I wish I had the conversation I had with her that morning on video.

"Daisy, go outside". She took one look and turned around at the door. "Look... I know you have to go potty". The gears turned and you could see what she was thinking.... "Hmmm... yeah... Potty... Oh crap!... Yep. I'm floatin'" and off she went crashing through the layer of ice that covered the snow that morning.

I've trained her to stay on the back door floor mat if she's wet....until dry.... The 20 minutes of segregation seems to be unbearable, especially for Daisy... for some reason... She is really good about it, though.... cleans the mud off her paws.... waits until she's "good to go". I can say "Good to go" if she's not that wet or I clean her feet. Very occasionally she'll "forget" and track up the kitchen, but not very often. Then you say "It's MUD!" and she gets all embarrassed and a little chagrined that she didn't get to pull a fast one on me..... off back to the matt to clean her paws.

She was giving the vet technician a little drag at the vet's office the other day. A boxer puppy wanted to play. 90lbs of Daisy and 95 pounds of cute little vet tech wasn't working out so hot. I told the vet tech to tell her to "Heel" ... Daisy immediately stopped like "Yes.. maam!".

Funny dog.

Yeah, despite Daisy's near demise a year and a half ago from her AIHA, she seems to be doing pretty well on her meds. She'll be 8 this year.... no gray yet.. a few aches and pains like an older dog, but otherwise seems real good. Just about a miracle really. AIHA is mostly fatal. The vet said putting her down was a reasonable option. Glad I didn't. I almost did. Talk about luck out! One of her meds went to generic this year, so instead of $44 a month, it's now $4. Neat

Last edited by rockouthippie; 5th April 2009 at 11:19.
Old 5th April 2009, 19:35   #108
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

The link below has a few more winter shots of our area. Come and visit! Renee and I have rooms with spectacular views!

http://img11.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=img2038i.jpg

Old 5th April 2009, 19:45   #109
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

No thanks, I'll stick to the glorious spring that has just this week sprung.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7329510@N06/3269451365/

Old 5th April 2009, 21:55   #110
rockouthippie
Banned

Beauty weather here in Oregon too. 65F ... supposed to be 74 tomorrow.
Old 5th April 2009, 23:25   #111
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Snow finally stopped falling, sun is out. Perhaps the meltdown will start now. I should just put my CPU out there and all of the snow will be gone.

Old 6th April 2009, 17:55   #112
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Yeah, so it was nice and near-70 on Sunday, rain game in throughout the night because of the cold front, and now it's in the 30s, still drizzling, and there's talks of light flurries tomorrow, with highs in the lower-40s...

Wednesday should bring back the 60s and sun...

But what the fuck? In April?

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009, 17:53   #113
terry31

Alternative energy sources are, I think,
and there is that direction which will deduce the world from crisis.
The epoch of oil and gas monopolies will end.
terry31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009, 18:00   #114
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

WTF?
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009, 19:21   #115
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

???

Anyway, We had a day of 100 Fahrenheit last week; since then it's been in the high 60's.

Old 28th May 2009, 19:40   #116
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to ryan
Quote:
Originally posted by swingdjted
[ url=http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/7125/1191tm.jpg][Image][/ url]
Only good proof I've ever seen for global war... er climate change. Whatever the fuck they're calling it.
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2009, 20:58   #117
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

Here's a nice then and now glacier image from livescience.com

http://www.livescience.com/environme...cier_melt.html

Old 28th May 2009, 21:05   #118
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

Actually here is a better link to a photo gallery. some not terribly striking, some pretty amazing.
http://www.livescience.com/php/multi...gid=42&index=0

I was in British Columbia last summer and they have this huge glacier you can walk out on and on the hike up to it they have markers showing the leading edge of the glacier, or where it used to be in 20 year increments. Melting pretty fast, it is.

No big deal you might think, but glaciers are major aquifers. no water no crops.

Old 28th May 2009, 23:33   #119
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to ryan
see here
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2009, 02:55   #120
Razzinno
Piffle Producer

July: one of the coolest. Curious thing about global warming advocates; no matter how hot or cold it gets, they always claim global warming is the cause of it.
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Community Center > The Bitchlist